How much have the Internet affected player prices?

5 posters

Go down

How much have the Internet affected player prices? Empty How much have the Internet affected player prices?

Post by paperbackwriter Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:36 pm

The question is rather clear, thanks to the Internet, players gets hyped up through youtube, immense coverage in highly visited dedicated football sites and so on. There are barely no "under the radar" buys of supertalents anymore. Since every supertalent in every country have some fan/dude making youtube compilations of everything good he does. If the talent isn't 13 years old (eg Messi). As soon as a player is very good for his age at around 17-20. He will be hyped.

I believe that even top team scouts use the internet alot to skim through the hype and then proceed to go watching players live and making their own opinion and later presentation to show management at their club.

Before Internet grew to the level it's been at for the last 10 years. There wouldn't have been the hype there is around a player like Neymar or Pastore. Less suitors and lower prices.

In 2011, the original Ronaldo would never have ended up at PSV after showing what he did with Cruzeiro at the age of 17-18 (44 goals in 47 games). There would have been a bidding war between Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd and co.

So, how much do you think the Internet have changed/affected the market value of players?
paperbackwriter
paperbackwriter
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

How much have the Internet affected player prices? Empty Re: How much have the Internet affected player prices?

Post by KMD Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Im a scout for tottenham and use goallegacy to find talent
KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

How much have the Internet affected player prices? Empty Re: How much have the Internet affected player prices?

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Well, I think it's a massive factor, and i wouldnt be surprised if even club executives use youtube and that kind of dedicated video database to look at some players.

It's something that is deeply imbued into the way we do things now. Social networks promote players, players use those to put themselves in display for the world to see, they start growing a virtual fan base and they get attention.

It's near impossible now for clubs to hide gems. But at the end of the day, i think there are positives for those young players they form. If they can get a greater compensation on those things, to me there is nothing wrong with it, they deserve it. And most of the times, the players being hyped have real talent. they can lose themselves and drown in that media attention, but clubs get a little more of what they deserve
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by shaven Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:31 pm

great observation PBW, i think some players are expensive due to name than his current skills.

so i really do think it really affects a lot specially outside european countries.

i myself dont know much about other leagues players or teams that arent advertise much.

i knew some people just recently got hype with football bec of the recent world cup with the help of the new and advanced technology.

they dont really love the sports but the love the hype of it! just like US before imo.

shaven
shaven
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Great thread +1. Yes, the internet affects the transfer market a lot, there is no such thing as unknown talent anymore due to youtube videos of their highlights. And I believe clubs do use the internet to scout players. It is a very popular rumour that Borussia Dortmund bought Lucas Barrios after seeing his 37 goals in 38 games video on youtube.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down