Wilson37
REWB
Citrus
SamuelJayC
El Gunner
Jay29
18 posters

Go down

Arsenal 4 - 1 Norwich City: Some sloppiness, some magical goals Empty Arsenal 4 - 1 Norwich City: Some sloppiness, some magical goals

Post by Jay29 Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:35 pm

In a lot of ways, that game embodies the modern day Arsenal. Nowadays, we don't batter teams. We don't camp in the opposition half and apply relentless attacking pressure, nor do we swarm around the opposition and try to win the ball quickly; not on a consistent basis, anyway. We create fewer chances, but the ones we do create we tend to convert, and if we have to do some defending and not take any risks, then we'll do that, too. All that sounds boringly methodical, but when we get it right, it's damn fantastic to watch.

It wasn't a completely dominant performance as there were periods of sloppy play from us and Norwich did play well and gave us some trouble. The opening twenty to thirty minutes from us were very good, with us pressing Norwich and keeping the ball in their half. We scored a sensational goal, too. For the last fifteen minutes of that half, Norwich came into the game. We stood off them more and that allowed to keep the ball more, and some sloppiness crept into our play in the form of inaccurate passes. This continued into the early exchanges of the second half, though we managed to grab a second goal on the counter. Norwich kept going and scored a nice goal themselves, though our defending was, well, sloppy.

I like how we reacted to the goal, though. We upped our game a bit and started to assert ourselves more, pinning them back into their half without being too gung-ho in an attempt to kill the game off. We got that vital third goal when things were more comfortable for us and that seemed to deflate Norwich. The fourth goal wrapped things up nicely and had we more time, we probably could have scored more.

Nonetheless, it was a very good win and we can draw the usual conclusions from it. Playing five midfielders can produce some great football, but doesn't offer enough penetration. Although we kept the ball a lot, we created little chances and have to rely on quick, one-touch passing and counters to unlock the opposition. That's great if you can pull it off consistently, but I think that Walcott or Podolski need to go straight back into the side when they return from injury.

At the back, we're starting to leak one too many goals. We haven't kept many clean sheets so far this season and this could prove costly for us in tighter games that will be decided by just the one goal. It's something we really need to stamp out before it becomes a habit.

On a more positive note, it's nice to sweep aside a weaker team at home as we haven't really done that enough since moving to the Emirates. Results like this, and the way it was obtained, will help make the Emirates a place teams are afraid to come to again.

Players-wise, Jack Wilshere was excellent all throughout today's game and was my man of the match. Everyone else played well to varying degrees; Giroud managed two assists, but didn't have much to feed on in front of goal, and Özil was efficient without being too spectacular. Cazorla looked good in the time he was on the pitch. Ramsey is playing on a higher level and is clearly oozing with confidence and class. Long may that form continue.

So it's Dortmund next on Tuesday, and then Palace at Selhurst Park before a run of tough fixtures come our way: Chelsea (COC), Dortmund, Liverpool, Man Utd all consecutively. These next 20 days or so will give us a better indication of our title credentials

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 4 - 1 Norwich City: Some sloppiness, some magical goals Empty Re: Arsenal 4 - 1 Norwich City: Some sloppiness, some magical goals

Post by El Gunner Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Lovely stuff. Absolutely beautiful goals. When's the last time we saw such a lot of beautiful goals? The first, finished off by Jack, was just breathtaking.

We didn't play that brilliant, but what was good to see was even with that in mind we still got a convincing result. If this match was played a few weeks from now we would've absolutely hammered Norwich. We were still slow at times (most probably due to the int. break) The goal we conceded was a little bit dent in what was a wonderful result.

This needs to go on now. We got Dortmund next at home and I'm confident. C'mon Arsenal!!!

Oh, and Ramsey just keeps on blowing my mind away.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 4 - 1 Norwich City: Some sloppiness, some magical goals Empty Re: Arsenal 4 - 1 Norwich City: Some sloppiness, some magical goals

Post by El Gunner Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:49 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:In a lot of ways, that game embodies the modern day Arsenal. Nowadays, we don't batter teams. We don't camp in the opposition half and apply relentless attacking pressure, nor do we swarm around the opposition and try to win the ball quickly; not on a consistent basis, anyway. We create fewer chances, but the ones we do create we tend to convert, and if we have to do some defending and not take any risks, then we'll do that, too. All that sounds boringly methodical, but when we get it right, it's damn fantastic to watch.

It wasn't a completely dominant performance as there were periods of sloppy play from us and Norwich did play well and gave us some trouble. The opening twenty to thirty minutes from us were very good, with us pressing Norwich and keeping the ball in their half. We scored a sensational goal, too. For the last fifteen minutes of that half, Norwich came into the game. We stood off them more and that allowed to keep the ball more, and some sloppiness crept into our play in the form of inaccurate passes. This continued into the early exchanges of the second half, though we managed to grab a second goal on the counter. Norwich kept going and scored a nice goal themselves, though our defending was, well, sloppy.

I like how we reacted to the goal, though. We upped our game a bit and started to assert ourselves more, pinning them back into their half without being too gung-ho in an attempt to kill the game off. We got that vital third goal when things were more comfortable for us and that seemed to deflate Norwich. The fourth goal wrapped things up nicely and had we more time, we probably could have scored more.

Nonetheless, it was a very good win and we can draw the usual conclusions from it. Playing five midfielders can produce some great football, but doesn't offer enough penetration. Although we kept the ball a lot, we created little chances and have to rely on quick, one-touch passing and counters to unlock the opposition. That's great if you can pull it off consistently, but I think that Walcott or Podolski need to go straight back into the side when they return from injury.

At the back, we're starting to leak one too many goals. We haven't kept many clean sheets so far this season and this could prove costly for us in tighter games that will be decided by just the one goal. It's something we really need to stamp out before it becomes a habit.

On a more positive note, it's nice to sweep aside a weaker team at home as we haven't really done that enough since moving to the Emirates. Results like this, and the way it was obtained, will help make the Emirates a place teams are afraid to come to again.

Players-wise, Jack Wilshere was excellent all throughout today's game and was my man of the match. Everyone else played well to varying degrees; Giroud managed two assists, but didn't have much to feed on in front of goal, and Özil was efficient without being too spectacular. Cazorla looked good in the time he was on the pitch. Ramsey is playing on a higher level and is clearly oozing with confidence and class. Long may that form continue.

So it's Dortmund next on Tuesday, and then Palace at Selhurst Park before a run of tough fixtures come our way: Chelsea (COC), Dortmund, Liverpool, Man Utd all consecutively. These next 20 days or so will give us a better indication of our title credentials
Brilliantly said. Couldn't agree more.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Another fantastic result. The performance, though, was a bit iffy. I suppose it's a good sign when you don't play brilliantly but still win 4-1. Norwich played some neat stuff throughout, and maybe, speaking honestly, the scoreline flattered us a touch.

Delighted to see Ozil score his first league goals, Wilshere his first home league goal and Ramsey continue his wonderful scoring run.

Disappointing to concede again, but the comparisons between this season and 07/08 go on. In so many ways.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Citrus Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Today's attacking performance :bow:

GoonerJay29 wrote:
Completely agree with this. We've kept only one clean sheet this season(which is the league lowest I guess) despite Szczesny being good and us defending as a unit.

I feel we don't seem to concentrate for the entirety of the match with regards to defending. We seem to switch off occasionally while defending and most often we concede during these periods.

Today Gibbs didn't pressure Howson at all and it directly led to the goal.Similarly there were other occasions today where we were caught out by Norwich.Our attacking prowess seems to be shielding our suspect defending.

Hopefully we improve our defending. Szczesny deserves more clean sheets IMO.

P.S.You guys seems to be too methodical. Pre-match thread,Live thread and Post-match thread for a single game.Kudos guys Thumbs up

Citrus
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:07 pm

nah this team is not as good as 07/08 yet imo, this team doesnt control games like we did back then. back then on a game by game basis we were ripping teams apart with our creativity, our only flaw was that we werent clinical. this team is very clinical atm, but is that going to last the whole season? i dont know.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:15 pm

it is the movement and versatility which makes us dangerous.. Wilshere, Ozil, Ramsey, Cazorla, Rosicky all can attack from anywhere.. and many runners into the box.. unlike last season we had definite roles.. Rosicky through centre, Walcott right, Cazorla left, Wilshere centre, etc.. and no one made runs into the box..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:38 pm

Brilliant summary

I didn't like the way we played for majority of the 1st half. I think we can say it was largely due to the internationals. We did look lethargic and after we went 1-0 up, it was more about trying to finish the game.

but i have to say we didn't look like losing the match at all. Arsenal few years back would have drawn this 1-1 or 2-2 or even lost 2-1. But this arsenal isn't the same. As Jay said, we don't go with just one tactic. We don't apply relentless pressure anymore. There is a variety about this Arsenal. We can do a lot more than just one thing. If counter works, we counter. If we want possession, we play possession. If we have to play catenaccio, we do that. That's whats different about this season.

Flamini was a miss after he went off. And it took Ramsey about 10-20 minutes to settle down. But after he did. It was some of the best football i have seen at the Emirates.

The goals were unbelievable. Passing and movement. It was on another level.

Wilshere is definitely back. My motm despite others being strong candidates
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:05 pm

REWB wrote:nah this team is not as good as 07/08 yet imo, this team doesnt control games like we did back then. back then on a game by game basis we were ripping teams apart with our creativity, our only flaw was that we werent clinical. this team is very clinical atm, but is that going to last the whole season? i dont know.
Our defensive play was not as good that season though. We aren't keeping clean sheets these days either, but as a team we make a lot less defensive errors now and seem to be more professional in terms of our ability to see games out. We also have more depth in most areas; remember that we are still missing a number of first-team players.

I think that talent-wise we are on a comparable level, but add our new maturity to the equation and we could potentially have a more effective team. Of course, we'll have to see how the season unfolds, but the signs are good. Hopefully we keep it up and avoid a collapse of 2007/2008 proportions.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Much better than what we saw in West Brom, fantastic all around performance this time.

I think this team is very capable of dominating games like some fans want us to dominate but we decide to sit back at times, especially when leading - because of our injuries we can't afford to work very hard winning the ball back which is essential in dominating a football match.

Very happy with the performance, and the goals were just amazing. We couldn't keep a clean sheet AGAIN, despite defending very well whole match that goal aside and that is very disappointing. I hope we can improve in that front.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Citrus Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Jack Wilshere Goal vs. Norwich:

Aaron Ramsey Goal vs. Norwich:

Arsenal vs. Norwich Highlights:

Citrus
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:14 pm

just realised wilsheres goal started with wilshere dribbling away from pressure outside of our penalty box, makes it even better :bow:
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Ramsey has inspired jack to add goals to his game :bow: 

Our midfield :')

I believe in this team.. Wenger :bow: 
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:26 pm

Brilliant commentary Laughing

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Great win, missed the first and second half started slow but what a ending.

The whole team played well, would have been nice if we had kept a clean sheet.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:27 am

so Happy for Ramshere :bow: Heart

Arsenal 4 - 1 Norwich City: Some sloppiness, some magical goals 13799310

as Jay said liked how we decided its enough lets not allow Norwich much more into the game and controlling without becoming vulnerable

also happy Giroud finally getting credit and Recognition for what he brings to the team

Hope Flam is ok and back soon,was missed when went off
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:56 am

Brillian!!!
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodless Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:29 pm

Bendtner needs to score, i think he will be important this season.

Really enjoying my team! goodtimes

bloodless
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:33 pm

While I would usually look at all our goals, I feel there's really not a lot to say about that. Each goal is an example of simple football being made to look incredibly easy because the technique, movement and teamwork involved was so good. There was actually little that Norwich did wrong.

I am, however, going to take a look at Norwich's goal in more depth. A few people, including commentators and pundits, identified Gibbs as the one who could have done more to prevent the goal, but looking it again, this isn't actually the case - Mertesacker and Wilshere are just as, if not more, culpable.

To begin with, let's look at Wilshere's positioning as the ball is played out wide to Olsson.  

Arsenal 4 - 1 Norwich City: Some sloppiness, some magical goals NorwichGoalPart1_zps7b07f9fd

Howson, the eventual goalscorer, could see the space ahead of him and started to move in order to join the attack late. Wilshere was still getting back. The ideal position for him there would have been about when the end of the yellow arrow is. In that position, he would have been able to pick any loose balls as a result of a cut back or poor clearance.

Arsenal 4 - 1 Norwich City: Some sloppiness, some magical goals NorwichGoalPart2_zpse41d2df0

Olsson's cross came in and Mertesacker dealt with in a really awkward way, opting to try open his body up and clear with his left foot, presumably with a pass to a team mate in mind, instead of simply putting the ball out of play for a corner or swinging his right foot at it. He messed up the clearance, and the ball was sliced towards the space Howson would run into.

While that was happening, Gibbs had picked up Snodgrass and was in a good position to intercept the ball had it come their way.

Arsenal 4 - 1 Norwich City: Some sloppiness, some magical goals NoriwchGoalPart3_zps92f5773e

This was where people were saying that Gibbs could have done more to close Howson down. Looking at it, though, his path was blocked by Snodgrass as the ball dropped to Howson. Gibbs could have gone around Snodgrass, but this would have left him open and Howson would have simply passed it to him instead of taking a shot of goal. As good as he has been, Gibbs cannot deal with two situations on his own. Very few, if any, defenders can.

Look at where Wilshere was standing. He hasn't gotten back into the ideal position I mentioned earlier. In fact, Howson received the ball in that very position and went on to score a good goal.

Of course, the situation would not have come about had Mertesacker dealt with the cross better in the first place. Individual mistakes do happen and Mertesacker, who has been so good this season, is allowed to the odd lapse here and there. On another day, Mertesacker manages to find a team-mate, Arsenal counter and score.

Wilshere's lack of tracking back was, perhaps, less forgiveable, and goes to show that even if you've got numbers back and a decent shape, it only takes a lapse from one player for a goal to be conceded. I think it's things like this that is resulting in our inability to keep clean sheets so far this season: Koscienly's tendency to go to ground, which resulted in a few penalties; a single player not picking up his man during a set-piece; one or two players not tracking back, etc.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Interesting assessment there, Jay. Agree, Wilshere at fault there more than Per.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:55 pm

I think it's becoming harder and harder for the bigger sides to keep a clean sheet in the PL. The lesser sides always look like having a goal in them, one lapse of concentration and you see yourself conceding a goal. What is important is that we're defending well overall imo, but we (and not only us) get punished by one rare mistake.

Last edited by urbaNRoots on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Because of the new TV deal teams outside the usual candidates can afford more offensive talents than ever.

Look at us for example we are not going to finish any higher than 8th but we have scored 2 or more for 6 games running.... unfortunately a clean sheet seems impossible Laughing

I think you defend well in the main and compared to the rest of the league, i don't think your defence is going to stop you from reaching your goals.

An injury to Giroud would but the defence is more than good enough to win the league personally.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Personally, I couldn't care less if we don't keep clean sheets and still win. Would rather win 4-1 than 1-0
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:38 am

Lex wrote:Personally, I couldn't care less if we don't keep clean sheets and still win. Would rather win 4-1 than 1-0
+1

We defended well as a team, clearly Flamini was missed but I don't think anyone was at fault more than any other.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down