Is Xavi Hernandez the best midfield controller of all time?

4 posters

Go down

Is Xavi Hernandez the best midfield controller of all time? Empty Is Xavi Hernandez the best midfield controller of all time?

Post by Clockwork Orange Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:50 pm

I cannot think of any player that has controlled the pace of games at such a high level, for such a long time, for both his club and national team. For me he is secodn only to the legendary Frank Rijkaard.
Clockwork Orange
Clockwork Orange
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Is Xavi Hernandez the best midfield controller of all time? Empty Re: Is Xavi Hernandez the best midfield controller of all time?

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:32 pm

it depends on what you mean by setting the pace of the game. for me, when i think of players who set the pace of games i think more of players like pirlo than xavi.

xavi is one of the best midfielders of all time but when i look at xavi and barca i think the pace has been dictated more by tactics than one particular player.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Is Xavi Hernandez the best midfield controller of all time? Empty Re: Is Xavi Hernandez the best midfield controller of all time?

Post by FatherReason Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:21 pm

I agree with vanDEEZ. Xavi might be the best midfielder of all time, but when it comes to setting the pace of a game I think more of players like Riquelme. Barcelona have a defined pace and it's not generally dictated by Xavi's input.
FatherReason
FatherReason
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:33 pm

"Of all time"? Nope. There could be always someone coming in the future who is besser.

(I really hate this "...of all time" hyperbole!)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by FatherReason Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:42 pm

rwo power wrote:"Of all time"? Nope. There could be always someone coming in the future who is besser.

Not to get into a philosophical debate, but arguably "all time" does not include the future, because that time hasn't happened yet. "All time" may encompass just all the time up until now, in which case it's perfectly acceptable to call Xavi one of the best of all time.
FatherReason
FatherReason
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:21 pm

FatherReason wrote:
rwo power wrote:"Of all time"? Nope. There could be always someone coming in the future who is besser.

Not to get into a philosophical debate, but arguably "all time" does not include the future, because that time hasn't happened yet. "All time" may encompass just all the time up until now, in which case it's perfectly acceptable to call Xavi one of the best of all time.
Well, science is still out on the verdict what time exactly is. ^^

But then, you wrote "one of the best of all time" there - and that's something I could sign, too, just not "the best of all time". ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down