Yellow cards for handball in Europe’s top five leagues this season (Absolutely shocking)

+12
Zealous
Mr Nick09
Kick
7amood11
guest7
Abramovich
Swanhends
che
fatman123
The Franchise
kiranr
rwo power
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Yellow cards for handball in Europe’s top five leagues this season (Absolutely shocking) Empty Yellow cards for handball in Europe’s top five leagues this season (Absolutely shocking)

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:38 am

Yellow cards for handball in Europe’s top five leagues this season:

England/BPL 14
Germany/Bundesliga 15
France/Ligue 1 24
Italy/Serie A 30
Spain/LaLiga 133

People questioned it and Opta came back saying it is not a typo.....

What do you make of this.......

Back to top Go down

Yellow cards for handball in Europe’s top five leagues this season (Absolutely shocking) Empty Re: Yellow cards for handball in Europe’s top five leagues this season (Absolutely shocking)

Post by rwo power Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:47 am

Well, it could be that refs in Spain give a yellow for both intentional and unintentional handballs, while in England and Germany they are better able to decide whether it was intentional or not?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Yellow cards for handball in Europe’s top five leagues this season (Absolutely shocking) Empty Re: Yellow cards for handball in Europe’s top five leagues this season (Absolutely shocking)

Post by kiranr Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:47 am

Since there is such a huge disparity, it surely means they have a different understanding of the rule as compared to the refs from the other leagues.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:52 am

I am not even surprised.

Messi has at least 4 yellows for handball, I think all of them were accidental.

La Liga refs give handball and then automatically a yellow, even if accidental.

Worst refs in Europe, living up to their name.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:59 am

The Franchise wrote:I am not even surprised.

Yeah I knew LigaBBVA gave out more yellows for handballs but I did not expect it to be by this much, absolutely crazy numbers.

O.o

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:59 am

The Franchise wrote:I am not even surprised.

it has to be this, i mena theres no way players in spain are that shifty
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 am

Crimson, do you have the numbers for the number of handball fouls called too?
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:13 am

kiranr wrote:
Crimson, do you have the numbers for the number of handball fouls called too?

No I nabbed this off Opta Sad sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:29 am

Yeah, I am surprised its that big a gap.

Again, these guys just arent doing their jobs properly.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 am

half of them probably weren't even handballs in the first place...
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Laughing
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:13 pm

They give yellows for unintentional handballs? wtf??
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:18 pm

for illustration, this is the kind of "handball" and "yellow card" we're talking about

che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:23 pm

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:38 pm

sort of looked to me like Messi corralled the ball with his hand on that one, so I'm not sure I have a problem with the yellow in that case...Suppose thats open to interpretation though
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:41 pm

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:sort of looked to me like Messi corralled the ball with his hand on that one, so I'm not sure I have a problem with the yellow in that case...Suppose thats open to interpretation though

No that was what happened. All 4 of Messi's yellows have been that, all fair.

There are cases of unfair handballs tho, but all of Messi's have been for the same reason.
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:43 pm

I understand ruling out the goal, but no way was that intentional and warranting a yellow.

I dont even believe the ref saw it from behind.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:45 pm

The Franchise wrote:

That looked like a pretty intentional handball to me.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:48 pm

No, his first touch lead the ball to his hand..his hand didnt go towards the ball.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:48 pm

The Franchise wrote:I understand ruling out the goal, but no way was that intentional and warranting a yellow.

I dont even believe the ref saw it from behind.

Its tough...if it wasn't intentional it was most certainly extremely fortunate
I'm sure luck and intent are very hard to distinguish in cases like that

Also yeah I highly doubt the ref saw it either so I guess ^^^^^^ is moot really, lol...

Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:52 pm

The Franchise wrote:No, his first touch lead the ball to his hand..his hand didnt go towards the ball.

Look at the last replay again. Messi pushed the ball forward a bit with his hand.

EDIT: After watching it again, I'm not sure on whether it's intentional or not, but it's a very tough decision, it could have went either way.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:00 pm

Obviously, to play in Spain you must have to have the mentality of a goalkeeper.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:00 pm

Well, I disagree. To me, it seems tough and giving a yellow for supposed INTENTIONAL handballs like these is why La Liga has over 100 more than other leagues.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:05 pm

La Liga refs do not bother if it's intentional or not, they will just give you a yellow card. You touch it = yellow card. I have seen defenders getting scrwed with this rule because they had a yellow already.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Wouldn't be the first time Messi handled the ball intentionally. He's tried to steal the league with handballs all his career.

In any case I blame the media. They've made it impossible for refs to do their jobs properly. Every mistake is ridiculed so they have to resort to blanket rules like this one.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next