Has Liverpool arrived to Reclaim their Days of Glory...?

+39
Gil
Firenze
BarrileteCosmico
McAgger
lszanto
SchinnerC
stevieg8
BeautifulGame
Art Morte
S
Onyx
sportsczy
Die Borussen
Sri
Emaharg
fatman123
chinomaster182
RedOranje
donttreadonred
Dutti
iftikhar
Red Alert
alexjanosik
windkick
Dnmac4
kabarca
Abramovich
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Lord Hades
Jay29
StevieRayVaughan
Yeezus
poolsupporter
justdoit_
RealGunner
the xcx
Le Samourai
Nishankly
The Messiah
43 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Has Liverpool arrived to Reclaim their Days of Glory...? - Page 2 Empty Re: Has Liverpool arrived to Reclaim their Days of Glory...?

Post by poolsupporter Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:07 am

@GoonerJay - From my understanding, the one thing Liverpool were trying very hard to accomplish with their new signings were:

1) The ability to create chances - And they have done so.
2) Potential/Young players - I'd say the only young player with any potential is Henderson

Everything I've read about the matter suggests that the chance creation was one of those big statistics that were looked at. (I don't have any sources for this atm) I honestly think the Adam buy was probably pressure from the fans. A number of fans were fixated on him since the prior winter and most everyone was almost certain he was going to be an LFC player come summer. Not to mention a number of fans had these unrealistic expectations of him to become the Alonso replacement.

Downing was bought to put in crosses and he was far from terrible at Villa. Henderson in my opinion was bought because he was relatively young and already had 2 years of PL experience under his belt.

The style of our play doesn't seem like it was a consideration in all honesty. I can't figure out if we even have one. We just seem to lack creativity around the box. (Besides Suarez and the odd display from someone else) Most of our chance creation has come from corners, free kicks and crosses. So the owners got what they were looking for in terms of numbers, but it has left a lot to be desired in terms of the actual performances.

I don't think any Liverpool fan could have guessed the players we bought last summer prior to the news breaking out. The likes of Hendo, Downing, Bellamy, etc. definitely surprised me.

poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Has Liverpool arrived to Reclaim their Days of Glory...? - Page 2 Empty Re: Has Liverpool arrived to Reclaim their Days of Glory...?

Post by alexjanosik Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:21 am

I dont think Kenny is the problem.
There is only so much he can do with the average players he has.Maybe he can be blamed for bringing in those players.
Simply put they need better players especially in attack.
Carroll is a poor excuse for a footballer.They need to kick him out.
Buy a world class striker,another world class forward and I think they are set.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:16 am

Kenny is the man to take us forward. He's guided us to our first trophy in 6 seasons, and we're still in contention for a cup double. Sacking him... in only one 'first season' would be suicidal. Let him build his team and see how it works. He's had key players out for large periods of time let it be with contreversy or injuries. We shouldn't do the same mistake as we did with Rafa. Sacking him will only kill the PR at the club.

Regarding signings, the only 'flop' has been Stewart Downing. He has only impressed in 'cup games' and if he isn't going to perform in the PL, he should just be sold. He isn't fit to wear a LFC shirt when a 32 year old with damaged knees outperforms you day in day out.

Henderson is wasted at RM, but he has the potential to be a star for us in the centre. Kuyt has been meh all season and we don't really have another other wingers. We did overspend with Henderson and Carroll, but I could see them coming very good. I mean, Andy Carroll has had seven wins and two draws in his last nine starts. He takes the burden off of Suarez who has to fight against four defenders on his own when he starts alone.

Our season ended when Leiva was struck by injury. He dictated everything, setting the tempo and shielded the back four superbly gifting us the opportunity to dominate possession and dominate games. We havn't adjusted without him yet. We've tried everything... and that's sort of the reason why SG has been moved back to CM. Our midfield is horrible with Adam and Spearing.

With Stevie playing in the middle, Suarez has it all to do in the final third and none of our forwards can finish. Gerrard has missed just over half the season and is one of our top goal scorers....... We need to sign a marquee forward next season that knows how to finish. Preferably Hunterlaar as he's played with Suarez at Ajax. I personally want Cavani as he is immense, but there is no chance of him coming to us with no CL. Hoping Suarez convinces him though. Very Happy!

The only problem I've had with Kenny is not playing youth and playing the likes of Carragher and Kuyt in games when they're on the decline. Carroll needs games if he's going to get better, and Coates isn't going to improve sitting on the bench watching Jamie Carragher having lapse of concentrations every game for the opposion to take advantage off of.

Last season when Kenny was reappointed, Kuyt, Maxi and Suarez couldn't stop scoring which resulted in us signing a lot of players that 'create' in which they have... but for our forwards not producing the goals. Maxi hasn't featured much and personally I'm not too sure why but it could be as he's gone next season [he wants to go back to Argentina when his contract is up] which has resulted in us not playing him. Again, all speculation as I don't know what goes behind the doors.

@ Alex: You're right. We only need to sign two forwards upfront but I do disagree with selling Carroll. I don't really rate the guy, but he has the potential to be great. Him off the bench will be a great option.

Personally wouldn't mind Isla either. Very good utility player and has expressed his interest with us. Really hope we can sign him to replace Kuyt for next season.

Also... this 'all liverpool british' shit is really pissing me off.

3/4 of our starting XI isn't British ffs.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:53 pm

We need a good striker. Right now every team we play knows Suarez is our main (read only) threat and they come prepared. I think it's having it's toll on him. It's de ja vu. From Torres & Gerrard to Suarez & Gerrard (a year older & from a long lay-off).

If Carrol finds his form then it's good news as we can't expect to compete for T-4 with just one striker.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutti Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Try partnering Suarez with a striker.

I know this wouldn't get Liverpool back to what they were but IMO Suarez needs a compatible partner up front.
Dutti
Dutti
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Torres-Suarez was the original plan. Why did he have to f*ck it all up. These two would have been fantastic together.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:55 pm

ynwa wrote:Kenny is the man to take us forward. He's guided us to our first trophy in 6 seasons, and we're still in contention for a cup double. Sacking him... in only one 'first season' would be suicidal. Let him build his team and see how it works. He's had key players out for large periods of time let it be with contreversy or injuries. We shouldn't do the same mistake as we did with Rafa. Sacking him will only kill the PR at the club.

Regarding signings, the only 'flop' has been Stewart Downing. He has only impressed in 'cup games' and if he isn't going to perform in the PL, he should just be sold. He isn't fit to wear a LFC shirt when a 32 year old with damaged knees outperforms you day in day out.

Henderson is wasted at RM, but he has the potential to be a star for us in the centre. Kuyt has been meh all season and we don't really have another other wingers. We did overspend with Henderson and Carroll, but I could see them coming very good. I mean, Andy Carroll has had seven wins and two draws in his last nine starts. He takes the burden off of Suarez who has to fight against four defenders on his own when he starts alone.

Our season ended when Leiva was struck by injury. He dictated everything, setting the tempo and shielded the back four superbly gifting us the opportunity to dominate possession and dominate games. We havn't adjusted without him yet. We've tried everything... and that's sort of the reason why SG has been moved back to CM. Our midfield is horrible with Adam and Spearing.

With Stevie playing in the middle, Suarez has it all to do in the final third and none of our forwards can finish. Gerrard has missed just over half the season and is one of our top goal scorers....... We need to sign a marquee forward next season that knows how to finish. Preferably Hunterlaar as he's played with Suarez at Ajax. I personally want Cavani as he is immense, but there is no chance of him coming to us with no CL. Hoping Suarez convinces him though. Very Happy!

The only problem I've had with Kenny is not playing youth and playing the likes of Carragher and Kuyt in games when they're on the decline. Carroll needs games if he's going to get better, and Coates isn't going to improve sitting on the bench watching Jamie Carragher having lapse of concentrations every game for the opposion to take advantage off of.

Last season when Kenny was reappointed, Kuyt, Maxi and Suarez couldn't stop scoring which resulted in us signing a lot of players that 'create' in which they have... but for our forwards not producing the goals. Maxi hasn't featured much and personally I'm not too sure why but it could be as he's gone next season [he wants to go back to Argentina when his contract is up] which has resulted in us not playing him. Again, all speculation as I don't know what goes behind the doors.

@ Alex: You're right. We only need to sign two forwards upfront but I do disagree with selling Carroll. I don't really rate the guy, but he has the potential to be great. Him off the bench will be a great option.

Personally wouldn't mind Isla either. Very good utility player and has expressed his interest with us. Really hope we can sign him to replace Kuyt for next season.

Also... this 'all liverpool british' shit is really pissing me off.

3/4 of our starting XI isn't British ffs.

You can say the same thing about Hunterlaar
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:05 pm

The answer to the question is pretty simple:

- Finish Chances - We've been utterly dismal in this area all season. Last summer we bought players to create chances, and for the most part that was successful. We had anticipated Suarez Carroll and Kuyt being able to convert those chances into goals. Unfortunately, Kuyt has been woefully profligate in front of goal, Suarez has seen more woodwork than many carpenters, and Carroll... well it's hard to score from the bench.

- Buy Well - There are a few positions in the club that still need to be strengthened, meaning a player that should go immediately into the starting IX. One definite need is a forward who has a knack for scoring "ugly" goals. This doesn't necessarily have to be a CF to replace Carroll. Tis could be a wide forward to fill Kuyt's place.

- Stay Healthy - Injuries to Gerrard, Lucas and Agger have conspired to ensure that our best IX have never taken the pitch together this season. A revolving door of players have stepped in to try to fill the gaps left by these injuries, but they simply haven't had the same quality. With a spine of Skrtel, Agger, Lucas and Gerrard, the managerial staff need only to choose the correct pieces to complement them in any given match.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Liverpool must take advantage of Sahin's situation in Madrid and also look at strikers like Villarreal Rossi or Roberto Soldado (since La Liga players usually excel in Liverpool.

Then they need creative and persistence players like Robben and Ribbery that can break defensive teams, say for example they could have gone for Shaqiri or Hazzard. They could even try Podolski

also Pranjic, Elia and Krasic will be good for rotation.

-------------------Reina-----------------
Johnson---Å krtel----Agger---Enrique
-------------------Lucas------------------
----------Sahin------------Axel----------
------------------Gerard------------------
---------Suarez------------Soldado-----
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:23 am

The Messiah wrote:Liverpool must take advantage of Sahin's situation in Madrid and also look at strikers like Villarreal Rossi or Roberto Soldado (since La Liga players usually excel in Liverpool.

Then they need creative and persistence players like Robben and Ribbery that can break defensive teams, say for example they could have gone for Shaqiri or Hazzard. They could even try Podolski

also Pranjic, Elia and Krasic will be good for rotation.

-------------------Reina-----------------
Johnson---Å krtel----Agger---Enrique
-------------------Lucas------------------
----------Sahin------------Axel----------
------------------Gerard------------------
---------Suarez------------Soldado-----

Sad Whatever happened to Liverpool. Sad
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:23 am

"Since La Liga players usually excel in Liverpool"... You've only been watching football for 5 to 7 years then, eh?

Since you're only taking Rafa's time and on into account.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 am

Step 1: Find 2 billion pounds
Step 2: Spend it wisely
Step 3: Drop Steven Gerrard
Step 4: Win
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:29 am

Oil money :coffee:
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Emaharg Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:55 am

Get rid of Carragher.
Sign wide players.
Have Suarez play off a CF.
Get a creative midfielder.
Emaharg
Emaharg
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:14 am

A run of 4-5 wins in a row would do it.

Last edited by RealGunner on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:23 am

I am still curious to see how BR fares as a manager. But the solution is not so simple.. The squad has to be cleaned up to suit his philosophy and there is little time left in the transfer window to see this happen..

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Rogers is so overrated. Lambert >>>>>>>>>>>>> that scum bag.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Die Borussen Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:13 pm

obviously get rafa back

Die Borussen
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Stop paying over the odds for players that did well for mid-table clubs.

Stop making knee jerk choices.

Although i think a really really poor season can do them good and i mean a really really poor season.

Some of them need a dose of reality that they are not a contender any more and need a big shock to the system.

Similar how we needed to be relegated to make us realise we wasn't a contender any more.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:05 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Stop paying over the odds for players that did well for mid-table clubs.

Stop making knee jerk choices.

Although i think a really really poor season can do them good and i mean a really really poor season.

Some of them need a dose of reality that they are not a contender any more and need a big shock to the system.

Similar how we needed to be relegated to make us realise we wasn't a contender any more.

I second this.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:25 pm

A midfield would be nice lol
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Not sacking managers every year.

That's the most important step

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Get quality players. No more overrated British players. Even if it's a bargain from a foreign club.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:28 pm

If they add Sahin,they'll have the second best midfield in the league.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Try to lure a true technician manager like Christian Gourcuff of Lorient. He's managed to draw PSG and beat Montpellier this season and his budget is less than RvP's annual wage. Done this year in and year out. They play attractive footy to boot.

Montanier in La Liga's Real Sociedad is a very solid manager too.

As long as they try to stick with an old dying system, the club can't progress.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:31 pm

sportsczy wrote:Try to lure a true technician manager like Christian Gourcuff of Lorient. .

Hands off him!!!!
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next