How good would Iniesta be if he could shoot?

+17
billionmillion
messixaviesta
Harmonica
free_cat
Jonathan28
BarrileteCosmico
FennecFox7
FilthyLuca
Donuts
danyjr
CBarca
harhar11
The Franchise
billy_gr
Kick
The Sanchez
BarcaKizz
21 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

How good would Iniesta be if he could shoot? - Page 3 Empty Re: How good would Iniesta be if he could shoot?

Post by jibers Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:19 pm

So he can't shoot but he can pass. Makes no sense. Do you mean if Iniesta was a good finisher? English language :facepalm:

jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

How good would Iniesta be if he could shoot? - Page 3 Empty Re: How good would Iniesta be if he could shoot?

Post by BarcaKizz Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:25 pm

jibers wrote:So he can't shoot but he can pass. Makes no sense. Do you mean if Iniesta was a good finisher? English language :facepalm:

How can I spell it out clearer for you... What do you mean 'English language :facepalm:'?

How can you say my post makes no sense... what are you on about? I don't even...

Shooting, passing are obviously completely different things...

Shooting is one part of 'finishing' but they are not the same... A good finisher could be someone who can just waltz round a keeper and put it in the net.

What are you getting at?
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Iniesta can shoot, but he lacks accuracy. "if Iniesta had shoot accuracy" would sound better i think
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:41 pm

billionmillion wrote:Iniesta can shoot, but he lacks accuracy. "if Iniesta had shoot accuracy" would sound better i think

I shall clarify for you... I thought it was reasonably clear. Its just a hypothetical at the end of the day Jibers, if you don't like it, leave it.

What I mean is... Iniesta has the ability to get space just inside, on the edge of the box and from distance with his wonderful dribbling and intelligence. Rarely he decides to shoot (partly because he doesn't back himself, partly because of his game), but when he does you will rarely remark "that was a cracker from Iniesta". Normally I just swear at the television. Accuracy isn't the only thing he lacks... mainly he lacks power. You could argue shot power is overrated, but from the areas I'm talking about its very important. Messi is small as well and relies generally on impeccable accuracy, but Messi can really hit a ball, don't forget that. Iniesta cannot.

Accuracy, power... etc. Generally he just doesn't have it. Its clearly because of his mentality as a footballer and as he developed he never bothered to try and shoot a lot or develop a great shot. The same goes for Xavi. Am I saying I wish he developed differently? No! I'm simply saying if some sort of genie existed that could grant him a great shot, how much better would that make him? I say he'd be deadly, it would make him a much more decisive player.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Iniesta has indeed dribbled past 5 players he was surrounded by, this very euros in fact, I will have to go find the gif again, I saw it in either Redcafe or Arsenal mania.
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:56 pm

He would be the closest thing to Messi in the world.Sheer individual talent wise I would rate only Messi above Iniesta.At his supreme best,Iniesta is the closest to Messi in the game(form and level wise not style wise).
My favorite move of Iniesta is when he is near the touchline and surrounded by 2,3 players.I keep on thinking that the ball is going to get dispossessed or go out for a throw.Yet somehow or the other,he just glides past the players finding that inch of space near the touchline and magically appears with the ball.Its one of the most breathtaking sites iin the game.Magical :bow:
But I dont agree that Iniesta is a better dribbler than Messi.Messi is a far better dribbler than Iniesta.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Even now without shooting he is the closet thing to messi. dribbling is the most important part of the football so he is great at it. i rate importance of abilities in this order
dribbling (can happen every second in the match if you have the ball)
passing (can happen every second if you have ball)
shooting (can happen only if you get that chance to shoot)
running (can happen if you have space to run)

so in my opinion shooting accuracy of iniesta would not change things much, he already has most important abilities in football. Podolski, Alonso, Sneijder etc are players who can shoot but it doesnt change them much
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:29 pm

I don't know, I trust Iniesta to keep the ball more then I do Messi to be honest. Messi's dribbling is good, but when he's shut down like he was in the 1st leg against Chelsea his constant runs which led to no where and shooting into defenders became so annying. I have never been so annoyed with Messi in my life then those 3 important games at the end of the season. Iniesta even on a bad day will still be able to dribble past players whilst keeping the ball on the touchline, how he does that I do not know.

Whilst were on this topic, we have to stop building the team entirely around Messi, the gap in goals scored between Messi and the next person(Cesc) was over 50 goals, thats what did us last season. Play Villa in his best position(CF) where he can get 40 goals to take the pressure off Messi, because we are becoming predictable and very, very one dimensional.
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Jonathan28 wrote:I don't know, I trust Iniesta to keep the ball more then I do Messi to be honest. Messi's dribbling is good, but when he's shut down like he was in the 1st leg against Chelsea his constant runs which led to no where and shooting into defenders became so annying. I have never been so annoyed with Messi in my life then those 3 important games at the end of the season. Iniesta even on a bad day will still be able to dribble past players whilst keeping the ball on the touchline, how he does that I do not know.

Whilst were on this topic, we have to stop building the team entirely around Messi, the gap in goals scored between Messi and the next person(Cesc) was over 50 goals, thats what did us last season. Play Villa in his best position(CF) where he can get 40 goals to take the pressure off Messi, because we are becoming predictable and very, very one dimensional.

He was not shut down against Chelsea in the first leg.He was the best player on the pitch by a mile and it regularly took 4,5 players to stop him.
Also set up Fab on a platter after dribbling through the entire Chelsea team.
Not his fault that the rest of the team simply didnt show up.
Against Madrid also the best chances were created by Messi.
In the second leg he flopped but then it was clear to see he had run out of gas.Also Iniesta played in that match and did nothing.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:05 pm

True, doesnt help that our players can't finish, Villa will help when he returns, IF he plays in his correct position. This Villa on LW crap has to stop. He was forced to play there for Spain because of Torres and wasn't near as good as he was for Valencia. I hope Tito takes us back to 4-3-3 with Messi on the right, Villa centre and Pedro left. When we played that back in 08/09 we were immense, then again, Tito is the one who first played Messi in the false nine position in the first place.

I wonder, If mourinho was our manager would he have players in their proper positions which gets the best out of them all and gives them threats from everywhere like at Madrid or would he build the system dedicated to helping Messi score goals like now...
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Adit wrote:Let me :bow: him before my love turn to hate once season start

:bow :bow: :bow:

Wonderful post man !!!

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:18 pm

alexjanosik wrote:He would be the closest thing to Messi in the world.Sheer individual talent wise I would rate only Messi above Iniesta.At his supreme best,Iniesta is the closest to Messi in the game(form and level wise not style wise).
My favorite move of Iniesta is when he is near the touchline and surrounded by 2,3 players.I keep on thinking that the ball is going to get dispossessed or go out for a throw.Yet somehow or the other,he just glides past the players finding that inch of space near the touchline and magically appears with the ball.Its one of the most breathtaking sites iin the game.Magical :bow:
But I dont agree that Iniesta is a better dribbler than Messi.Messi is a far better dribbler than Iniesta.

Excellent comments alex. Great to read a post from you after a long time. The move you mention is a favoirte of mine as well. It happens several times but is a vieweing pleasure every single time.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Messi is arguably the best dribler the game has ever seen. iniesta doesnt even come close. What a load of rubbish.

On the other note, the guy iss a monster, if he can just be a bit more consistent he would easily be the 2nd best player without a doubt. He is like the missing link between Xavi and Messi.

El Illusionista :bow:

He needs to prove himself in the EPL to become a great come to United Very Happy
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:08 am

Iniesta is consistent, our most consistent big game player especially. We would never have won the 2009 and 2011 champions leagues without him, even though we had Messi. People had to stop marginalising every thing Iniesta when compared to Messi, if you saw Messi doing some of the outrageous things Iniesta does like that twirl and chip against Madrid people would be saying he has no equal, Iniesta does it, meh, Messi far better dribbler.

I love Messi just as much as anyone, if not more in fact, but this putting down other players when some dares compare them to him isn't right, even Ronaldo, who yes, is better at some aspects of the game then Messi.

Edit:Re-read that again, I must be the most unbiased Messi fan in the world lol
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:00 am

Jonathan28 wrote:Iniesta is consistent, our most consistent big game player especially. We would never have won the 2009 and 2011 champions leagues without him, even though we had Messi.
Messi says hello again. Jesus christ you are overrating him, as good as he is, he isn't on Messi's level, not in consistency, not in big games, not in dribbling.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:29 am

No, I stongly disagree, Iniesta with Xavi is our most consistent big gamer performer, but because his name is not Messi he gets forgotten. Who made the run which opened up Man United in 2008? Who was our best player when we were thrashed 4-1 by Madrid, who, because he was injured/out of sorts were we knocked out Europe? Do you never wonder why players like Rooney, Silva and Eto'o say Iniesta is the best in the world, whem they themselves have played with/against Messi? This is eventually going to end up being like Pele vs Garrincha where fans and analysts say Pele but those who played with/against him say Garrincha.
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:37 am

jiopsi wrote:
CBarca wrote:Messi is a better dribbler overall but I think that in very tight spaces against several people Iniesta is better Razz
He isn't.

*gif*

I'm...not going to post a counter gif or counter video...because that's stupid.

You can have your opinion but my opinion is very similar to Alex (describing the Iniesta magical moment)- in very tight spaces, Iniesta is a god, and (here I'm not sure Alex would share my sentiment) IN MY OPINION, in those situations he is better than Messi.

You can go ahead and say he isn't and post another gif but you won't sway me so I beg of you to not waste your time.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:45 am

Jonathan28 wrote:No, I stongly disagree, Iniesta with Xavi is our most consistent big gamer performer, but because his name is not Messi he gets forgotten.
You are awfully deluded fellow. Everyone who appreciates football, knows and appreciates Iniesta and Xavi. But it's pointless to overrate something or somebody just to make him sound better than he is. Let them own accomplishments speak for themselves, they have earned that.

Who made the run which opened up Man United in 2008?
Who destroyed RMA last year in SF by himself? Who destroyed RMA in Spanish Super Cup this year, by himself? I can post two big game performances from Messi for every Iniesta perfomance you post.

Who was our best player when we were thrashed 4-1 by Madrid, who, because he was injured/out of sorts were we knocked out Europe?
Who was best player when we played ManU last year, and Milan this year?

Do you never wonder why players like Rooney, Silva and Eto'o say Iniesta is the best in the world, whem they themselves have played with/against Messi?
Gary LINEKER: “Fella’s a genius! Best ever by a distance in my life time! Never really saw Pele [...] Wait til he grows up! SOUNESS, GULLIT, VENABLES and now ROONEY agree MESSI is the best they have seen. He plays a game to which we are not familiar.”

And lets forget these quotes:

Ivan Helguera (ex-Real Madrid) - "For me, Messi is the best player in history,"

Mircea Lucescu - "I don't think there ever has been or will be a phenomenon like Messi. He's even better than Pele."

Noel Gallagher - "It's impressive that two of the three best players in history are Argentineans, Maradona and Messi."

Domenico Criscito - "Messi = alien of football!! An extraordinary player.. The best of all times!"

Ferrer (ex-Barcelona -Chelsea): "I played with Romario, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Laudrup and Stoichkov but Messi is the best I've seen" 

Osvaldo Ardiles: "There is a natural evolution and players today are just getting better. Messi is by far the best."

Osvaldo Ardiles: "I played with Maradona for 7 years. I thought I'd never see another player like that but I have to say Messi is better."

Maradona: "Neymar may be the best in the world, but only if we clear up that Messi is from another planet"

Bernd Schuster (1xSilver Ball, 2xBronze ball) - "Messi is the best player I have seen in my life."

Gary Neville - "Playing without striker allows Messi, greatest player of modern times and arguably all-time, to find weakest link in any defence."

Gary Lineker: -  "I know I go on about Messi being a footballing genius. I have changed my mind. He is better than that."

Ray Hudson: - "Greatest football player I've ever seen, and certainly one of the most fabulous footballers in the history of the game, in my opinion, the greatest ever."

John Terry: - “My kids love him. They both have Barcelona shirts with his name on the back and they like the fact I swapped shirts with him after one of our previous games… It’s a pleasure because when you finish and look back – and the guy’s still going to be going strong – you’ve tested yourself against the best. And, quite clearly for me, he’s the best ever. He’s a great individual, a great person as well and a credit to the sport. For me, he’s got everything. He is magical. “

Adriano Galliani (vice-president Milan): "Messi is the best player ever. And this is said by someone who has seen Maradona and Pele play."

Gary LINEKER: “Fella’s a genius! Best ever by a distance in my life time! Never really saw Pele [...] Wait til he grows up! SOUNESS, GULLIT, VENABLES and now ROONEY agree MESSI is the best they have seen. He plays a game to which we are not familiar.”

Tom Huddlestone - ”Is messi the best ever?? Best I've seen”

Arsene Wenger – Who's the best player in the world? ”Lionel Messi.” Who's the best player of all time? ”Lionel Messi.”

Roy Keane (ex-ManUtd): "I was a big fan of Maradona growing up and of the current crop Ronaldo is good, but Messi is the best I've ever seen"

Mike Gibbons. - "Messi is Maradona meets Gerd Muller."

Rudi Voller: ”Messi is now in the same league as Pele and Maradona”

WayneRooney ”Messi is a joke. For me the best ever. ”

Michael Owen ”Not old enough to see some of the greats but I can't believe anyone can have played the game of football as well as Messi. ”

Jose Luis Chilavert - "Messi is the best, he is better than Maradona," he affirmed. "At Messi's age, Maradona had not won not even 1 percent of what Messi has won."

Ossie Ardiles - “I think he’s certainly the best player of his generation. And I definitely believe not only that but he’s the best player in the history of football. To be perfectly honest, I thought I would never encounter anybody in the same league because Diego was a genius. One of the reasons I think Messi is better than Maradona and Pelé is evolution. People before say Pelé was running 5,000, 6,000 meters. Now they are running 9,000 meters. Now players eat better, train better, the pitches are better. So this is why I believe Messi is the very best ever.”

Ray Hudson (on Messi) - "The most complete footballista I've ever seen."

Gerry Armstrong (on Messi) - "I know what it's like to score against Barcelona, but end up losing 4-1. My first goal in Spanish league was against Barcelona. Unfortunately a certain Diego Maradona was in the side for Barcelona and he just took control and they beat us 4-1. 

Look at this little man, well, I think he's better than Maradona, I think he better than anybody I've ever seen."

Carlos Bianchi - Barcelona's Lionel Messi is better than Diego Maradona and Pele

"A few days ago I did a talk for a business and a Brazilian asked me in the middle of the conference who I considered the best footballer in history, Maradona or Pele. I answered that, with all due respect to those two, right now I see Messi as superior to everyone,"

"There have been excellent footballers that weren't able to play in great national teams to prove their class. Moving on from everything that has happened or will happen when he puts on the Argentina jersey, Messi confirms every week that he is capable of doing things that nobody else has managed in the history of football."

Ossie Ardiles - “I would now say that Lionel Messi will go down in history as the No.1 player of all time, the best that there ever was,"

Graeme Souness - "I think he might be the best player that has ever played the game, given that he's 23... He's best around, and I've played against Maradona many times, some people say that Maradona was better, but I disagree.

Peter Schmeichel (after BAR 5-0 RMA) - "I've played against some of the greatest, including Maradona, but Messi might be the best I've ever seen."

Juan Roman Riquelme - "Barcelona's Lionel Messi is taking Diego Maradona's place as Argentine football's main man."

Marco van Basten (1988, 1989 and 1992) - “There’s no doubt for me, Messi is clearly the best player in the world. He’s a veritable phenomenon who’s won everything but still wants more. His humility only makes him better in my eyes. I think he can become even more influential – he’s a born leader and should make his mark just like Diego Maradona did. I don’t mean just with Barcelona, but with Argentina too. He should win the Ballon d'Or award again. Not just for his skills, but for the Liga, Champions League and Spanish Super Cup medals he earned this year. He’s been a key figure for his team all season.”

Eusebio (1965) - “At this moment in time, the name of the top player in the world is Messi. Cristiano Ronaldo has also won the award before, but right now Messi is the best and deserves to win it. Even Ronaldo has recognised that Messi has been better than him this year.”

Theo Bucker - "The first thing that I have to say is that they’re all outstanding players. In my opinion, Ronaldo is a tremendous performer, but personally speaking, he’s not a traditional team player. And although Xavi probably doesn’t have the same amount of raw skill, he’s a real workhorse who does a lot for the team. Messi is better than them both, because he’s just an incredible talent who scores and puts in a lot of effort, as well as being a great team player. For me, he deserves to win the FIFA Ballon d'Or."

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - “I’m going to vote for Messi, he’s the best of the three. He’s demonstrated that, and I hope he’ll continue to do so. He’s won almost everything yet he’s still very young. But in my mind, I’m the world’s best. I don’t need a Ballon d'Or award to be number one.”

Guti - “Messi or Cristiano? Messi, without a doubt. He’s more decisive in key matches. It’s not that one’s better than the other, but Cristiano needs to start exerting more of an influence for Real in crunch games. Mourinho is a great coach who has really got things going at Real. He’s improved their play and created a calmer, more peaceful atmosphere within the club. Even if Real didn’t win anything, I suspect that they’d still hang on to Mourinho."

Neymar - “Up to now, it’s been a fantastic year. I’m already extremely happy to have been selected for the 23-man shortlist. For me, it was just like winning a trophy! Messi is the best, with Cristiano right behind him.”

Xavi - “I’m extremely proud to have been nominated for the third successive year. It’s a great honour, and it’s not something I’ll ever forget. This wasn’t actually one of my goals when I was young. I simply wanted to become a professional footballer; winning the Ballon d'Or wasn’t really in my plans. For me, Lionel Messi is the best player in the world. He always makes a real difference in our matches.”

Pablo Aimar - "For several years, I thought there would not be another player like Maradona," Aimar told A BOLA. "And now I see that Messi is on a par him with and with the best of all time.

"In the hearts of the Argentine people and of those who like football, there is a place for the two."

Deco: “Messi is Romario, Ronaldo, and Ronaldinho together.”

Manolo Preciado (coach Sporting Gijon): "How to stop Messi? A Kalashnikov."

Gianluca Zambrotta -"I've been lucky enough to play alongside a lot of champions, players like Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldinho and Kaka. But I've never seen anyone do things with the ball like Lionel Messi. He is simply incredible."

David Villa - When you were still in Valencia someone asked you to choose between Messi and Cristiano, and you answered Leo.

”I haven’t seen anything like him on a football pitch. Look, there were many brilliant players throughout history, but with all respect to the opinions of other people, no one is even close to Leo.”

Neymar - - "Barcelona are the best team in the world and they've got the world's best player (Messi) in their side"

Luis Suarez - "I'm not jealous of Messi. He just has a gift the others have not. He's the best."

David Beckham - “He is the best in the world, simple as that. He is a player that when any kid watches him, wants to be him. They wanna watch everything he does; the way he conducts himself and the way he works hard for the team. He is not just a player – technically he is the best in the world – [but] he works hard for the team and that’s what makes him the person and the player that he is. You watch him and it’s like watching an eight or nine year old play. He just goes and enjoys himself. I think he goes into every game thinking that if this is my last game, this is how I’m going to play and every game he plays, he plays like that. He is a special player.”

Is Messi potentially the greatest ever?

Wenger - "Yes." 

You think he's that good?

Wenger - "Yes."

Ossie Ardiles - “I would now say that Lionel Messi will go down in history as the No.1 player of all time, the best that there ever was,"

Graeme Souness - "I think he might be the best player that has ever played the game, given that he's 23... He's best around, and I've played against Maradona many times, some people say that Maradona was better, but I disagree.

Alan Shearer - “Cristiano Ronaldo went for £80m but Messi would smash that. I would go as far as to say he could be the best ever – maybe even now, on the basis of what he’s continually doing. What did he get last year – 49 or 50 goals? And he’s got 52 this year. He makes world-class defenders look like park players, week in, week out. And he’s 23. Scary.

He’s doing it in the Champions League. He’s a little genius, he is. Incredible. He plays every game. I don’t know whether he’s got something in his contract where he has to play every time – but he does. I’m sure sometimes the manager would like to rest him. The way he plays, he’s playing with his mates on a Sunday morning, with no fear. I love that about him.”

Patrick Kluivert:
"Please, please! Messi is impressing, words cannot describe.
Leo does everything at high speed, that's the football of today. Leo always has two players upon him, which is a bargain for a coach, because you can take advantage with the other players of your team who can create superiority chances (In dutch: man-meer-situaties). Leo should always play with freedom, because there is no-one like him. He's without doubt the best footballer in the world. Nobody else plays and thinks as fast as him. Let me coach him, even if it's for one day!"

Gianluca Zambrotta: "I've been lucky enough to play alongside a lot of champions, players like Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldinho and Kaka. But I've never seen anyone do things with the ball like Lionel Messi. He is simply incredible."

Dick Advocaat (fifa ballon dor 2010):
For the second time in a row the forward of Barcelona and the Argentinean national team Lionel Messi received the FIFA Golden Ball.
"I voted for Messi," said the head coach of the Russian national team Dick Advocaat. "Why? Because he is the best player in the world."
"No buts… it does not matter that he has not won anything. Until Messi plays the way he does I will always vote for him."
"As for Snejder I put him second. But my colleagues decided differently and Snejder did not get to the top three."
-
Figo (Inter advisor, at fifa ballon dor 2010): “This is an individual trophy and Messi is the best. He won despite the fact that both Xavi and Iniesta had done very well this year. I am not surprised that they elected Messi. I think that Xavi and Iniesta have deserved to win, but Messi is a player who is above everyone.”

-
Rivaldo (at fifa ballon dor 2010): "Congratulations Messi. I think he'll win another 3, he's on teh way, playing a lot. He really deserves it."
-
Cassilas (Dec 2010): "They are great players and, in fairness, I hope Messi will understand, I opted for Xavi and Iniesta. Messi is the best in the world, but I prefer them."
-
Mourinho (fifa ballon dor 2010): "Messi is out of this world but i would have given the award to Sneijder..."
-

Arsène Wenger

“Messi’s like a PlayStation. He can take advantage of every mistake we make. He made the impossible possible. He has something exceptional. He has six or seven years in front of him, touchwood that nothing happens to him, and he can reach unbelievable levels. “In the biggest games, exceptional players still make the difference. Messi is the best player in the world, and by a distance. His team work to get him moving and once he's on the run, Messi is unstoppable. He's the only player who can change direction at such a pace." 

Ossie Ardiles

"Messi is out of this planet, I would say he is so far ahead of the rest of the players playing right now and I would say historically as well. There are not words to describe him.

Hristo Stoichkov

"Once they said they can only stop me with a pistol but today you need a machine gun to stop him."

Andres Iniesta

"If the people have voted for Leo Messi it's because he deserves it and because he's a just winner. We were the three nominations, any of us could have won, but Leo has won and we need to congratulate him. We are very happy for him and for having been here."

Luis Figo

"For me, to watch Messi play is a pleasure – it's like having an orgasm – it's an incredible pleasure."

Ruud Gullit

"He is already the best in the world and it is also all about the work he does without the ball. He wants to tackle back and get the ball.

"He is an exceptional talent. I still think Diego Maradona is the best player I have ever seen – but Messi is closing in fast. He's a wonderful sight in full flight and we are lucky to have him around."

Diego Maradona

"I have seen the player who will inherit my place in Argentine football and his name is Lionel Messi. Messi is a genius and he can become an even better player. His potential is limitless and I think he’s got everything it takes to become Argentina’s greatest player."

Pep Guardiola

“Put in the superlatives yourselves, I’m running out. It’s already been a while now that he has been outstanding. He’s more than decisive in every way. That he’s capable of doing everything that he does at his age is something impressive, that doesn’t make any sense.

“The best players are always in the thick of the action. (Michael) Jordan did it with the Bulls, (Kobe) Bryant does it with the Lakers and Leo does it here. We want him to stay with us because he’s the best and we wouldn’t swap him for anyone.”

"You have to see [his level of performance] – it is not something you can describe because you have to see it to believe it."

"The good thing about Messi is that tomorrow [after his four goals against Arsenal] he will get up and look for the affection of his people and his team-mates. I like the love he has for football and his anonymous character,"

Sergio Ramos

"Since the fist time I saw him play I have always said he surprised me, and he has done every day since."

Ronaldinho

[On receiving the Ballon d’Or in 2006] “This award says I’m the best player in the world, but I’m not even the best player at Barcelona.”

“Leo Messi reminds me more of Maradona, both left-footed and short, Messi is the best player in the world, along with Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo. For us it is not a surprise. Since he began to come and train with us and we knew we would go down this path. Someday I will explain that I was at the birth of one of the footballing greats: Leo Messi."

Carles Puyol

"He is a spectacular player, there is nobody else like him. I should know because I have suffered so much in training. I think he is the best forward at the moment and I think he will be so for many more years. He has his feet on the ground."

José Aurelio Gay [Real Zaragoza coach speaking after their recent 4-2 defeat to Barca]

“Tonight, I saw Diego Maradona, but at more revs per minute. There are no words left to describe him – he is interplanetary. We could have beaten Barcelona but we could never have beaten Leo Messi. If we had scored four, he would have scored 12.”

Ander Herrera [Real Zaragoza playmaker that night]

“I’m not sure he’s human.”

Frank Rijkaard

"He’s a unique player because he can do things of almost imperceptible excellence and is a gem to watch."

Xavi

"He (Messi) is one step above us all. He's the best player and there can be no argument."

"It is clear that Messi is on a level above all others. Those who do not see that are blind."

"I am asked this question [is Messi the greatest player on the planet?] every season and every time I say the same thing. He's a fantastic player and moreover he is my friend."

”Messi is even better than Maradona”

-

Paolo Maldini

“When I see Messi play, in my opinion, he should win the Ballon d’Or every year. He is an unbelievable player.”

-

Julio Grondona [President of the Argentine FA]

"Without Messi there isn’t a team for Argentina, Messi is brilliant, different, with a strong mentality. Let’s hope he doesn’t change."

Carlos Tévez

"His speed is astonishing. It’s amazing how he can go 1 to 100 in just one second. I’m constantly around great players like Cristiano [Ronaldo] and [Wayne] Rooney, but this guy is just a step up above every other great footballer out there at the moment. Not only is he quick, determined, and extremely intelligent on the ball, but his movement off the ball is just as fantastic – unbelievable to sum it up in a word."

Johann Cruyff

"He deserves ten out of ten for doing what he does. He is a sensation, but still he can improve. He must know when to move the ball on quickly and when to try the impossible mission. When he learns this, he won’t win a single Golden Ball, but an entire collection."

Juan Sebastian Veron

"I see Maradona every time he grabs the ball and accelerates. We must protect him. I’d personally put him in a drawer of my bedside table."

-

Getafe coach Michel
"Is he better than Maradona? For me yes. I've played against Maradona and I can say that what I have seen Messi, I have not seen done by anyone since I'm in the football world and now I am getting closer to fifty years, " 

-

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

"Nobody was so wonderful at 19 years, neither Pele nor Maradona."

Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva [Presdient of Brazil]

"When I see Messi – who is the best player in the world in my opinion – lose the ball, he runs off until he gets it back or commits a foul. Our guys lose the ball and fold their arms."

Fernando Gago [Real Madrid and Argentina]

"For me, the best in the world is Messi because of the way he plays, moves with the ball and changes matches, Messi has incredible ability and I love the way that he plays. I always thank God that he is an Argentine, not just as a player, but as a person too."

Theirry Henry

"I have the possibility to watch Messi in training each morning, and, because of what he demonstrates, he is the best player in the world. It is a pleasure to watch him and because of the way he plays he is an undisputed leader of the Barcelona team.
"Leo is not human. That is the truth"
"Frankly, I've not seen a player with such mastery with the ball for so long, a player capable to eliminate adversaries at such pace and so easily. If I tried to do the same, I'd fall!"
"Each time he does one step he touches the ball. After his fourth goal, I said to myself I have to stand up and applaud him. It was amazing. Like any great player he's a fighter, he can't lose. During training sessions if his team loses 2-1, he gets the ball, dribbles around everyone and scores, and we start again from scratch."

Juan Laporta [Barcelona president]
“Messi, without doubt, is the leader of Barcelona. He is the best player in the world and the best in the history of football. Along with [Johan] Cruyff and [Diego] Maradona he is the best player we have seen at Barca.”

Marcello Lippi

"The best? Messi."

Christian Gross “I think he is certainly one of the best in the world and people are right to make comparisons with Diego Maradona. It’s amazing when you think he is still only 22 years old. He’s just a fantastic player.”

Mikel Arteta

"It is as if someone commands him from the stands, like a video game. I have never seen a human run with the ball at that speed. I have not seen Maradona so I cannot compare, but Messi is simply unbeatable."

Raul

"The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible!"

Zidane

“I think that everyone will say the same things about him,” the Frenchman told uefa.com. “You just have to watch him and enjoy the show he is putting on game after game for Barcelona.

“He makes the difference most of the time. In particular, he is always going forwards. He never passes the ball backwards or sideways. He has only one idea, to run towards the goal.

“So as a football fan, just enjoy the show.”

On Ballond D'or "it will go for one of the Spanish players ,but it doesn't matter, Messi s the best player in the world."

-

Jose Maria Del Nido (Sevilla president):
"It is sacrilege to compare Messi Cristiano Ronaldo"

"Cristiano is a good player while Messi is the best player in the world, the largest and sure to be the greatest among the great," said Sevilla president in four.

-

Lionel Messi

"Diego is Diego and for me he is the greatest player of all time. Even after a million years I am not even going to be close to Maradona. I have no intention of comparing myself with Maradona – I want to make my own history for something I have achieved."

This is eventually going to end up being like Pele vs Garrincha where fans and analysts say Pele but those who played with/against him say Garrincha.
I hope it does, but at this rate it's not going to mildly the case.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:49 am

CBarca I totally agree, I have never seen anyone who can get out of extremely tight situations like Don, this man is phenomenal. I am so gonna end up naming my son after him lol
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:52 am

CBarca wrote:
jiopsi wrote:
CBarca wrote:Messi is a better dribbler overall but I think that in very tight spaces against several people Iniesta is better Razz
He isn't.

*gif*

I'm...not going to post a counter gif or counter video...because that's stupid.

You can have your opinion but my opinion is very similar to Alex (describing the Iniesta magical moment)- in very tight spaces, Iniesta is a god, and (here I'm not sure Alex would share my sentiment) IN MY OPINION, in those situations he is better than Messi.

You can go ahead and say he isn't and post another gif but you won't sway me so I beg of you to not waste your time.
What the hell kind of tight spaces do you mean? These kinds?

How good would Iniesta be if he could shoot? - Page 3 Di-WHRA

Messi can do that after skinning two players, and with greater speed:

How good would Iniesta be if he could shoot? - Page 3 Di-19PU

Again what are these mystery tight spaces? Laughing
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:07 am

I was expecting that wall of quotes, and it totally proves my point. Messi/Pele is the superstar, the one who gets the fame, scores all the goals(goalscorers have always been more revered for some reason) and overshadows Iniesta/Garrincha. But when Messi/Pele is not there, Iniesta(won Spain their 1st WC/2 Euro triumphs)/Garrincha(carried Brazil to WC glory) shine and recieve the praise that they deserve.

No matter how hard Jiopsi tries to claim that Iniesta is no where near Messi's class i'm afriad hes wrong. Iniesta is only player equal to Messi and all that seperates them is goalscoring. If their roles were switched with Iniesta being the goalscorer and Messi the midfield maestro Jiopsi would be utterly convincd that Iniesta is in a league of his own and that Messi has nothing on him. Maybe he's shocked that there's Barca fan's like CBarca and I who haven't fully gotten on the Messi bandwagon and instead are on the Iniesta one, theres more by the way Wink
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:18 am

Jonathan28 wrote:I was expecting that wall of quotes, and it totally proves my point. Messi/Pele is the superstar, the one who gets the fame, scores all the goals(goalscorers have always been more revered for some reason) and overshadows Iniesta/Garrincha. But when Messi/Pele is not there, Iniesta(won Spain their 1st WC/2 Euro triumphs)/Garrincha(carried Brazil to WC glory) shine and recieve the praise that they deserve.
Oh it proved your point lol, that players appreciate Iniesta more? Lol, yeah many of those quotes weren't from players. WC/EC? Yes, because Iniesta can play with his Barcelona buddies, against worse and fewer opponents than they play at club level. Oh and weren't we talking about Barcelona, suddenly you jump to the NT? Where btw Messi is almost always the best player of the team. lol

No matter how hard Jiopsi tries to claim that Iniesta is no where near Messi's class i'm afriad hes wrong. Iniesta is only player equal to Messi and all that seperates them is goalscoring. If their roles were switched with Iniesta being the goalscorer and Messi the midfield maestro Jiopsi would be utterly convincd that Iniesta is in a league of his own and that Messi has nothing on him. Maybe he's shocked that there's Barca fan's like CBarca and I who haven't fully gotten on the Messi bandwagon and instead are on the Iniesta one, theres more by the way Wink
Where did I say say Iniesta is nowhere near Messi's class? Oh and you keep changing your arguments like delirious person you are. Laughing
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:22 am

Well I'm not on the bandwagon but at the same time I admit that Messi is definitely better than Iniesta.

I actually find it hilarious that I requested no gifs and Jiopsi goes and posts some.

It's ok for people to not think Messi is the best at something Jiopsi, you don't have to ride his dick all day for everything. I don't need gifs to prove what I think is true.

And wasn't that against Plzen...? Still highly impressive.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:28 am

CBarca wrote:Well I'm not on the bandwagon but at the same time I admit that Messi is definitely better than Iniesta.

I actually find it hilarious that I requested no gifs and Jiopsi goes and posts some.

It's ok for people to not think Messi is the best at something Jiopsi, you don't have to ride his dick all day for everything. I don't need gifs to prove what I think is true.

And wasn't that against Plzen...? Still highly impressive.
But I'm not riding the dick to the mysterious tight places you preach.

btw this happened in the same game:

How good would Iniesta be if he could shoot? - Page 3 Di-FYVZ
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:38 am

If I was a unknowledgable, this would be the perfect time to say "Iniesta has won a WC, Messi has not" :p To be fair for most people that would be the end of the argument but not for me, WC isn't everything, and even though with Argentina's terrible defense Messi will probably never win one, he'll always be the best player ever for me, after Iniesta of course :coffee:

Jiopsi you do seem to love Messi alot? Why not come to the Iniesta bandwagon? More room Smile
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:44 am

Jonathan28 wrote:If I was a unknowledgable, this would be the perfect time to say "Iniesta has won a WC, Messi has not" :p To be fair for most people that would be the end of the argument but not for me, WC isn't everything, and even though with Argentina's terrible defense Messi will probably never win one, he'll always be the best player ever for me, after Iniesta of course :coffee:

Jiopsi you do seem to love Messi alot? Why not come to the Iniesta bandwagon? More room Smile
And I would answer: Messi's three Ballon d'Or's says hello to Iniesta's 1/11 or something share of WC trophy.

I don't love Messi anymore than Iniesta, but I've problem everytime someone talks trash without any rationale reasoning, or concrete evidence.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next