Rummenigge: FIFA corruption must stop

2 posters

Go down

Rummenigge: FIFA corruption must stop Empty Rummenigge: FIFA corruption must stop

Post by Sushi Master Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, chairman of the European Club Association (ECA), has hit out at Fifa and called for the 200 sides in his organisation to act in protest.

The Bayern Munich CEO spoke following the recent lifetime ban which was handed to ex-Asian Football Federation chief Mohamed Bin Hammam after he was found guilty of bribery accusations.

The former Germany international also targeted president Sepp Blatter, despite his pledge to rid the game's governing body of corruption.

"Sepp Blatter is saying [that he's cleaning up the game] but the fact that no one believes him tells you everything you need to know," Rummenigge told The Guardian.

"I'm not optimistic because they believe the system is working perfectly as it is. It's a money machine, World Cup after World Cup, and, for them, that's more important than serious and clean governance.

"It is a nice game but [it] is decided by people who are corrupt. I am not ready to accept the system as it is and I am not alone. I am asking for transparency, balance and democracy in governing bodies like Fifa and Uefa.

"I don't accept any longer that we [should be] guided by people who are not serious and clean. Now is the moment to intervene, because knowing something is wrong is an obligation to change," he continued.

Rummenigge has previously stated his dislike of international friendlies, and again touched on the subject.

"European clubs provided 75 per cent of the players for the 2010 World Cup, and each club lost at least €10 million but we accepted it as a favour to the players, and now we find dates have been given for international friendlies.

"When I won the European Championship [with West Germany in 1980], there were eight teams in the finals. That figure will triple by 2016. In the World Cup, it used to be 16 teams, now it's 32.

"The clubs pay the players but are not part of the decision-making process. We are not treated respectfully," he concluded.

-

He may be an asshole, but he hits home every once in a while.

Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Rummenigge: FIFA corruption must stop Empty Re: Rummenigge: FIFA corruption must stop

Post by kiranr Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:13 pm

There should be a window for international friendlies when all the scheduled matches can be played.

That way the national team coach also gets to work with all the players and for an extended period of time. It will not affect the clubs' season as well.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down