A thread for Chelsea fans. Did AVB get the shaft?

+3
Soul
Abramovich
Dnmac4
7 posters

Go down

A thread for Chelsea fans.  Did AVB get the shaft? Empty A thread for Chelsea fans. Did AVB get the shaft?

Post by Dnmac4 Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Chelsea had one of the hardest roads in the Champions league I've ever seen last year beating Napoli (who was on fire), Benfica (was a good team), Barcelona and Bayern (arguably the two best teams in the competition). And they won the FA Cup.

With that being said they still needed to win the CL to get back in the CL as they finished outside the top 4 domestically and had a pretty bad domestic campaign.

Whatever anyone says making the move to Di Matteo was the right one as they won two trophies and most importantly one being the Champions league so it was a good move that can't be argued.

Now with all that being said AVB has said he was told he would have time to make this a younger team and play the players he wanted and he told upper management it wouldn't happen in just one season.

Now it looks like Abromavich is giving Di Matteo everything he promised but didn't follow through with for AVB. Drogba is gone, he bought great youth players in Oscar, Hazard, Marin, Azpillicueta, Moses etc etc.

I'm not a Chelsea fan and I may be way off here but wasn't this what AVB was promised? Why is it happening a year later after they fired the guy as Di MAtteo wasn't great domestically either and AVB got him through to where they were in the FA Cup and CL so Di Matteo could take over and he did do a great job.

I'm just wondering, did AVB get a fair shake? And wasn't all this transfer activity supposed to be happening last year as I know you did bring some real quality in last year but some were projects and AVB as asking for more players.

It just seems weird to me like these transfers plus the ones last year like Mata, Cahill, Romeu, Meireles, Lukaku were what AVB was envisioning as overhauling the team and making it a younger newer team. And the project would take about two to three years.

IT just seems like he kind of got the shaft.

Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

A thread for Chelsea fans.  Did AVB get the shaft? Empty Re: A thread for Chelsea fans. Did AVB get the shaft?

Post by Abramovich Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:34 pm

He did join a year too early, either way with him or without him the youth project was happening. AVB is not innocent though I mean his man management skills were pretty damp awful. As far as Im concerned its six of one and half a dozen of the other, both parties were too blame. I also do blame some of the old guard to a degree, but to be fair they should have gotten more respect from AVB. Its fair enough to drop players and sorts but without a word or reason is a bit harsh, I for one did want him to lead our project though.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

A thread for Chelsea fans.  Did AVB get the shaft? Empty Re: A thread for Chelsea fans. Did AVB get the shaft?

Post by Soul Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:03 pm

I was really curious about it too. Why didn't AVB get this support? Obviously the style he wanted to play required a lot of squad change which didn't happen

But the difference between AVB and RDM is that the latter inherited the same squad that he had but still managed to end the season with the CL and FA Cup.

Is it due to being tactically superior or due to luck remains to be seen. I won't deny how lucky we were to end the season on a high so I'm still not overly sold on RDM. But with the recent signings and the style we see on the pitch now (at least glimpses of it) proves that the sacking was justified

I agree with Abramovich (the spongebob one) on the old guard point. During some matches you can clearly see the likes of Lampard and Drogba not giving a sh1t on the pitch. Probably a lot happened behind the scenes that we know little about
Soul
Soul
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Roman has NEVER refused to give any manager the chance to buy players. Even Big Phil was given the freedom to bring in whoever he wanted but we had a pretty good squad so he only brought in Deco IIRC.

AVB blatantly spoke of how he wanted o "assess" the squad when he first came in. At the end of the summer he said he was okay with the squad and that they were an experienced bunch who had won titles together in the past so they were good enough for him(too lazy to find a link atm but he did say this).

He had TWO transfer windows to bring in whoever he felt was needed. He brought in Mata and Romeu(Lukaku wasn't his decision). Meireles was more of a last minute buy to make up the numbers in the squad. He has no one to blame for the lack of transfer activity but himself. This is where his naivety also comes into play.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by iNFINITY9910 Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:27 am

Simple answer, and its all my opinion. I have no contact with Roman or any of the people below.

Roman wanted Chelsea to play fluent football with a new generation of players. He trusted in AVB to do this and spent a huge amount of money just to land him at Chelsea. At first everything was smooth and we were quite a positive team. Then AVB started making rapid changes, specially to the highly respected old guard. Highly respected because they were part of the revoloution back when Roman got hold of the club. This includes key players like Terry, Lampard, Drogba and Cech. Its obvious that these players are not going to be the future of Chelsea and AVB tried to bring the younger players into action. But then it was a bit too late when he found out that for the team to play properly he needs a balance of youth and the old guard. The team chemistry just failed, many players were clearly unhappy with the way they were treated. In the end, AVB just couldn't control the team and the best option was to take him out. Happy ending to the story, RDM wins the Holy Grail and the FA Cup and is smiling ever since Very Happy non stop... Alright, time to sleep Smile
iNFINITY9910
iNFINITY9910
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

http://twitter.com/iNFINITY9910

Back to top Go down

Post by nh01 Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:01 am

Just a question while were on AVB. Was he the right choice for tottenham?
nh01
nh01
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:14 am

nh01 wrote:Just a question while were on AVB. Was he the right choice for tottenham?
Time will tell. In theory, Spurs' relatively younger squad is far more suited to play AVB's alleged brand of football and already have experience with it, having played that style under Harry. But even still, I'd have huge concerns over him. Say what you want about the players at Chelsea not playing for him in the end (which he himself caused anyway), things that that had nothing to do with, he got completely wrong as well. He was very, very poor tactically. Couldn't make a decent substitution to save his life. Never once in 7 months did anything to change a game in regards to formations, tactics, or personnel. His incessant, almost dogmatic devotion to the 4-3-3 and nothing else, ever. Team selections that looked as if he picked them out of a
hat. And many, many more.
And this isn't even going into his player mistreatment, media tirades, referee conspiracy allegations, arrogance, egomania, etc.
Could he become great someday? Very possibly, but as of right now, there is still a tremendous amount of uncertainty as to whether or not he's even a semi-competent manager or just some vastly overrated one-hit wonder.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down