Doc
Myesyats
Lord Awesome
Casciavit
9 posters

Go down

The Next Midfield King - Pedri Empty The Next Midfield King - Pedri

Post by Casciavit Sun May 01, 2022 5:47 am

I tried looking for a hype thread in the general section, but I couldn't find it. So consider this thread the Pedri fan club thread.

I honestly thought it would be decades before we see Spain produce another Xavi/Iniesta level player, but they've done so just a few years later and he's better than they both were at 19. I can't stress enough how ridiculous this kid is. He got Messi's blessing from his first very training session with Barca, Luis Enrique started him in midfield at the Euros at 18, Koeman started him in Barca's midfield at 18, he's won the Kopa Trophy, and he won the best young player at the Euros award.

Those achievements are all warranted. He's become absolutely instrumental to Barca and he's the heartbeat of Xavi's team. Barca hasn't lost a single game when he has played this season and their 6 losses in La Liga have come when he's been injured. Since he got taken off at HT against Frankfurt Barca has lost 3 of their last 4 games. Their record in La Liga with him: 10W and 2D. Their record without him: 8W, 7D, and 6L.

What makes him so good:

Shooting: This guy can strike through the ball. He's very dangerous at the edge of the box. His goalscoring count went from 4 goals in 52 appearances last season to 5 goals in 22 appearances this season. Considering his shooting ability and the fact he plays higher up the pitch under Xavi, he's going to be someone who scores a minimum of 10 goals a season from midfield. I also hear he's being prepped to be Barca's next set-piece taker. Edge of the box threat, composure within the box, and set pieces? You're looking at +10 goals, and if he works on his movement in the box he'll be scoring 15-20 from midfield.

Passing: His passing range is ridiculous. I feel like this is what separates him from other young CMs. He's one of the few young CMs who can actually switch the ball to the opposite flank. His long balls to the RW are very accurate. He also has the vision to thread a through ball between defenders in central areas. A lot of these new gen CMs can't play a killer pass for shit. He can play quick 1-2s in the box, and he can also ping those lobbed balls to the fullback on his side and that was something he did a lot with Alba during the Euros.

Dribbling/Press-Resistance: He is very good under pressure. Just when you think he's been swarmed by 2-3 defenders, he'll find a way to wriggle out of it. This is especially apparent when he's pressed closer to the touchline. He also has a flair to his game, so you'll see him pull these tricks and flicks which get the crowd off their feet. I haven't seen him carry the ball over long distances or go past defenders 1v1 that often though. He's not the quickest player and because of Barca and Spain's style I haven't really seen him go on lung-busting transition runs like KDB or dribble 2-3 players on one run like Iniesta. However, given his talent on the ball, it wouldn't surprise me if he adds those elements to his game over the years. Laughing

Movement/Intelligence: He is very intelligent. He knows when to drop and cover for the fullback, and he knows when to play in between the lines. He's one of the few young CMs who can play behind the ball and play in between the lines. He's elite at turning with the ball between the lines. He's capable of turning and receiving the ball with EITHER foot and then playing an immediate pass with EITHER foot. He also has a good understanding of when to slow the tempo down and when to increase the tempo. His pausa is very good for a 19-year-old, and I'm sure his understanding of tempo will only increase as he gets older.

Workrate/Mentality: He isn't lazy. He has a very high workrate and he puts in a shift every game. He's responsible defensively, and he isn't scared to put his foot in to win back the ball. He isn't a liability when it comes to defending transitions or when it comes to winning back the ball high up the pitch. He runs his socks off every game. He is not a luxury player at all. He also doesn't shrink away from responsibility. He wants the ball, and he doesn't go hiding. It's no surprise he's pitched in with a few clutch goals this season.

In the last decade, we went from Xavi and Iniesta being the midfield kings to Modric and Kroos. Pedri will join that list. As long as he remains injury-free, and Barca/Spain win trophies with him he'll get those kinds of plaudits. He's not perfect and there are some weaknesses he needs to iron out from his game, but that's natural since he's only 19 years old. However, the truth is he can do stuff that those guys couldn't at his age. If he develops in a somewhat linear manner, then he will go down as an all-time great midfielder. This kid really has an incredibly high ceiling.

The Next Midfield King - Pedri Ballon-dor-ceremony-at-theatre-du-chatelet-in-paris

Acknowledge him.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

The Next Midfield King - Pedri Empty Re: The Next Midfield King - Pedri

Post by Lord Awesome Sun May 01, 2022 5:55 am

Acknowledged since last season. He's got Xavi passing but with Iniesta style game and probs has more goal than both of them though not enough to put him as a forward.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat May 07, 2022 9:28 am

Have to say coming into this season I was torn between who was ultimately the bigger talent between him and Gavi but during the course of the ongoing campaign everything has fallen into place. Could be the two year gap between them but Gavi is too raw and erratic which you can expect from a 17y/o I suppose. But the intelligence that Pedri possesses and ability to see 2-3 passes ahead is unrivaled and we've been suffering ever since he was sidelined with injury.

The thing I'm most impressed about is obviously his press resistance and how effortlessly he glides past opponents which just gives you Vietnam flashbacks of Iniesta but also his defensive contribution. He doesn't strike you as a defensive monster with his rather modest muscular build, but he's so great at recovering the ball and defending that I was personally baffled first time I saw him track back and win ball back with such ease. It's just wishful thinking but I hope he's the next Iniesta but better defensively and at scoring goals. So far he's been paramount to the team's consistency and harmony.

BTW he's not actually a La Masia product, he was scouted out at Las Palmas.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat May 07, 2022 12:23 pm

Yeah, he genuinely looks legit and I hope he continues to grow strength to strength. Except when the Clasico comes around.

As for the Pedri - Gavi comparison, I actually thought Gavi would be the one to be the next big thing. I mean, he probably still can be but Pedri definitely stepped up a level or two.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:27 pm

Barca's most important player
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:43 pm

Too weak, too slow and meh tracking back
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:35 pm

halamadrid2 wrote:Too weak, too slow and meh tracking back

wouldnt cut it in the prem rofl

same as iniesta hmm
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:46 pm

Completed 13/13 long balls today
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:36 am

Casciavit wrote:Barca's most important player

Literally he is everywhere, knows when to drop deep, makes great runs into the box when Lewa drags away the defenders. He is one of the most intelligent players I've ever seen at 19. And Hala is wrong actually, his tracking back and recovering the ball is at a very high level as well. His game vs Valladolid wasnt his best but he was still vital, did less tracking back because we were solid in defence

he has also bulked up

The Next Midfield King - Pedri FW6ceexXEAEM57n?format=jpg&name=900x900
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CR7fan Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:10 pm

smooth as butter.... not since Iniesta have I seen this gliding technique with the ball ffs

CR7fan
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:23 am

please don't stain Iniesta's name like that
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by CR7fan Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:17 pm

Pedri is better than Iniesta at age 19. I mean, even Xavi said so himself lol

CR7fan
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Clutch Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:40 pm

Ya and so was Jack wilshire

Clutch
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:51 pm

All I said was they have similar dribbling and ball control technique. It's not a controversial statement and having similar technique doesnt necessarily mean being at the same level anyway
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:59 pm

I see Barca fans losing their minds over winning a Spanish supercup.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:42 pm

I see Madrid fans smoking copium in preparation for a trophyless season
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:49 pm

Comes on after 1 month injury and turns the game around in minutes. He is an artist

Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down