Off Topic : How Highly Do You Rate Rafael van der Vaart?

5 posters

Go down

Off Topic : How Highly Do You Rate Rafael van der Vaart? Empty Off Topic : How Highly Do You Rate Rafael van der Vaart?

Post by messixaviesta Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:41 pm

He is painfully slow. This means that he cannot play on the wings and becomes a liability when his team is chasing the game and/or really going for it. His lack of defensive qualities means he cannot play deeper. He cannot dribble much. His off the ball movement isn't good. He keeps moving in straight lines to the extent that at times some of the action passes him by. His long passing isn't all that impressive and neither is his long range shooting. What he has going for him are nice touches on the ball, more than decent final passing, good goal scoring and more than decent set pieces. Do you think that is enough to start for a top team? In recent times although he is still starting for Tottenham who are not really a top team anyway, he seems to be the first player to come off. I expect him to start complaining in the media very soon about how badly he is being treated just like he did with his rants related to Real Madrid and the Dutch national team. Isn't it time that he stops complaining and takes an honest look at his own limitations as being the reason why he hasn't managed to excel at a top club or even near top club and has not become a default starter for his national team?

What do you all think? I really want to know your views about this.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Off Topic : How Highly Do You Rate Rafael van der Vaart? Empty Re: Off Topic : How Highly Do You Rate Rafael van der Vaart?

Post by billy_gr Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Good one...
I'm always a little bit biased towards Dutch players, however I think I can be objective with Raphael.

Technically he is a very gifted player, although I think he cannot handle pressure on the highest level. Being great for Spurs and seemingly invisible for Madrid somewhat shows that.

Overall I wouldn't put him in Sneijder's level but not too far below either
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Off Topic : How Highly Do You Rate Rafael van der Vaart? Empty Re: Off Topic : How Highly Do You Rate Rafael van der Vaart?

Post by free_cat Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:53 pm

messixaviesta wrote:He is painfully slow. This means that he cannot play on the wings and becomes a liability when his team is chasing the game and/or really going for it. His lack of defensive qualities means he cannot play deeper. He cannot dribble much. His off the ball movement isn't good. He keeps moving in straight lines to the extent that at times some of the action passes him by. His long passing isn't all that impressive and neither is his long range shooting. What he has going for him are nice touches on the ball, more than decent final passing, good goal scoring and more than decent set pieces. Do you think that is enough to start for a top team? In recent times although he is still starting for Tottenham who are not really a top team anyway, he seems to be the first player to come off. I expect him to start complaining in the media very soon about how badly he is being treated just like he did with his rants related to Real Madrid and the Dutch national team. Isn't it time that he stops complaining and takes an honest look at his own limitations as being the reason why he hasn't managed to excel at a top club or even near top club and has not become a default starter for his national team?

What do you all think? I really want to know your views about this.

I don't rate him very highly, mainly because he is a midfielder with not many midifielder qualities. He is not really good at passing, keeping ball, tackling, positioning etc. In reality, he is a striker that plays as a midfielder. But I think his long shot is quite good and I don't think he is that slow, no?
Obviously not good enough for Madrid, but Tottenham are lucky to have him, as he could easily be playing in "bigger" clubs like Milan, Juve or other english clubs.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:39 pm

He was average against Newcastle, mind you so was Modric, Parker and Bale....

Never rated him as an AM but he is a quality SS and great movement in the box and clinical finisher.....

Reminds me of Lampard in alot of ways but i think Lampard while not being as technically gifted is a better overall player.....
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think we all agree that he is actually a second striker.

billy, good point about him not being able to handle pressure. Also Sneijder is a better player no question.

cat, maybe his long shot is good. Since he is playing close to goal I see him take shots from a reasonable distance rather than an audacious long one and he does that well. Also perhaps he is not as slow as my comment made it sound but he is such a liability when the team is chasing a game. See how in more than one game Spurs were able to run and fight better after he came off.

mole, your favorite Tiote was immense that day. Also good point that his movement in the box is good. That's the movement of a striker. The movement as a midfielder in terms of being able to contribute to general play is just not good. Also I completely agree that Lampard is the better player - mentally stronger and more consistent.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:18 pm

messixaviesta wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

billy, good point about him not being able to handle pressure. Also Sneijder is a better player no question.

cat, maybe his long shot is good. Since he is playing close to goal I see him take shots from a reasonable distance rather than an audacious long one and he does that well. Also perhaps he is not as slow as my comment made it sound but he is such a liability when the team is chasing a game. See how in more than one game Spurs were able to run and fight better after he came off.

mole, your favorite Tiote was immense that day. Also good point that his movement in the box is good. That's the movement of a striker. The movement as a midfielder in terms of being able to contribute to general play is just not good. Also I completely agree that Lampard is the better player - mentally stronger and more consistent.

He usually is, that's why i will find it interesting how we do without him when he goes away for the African cup of Nations.......

Another player who Van der Vaart reminds me of is Fabregas he too has the movement of a striker and doesnt seem to have the movement of a midfielder....

There's quite a few AM these days that are similar that they are actually strikers playing in a midfielders position, Kaka in his prime was a fine example of this....

Nothing wrong with this ofcourse but its interesting to note none the less.....
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:09 am

Very interesting comments mole.

The comparison with Fabregas is interesting. However Fabregas is not as limited as VDV. Fabregas can definitely help the team chase a game when he needs to. He can definitely start in a deeper position and move forward as and when needed. He is a better long passer. Fabregas can play the one-twos more smartly and slickly. Yes his off the ball movement isn't as good as that of Xaviesta and for that matter even that of Ozil or D.Silva but he will likely improve in that aspect very soon.

Now as for VDV best being second striker, I agree. However in the modern game you need your second striker to be faster and be able to run quite a lot both within and to some extent outside the box. This is something VDV just cannot do. You mention Kaka. Kaka had both greater speed and greater skill to get past players than what VDV has.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Superstone Mariomintsch Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:
messixaviesta wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

He usually is, that's why i will find it interesting how we do without him when he goes away for the African cup of Nations.......

Another player who Van der Vaart reminds me of is Fabregas he too has the movement of a striker and doesnt seem to have the movement of a midfielder....

There's quite a few AM these days that are similar that they are actually strikers playing in a midfielders position, Kaka in his prime was a fine example of this....

Nothing wrong with this ofcourse but its interesting to note none the less.....

Not quite on topic on the off-topic topic, but I can't help but notice VdV and Fab are really similar, even their looks and postures look similar in some angles, maybe they are the same person but distinguish himself as two with haircolor spray and using different foot? Come to think of it, they never play at the same time, aaarghm, World Cup final!!! They are twins then drinking
Superstone Mariomintsch
Superstone Mariomintsch
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Dortmund

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Superstone Mariomintsch wrote:
Not quite on topic on the off-topic topic, but I can't help but notice VdV and Fab are really similar, even their looks and postures look similar in some angles, maybe they are the same person but distinguish himself as two with haircolor spray and using different foot? Come to think of it, they never play at the same time, aaarghm, World Cup final!!! They are twins then drinking

Good one man. You have some sense of humor. Very Happy

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down