urbaNRoots
Adrian0911
Grande_Milano
The Messiah
Blue Barrett
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jaap Stam: 'Fergie told us to dive to get penalties' Empty Jaap Stam: 'Fergie told us to dive to get penalties'

Post by Blue Barrett Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:35 pm

MANCHESTER UNITED defender Jaap Stam has caused a further stir in his autobiography by claiming that Sir Alex Ferguson encouraged his side to dive in an attempt to earn penalties when playing in Europe.

The Dutchman says that the English players in the squad found it hard to adopt the policy of going to ground easily, but that Ferguson believed that it was fair game on the continent.

"It's got to the stage where he has even told us: 'Don't try and stay on your feet if you're in the box and get a slight kick," Stam revealed in his autobiography being serialised in the Mirror.

"He wants us to copy other sides we face in European competitions and go down to win a penalty.

"Far too often English players seem determined to keep running after getting a whack on the leg, even though the chance to get a shot in has gone.

"I don't think diving has caught on with the English youngsters yet, as their fair-play mentality stops them from taking a tumble.

"Coaches at academy levels are honest and would stamp out that kind of cheating from their team.

Stam says that he does not advocate diving, as he is often penalised as a result of a forward going to ground under one of his challenges.

"I admit to becoming frustrated by the frequency of diving in the Champions League.

"Players from Holland and Scandinavia aren't divers, but those from Spain and Italy go down far too easily for my liking.

"Even players in Germany are used to taking a dive. In all those countries it looks like they have been brought up with it since their schooldays.

"It's tricky for me to take a dive, though. If I fall down under the slightest kick, I'm going to look stupid falling down like I've been shot."
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_2215755,00.html
Laughing

banana
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Jaap Stam: 'Fergie told us to dive to get penalties' Empty Re: Jaap Stam: 'Fergie told us to dive to get penalties'

Post by The Messiah Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Fergie says it because he already had an agreement with the referring
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Jaap Stam: 'Fergie told us to dive to get penalties' Empty Re: Jaap Stam: 'Fergie told us to dive to get penalties'

Post by Blue Barrett Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Idrisozet wrote:Fergie says it because he already had an agreement with the referring
:dance:
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:57 pm

we know it Jaap
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian0911 Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:35 pm

the idea of Stam diving...really made me laugh

Jaap Stam: 'Fergie told us to dive to get penalties' Strofl
Adrian0911
Adrian0911
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Jaap Stam: 'Fergie told us to dive to get penalties' No-shit-sherlock
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:35 am

FA to fine Jaap Stam.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 am

Manchester United weigh up €18m move for Valencia & Spain left-back Jordi Alba
The defender has attracted interest from Barcelona this season but is now being targeted by Sir Alex Ferguson to replace the ageing Patrice Evra

Manchester United are weighing up a €18 million swoop for Valencia left-back Jordi Alba, Goal.com UK has learned.

The Premier League champions are scouting a long-term replacement for Patrice Evra even though there is no suggestion that they could be ready to listen to offers for the Frenchman.

Alba has come to the attention of United since establishing himself in Valencia's first team and becoming a full Spain international last September.

Goal.com understands that Sir Alex Ferguson has instructed his scouts to take a closer look at Alba after initial reports on the 23-year-old earlier this year were said to be extremely encouraging.

Rivals Manchester City are also closely monitoring the defender and their scouts paid particular attention to him during the January window.

However, as revealed by Goal.com earlier this month, it is believed that City’s top left-back target to replace Aleksandar Kolarov is Lille teenager Lucas Digne, who could be available for €8.5m this summer.

Alba was released by Barcelona aged 16 but has flourished at Valencia, who are third in Spain’s Primera Liga.

He was called up to the Spain squad for last two Euro 2012 qualifiers against Scotland and Czech Republic last autumn, and started in the 1-0 friendly defeat to England at Wembley in November.

Valencia’s well-documented financial problems mean that the Spanish club could be ready to negotiate the sale of one of their prize assets. United sources believe a deal could be agreed for around the €18m mark.

Evra has been an ever-presence in United’s charge to the Premier League summit, starting all 33 of the team’s matches, as well as eight of their 11 European fixtures.

Nevertheless, his age – he turns 31 next month – and growing vulnerability have led United to consider long-term alternatives.

Fergie taking a more direct approach.

Why teach people how to dive when you can buy them ready made?
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by leemhuis Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:57 am

Jaap never dived.
leemhuis
leemhuis
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Despiadado.Maleante Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:20 am

Jaap Stam: 'Fergie told us to dive to get penalties' 1625187496
Despiadado.Maleante
Despiadado.Maleante
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:24 am

Le Samourai wrote:
Manchester United weigh up €18m move for Valencia & Spain left-back Jordi Alba
The defender has attracted interest from Barcelona this season but is now being targeted by Sir Alex Ferguson to replace the ageing Patrice Evra

Manchester United are weighing up a €18 million swoop for Valencia left-back Jordi Alba, Goal.com UK has learned.

The Premier League champions are scouting a long-term replacement for Patrice Evra even though there is no suggestion that they could be ready to listen to offers for the Frenchman.

Alba has come to the attention of United since establishing himself in Valencia's first team and becoming a full Spain international last September.

Goal.com understands that Sir Alex Ferguson has instructed his scouts to take a closer look at Alba after initial reports on the 23-year-old earlier this year were said to be extremely encouraging.

Rivals Manchester City are also closely monitoring the defender and their scouts paid particular attention to him during the January window.

However, as revealed by Goal.com earlier this month, it is believed that City’s top left-back target to replace Aleksandar Kolarov is Lille teenager Lucas Digne, who could be available for €8.5m this summer.

Alba was released by Barcelona aged 16 but has flourished at Valencia, who are third in Spain’s Primera Liga.

He was called up to the Spain squad for last two Euro 2012 qualifiers against Scotland and Czech Republic last autumn, and started in the 1-0 friendly defeat to England at Wembley in November.

Valencia’s well-documented financial problems mean that the Spanish club could be ready to negotiate the sale of one of their prize assets. United sources believe a deal could be agreed for around the €18m mark.

Evra has been an ever-presence in United’s charge to the Premier League summit, starting all 33 of the team’s matches, as well as eight of their 11 European fixtures.

Nevertheless, his age – he turns 31 next month – and growing vulnerability have led United to consider long-term alternatives.

Fergie taking a more direct approach.

Why teach people how to dive when you can buy them ready made?

:bow:
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:49 am

"Players from Holland and Scandinavia aren't divers..."

Probably the only funny thing he said, and by funny I mean incorrect
Diving is not a trait of race/ethnicity

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:59 am

Jaap Stam :bow:
SAF's player management skills :facepalm:
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoidberg Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:25 am

Luca wrote:"Players from Holland and Scandinavia aren't divers..."

Yes it is. South Americans dive more than North Americans. Right there proves that ethnicity matters. I see it in the MLS weekly.
Zoidberg
Zoidberg
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:41 am

Zoidberg wrote:

Yes it is. South Americans dive more than North Americans. Right there proves that ethnicity matters. I see it in the MLS weekly.
:vagi:
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:46 am

Alba and Young diving together on the left flank :bow:
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoidberg Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:53 am

Diving stinks, but it is part of the game.

It should still be laughed at every opportunity / ridicule the players who do it

Did anyone else get a kick out of Dani Alves scolding Drogba mid week over diving? It killed me
Zoidberg
Zoidberg
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:04 am

Zoidberg wrote:

Individual players, they don't dive because they are South Americans. It isn't in their genetics or anything.

They simply dive AND happen to be of South American descent.

Staam says players from Holland do not dive, if even one player dives who is from Holland, then his argument is void

Ps- welcome to the forums

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoidberg Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:10 am

"Individual players, they don't dive because they are South Americans. It isn't in their genetics or anything.

They simply dive AND happen to be of South American descent."

It is more than coincidence. I think that it is just more accepted at the youth levels in certain areas. The players grow up with it.

Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay... they do it the most. Then there is Portugal and Spain.
Zoidberg
Zoidberg
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:16 am

Zoidberg wrote:Diving stinks, but it is part of the game.

It should still be laughed at every opportunity / ridicule the players who do it

Did anyone else get a kick out of Dani Alves scolding Drogba mid week over diving? It killed me
Prime example of pot calling kettle black.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:19 am

leemhuis wrote:Jaap never dived.

Yeah well, all that means is that he didn't follow Fergie's instructions. The article isn't about him providing an excuse for his own diving.
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:02 am

When he's talking about the players diving and listing countries, i don't think he's talking about their ethnicities, but rather their footballing backgrounds within those countries. He's referring to the academies and the coaches within etc

Anyway, i need to get his book. Zlatan's was extremely entertaining.

Also this guy was an absolute monster of a defender, and a great overall player as well.
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:13 pm

I can't believe you guys actually think Young dived against Aston Villa. I don't like Yanited or Young but it wasn't a dive. Well luckily i got picture evidence to prove it:

Jaap Stam: 'Fergie told us to dive to get penalties' 21413qw
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Despiadado.Maleante Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:30 pm

The Verminator wrote:I can't believe you guys actually think Young dived against Aston Villa. I don't like Yanited or Young but it wasn't a dive. Well luckily i got picture evidence to prove it:

Jaap Stam: 'Fergie told us to dive to get penalties' 21413qw
Jaap Stam: 'Fergie told us to dive to get penalties' 1499845164
Despiadado.Maleante
Despiadado.Maleante
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotes Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:54 pm

This for real?
Cotes
Cotes
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next