The rationale behind Hulk

+2
Blue Barrett
Shed
6 posters

Go down

The rationale behind Hulk Empty The rationale behind Hulk

Post by Shed Wed May 30, 2012 5:52 pm

As we all know, if reports are to be believed, Hulk will be on his way to SW6 this summer. I was initially skeptical about this move, but the more I think it over, the more sense it makes. I admit I haven't seen Hulk play more than a handful of times, but going on reputation and statistics, it's easy to see why the club are pursuing him.

1) First, quite simply, we need a player who can effectively play wide right. Ramires has been a decent stopgap fill-in since Robbie took over, but it's obvious he's not going to be utilised there long-term. And Daniel "I still see myself as a CF" Sturridge has proven time and again that his decision-making when playing in that position is costing us big-time. Hulk, presumably, will fit the bill perfectly.

2) Second, is his physique. With Drogba gone and Lukaku still very raw, our team now lacks a forward with strength and physicality. Hulk, as anyone who even glances at him will know, would be the perfect person to restore that. As well as being a right winger, he can also play center-forward, which would offer us the Plan B Drogba would have given us had he stayed as an impact sub. After all, he didn't get the name Hulk for nothing Smile

3) The last, and most important I believe, reason for his signing is the goals he contributes. If we are intending to use Torres as our main-man up front, it would mean giving him the full confidence he felt he wasn't getting when Drogba was still here. This means not going out and buying another striker, as it would only take us back to square one with Fernando. The risk in this, of course, is possibly not having someone who can score goals consistently if Torres' form doesn't, in fact, improve. This is where Hulk comes in. In his last 2 seasons at Porto, the Brazilian, while contributing 36 assists in 91 appearances, has also manged to score 57 goals, which I presume were mostly, if not exclusively, from the wing. In essence, we'd be buying another striker without actually doing so, which is crucial with the aforementioned sensitive situation with Torres still among us. A wide-man who can contribute that many goals gives us an insurance policy in the goal-scoring department while, as I said, maintaining the full confidence in Torres as our main center-forward that he feels he needs to get back to his best.

So, any way I seem to look at it, it's a good move. We have the Champions League windfall, so there's no reason we shouldn't spend it on our rebuilding project. All around, this appears to be a smart, well-calculated decision by our board.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

The rationale behind Hulk Empty Re: The rationale behind Hulk

Post by Blue Barrett Wed May 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Dat analysis!

The rationale behind Hulk 00982873_clap_gif
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by iNFINITY9910 Wed May 30, 2012 8:07 pm

+ He is a good long range shooter. we dont have many right now with Lampards shots getting weaker and Essien out of the scene.
iNFINITY9910
iNFINITY9910
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

http://twitter.com/iNFINITY9910

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Wed May 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Raul to some extent is a good long ranger Razz

I have no real complaints about Hulk aside from the fit, but then again there's better things to complain about than too luck attacking talent.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 pm

Abramovich wrote:Raul to some extent is a good long ranger Razz

I have no real complaints about Hulk aside from the fit, but then again there's better things to complain about than too luck attacking talent.

Well, if you consider his shots from 20 and 30 yards out that wind up blasting 15 yards over the bar and give the Row Z crowd a bit of a thrill "good", then yea, sure.....

Laughing
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu May 31, 2012 2:22 am

I agree, it also means we will have great depth going into next year.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by iNFINITY9910 Thu May 31, 2012 3:53 am

I do agree with the Raul comment though.. he can shoot long shots.. not that effective though.
iNFINITY9910
iNFINITY9910
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Thu May 31, 2012 5:06 am

I wonder if he can play as a CF. If Torres gets injured, then if Hulk can play in the middle (in big matches, I don't want to depend on Sturridge) then this transfer would make more sense.

I agree with what the OP said, but the only problem I have with this transfer is how it would impact Ramires. I disagree with you labeling Ramires as just decent, he has been far more consistent this season that I rate him higher than Mata TBH.

If Hulk comes, then surely he'd be preferred as RW. And in a 4-2-3-1 the only place Ramires can play is alongside Mikel. He'll do great at RB but only in desperate circumstances would I consider a player sacrificing his original position to that extent.

Perhaps Roman is intending the new manager, or RDM if he stays, to switch to the 4-3-3. Then only can Hazard, Torres and Hulk can lead up front with Mata and Ramires behind them and Mikel in the middle.
Soul
Soul
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu May 31, 2012 5:15 am

Hulk can play CF. He is just more effective at RW.

Ramires will still play lots, I can see him coming on as a super sub as well as starting many matches. We could end up playing over 70 games next season.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by iNFINITY9910 Thu May 31, 2012 6:28 am

Anyone thought of this,,

----------------------Torres-----------------

---Hulk------------------------------Danny----

----------Hazard----------Mata-----------------

-------Lamps/Raul--------Mikel/Ramires------

-----Cole------JT---------Luiz---------------

----------------------Cech-------------------------
iNFINITY9910
iNFINITY9910
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu May 31, 2012 7:10 am

Wayy to poor defencively, but would be epic to watch!
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by iNFINITY9910 Thu May 31, 2012 1:18 pm

Yea, but we have enough discipline in the defence to play this IMO. And the two DM's will have to sit back. We will concede goals alright.. but we will score a hell lot more.
iNFINITY9910
iNFINITY9910
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu May 31, 2012 1:28 pm

Every match would be a goal fest!
Kick
Kick