Swanhends
S
Dnmac4
Lex
Mr Nick09
31 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

A staggering fact: no EPL club in UCL qf - Page 2 Empty Re: A staggering fact: no EPL club in UCL qf

Post by Stormer77 Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:20 pm

izzy wrote:English media say EPL is the best, but no one takes them seriously

FACT. Only brainwashed kids do,like a bunch of 7 year old John Cena fans

Stormer77
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

A staggering fact: no EPL club in UCL qf - Page 2 Empty Re: A staggering fact: no EPL club in UCL qf

Post by Lex Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:22 pm

Oh God, he's pulling the John Cena card :facepalm:
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stormer77 Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Lex wrote:Oh God, he's pulling the John Cena card :facepalm:

hahaha.Hey,I coach football,1 of my teams are 7 year olds,I know what makes then tick

Stormer77
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Stormer77 wrote:

What I mean is, many football fans know the quality other teams on the continent posses.
Just because the media say one thing, doesn't mean the whole country go along with it.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Stormer77 Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:25 pm

So where are all the EPL fan boys running to defend the league of a country who haven't won an international trophy since 1966

Stormer77
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Swanhends wrote:
Dnmac4 wrote:I think it's been showing more and more often over the last 5 years or so that the EPL style of football doesn't really work anymore in the CL as no other league plays the fast, physical, don't worry about possession football there used to.

Tough to support that argument, really

2012: Chelsea win CL
2011: Man Utd in the final, Spurs and Chelsea in QF (Most QF teams of any country)
2010: ManU and Arsenal in the QF (Tied with France for most QF teams)
2009: 4 teams in the QF (double what the next country had) 3/4 Semifinal teams, ManU in the final

You say its been showing more and more over the last 5 years that EPL style doesn't work in the CL...but overall EPL has probably been the most successful league in that competition over that period of time

Well over the last 5 years La Liga has been the most successful league in the CL without a doubt. They have won it twice.

And you are picking and choosing statistics to try and prove your point instead of looking at the body of evidence.

2012-2013- 0 EPL teams make the last 8. Again for the second year running EPL's Champion get's knocked out in the group stages.

2011-2012- 1 EPL team makes the last 8. Chelsea wins although no one thinks they are the best team in Europe and rode a wave of good luck. Take nothing away from them but again the played a very non Chelsea like game to accomplish what they did. You never see them play like that in the EPL.

The top 2 team in the EPL are knocked out in the GROUP STAGE the 1st place EPL team to a group consisting of Basel, Otelul Galati, and Benefica.

2010-2011- A great year for the EPL, 3 teams in the last 8. Spurs get humiliated by Madrid 5-0, and the EPL get's unlucky by having Chelsea and Man U play each other. Man U get's a sound beating in the finals.

2009-2010- 2 teams in the last 8, 0 teams in the final 4. No threat to challenge for the title.

2008-2009- Last dominate year for the EPL in the Champions League. Minus one of the greatest club teams in the history of football in Barcelona the EPL dominated the tournament.

4 teams in the final 8, 3 in the final 4, and Man U get's beaten soundly by an all time great team.

So as I said in my original statement, "more and more over the last 5 years (which is a time frame not a snap shot) the EPL style of play doesn't really work anymore."

I think that's proven out. The only winner in that time totally changes the way they played in the league to win it. and if you look at the previous couple years leading up to 2008-2009 the EPL was much more effective in the CL. Champions were not getting knocked out in group stages.

And if you look over the time it's trending the way I said it was from 3 teams in the final 4, 0 teams in the final 4, 1 team in the final 4, 1 team in the final 8 (won the tourney, EPL champions knocked out in group stage), and 0 teams in the final 8 (champion knocked out in group stages.

An easier way to see it.

2008-2009- 3 teams final 4

2009-2010- 0 teams final 4

2010-2011- 1 team final 4

2011-2012- 1 team last 8/ 1 team final 4 (EPL Champion) (EPL champions out in group stages)

2012-2013- 0 EPL teams in the Last 8/0 in final 4 (EPL champion out in group stages)

I think what I said was pretty fair.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Stormer77 wrote:

You seem pretty convinced about what the media says, take it quite seriously too hmm otherwise..............why so serious?
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stormer77 Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Lex wrote:
Stormer77 wrote:

You seem pretty convinced about what the media says, take it quite seriously too hmm otherwise..............why so serious?

No no,just love a banter with EPL fan-boys

Stormer77
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:35 pm

lmao

Where do you coach btw ?

and John Cena >>>>>>
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Stormer77 Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Dnmac4 wrote:
Swanhends wrote:
Dnmac4 wrote:I think it's been showing more and more often over the last 5 years or so that the EPL style of football doesn't really work anymore in the CL as no other league plays the fast, physical, don't worry about possession football there used to.

Tough to support that argument, really

2012: Chelsea win CL
2011: Man Utd in the final, Spurs and Chelsea in QF (Most QF teams of any country)
2010: ManU and Arsenal in the QF (Tied with France for most QF teams)
2009: 4 teams in the QF (double what the next country had) 3/4 Semifinal teams, ManU in the final

You say its been showing more and more over the last 5 years that EPL style doesn't work in the CL...but overall EPL has probably been the most successful league in that competition over that period of time

Well over the last 5 years La Liga has been the most successful league in the CL without a doubt. They have won it twice.

And you are picking and choosing statistics to try and prove your point instead of looking at the body of evidence.

2012-2013- 0 EPL teams make the last 8. Again for the second year running EPL's Champion get's knocked out in the group stages.

2011-2012- 1 EPL team makes the last 8. Chelsea wins although no one thinks they are the best team in Europe and rode a wave of good luck. Take nothing away from them but again the played a very non Chelsea like game to accomplish what they did. You never see them play like that in the EPL.

The top 2 team in the EPL are knocked out in the GROUP STAGE the 1st place EPL team to a group consisting of Basel, Otelul Galati, and Benefica.

2010-2011- A great year for the EPL, 3 teams in the last 8. Spurs get humiliated by Madrid 5-0, and the EPL get's unlucky by having Chelsea and Man U play each other. Man U get's a sound beating in the finals.

2009-2010- 2 teams in the last 8, 0 teams in the final 4. No threat to challenge for the title.

2008-2009- Last dominate year for the EPL in the Champions League. Minus one of the greatest club teams in the history of football in Barcelona the EPL dominated the tournament.

4 teams in the final 8, 3 in the final 4, and Man U get's beaten soundly by an all time great team.

So as I said in my original statement, "more and more over the last 5 years (which is a time frame not a snap shot) the EPL style of play doesn't really work anymore."

I think that's proven out. The only winner in that time totally changes the way they played in the league to win it. and if you look at the previous couple years leading up to 2008-2009 the EPL was much more effective in the CL. Champions were not getting knocked out in group stages.

And if you look over the time it's trending the way I said it was from 3 teams in the final 4, 0 teams in the final 4, 1 team in the final 4, 1 team in the final 8 (won the tourney, EPL champions knocked out in group stage), and 0 teams in the final 8 (champion knocked out in group stages.

An easier way to see it.

2008-2009- 3 teams final 4

2009-2010- 0 teams final 4

2010-2011- 1 team final 4

2011-2012- 1 team last 8/ 1 team final 4 (EPL Champion) (EPL champions out in group stages)

2012-2013- 0 EPL teams in the Last 8/0 in final 4 (EPL champion out in group stages)

I think what I said was pretty fair.

Fair enough,BUT teams beaten in the QF or SF are hollow stats,no one will remember them in 10 -15 years time.

Stormer77
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Stormer77 Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:39 pm

RealGunner wrote:lmao

Where do you coach btw ?

and John Cena >>>>>>

Pretoria,South Africa. I start Thursday at another club,University of Pretoria,the senior team play in the main national domestic league.Its the club who produced Bongani Khumalo(Spurs,Reading,PAOK)

Stormer77
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by abetelle Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Stormer77 wrote:Lets cut the crap.The World Cup is the benchmark,not having QF'ists in the CL.This idea of the CL being the barometer was built by the English media when they failed to qualify for Euro 2008.

But, outside of maybe the top 10 national teams, the CL clubs of the last 16 are probably better than the rest of the national teams.

abetelle
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Levante

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:34 pm

abetelle wrote:
Stormer77 wrote:Lets cut the crap.The World Cup is the benchmark,not having QF'ists in the CL.This idea of the CL being the barometer was built by the English media when they failed to qualify for Euro 2008.

But, outside of maybe the top 10 national teams, the CL clubs of the last 16 are probably better than the rest of the national teams.

Completely agreed. In many respects club football > international. The WC is still the most prestigious, but that's only because it has a wider reach and it's harder to win since it's every 4 years.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Stormer77 Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:49 pm

you can buy the champions league,but not a world cup. A team of 4 Brazilians,3 Argentineans,2 Uruguayans and a player from Vatican City can win a CL for a club from Latvia,Lithuania,Bosnia or Kosovo,who went to bed with a wealthy foreigner

Stormer77
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:18 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Doesn't really have any implications for league quality. In Mou's words, there should be an English team in QF. Had Real and Barca not made it, as it probably should've happened, would that mean that la liga is suddenly sh*t and that the la liga way of playing is not suited for the CL?

Also this ridiculous notion that all EPL clubs play alike needs to stop. This is not the 90s.
From the first page, but this deserves a re-quote :coffee:
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:14 pm

i think a lot of it has to do with the same reason why la liga teams outside of barca and real rarely qualify to the quarter finals. inexperience in knockout stages.

united were unlucky to draw real
chelsea had a massive overhaul on their team and manager
arsenal - well thats down to a lack of quality unfortunately
city - terrible tactics (inexperienced manager)

i think the epl misses liverpool's consistency in cl, the old chelsea continually reaching the later stages, and arsenals quality.

city can pose a threat in the future with a new manager imo, and if spurs make the cut this year i think they will also be competitive.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Must agree. CL was miles better with liverpool than it is now with City
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:52 pm

People are surprised by this? You probably could have seen it coming. I know I didn't expect City Arsenal or even Chelsea to do well at all this year. United surprised me with their heroic performance against Madrid, the only CL contending team in the PL atm.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:50 pm

If Man City had Pellegrini or someone, they'd get far in the CL imo. They should have qualified for the last 16 at least once from the past 2 seasons.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by barca 2011 Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Madrid had the same problem as the EPL teams before last year as well, and for many years too.
barca 2011
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Stormer77 Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:42 am

For its financial muscle and its claims that its "the best league in the world" its inexcusable.

Stormer77
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:32 am

Stormer77 wrote:

sup Sciacca Laughing
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stormer77 Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:56 am

If all the Italian or Spanish or German teams had been KO'd before the QF,the English press and EPL fan-boys would have crucified any one of those leagues.

Stormer77
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:14 am

Well, I decided I will only start gloating if all three German teams manage to reach the semi final ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:15 am

Yeah, I'll play the waiting game for now. Though Schalke seems to have collected themselves again, which is bad news for Galtasaray.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:28 am

Well, Schalke know their only way to garner money is pulling themselves together, as reaching 4th place in the BL for a new shot at the CL next season is practically a must, while the next round of the CL also gives about 3.9 Mio Euros in bonuses from the UEFA alone.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next