Agree or Disagree: Religion is needed to be a morally just person [or act as one].

+24
The_ItalianFool
The Messiah
mr-r34
Fenris
Iceman
fatman123
Babun
anirudhkitt
Yuri Yukuv
MJ
BarrileteCosmico
CBarca
El Chelsea Fuerte
Raptorgunner
RealGunner
RedOranje
VivaStPauli
Senor Penguin
7amood11
Noonan22
FC_Hollywood
che
beatrixasdfghjk.
JuvenelCuore
28 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Agree or Disagree: Religion is needed to be a morally just person [or act as one]. - Page 3 Empty Re: Agree or Disagree: Religion is needed to be a morally just person [or act as one].

Post by Fenris Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Yes, but to think anyone's actions are purely altruistic is a misleading line of thought.

Fenris
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Agree or Disagree: Religion is needed to be a morally just person [or act as one]. - Page 3 Empty Re: Agree or Disagree: Religion is needed to be a morally just person [or act as one].

Post by mr-r34 Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:20 pm

fatman123 wrote:
beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:Are you saying that agnostic/atheist righteousness is better than religious righteousness?
depending on intention of course
agnostic /athiest doing the right thing because its the right thing to do >>>>>>>>>> religous person doing the right thing because theyre scared of their god or they want some sort of reward in the afterlife

agnostic /athiest doing the right thing because its the right thing to do=religous person doing the right thing because its the right thing to do

religous person doing the right thing because theyre scared of their god or they want some sort of reward in the afterlife >>>>> agnostic/athiest doing the wrong thing

Could it not be possible a non religous person does it on the fear of being punished by society? Whats the diffrence between fear from society and god?
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:47 pm

mr-r34 wrote:
Could it not be possible a non religous person does it on the fear of being punished by society? Whats the diffrence between fear from society and god?

Very good point. I think 'righteous atheists' would be more moralistic in a social environment, there's not a big difference between fear of rejection and punishment from society and God for a non-religious person and religious person respectively.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by che Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:17 pm

mr-r34 wrote:

society exists :coffee:

and i imagine "people are going to not like me if i do x" and "i'm going to burn in hell for eternity if i do x" are quite different states of mind

point is, fear of reproach from society is smaller than a religious person's fear of god's wrath (i imagine)

though generally i agree, we don't do immoral stuff because we'd get punished by the society in one way or another because people evolved in a social setting where they depended on each other
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:So if Morals were present before Religions, why is it your view that Religion instilled those Morals? I just don't quite follow your logic there.

Especially since your example sort of underlines how Religion really isn't needed to tell right from wrong - especially when you consider that there's such a thing as secular moral philosophy that can answer questions of Morals and Ethics with reason, and sound arguments, instead of faith.

I don't mind if Religion keeps a couple of savages from murdering each other, I just think we can move past that and evolve our Morals and Ethics to better suit the world we live in. Like not condemning everyone who deviates from what is considered "normal". Why condemn homosexuals for example? They don't hurt anyone.

In fact, as a heterosexual male I greatly endorse other men being gay, as not to compete with me about desirable females. Go gay, and go gay hard, mates. You make delicious deserts, clean up the neighbourhoods and don't take my chicks. Bravo, bravo!
And Lesbians? Hooooooot if lipstick lesbians, wouldn't have hit that anyway if not.

All for it.

So suck it, old testament.

At least Protestantism shows you that Religion can evolve as well, but on a whole it tends to lack behind the actual social changes, as seen in the US where the Republicans are crippled by fundamentalist nutjobs, or the entire Middle East which was far ahead of the West scientifically until maybe up to the Renaissance, when a couple of hardliners plunged the entire region into some kind of Middle Ages caricature.

I don't necessarily think Religion is always bad, I just think that we have better tools to answer lifes questions nowadays. And they're enlightenment, science, reason and secular philosophy. Power to people and nature, not your imaginary big brother.

Now I see the reasons behind your views, it is in Human nature to prefer views that favour them.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:38 am

7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:Disagree.
Plenty of atheists and agnostics do just fine without religion: most people have ethics.

And then to provide an extreme example, you still get like those whacko religious terrorists who kill people because they think they'll end up with lots of women in their heaven or something, which is just ... :facepalm:

So no.

Good point. I had not even considered the opposite; religion can, in Islamic cases anyway, cause people to act immoral, albeit very few percentages of any religious group are fundamentalist in that they take word for word what is in their scripture. I doubt they would have done it had they not had a religious force telling them what to do.

Well played my friend. :coffee:

Just saying, in no way does Islam endorse terrorism.

Here we go again...thanks for not adding to the discussion. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:40 am

JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
Plenty of atheists and agnostics do just fine without religion: most people have ethics.

And then to provide an extreme example, you still get like those whacko religious terrorists who kill people because they think they'll end up with lots of women in their heaven or something, which is just ... :facepalm:

So no.

Good point. I had not even considered the opposite; religion can, in Islamic cases anyway, cause people to act immoral, albeit very few percentages of any religious group are fundamentalist in that they take word for word what is in their scripture. I doubt they would have done it had they not had a religious force telling them what to do.

No, don't get me wrong, I have no intention to start such a discussion. Was just saying that those "Muslims" who do such things are a disgrace and a misrepresentation. That's all.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:34 pm

7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:

So no.

No, don't get me wrong, I have no intention to start such a discussion. Was just saying that those "Muslims" who do such things are a disgrace and a misrepresentation. That's all.

Yes, but they are fundamentalists of the religion, whether or not what they do is acceptable is another story. Obviously nobody would endorse terrorism. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:41 pm

che wrote:
mr-r34 wrote:

society exists :coffee:

and i imagine "people are going to not like me if i do x" and "i'm going to burn in hell for eternity if i do x" are quite different states of mind

point is, fear of reproach from society is smaller than a religious person's fear of god's wrath (i imagine)

though generally i agree, we don't do immoral stuff because we'd get punished by the society in one way or another because people evolved in a social setting where they depended on each other

Not just that aswell, you can also include, prison and punishment in that way, people would commit many small thefts if they knew the law wasn't there, they don't just not do it cause its wrong, it's cause they value their ass hole virginity as well.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:55 pm

JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:

So no.

Yes, but they are fundamentalists of the religion, whether or not what they do is acceptable is another story. Obviously nobody would endorse terrorism. :coffee:

Yup there are fundamentalists of the religion, I did not deny that. But to do what they do, you'd have to overlook a whole lot of basic things mentioned in Islam
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:09 pm

7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:

So no.

Yup there are fundamentalists of the religion, I did not deny that. But to do what they do, you'd have to overlook a whole lot of basic things mentioned in Islam

But you would also have to look toward a lot of basic things mentioned in Islam. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:18 pm

JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:

So no.

But you would also have to look toward a lot of basic things mentioned in Islam. :coffee:

No you don't, please stop making baseless assumptions.

Most ridiculous thing I've heard all day. silent
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:59 am

7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:

So no.

My Philosophy teacher would disagree. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:03 am

JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:

So no.

Just because a teacher says something or has a view about something doesn't make it correct.
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:06 am

Do you follow me around or something ?

This thread is not about Islam, it is about morality. If Momo had not gotten so defensive, nothing would have started. I never said Islam encouraged its followers to commit acts of terrorism because quite frankly that is absurd. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:11 am

JuvenelCuore wrote:Do you follow me around or something ?

This thread is not about Islam, it is about morality. If Momo had not gotten so defensive, nothing would have started. I never said Islam encouraged its followers to commit acts of terrorism because quite frankly that is absurd. :coffee:

nope, i just read a lot and i feel the need to answer your posts sometimes.
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:12 am

The_ItalianFool wrote:

Do you run my fan club too ? :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:12 am

JuvenelCuore wrote:
The_ItalianFool wrote:

Na I'm not a member of the TFC
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:24 am

The_ItalianFool wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
The_ItalianFool wrote:

Na I'm not a member of the TFC

Toronto Football Club ? Too bad, they are pretty popular here. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:52 am

JuvenelCuore wrote:

You cannot say things like this without backing it up. Same goes for 7amood too actually...
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Yeah, I admit I got a bit defensive, but only because I thought it was necessary at the time. Islam condoning terrorist acts is a huge misconception, that's all there is to it.

@kiranr: Yes, I have more than enough to support my statement.

Now let's get back on topic. bounce
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:16 pm

7amood11 wrote:

Yeah, I admit I got a bit defensive, but only because I thought it was necessary at the time. Islam condoning terrorist acts is a huge misconception, that's all there is to it.

@kiranr: Yes, I have more than enough to support my statement.

Now let's get back on topic. bounce

Nobody said it was condoned, simply that it was Islamic fundamentalists. This could mean that they misinterpreted it, not necessarily that it was right or relevant. :coffee:
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyzar Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:31 pm

JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:

So no.

JNC, your attacks on Islam are uncalled for and unwarranted, your assumptions are baseless and built on absolute lies.

Islam is a religion of peace, the name ''Islam'' comes from the Arabic word ''Salaamah'' which means peace, if anything, the other religions have caused more havoc and terror than Islam, Chengis Khan was not a Muslim, Hitler(Christian) was not a muslim, the state of Israel which everyday commits genocide is not a Muslim state.

Therefore, keep your baseless assumptions to yourself, don't go about insulting the good name of the Islamic religion :coffee:

Last edited by Keyzar on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keyzar
Keyzar
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyzar Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:32 pm

JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:
7amood11 wrote:
JuvenelCuore wrote:

So no.

JNC, your attacks on Islam is uncalled for and unwarranted, your assumptions are baseless and built on absolute lies.

Islam is a religion of peace, the name ''Islam'' comes from the Arabic word ''Salaamah'' which means peace, if anything, the other religions have caused more havoc and terror than Islam, Chengis Khan was not a Muslim, Hitler(Christian) was not a muslim, the state of Israel which everyday commits genocide against the Palestinians, is not a Muslim state.

Therefore, keep your baseless assumptions to yourself, don't go about insulting the good name of the Islamic religion :coffee:
Keyzar
Keyzar
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Please start editing out the middle quotes or start a new train for the conversation.

Also, every religion and belief system has the ability to inspire immoral acts in it's name. That does not mean said belief system endorses such acts.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyzar Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Nothing needs to be edited out, i just quoted what he wrote, what he wrote can not be justified, it is a blatant attack on my religion.

And for your information RedOrange, no religion can inspire immoral acts, instead, religions are there to inspire and guide mankind, atleast i can speak for my religion, that is ISLAM.

Furthermore, no one should expect one to be calm and say nothing when one's religion is attacked blatantly and without a reason, like what JNC did here, i for one will not sit back and watch as my religion is disgraced for fun, i will RESPOND accordingly.

This is a religion we are talking about, not a football club.
Keyzar
Keyzar
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next