Yeezus
schwarzgelb
McLewis
Twoism
Le Samourai
31 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

The Official Indie/Alternative thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official Indie/Alternative thread.

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:00 pm

Arcade Fire are a great band
"Rebellion" is such an amazing song but "In the back seat" has to be my favourite of Arcade Fire's song.
fuuuuaaarrrrrkkkk. I love how the song just escalates up and up. The female singer did a really nice job in that song.

I used to love The Arctic Monkeys but I just feel they've changed a bit too much. Songs like Brianstorm and Fluorescent Adolescent is stuff I still like from them but after they're third album I just gave up on them

I'll give a list of my favourite bands and their songs

The Strokes - Hard to explain, Someday, 12:51, You only live once, Is this it?, Reptilia, I can't win, Taken for a fool, Modern girls and old fashioned men (a B-side song of theirs, performed with Regina Spektor, really good song)
Jamie T - Sticks n stones, The mans machine, Sheila, Spider's web, Operation, Pacemaker, Ike and tina, Alicia quays, Calm down dearest
The Libertines - Vertigo, Can't stand me now, What a waster, Music when the lights go out, What katie did, What became of the likely lads, Time for heroes
Anya Marina - Whatever you like, Move you, Waters of march, Cowboy, High on the ceiling
LCD Soundsystem - All my friends, Daft punk is playing at my house, Tribulations, Someone great, New york I love you but you're bringing me down
Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Cheated Hearts, Maps, Y-control, Gold lion, Zero, Runaway, Little shadow

All my friends by LCD Soundsystem was, in my opinion, the best song from 2000-2010 but Hard to explain by The Strokes is my favorite song of all time

BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

The Official Indie/Alternative thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official Indie/Alternative thread.

Post by Le Samourai Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:02 pm

I love In the Backseet dude......I've always thought it's been overlooked.,

Funeral was a god level album
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Random, Norwegian indie-band I discovered a few years ago. They're awesome live, and I couldn't find a non-live video, so here you have it Razz

Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Yuko - Belgian band, discovered them recently

Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:40 pm

So in seeking to capitalize on the popularity of the strokes to further the sucess of the thread......

Anyone care to explain why you like them or provide in depth/to heart analysis of their music and how it makes you feel?

do so for any of your favourite bands/artists
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Are radiohead still indie? They're like the greatest band ever...
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:31 pm

Alternative/electro.....but for the purposes of this thread they can be considered Indie.......interested in answering the question? Very Happy
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:30 pm

Ok So I'll go first here

Their songs make prominent use of violin, accordion, hurdy gurdy, and other instruments not typically found in the ass-kicking rock 'n' roller's arsenal.This is something I really, appreciate, as a big fan of classical music, honestly by force, to see a modern rock band departing from the conventional heavy bass and disturbingly intense guitar solos is as refreshing as it gets.It's also the reason that I've appreciated Coldplay's attempts to diversify with new instruments, but they have still not arrived at the astonishing level of Musical diversity provided by Arcade Fire and their unique exploitation of every ounce of energy and soul contained in each instrument they use.

"Intervention" is typical, opening with a portentous pipe organ blast and skyrocketing to a ridiculously grand series of crescendos. The lyrics deal with equally large themes: religion, love, war, death. Butler sings: "Working for the church while your life falls apart/ Singing hallelujah with the fear in your heart/ Every spark of friendship and love will die without a home/ Hear the solider groan, 'We'll go at it alone"

While this quotes describes one song Intervention.....it can be applied to basically all of their songs.Thematicallly their rare resoursefulness in depicting the poignantly squeezing deep thematic issues through anecdotal or poetic lyrics is honestly what first caught my ear.I first listened to "Funneral" on a trip to the beach while on vacation and the deep nostalgia and homesickness it evoked within me was sensational.They remain so ambiguous that the music can touch anyone....anyone can associate with them.....their ability to bring about an amazng sentimentality and wistfulness with dense words is beautiful.As a big fan of the romantic literary era.....I see them as modern day Romantics....who ddeply internalize everyday event and my love for them has led me to do the same,

Arcade Fire is by far the most original semi popular artist playing today. As others have said they play with so much passion and I really think that is because their music means a lot to them. Read their lyrics and there is some pretty heavy stuff, especially on Funeral.

Simultaneously they are immensely talented musicians, their sound is about as diverse and rare as you can get with today's artists yet you can hear the influences and undertones from other artists, their albums are great concept albums with a specific theme that resonates with the listener, and their sound is complex and multilayered with subtleness you hear revealed with each repeated listening.

I came across some time ago.It's an interview with two members of the band

Win: “We met in the school cafeteria. A week later I went to see her singing jazz. It was immediately obvious to me that she was a real singer. I even left before she was done. I didn’t need to see the rest; it was so obvious we needed to play together.”

Régine: “I remember he came one night to hear me sing, but he left before it was over — I thought he didn’t like it! And when I saw him later, I asked what he played, and when he said, ‘Oh, some guitar, a little piano,’ I thought: Bo-ring! Everyone plays a little guitar and piano! But right away, I was struck by the maturity of his songs. This was not just some dude noodling around on his guitar trying to impress me.”

Win: “We were coming from such different worlds, but when I played my stuff for her, right away she had ideas — for accordion, for all this weird medieval stuff.”

Régine: “I was from another planet. I didn’t even know what an ‘indie’ band was — it sounded so vague and mysterious. But Win wrote really good, catchy melodies (though with fairly typical chord changes, I thought), and right away I had all these ideas I wanted him to try: strange progressions, beats, instruments. And: enough with the acoustic guitar

It dosen't really fit with the rest of my post except for me to tell you that I've actually had similar experiences.I don't play the guitar or the Violin...but I actually play the steel pan and have been attempting to somehow fit it into indie bands unsuccesfully for a while now.I dream of a moment like to find a collaborator like this who makes everything click.

Very Happy

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:33 pm

Also.....music is subjective....I don't expect everyone to like Arcade Fire....but if you have a band like Arcade fire share your thoughts......
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:22 am

Two Door Cinema Club.They had an amazing debut album......it's a good download...very fast paced very catchy.

@Andres Iniesta. Listen to the videos. Very Happy
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by matpol Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:35 pm

This thread is world class and ragbirjosh is world class poster.

I prefer to use Alternative rock term instead of indie. Alternative rock sounds great, indie sounds good, but not great Razz

Back to meritum, Two Door Cinema Club is good band, I like them a lot.

R.E.M. is the best alternative rock band IMO, followed closely by Radiohead. From new generation The Strokes by a miles.

Two Weezer good videos:

Elisha Cuthbert :bow:

I don't rate Weezer that highly, but those two songs are very good.
matpol
matpol
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:05 pm

@Matpol......Alternative a sub group which many indie bands fall under.....indie stands for independent......but it's split across many genres.....pop and rock being the most permanent.

cheers dude....

Although I'm trying to lure people into the thread every way possible hmm
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:56 pm

REM just broke up I think

Anyways, if you like 60 & 70 sound

Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:35 pm

The Lovely Feathers Very Happy

Not the best version of this song, but....oh well. Only one I could find.

IGNORE THE VIDEO IT SUCKS[b][u]
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:02 pm

<--- a classic!

<--- Pre Mars Volta (ATDI)

^ post at the drive-in (Sparta)

"Rooney" might not be indie anymore, for all I know. I'm throwing them in there, anyway Smile

Last edited by Thimmy on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Thimmy you seem like a big music guy...whose your favourite band?

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:21 pm

ragbirjosh wrote:Thimmy you seem like a big music guy...whose your favourite band?

Ummm... let's see

Are radiohead still indie? They're like the greatest band ever...

I'm guessing it's radiohead. Not 100% sure, but... Very Happy That's just 1 page back, and you responded to it too lol. Radiohead is personally my favorite.

ANYWAY

Not sure Of Montreal count as Indie but I'm putting them in here because well, they aren't well known and they should be cause they are AMAZING.

CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:52 pm

ragbirjosh wrote:Thimmy you seem like a big music guy...whose your favourite band?

Radiohead is probably my favourite band of all time. It's hard to pick just one, though. I'm surprised that Juberish hasn't posted in this thread, yet.. that guy knows a lot of great indie/alt rock bands, it seems.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:37 pm

...how are Arctic Monkeys indie? They're signed with EMI.

I used to be really into indie music back in HS and early college years, but I haven't really looked up anything new for the past 2 years. So a classic:

Cbarca I've seen Of Montreal 3 years ago and have tickets for their next showing in Boston Very Happy
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:38 am

Indie rock is a genre of alternative rock that originated in the United Kingdom and the United States in the 1980s. Indie rock is extremely diverse, with sub-genres that include indie pop, grunge, jangle pop, C86, and lo-fi, among others. Originally used to describe record labels, the term became associated with the music they produced and was initially used interchangeably with alternative rock. As grunge and punk revival bands in the US, and then Britpop bands in the UK, broke into the mainstream in the 1990s, it came to be used to identify those acts that retained an outsider and underground and less testosterone-driven perspective. In the 2000s, as a result of changes in the music industry and the growing importance of the Internet, a number of indie rock acts began to enjoy commercial success, leading to questions about its meaningfulness as a term.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:41 am

Modest Mouse : The original indie band....the source of inspiration for many later artists.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Alot of you may Know this one it was on the OC...but this is a quality song.....seeing as I used to live there it always brings me some Nostalgia.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:54 pm

Cbarca I've seen Of Montreal 3 years ago and have tickets for their next showing in Boston Very Happy

Dude, you MUST tell me how that goes. That sounds awesome. They're so great. Morpheus was the only person I knew who was an Of Montreal fan, good to see another.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Last time I went was pretty fun. It was someone's birthday, I forget who, and they passed around a cake around the crowd, but only the craziest of us actually took a slice Razz
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:54 pm

I have't been a huge fan of Modest Mouse but 'Float on' is a fantastic song

And in regards to Radiohead, 'No surprises' is the s**t!
Love that song

Also, The Kooks, I never really liked them. I always thought of them as the Justin Bieber of Indie. But my brother, who is a HUGE indie music guy, told me that the members of The Kooks all met at acting school and made a band just for the look.
I HATE THEM NOW
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Psycho Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Foster The People... in my eyes the best new band.

I saw this performance on SNL a few months back and this is performance is soooo (jizzed). And Kenny G appears at the end on top of that. The perfect cherry on top.
Sir Psycho
Sir Psycho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next