When the Judiciary is Corrupt...

3 posters

Go down

When the Judiciary is Corrupt... Empty When the Judiciary is Corrupt...

Post by Soul Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 am

This could be a long read into somethings that aren't really related to you and have little knowledge in but I'd appreciate it if those who are interested in Politics to share their views.

The Maldives experienced democracy in 2008 with a change in power after a 30 year rule by a single individual who ruled as he pleased. The change was brought by the Maldividan Democratic Party (MDP) who did a lot of things for the country.

Things they did include:
  • The Govt started paying for overseas exam fees for secondary students for the first time
  • Free text books and stationary
  • Started a project of 10,000 houses to bring down the cost of living
  • Started a sustainable economic system introducing GST and abandoning tariffs
  • Started to pay old age benefits to every 65+ year old
  • Started a pension scheme
  • Created independent organizations and commissions that served as watchdogs (commissions for Police Integrity, Elections, Media Broadcasting, Anti-Corruption etc)
  • Efficient transportation system around Maldives and a Bus Travel system in the captial
  • FREE healthcare

The list goes on. And that does not include the change in constitution that allowed Freedom of Expression and a great extension of rights that were previsouly oppressed. Pre-2008 nobody challenged nor questioned the government. Those who did were dealt in the form of solitary cell confinement, torture, and allegedly, death. Since the media were under the control of the government exclusively, they never aired anything that could question the authority.

The opposition (DRP) who were out to do the dirty work were always finding ways to stop the progress that MDP was making as it gave them a bad name and knew they had little chance for the next election.

As some of you may have read in the news, MDP's reign is now over.

After MDP did a lot of things as mentioned, they then set out to do the last thing on their manifesto; a transparent Judiciary system that provided justice to everyone.

Thing is, whenever the police captured drug lords and other dangerous criminals (who are allegedly linked to DRP individuals who shares a part of their profits), the court always either delays or rejects the case claiming a lack of evidence. For instance, for the first time in Maldivian history, the police presented a case against a large scale drug dealer with hard evidence, witnesses, photos and even videos that were compiled over a period exceeded an year. It was brushed off as a lack of evidence.

A 20 year old guy (we were classmates back in high school) that was arrested for stabbing a teenage boy to death was released on the grounds that the Ministry of Health did not provide a medical report of his in time. The next day, he killed another person. Where is he? On house arrest, and the case is likely to be closed as the judge feels there is still a lack of evidence.

There are several cases like this. So why is he still around? He is in charge of overseeing cases of many politicians from the DRP that he is purposely delaying; some have exceeded even 3 years. So whenever MDP filed cases against him to the Judiciary Service Commission (JSC) it was never effective. They didnt even bother to have an investigation.

And then, finally the JSC stated after an investigation following a lot of pressure, that the judge concerning all the cases mentioned above has known issues and a thorough investigation is needed. Yet it was just a statement. No investigations were made on their behalf.

Frustrated, the police then requested a warrant to bring in the judge for questioning. He ignored. A warrant was released again, he ignored it again and submitted it to a high court to overrule it.

Finally MDP took him in for questioning by force. He wasn't hurt though. He was taken away to a nearby police island and held there. And then protests and riots began from the DRP that lasted 22 days. They called for the release of the judge and caused a lot of disturbances in the capital. The Human Rights Commission visited the judge in the island and stated that he is being well taken care of but criticized the fact that he was being held against his will.

And on 7th February 2012, a small group of police mutinied against the government and joined the DRP. They went on to destroy the official area of MDP (where they held meetings). The army was then instructed to stop this madness. Yet, several high ranking army individuals ordered the army to join with the police and DRP. They went on to 'kidnap' the President Nasheed (MDP) and hijacked the government media. They stormed the Government TV building and forced the staff to air coverage being brought by the opposition channels.

Shortly after that, the President resigned. Few hours later, the judge was released. 24 hours later, the police provoked and attacked many MDP members on the street and for the first time, the protests ended in bloodshed. Check out YouTube for clips. I'll post a video soon.

The atrocities that are happening right now is too long for me write over here.

All this started with the arrest of a judge. If you were the MDP, what would you have done differently?
Soul
Soul
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

When the Judiciary is Corrupt... Empty Re: When the Judiciary is Corrupt...

Post by Forza Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:55 am

In Australia we get some news about what happens around the world, including the crisis in the Maldives. I'm interested to know why there seems to be a group of people who support the DRP, despite the good work of the MDP?

I'm actually a law student, so from my perspective the MDP should've created a strict separation of powers between the executive (government decision-makers, ministers, etc.), legislature (MPs, the law-makers) and the judiciary. Then they should have got the people to vote for this system to give them a mandate to introduce it. In this way, the three arms operate to keep each other accountable (theoretically). I could be completely wrong though because I don't have the context or knowledge about the existing political & legal systems in operation before the rise of the MDP.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:25 am

AFAIk the problem was the former president sacking an influential judge for corruption, and he was too connected, so the president got done away, right?

It made the news in Germany but I have to admit that I don't remember the specifics all too well, except that I remembered that the President was the first moderate leader the Maldives had in decades, which is probably why he pissed off the reactionary forces.

If you're hugely corrupt, progress is bad for business.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum