Yeezus
schwarzgelb
McLewis
Twoism
Le Samourai
31 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

The Official Indie/Alternative thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official Indie/Alternative thread.

Post by Sir Psycho Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Foster The People... in my eyes the best new band.

I saw this performance on SNL a few months back and this is performance is soooo (jizzed). And Kenny G appears at the end on top of that. The perfect cherry on top.

Sir Psycho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

The Official Indie/Alternative thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official Indie/Alternative thread.

Post by CBarca Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:00 am

...how are Arctic Monkeys indie? They're signed with EMI.
I don't classify Indie like that. I know that's how it's supposed to be classified, but I don't think anyone actually does that. The fact of the matter is, it's too much effort and memory spent memorizing what bands are Indie because of who they are signed with and what bands aren't Indie, I think it's more of a style now.

Modest Mouse, The Strokes, The Foals, The Shins all have more of that indie 'sound' to them. I think the strokes describe Indie absolutely perfectly.

Of course Indie is also VERY broad and one could describe a band like Of Montreal as Indie as well.

Me? I just say most non-popular, non electronic music is indie tbh
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:09 am

The problem with that definition is that you could classify most everything as indie, and indie bands of the past that don't conform to the current sound no longer fit the bill. It becomes too confusing and meaningless (since it's so broad) to do it this way, so indie should just stand for what it actually means: independent.

Either way, Arctic Monkeys are a fairly popular band so I don't think they particularly fit that criteria. I'd also say that electronic music can be indie, but not indie rock/pop.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:55 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:The problem with that definition is that you could classify most everything as indie, and indie bands of the past that don't conform to the current sound no longer fit the bill. It becomes too confusing and meaningless (since it's so broad) to do it this way, so indie should just stand for what it actually means: independent.

Either way, Arctic Monkeys are a fairly popular band so I don't think they particularly fit that criteria. I'd also say that electronic music can be indie, but not indie rock/pop.

Fair enough. People pay too much attention to genres anyway. Just think of it what you think of it.

I'll probably have a helluva lot of music in here that's not indie, but...it's good music, so who cares Very Happy

Personally I'll never classify Indie as independent though. Mostly cause I'm lazy. If I'm wrong because of it...so be it lol Smile

Can't post it now and fairly sure it's not Indie but Sigur Ros coming up next!!
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:10 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:The problem with that definition is that you could classify most everything as indie, and indie bands of the past that don't conform to the current sound no longer fit the bill. It becomes too confusing and meaningless (since it's so broad) to do it this way, so indie should just stand for what it actually means: independent.

That's the point.....they don't really truly conform to any particualr sound.Even where they try to like in indie pop and rock.....it isn't as generic as other stuff........basically what I want people to post is stuff that's sort've unique and distince + the conventional stuff like indie pop and rock.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:48 am

I wouldn't really classify The Cribs as indie but their song with Lee Ranaldo from Sonic Youth is just....phwoooaaarrr

The Cribs - Be Safe

These are some of my favorite live performances

Sorry to bring up The Strokes again (JK, i'm not sorry)
Best live performance ever? or best live performance ever?
Watch the start for some biblical improvisation from Fab and Nick

This good too. Feels like you're actually there

And Jamie T - The Man's Machine. Got this performance on my iPod, i've seen it so many times and I never get sick of it

Last edited by BiasedMilanFan3 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:16 am

Death Cab For Cutie........alot of songs other than this one.....probablt some better ones...but this is the song that comes to mind when I think of them.

@Biasedmilanfan3.............Maybe best indie live performer....but OT: Eminem is untouchable live.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:58 am

ragbirjosh wrote:Death Cab For Cutie........alot of songs other than this one.....probablt some better ones...but this is the song that comes to mind when I think of them.

@Biasedmilanfan3.............Maybe best indie live performer....but OT: Eminem is untouchable live.

Was Eminem just mentioned in the Official Indie/Alternative thread?

This thread is now too mainstream
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:17 am

a.Laughing banana

Here's some indie Rap by it's strict definition

banana

I will return the thread to equilibrium with some of the most independent music ever made........it's fusion rap/indie.....you guys will like it though.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Breaking Bad sent me here

Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Sigur Ros. Very peaceful, such a great band. Very distinct sound which I think you guys will like.

Best known perhaps for this song, which is the ending song for 127 hours- of which I can attribute my knowledge of this band to that song and movie.

CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:42 pm

CB have you watched Inni yet?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:48 am

I always knew Sigur Ros for Hoppipolla

I think I first heard it in a commercial and then I saw it in this Juninho Pernambucano video called "unsung hero" or something. Epic player. Epic song.

But that's all I know from them, really should listen to their other songs.
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:44 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:CB have you watched Inni yet?

Nope. I don't have or know a whole lot of their music yet. I'm still exploring Very Happy

And with that comes more knowledge about the band etc, but I never like to go full out onto a band and listen to them all the time, I like to mix and match with other bands and slowly listen to more of their music. Keeps it fresh and makes me appreciate it more. So I'm still fairly new to Sigur Ros as well haha Smile
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Sigur Ros you beat me to it Razz

Quality band .....got into them because someone compared them to Arcade Fire.......a solid comparison.......have a more distincly 90's esque sound than Arcade fire but you can see the roots of Arcade fire there.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:27 pm

I have not listened to The National but heard them recently from my brother, who came home from college. He's back now, though. Any 'Portal/Portal 2' fans might recognize this. Fantastic song. Should listen to more of them, thanks josh.

CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Indie song of 2011?

I think so

I don't know how they did overseas but this a four-piece Australian band called San Cisco and this is their breakthrough song "Awkward" which got some good airtime

Great song
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:05 pm

:bow:

Australian Ana kendrick :bow:

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:07 pm

And for all you sick perverts out there, her name is Scarlett Stevens
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:16 pm

BiasedMilanFan3 wrote:And for all you 16 year olds out there, her name is Scarlett Stevens

:coffee:
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 pm

How old are they? The song is pretty decent for a bunch of prepubescent kids.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Psycho Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:35 am

Magic!
Sir Psycho
Sir Psycho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:11 pm

http://www.birp.fm/playlists/2011/5692-birp-indie-playlist-best-songs-of-2011#stream

10 more posts to beat the electronic music guys banana
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Psycho Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Back when they were good.
Sir Psycho
Sir Psycho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:34 pm

Very Happy

Here's Peter Bjork and John......

one of the best songs this year and I'm really suprised it didn't get big overall....

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next