Zealous
rwo power
CrazyBoy
Arsenalfaithfull
chinomaster182
The Man with no Name
11 posters

Go down

Which other player had as much influence on other footballers like Ronaldo Empty Which other player had as much influence on other footballers like Ronaldo

Post by The Man with no Name Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:08 am

if you watched football throughout the 90's, you would know what new elements ronaldo brought to the game and how he influenced other players.

Imo the guy is a little underrated, and often it's like not too many people know him or forgotten about him.

watch?v=pkEFdFdKWgA

watch?v=3sx9bIKDoVo

watch?v=uqdDkvraSFI

Even Cristiano Ronaldo, of all people, idolised R9,

Cristiano Ronaldo about Ronaldo:

''Ronaldo was a phenomenon, one of the best players of all time, and as a person and a player he was impressive. It is sad that he has had to retire, but he knows better than anyone if he could continue to play football.

I want to thank Ronaldo very much for everything he meant to players of my generation.''

Robby Bobson defined his tactics in Barcelona: ''My tactic: Ronaldo"

Zidane: ''Ronaldo best player I've ever seen, and play with or against in my career''

Maldini: ''Ronaldo most difficult player I have ever played against, close to Maradona''

Leonardo: ''Ronaldo best player ever''

Ronaldinho: ''Ronaldo greatest player ever, and my idol''

Eto'o: ''Best player ever''

Messi: ''Best forward ever''

Benzema: ''I try to be like him, I watch his videos to learn..''

Ronaldinho, Messi, Kaka, Robinho, Pato, Neymar, Benzema, Balotelli, Drogba, Eto'o, Zidane, etc. so many other stars have been influenced by Ronaldo.

Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo will probably inspire future players the same way, but has any other players had similar influence on the game and footballers like Ronaldo did?

The Man with no Name
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Which other player had as much influence on other footballers like Ronaldo Empty Re: Which other player had as much influence on other footballers like Ronaldo

Post by chinomaster182 Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 am

Yes, Johann Cruyff has been more influential all around.

Not to take anything from Ronaldo though.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Which other player had as much influence on other footballers like Ronaldo Empty Re: Which other player had as much influence on other footballers like Ronaldo

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:09 am

Marco Van Basten.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyBoy Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:40 pm

We will get many such quotes about many others players, not a big deal tbh. But what he or any WPOTY from 90s onwards had advantage of was having far far larger media reach than players from previous eras, hence we have such strong memory of his.

CrazyBoy
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:44 pm

It always depends on the position. For goalkeepers, I doubt Ronaldo was much of a role model Razz
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:45 pm

So one of the legit contenders for GOAT is underrated? Wut?
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Die Borussen Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Zealous wrote:So one of the legit contenders for GOAT is underrated? Wut?
usuallly his name doesnt come up along pele's maradona's and messi's for the GOAT contender

Die Borussen
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Well Ronaldo did a lot of things better than many before him, but he did little that nobody before him did, is my point on him.

One of the best forwards to ever grace the game, great tactical intelligence, great instincts, strong technique - a complete forward.

But we've had that before and after, as well. Not saying he wasn't special, he was a phenomenon, that's true. I just think he had the "bad luck" to come at a time, where most options for forwards were already pretty well explored.

I think when people idolize Ronaldo, it's mostly because of how well he did, what he did, and not because it was something entirely new, creative, or special. He was just the best at something many people have done. They just weren't as good.

I think that's why we talk more of players like Cruyff, who introduced entire systems and concepts to football.

But I might be wrong, maybe I've overlooked some revolutionary thing R9 did, but IMHO he was a phenomenon because of how good he was. Not because he did something new.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by _LMG_10_ Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:05 pm

The Man with no Name wrote:

Zidane: ''Ronaldo best player I've ever seen, and play with or against in my career''

Maldini: ''Ronaldo most difficult player I have ever played against, close to Maradona''

Leonardo: ''Ronaldo best player ever''

Ronaldinho: ''Ronaldo greatest player ever, and my idol''

Eto'o: ''Best player ever''

Messi: ''Best forward ever''

Haha everyone called him the best ever, except for Messi :bow:

_LMG_10_
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://www.eurofootballweb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Ronaldo was my first love in football. The guy was the reason I started watching football.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Ninis wrote:
Zealous wrote:So one of the legit contenders for GOAT is underrated? Wut?
usuallly his name doesnt come up along pele's maradona's and messi's for the GOAT contender

Probably because he was injured more than he played and his CL record is worse than Ibra's and RVP's.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Or maybe because he JUST retired and there have been no official "greatest of all time" discussions coming in from FIFA that open up the debate.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down