aleumdance
6unner
Highburied
urbaNRoots
EL Patron
REWB
16 posters

Go down

what is your opinion on song? Empty what is your opinion on song?

Post by REWB Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:44 pm

do you think he is the right DM as a starter to lead us to titles in the near future? he has been great this season offensively but defensively, he has been found wanting quit a few times. against man utd, the united midfield were just walking past him like he wasn't even there, he was just to slow to catch up with them. he cant handle fast, quick minded players, and that's my problem with him.

not knocking him because sometimes he has those great matches, and he has improved a lot from the player he used to be and I respect that, but for me i think he would be more suited for a team more like Chelsea, than an extremely offensive team like arsenal. i prefer a DM in the similar mould to flamini, pacey to cover ground quickly and quick minded...but hey that's just my opinion what do you guys think?
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

what is your opinion on song? Empty Re: what is your opinion on song?

Post by EL Patron Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:59 pm

He leaves our back four exposed all the time
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:01 pm

Our second best player this season.

I wouldn't change him with any other DM.

True story.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Koscielny is our second best player of the season IMO
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 pm

Song is really good, i mean really reallyyyyyyy gooood but suddenly in semi finals of CL he disappears and thats really costly.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:55 pm

I think that do to the lack of creativity in Ramsey, Artetta, Gibbs, Santos, Gervihno and walcot. Song is really being asked to play a slightly different position than he has in the past. Song is tied with RVP an Gervihno in assists while Artetta is really providing nothing. If we were to do anything with Song, I would say dump Artetta and bring Frimpong back as DM and have Song play a more advanced box to box or even makeshift CAM roll. That is unless we were to actually get a cam. Then we would have the option of either putting either Ramsey or Artetta on the bench.

Other than that, this year I would not put us in the class of an "extremely offensive team". This year we are more of a defensive team looking for the long ball breakaway. In previous years we kept the ball in the final third for the majority of our position constantly trying to break down a parked defense. This year we have been keeping the position deeper into our side of the field looking for a break away down the sides.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:39 am

honestly... I think he comes on when he wants too, but most times he rotates well with Arteta

is Ramsey I havea problem with this season
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:50 am

I remember watching the game against Fulham at Craven Cottage in 2005 when Alex Song played in midfield, I think his league debut for Arsenal, and he was horrendous. At fault for one of the goals we conceded and lost the ball every time.

Infamously, Paul Merson said on sky that he must come off at half-time, and was! Subbed at half-time. Wenger rarely does things like this, as we know.

I thought that day 'What have we bought here'. But then in 08-09 he came to life with some outstanding displays.

Loan to Charlton and African nations in 2008 did him world of good.

Now, he is a very good midfielder who can defend and attack and he is still only 24.

He can improve, of course. And must improve if he is to be considered amongst the best in the world in this position, but all the signs that he will are there.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:08 am

Song's perceived weaknesses as a defender are well document but we must bear in mind that this is most likely down to Wenger's instructions and not something he struggles with.

Wenger obviously instructs Song to get involved more in the attack and penetrate from deep with through balls. His high assists total this season is evidence enough of that.

In games where he's told to sit deep and protect the back four, he's always been excellent. Borussia Dortmund away, for example.

I rank him amongst the best defenisve midfielder currently out there. Of course he has weaknesses; he can be lathargic at times and has lapses of concentration, but I would not trade him for any other defensive midfielders and I believe him to be well suited to the system that we play.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:14 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:Song's perceived weaknesses as a defender are well document but we must bear in mind that this is most likely down to Wenger's instructions and not something he struggles with.

Wenger obviously instructs Song to get involved more in the attack and penetrate from deep with through balls. His high assists total this season is evidence enough of that.

In games where he's told to sit deep and protect the back four, he's always been excellent. Borussia Dortmund away, for example.

I rank him amongst the best defenisve midfielder currently out there. Of course he has weaknesses; he can be lathargic at times and has lapses of concentration, but I would not trade him for any other defensive midfielders and I believe him to be well suited to the system that we play.

this is why i feel song is more suited to a team like chelsea than arsenal, it looks as though wenger wants song to do some sort of box to box role but he is not that good at it imo. you need to be pacey and quick witted to play that position. he is amazing at just being a DM though but wenger only sometimes lets him play that role.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:13 am

For me he is the most valuable player in the team currently after RVP..
Yeah.. He is bit slow.. But he is strong unlike other Arsenal players.. And he may more fit into box to box type midfielder...
He is the only one making some defence splitting passes and good through balls.. And the important thing is that whenever he does it its a goal..
He will fare well when he plays with some1 like Arteta and Frimpong who also stays back.. So i think we can give him a higher role and play another true DM...
And i dont want to swap him now with any other dm in the world...
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:53 am

I do like song, he has a bit of directness to his through balls, probably learned from fabregas.
As a DM he is slow but strong and can win some aerial challenges not the best defensively but probably one of the best offensively.

I think he's superb vs the average/good teams but as soon as he faces the best clubs he suddenly becomes not good enough - I don't know why, maybe he's to slow or something or Wenger is asking too much from him.

Gemini
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:57 am

Yeah he might rampage forwards a few times, leaving space behind... but if he doesn't do it, who will? Arteta is too buzy running and maintaining possession, and Ramsey is too buzy backheeling it into the opposition. Isn't he our assist leader? A DM? Laughing

He's a beast, and I can't imagine him in a future with a real class midfield beside him that lets him sit back and relax more. If you think he's defensively lacking, then watch the Dortmund or Marseille CL matches.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Sushi Master wrote:Yeah he might rampage forwards a few times, leaving space behind... but if he doesn't do it, who will? Arteta is too buzy running and maintaining possession, and Ramsey is too buzy backheeling it into the opposition. Isn't he our assist leader? A DM? Laughing

He's a beast, and I can't imagine him in a future with a real class midfield beside him that lets him sit back and relax more. If you think he's defensively lacking, then watch the Dortmund or Marseille CL matches.

This.

:coffee:
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:11 pm

:lucas:
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:58 pm

Song's back must be in a lot of pain, because he's pretty much been carrying our midfield as a DM this season..

He leaves the back 4 exposed sometimes because in his role, he has to do just about EVERYTHING at this point. I'm not one to judge players solely on stats, but when you look at how many assists he has, it does say a lot.

Like others have said, I wouldn't trade him for any DM, or any midfielder for that matter. He just needs his support back, especiall Wilshere, we all miss him too much.
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Nishank wrote: :lucas:

No chance
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Emaharg Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:11 am

When Arteta was out no one was covering for Song when he went forward, while when he was going forward previously Arteta would sit back in his role and usually foul someone on a break. I think Ramsey and Rosicky need more awareness of when Song does push forward as he is our sort of Yaya Toure at times, he can give us a different dimension to our attack like Diaby did a stronger runner with the ball who can push off defenders.
Emaharg
Emaharg
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by SUPERCARTTS Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:45 am

Song is a nice guy- was fortunate to have the pleasure of meeting him once.

But honestly, Nigel De Jong would do a much better job than him DEFENSIVELY. However, what set both players apart, is the fact that Song chips in with a goal or two and a few assists, where as De Jong is the membrane around the back 4 when ever he plays.

You decide- what would you prefer?!
SUPERCARTTS
SUPERCARTTS
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:57 am

Samuelj29060 wrote:
Nishank wrote: :lucas:

No chance

:lucas:
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:00 am

his passing :bow: :bow: :bow:
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down