Amar
Great Leader Sprucenuce
BarrileteCosmico
Ganso
Le Samourai
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Christopher Nolan. Empty Christopher Nolan.

Post by Le Samourai Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:17 pm

This is a guy who many have divided opinions on, some believe he's the greates to ever hold a camera, the best since Kubrick while some completely hate him for various reasons.I'd be interested to see what you guys think about his body of work, where he's earned his praised , what aspects of his style and process you feel makes him unique and/or average in any way.

Also you can perhaps use this as a vehicle to discuss any of his movies.

Full list

1998 Following
2000 Memento
2002 Insomnia
2005 Batman Begins
2006 The Prestige
2008 The Dark Knight
Inception
2012 The Dark Knight Rises

You can rank them in order from best to worst but please try to justify your rankings.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Christopher Nolan. Empty Re: Christopher Nolan.

Post by Ganso Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:30 pm

TDK is the only movie i really like from him.My top 3 favorite movie actually...the rest i didnt like or was just ok.Really dont get the hype on Inception and Insomnia
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:34 pm

I think GL should be a huge fan, he's made a career making movies about deception :vagi:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Wait, Nolan directed The Prestige?

He just went up in my estimation for that alone, i love that film.....

I thought he just done the Batman films and Inception which i loved anyways.

But nowhere near as much as i enjoyed The Prestige.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:53 pm

I’m just engaging in discussion if you view differently I don't have a problem.What I took away from Inception

I think it’s a mistake for a moviegoer to write off a film simply because it may or may not deliver the cinematic equivalent of an essay’s thesis statement.Philosophically, Inception wasn't deep enough to teach you any lesson or give you an answer , but it did just enough to make you question things , like reality , like dreams, it was certainly thought provoking.

While I certainly love the art house (Godard, Tarkovsky, Kubrick, etc.), I recognize with deliberate fervor the extreme skill it takes for a filmmaker (specifically, Nolan) to entertain an audience (a skill that remains grossly unappreciated in the elitist circles).

Cobb’s admonition to his team that, to properly plant an idea, one must plant the notion in a simple, visceral form so that it “grows naturally in the subject’s mind,” loosely, I think, applies to cinema.

Obviously I don’t mean that a film should dumb down cerebral themes or spoon-feed simplistic notions to its audience, but I do mean that film is a primarily emotional art; Nolan, rather than self-consciously treading deep existential waters, has dropped a few simple-yet-enthralling psychological themes into Inception’s mesmerizing world, and trusted that the audience will cultivate these insight-seeds through post-screening conversation and rumination.

Generally speaking, an audience should lean forward in empathy and suspense before it sits back in detached, impersonal reflection. It is this brand of pure entertainment (as opposed to the numb, flashbang mindlessness of say Transformers 2 :facepalm: ) that makes a film a different thing than a textbook.

I Nolan for his achievement, for I know from personal experience that to enthrall an audience is far more difficult than to deliver a dry lecture and call it a film.

Pure film is dreamlike, and I prefer not to psychoanalyze while I dream; I’ll leave such left-braining for the waking hours when the lights come up.

And even though in contemplation I realise that there are holes in almost every sequence shot in the movie, that there is stuff that just can't be re consolidated, I forgive it because nothing can replace my initial awe upon first seeing it.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:55 pm

Memento Thumbs up
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:43 pm

I love every single one of his movies. Need to watch Following, which was the only one I haven't watched.

Great director with massive talent. Needs to keep on doing movies.

The Prestige is indeed his most underrated movie. Can't go wrong with Tesla wank, plus the ending is deceiving as usual.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:49 pm

What aspects of his movies do you guys specifically enjoy?

Ganso, why didn't you think Inception was great , care to point out what you felt it didn't do?
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Great thread, Josh.

"Memento" is an amazing film. I actually loved it as a child and realized the love was true when I watched it again as an adult.

"The Prestige" was also a great film.

I enjoyed "Following" and I'm not normally a big fan of the black and white films.

I think "Inception" is quite underrated and I think most people don't actually know what was really going on in that movie. Shout out to dmize for sharing this video with me; I think everyone should watch it...

Trust me when I say it's worth the 40 minutes.

Josh, you should check out "A Scanner Darkly" and "Waking Life"; those are two of my favorite films.

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:30 pm

^^ That Inception guy is awesome.

I've seen all of Nolan's movies(even Following). I liked Following a lot, really well done considering the budget he had(made it in college I believe). Pretty cool how you can find a Batman logo in the movie a few times. Shows he was a big fan long before he directed BB.

Memento is still probably my favorite followed closely by TDK. The Prestige right behind that. Inception, Following, BB, Insomnia after those.

Last edited by dmize on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:24 am

Christopher Nolan is one of my favorite directors of ALL time. Loved everyone of his movies that I saw.

I haven't seen Insomnia or Following yet, but the rest have been amazing.

I'd rate his movies something like this:

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Prestige
3. Inception
4. Batman Begins
5. Memento

Hopefully The Dark Knight Arises will top my list once it comes out.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:40 am

I'd rank Inception and Following highest on the list solely for the fact that he wrote those movies himself ( not just the screenplays ). I wouldn't say he's the best, and neither is Kubrick ( I personally thought he massacred Space Odyssey ), but he provides high octane entertainment without resorting to the usual mainstream tactics.

Nolan's definitely one of the top tier directors in Hollywood, But this shouldn't take away from the fact that there's plenty of directors with tenfold the skill and vision ; while only working with a relative fraction of the acting talent and budget .

If I were to measure Hollywood directors, the bar to meet would be Wes Anderson. Then again, I really like my auteurs so my opinion is fairly biased in their favor. Very Happy If I were to rank Nolan's movies based on personal entertainment value, it would be the Dark Knight followed by The Prestige
The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:29 pm

THC 10 wrote:Great thread, Josh.

Trust me when I say it's worth the 40 minutes.

Josh, you should check out "A Scanner Darkly" and "Waking Life"; those are two of my favorite films.

I watched Scanner Darkly and loved i'll check out Waking life......

The guy in the vid :bow: .

I need to learn to do this type of stuff, it's amazing how they do that off movies , it's so much easier with literature, you have time to mull over stuff,but with movies you really are really required to make instant connections when they're asked of you.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Interesting analysis of a particular philosophical argument posed by Memento.

Spoiler:
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:38 am

The Lizard King wrote:I'd rank Inception and Following highest on the list solely for the fact that he wrote those movies himself ( not just the screenplays ). I wouldn't say he's the best, and neither is Kubrick ( I personally thought he massacred Space Odyssey ), but he provides high octane entertainment without resorting to the usual mainstream tactics.

Nolan's definitely one of the top tier directors in Hollywood, But this shouldn't take away from the fact that there's plenty of directors with tenfold the skill and vision ; while only working with a relative fraction of the acting talent and budget .

If I were to measure Hollywood directors, the bar to meet would be Wes Anderson. Then again, I really like my auteurs so my opinion is fairly biased in their favor. Very Happy If I were to rank Nolan's movies based on personal entertainment value, it would be the Dark Knight followed by The Prestige

For me his best work is Following & Memento, the thing with Nolan brothers works is how famous they're with their plot twist. To maintain their trademark, they tried to put in twist just for the sake of twist, that could suspend all your belief, i.e. the ending of The Prestige. Their movies are entertaining but somehow I found their later projects less enjoyable, no rewatchable values & the acting is not that great. When you know/understand the twist, there is no reason to revisit. Following & Memento has great acting, great pacing ( I have problem with his Batman pacing)

Kudos to Wes Anderson, I love his movies and have watched Rushmore dozen times, definitely not everyone cup of tea, similar to PTA.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:35 am

Twoism wrote:
The Lizard King wrote:I'd rank Inception and Following highest on the list solely for the fact that he wrote those movies himself ( not just the screenplays ). I wouldn't say he's the best, and neither is Kubrick ( I personally thought he massacred Space Odyssey ), but he provides high octane entertainment without resorting to the usual mainstream tactics.

For me his best work is Following & Memento, the thing with Nolan brothers works is how famous they're with their plot twist. To maintain their trademark, they tried to put in twist just for the sake of twist, that could suspend all your belief, i.e. the ending of The Prestige. Their movies are entertaining but somehow I found their later projects less enjoyable, no rewatchable values & the acting is not that great. When you know/understand the twist, there is no reason to revisit. Following & Memento has great acting, great pacing ( I have problem with his Batman pacing)

Kudos to Wes Anderson, I love his movies and have watched Rushmore dozen times, definitely not everyone cup of tea, similar to PTA.

@Lizard King-I loved Odyssey but I never read the book so i can't really compare it.I thought the opening scene though and If you have a chance check out the screenplay because I've read many and I've never read one written with the depth that A space odyssey was.It was novel like literature and directing it would've been a hell of a task.

I'd actually say I agree though.I think guys like Anderson,PTA,(Lynch and Tarantino are also a couple personal favorites but that's for another thread) are amazing technically , have a more refined vision for their projects and in general have a better knowledge and understanding of film and how you use the technical aspects to carry that vision across.

What distinguishes Nolan for me though, is his story telling.Nolan pushes the medium of film past its traditional boundaries and effectively stimulates the evolution of narrative.The rhythym of Memento was nothing short of an amazing achievement in stroy telling, I won't go as far as saying it was revolutionary, but it certainly pushed the limits of a often overused style confined it in a rhythm, that is unique, perplexing and intiguing.It's probably the accomplishment I most respect him for.

His method challeges the audience thoroughly, muchmore than can be said for many others.Sometimes I think he forgets his borders though, but it's a tough balancing act and one which most directors decide to ignore anyway.

@Twoism- Didn't rewatch Inception?

You should really watch the video THC posted lol, Inception was just a great great movie, whether or not he meant it to be , it was extrordinary.The color enhancements and the CGI plus the amazingly coordinated use of music are perhaps the most important things you can take away from it as a filmmaker, the acting wasn't amazing(Hardy was excellent tho)
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:56 am

@ragbirjosh , regarding Space Odyssey - The in-depth screenplay was probably due to the fact that he worked in tandem with Arthur c. Clarke in writing it. That guy was a sci fi legend, and was approached by Kubrick to write the story for the ultimate sci fi story. I'm not being very accurate, just recounting as much as I can from the prologue that I read for the Space Odyssey novel .

I like what you did with this thread bro. +1 for effort, and for the fact that noone has mentioned Steven Spielberg ( I just hate him for the amount of movies that he regurgitates every year ) . And I must confess I don't know who the *bleep* PTA is ! I'm going for a film minor in University, and even considering being an amateur film maker. It's a good idea to focus on single directors and compare their different works.

We should make this thread more specific. Have a specific director for a month or two, and have a list of recommended movies for us to watch and discuss. Sort of like a nuage movie club. Pretty wishful thinking, but I don't think it's a bad idea.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to start off with less popular directors too, so everyone can be equally involved. I'm not very involved in the forum, but if you like the idea I'd more than encourage that you take the initiative. Especially you josh, since you're only 16 you could learn a lot from our recommendations. And vice versa ofcourse. I'm sure THC has his fair share of insightful revelations.

The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:22 am

Makes sense.That screenplay, was amazing, I've read and re-read it and what he captures , and how deep it goes in just short of 70 pages is stunning.It's definitely shown too, the traditional script gets you about 1 minute per page of screen time(rough average).........this one gets just over 2.

I really did mean forthe thread to be an exploration of his work soley, I think comparisons sometimes ruin things and cut the depth of exploration short.I'll try your suggestion, I started with the most famous first for indulgent reasons(he's also by far my favourite- what got me interested in writing films and and the film industry on the whole in the first place....well...seriously interested)

Dunno how many people would actually watch the movies tho lol.

Off topic: I want to be a filmmaker, primarily my interest would be screen writing tho.If I get a scholarship i'll try to apply to USC but the acceptance rate is low and my test scores won't matter so it isn't realistic.I'll probably end up doing a minor in film studies or creative writing , and then try to get into a good film program at NYU , UCLA or USC.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:32 am

Understood. The suggestion for the nuage movie club was wishful thinking, to say the least. Didn't really expect it to come to fruition Very Happy

Also - you should look into Canadian Universities as well. I'm currently studying at UTM and it offers a fair variety of film courses, and it increases in scope with each passing year. The key difference being that it costs almost as half as much as an American degree. This being significant only if you're an international student, which I'm guessing you're bound to be. And, Canada kicks ass.

One last thing. Seriously guys..who the fks PTA ?!
The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:38 am

Paul Thomas Anderson.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:40 am

Danke Thumbs up

Haven't seen much of his work.
The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:45 am

Magnolia is my favourite.

Boogie Nights was great too and There will be blood is amazing but you have to be patient.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 am

Le Samourai wrote:
Twoism wrote:

@Lizard King-I loved Odyssey but I never read the book so i can't really compare it.I thought the opening scene though and If you have a chance check out the screenplay because I've read many and I've never read one written with the depth that A space odyssey was.It was novel like literature and directing it would've been a hell of a task.

I'd actually say I agree though.I think guys like Anderson,PTA,(Lynch and Tarantino are also a couple personal favorites but that's for another thread) are amazing technically , have a more refined vision for their projects and in general have a better knowledge and understanding of film and how you use the technical aspects to carry that vision across.

What distinguishes Nolan for me though, is his story telling.Nolan pushes the medium of film past its traditional boundaries and effectively stimulates the evolution of narrative.The rhythym of Memento was nothing short of an amazing achievement in stroy telling, I won't go as far as saying it was revolutionary, but it certainly pushed the limits of a often overused style confined it in a rhythm, that is unique, perplexing and intiguing.It's probably the accomplishment I most respect him for.

His method challeges the audience thoroughly, muchmore than can be said for many others.Sometimes I think he forgets his borders though, but it's a tough balancing act and one which most directors decide to ignore anyway.

@Twoism- Didn't rewatch Inception?

You should really watch the video THC posted lol, Inception was just a great great movie, whether or not he meant it to be , it was extrordinary.The color enhancements and the CGI plus the amazingly coordinated use of music are perhaps the most important things you can take away from it as a filmmaker, the acting wasn't amazing(Hardy was excellent tho)

Yeah, partly my fault since I'm very particular about dream movies. For a movie about dream, there is almost nothing dream like. I love moody piece, directors like Lynch, Cronenberg or Jim Jarmusch are master in term of setting up the moody atmosphere. Lynch movies leave me with unsettled feeling, uncertain & very insecure ( Eraserhead or Blue Velvet). I don't feel it in Nolan works, very polished, brilliant production values but somehow leave me empty.

Kubrick made movies as how he interpret, that's why his works though brilliant, are miles from their original source. The guy only wrote one original script. I feel later works he detached himself from human emotion, very cold and distant.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:42 am

I see what you're saying.

Nolan is too overdramatic......a tad too engaged in "the moment" to leave you with that sense.He puts it out there in a very loud eye catching manner...but even so, Inception actually did a bit more metaphorically than even I realised up until THC posted that vid.

I've been planning to watch some of Jamusch for a while now but never really got the chance.

Difference in taste I guess. Very Happy
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:15 pm

"Kubrick made movies as how he interpret, that's why his works though brilliant, are miles from their original source. The guy only wrote one original script. I feel later works he detached himself from human emotion, very cold and distant."

I don't mind most of his movies . ( Shining / Clockwork / Full Metal / Spartacus ). But with Space Odyssey, I think he bit off more than he can chew. If anything, that's a movie that he detached himself from human emotion - like you said.

The ending for Space Odyssey was always going to be hard to visualize and convey. Heck, even words confused the shit outta me the first time I read the ending. And one of my first thoughts was, "how the fk..could someone make a movie out of this"

So I watched Space Odyssey with little expectations. In the end, I was just pissed off because he dedicated , at the most, 20 minutes to the ending. Whereas he wasted so much time with those goddamn soundtracks ! In context, the conclusion held the meat of the story, and needed at least twice the duration that it actually lasted. So yeah, eventhough the soundtracks were well edited, and aptly conveyed the tranquil nature of infinite space..focusing on that as much Kubrick did, was absolutely unforgivable in the long run.

Sorry for going off topic, but I've rarely gotten the chance to vent at Kubrick Very Happy

I haven't watched many of Lynch/Cronenberg/Jamusch. I've had Blue Velvet / Eraserhead / Ghost Dog / History of Violence and Eastern promises on my harddrive for a while now. Probably going to watch the latter two real soon because of Vigo Mortensen. And the plot of Ghost Dog had fascinated me ever since I was a kid, so that would be next on my watchlist.

The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next