Is it finally safe to say that Merkel was over-hyped?

+20
Fadi
shamr9pato
BigBoban
Grande_Milano
vu
fadjriemilan
Cotes
Chagur
JuvenelCuore
Forza
c_bernard10
uzonero
nichabr
baresi
Cruijf
disait
dostoevsky
BiasedMilanFan3
Eivindo
nicholasmenger
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is it finally safe to say that Merkel was over-hyped? Empty Is it finally safe to say that Merkel was over-hyped?

Post by nicholasmenger Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:26 pm

I think I saw a goal.com article at the before the start of the season that had some of the editors picking him as the potential Serie A young player of the year..

There were many thinking he'd finally be a primavera player able to make the jump to first team action without much delay.. People wanted him to start for us in certain games last season..

I think I recall hearing boasts of a young Schweinsteiger... amongst other premature praise.

We gave up half of his rights in the Boateng deal.. Send him to Genoa for "first team experience." (Which we say about all of our Primavera and they rarely get any deserved time.)

Speaking of which... Albertazzi isn't exactly lighting things up at Getafe.

I think Strasser and Paloschi are the only guys out there actually getting top flight minutes right now.

Here we are 5 games in and not only has Merkel not made a single appearance for Genoa, but he's not even made the bench for a majority of them. I realize it's super early in the season and he could have his moments in near future, but what gives? Is Genoa's midfield that good and deep? Or is he just another decent young player with promise that got over-hyped way too early?

nicholasmenger
nicholasmenger
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Is it finally safe to say that Merkel was over-hyped? Empty Re: Is it finally safe to say that Merkel was over-hyped?

Post by Eivindo Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:28 pm

What about the hype Sharawy got, I bet Allegri wont even use him anymore either
Eivindo
Eivindo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Is it finally safe to say that Merkel was over-hyped? Empty Re: Is it finally safe to say that Merkel was over-hyped?

Post by nicholasmenger Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:29 pm

At least Sharaawy had a full season at Padova to earn his hype..
nicholasmenger
nicholasmenger
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:11 pm

Merkel will be a good player when he grows older but I doubt he'll be the star player of our midfield

Albertazzi never impressed me, he was very over hyped

It's Verdi and Calvano that are our stand outs
Cal another was being scouted by ManU and Arsenal (reports from years back) and Verdi is impressing at Torino

BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:12 am

Merkel's just not physically ready in my opinion, I don't believe any reluctance to give him chances is based on talent. He has to break into a different system than in Milan, so he deserves more time to show whether he can use his Genoa experience to develop further or whether he needs a stint elsewhere.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by disait Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:02 am

All your young midfielders are either poor man's Crisetig or Tassi.

No, on the real tough I think the boy is really talented. Give him a break he's just 18.
disait
disait
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 pm

nicholasmenger wrote:I think I saw a goal.com article at the before the start of the season that had some of the editors picking him as the potential Serie A young player of the year..

There were many thinking he'd finally be a primavera player able to make the jump to first team action without much delay.. People wanted him to start for us in certain games last season..

I think I recall hearing boasts of a young Schweinsteiger... amongst other premature praise.

We gave up half of his rights in the Boateng deal.. Send him to Genoa for "first team experience." (Which we say about all of our Primavera and they rarely get any deserved time.)

Speaking of which... Albertazzi isn't exactly lighting things up at Getafe.

I think Strasser and Paloschi are the only guys out there actually getting top flight minutes right now.

Here we are 5 games in and not only has Merkel not made a single appearance for Genoa, but he's not even made the bench for a majority of them. I realize it's super early in the season and he could have his moments in near future, but what gives? Is Genoa's midfield that good and deep? Or is he just another decent young player with promise that got over-hyped way too early?

The Schweinsteiger stuff was BS from the beginning. It was always gonna happen just because of their similar looks, particularly the hair. they don't even have similar playing styles. Merkel is nowhere near Schweinsteiger's pace, and his direct approach is totally different from what one would expect form merkel.

All that being said, he's still a bright young talent ofc. He's not overrated IMHO.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:37 pm

disait wrote:All your young midfielders are either poor man's Crisetig or Tassi.

No, on the real tough I think the boy is really talented. Give him a break he's just 18.

Crisetig and Tassi are poor man's Calvano
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by baresi Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Nice left footed assist against Juve so far. Before the assist was pretty meh.
baresi
baresi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by nichabr Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:48 pm

great performance today a bit static but its like his second game for genoa if im not mistaken....hit the post twice and the set up the first genoa goal..
nichabr
nichabr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by uzonero Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:38 pm

hope he gets to learn a lot at genoa.
With his performance today, i think he is on the right path
uzonero
uzonero
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by c_bernard10 Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:05 pm

Heard he had a good game. What position did he play?

c_bernard10
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by baresi Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:24 pm

After the assist the guy just changed, had a good game, he played an AM.

Showed some skills, got Pirlo booked.

At some point marked Pirlo and shot him down.
baresi
baresi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by baresi Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:25 pm

I think he'll get more games after his performance today.
baresi
baresi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:09 am

yeah, I always liked Merkel. He's a bit different from most of the players we have now. He's fast, athletic, can shoot, can make assists and he tracks back to help out the defense and all in one - I think that with more experience he could be a great AM or CM, but he's not going to burst onto the scene just yet.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by JuvenelCuore Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:24 am

Merkel had a very good game today, it has to be said.

Off a corner, he hit a volley back facing to the net with the back part of his foot that went just inches wide. Not sure if it was a fluke, probably was, but nonetheless, good skill.

Then he scared Juventus when he put in a header that was a bullet that went straight off the bar, while Storari was powerless. Had it been lower, certain goal.

Not to mention that he got an assist on Marco Rossi's first goal, albeit Lichtsteienr allowed him too much space because well, it is Lichtsteiner.

Overall, a very good showing from the lad.
JuvenelCuore
JuvenelCuore
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:13 am

performance of merkel was very good. also a former rossoneri matri scored brace, he deserves starting lineup place in azzurri and juve.

btw, on merkel, seeing him fighting for his position in genoa, i liked this idea very much. actually its very nice that merkel went to genoa, a team who normally fight in top flight in serie a.

if our youngsters who after graduating from youth team is sent to loan or coownership, they should be sent at top team like genoa or palermo udinese, ... not in serie b team or relegation struggling team.

its very convincing to know merkel is in genoa, strasser in lecce not bad, atleast he is gaining seria a action we will observe.

its pity that verdi is playing in serie b, because he is very talented too he should end up playing for udinese or genoa too. this way our youngsters remain in competitive group, gaining serie a experience, while fighting for position and we can observe their progress too.

hope merkel strasser can progress enough in their respective clubs and gain valuable experience and hopefully be ready to replace some of our veterans...

Back to top Go down

Post by Chagur Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:36 am

Is it finally safe to say that Merkel was over-hyped? 123kn

Merkel ⭐ is MOM. I was really impressed by him yesterday, very solid game.But let's see how he does in further games.What he needs right now is regularity and consistency.I just hope he'll keep it up.

Last edited by Chagur on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Chagur
Chagur
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotes Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:22 am

Merkel is Milan's Giovinco...
Young players with alot of potential that go to other clubs & prove their worth...
Milan should get him back or I will call Conte & tell him to sign him up Very Happy
Cotes
Cotes
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:52 am

He's not really our Giovinco

He needs to be playing consistently and effectively at Genoa for that tag
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by fadjriemilan Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:21 am

His case is not like Giovinco at all. Most of our graduated primavera players are on loan or co-ownership. If ypu want someone compared to Giovinco then the closest case is Paloschi.
fadjriemilan
fadjriemilan
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholasmenger Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:27 pm

2 starts in 2 games... Hopefully he can keep it up.
nicholasmenger
nicholasmenger
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by vu Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:11 pm

4 call-ups, 3 starts, 2 assists... really didnt expect that...

vu
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:26 pm

I read he played great in last match in mid-week
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBoban Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:35 pm

I still have high hopes for Merkel, if can get 20+ starts a season and stay fit he'll come good, besides his still a baby for Milan standards
BigBoban
BigBoban
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next