Go down

2020 US presidential election Empty 2020 US presidential election

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:22 am

Now the primary of the Democratic Party is decided, on to the general election

here we can discuss

- Biden's VP choice
- the campaign as a whole
- things to do with the election

for example, what impact the Covid-19 pandemic might have on the proceedings, not just politically but also technically and constitutionally
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

2020 US presidential election Empty Re: 2020 US presidential election

Post by Myesyats Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:11 am

Isnt the US election a clownfest in general? Seems like the campaign never ends. Since the start it should take about 2 months to wrap up but in the US it's like a perpetual campaign and when one ends another promptly starts it feels like. The discussion whether Biden will run can be traced back to 2017 ffs, barely 1 year into trumpfest

Everything feels like a reality show out there.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Biden's problem is that he keeps going AWOL once every two weeks and when he shows up, he doesn't exactly look reassuring in interviews, he needs to up his presence in times like this, in the absence of leadership Democrats will look for someone else like Cuomo, heck some pollsters are already pitting him against Biden.

If it was Bernie I'd said Trump would've refused to debate him but with Biden I'm pretty sure he's salivating at the thoughts of going against him.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:04 pm

don't want to derail this thread, but if Bernie was going up against Trump, how likely was it that he was going to choose AOC as his VP? hmm
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:22 pm

El Gunner wrote:don't want to derail this thread, but if Bernie was going up against Trump, how likely was it that he was going to choose AOC as his VP? hmm

He couldn't pick AOC as she's not eligible, must be at least 35 yo.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:32 pm

AOC needs to continue to be doing what she's doing, working hard in Congress, mobilizing in media, communicating, coordinating, she's good at it.
Becoming VP is a distraction, better for people with more need to fulfill personal ambitions, like Stacey Abrams seems to have
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:53 pm

ah i see, i love her Laughing she's epic

Hapless_Hans wrote:AOC needs to continue to be doing what she's doing, working hard in Congress, mobilizing in media, communicating, coordinating, she's good at it.
Becoming VP is a distraction, better for people with more need to fulfill personal ambitions, like Stacey Abrams seems to have

you make a good point, but perhaps she might have higher ambitions in mind sometime down the line, and if she gains more support the people might want her to take on that path towards presidential campaigns
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:05 pm

Pedram wrote:Biden's problem is that he keeps going AWOL once every two weeks and when he shows up, he doesn't exactly look reassuring in interviews, he needs to up his presence in times like this, in the absence of leadership Democrats will look for someone else like Cuomo, heck some pollsters are already pitting him against Biden.

If it was Bernie I'd said Trump would've refused to debate him but with Biden I'm pretty sure he's salivating at the thoughts of going against him.
The more Biden talks the more opportunities for him to make a gaffe, insult a reporter, etc, so his team won't allow him to make unscripted appearances.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:11 pm

El Gunner wrote:ah i see, i love her Laughing she's epic

Hapless_Hans wrote:AOC needs to continue to be doing what she's doing, working hard in Congress, mobilizing in media, communicating, coordinating, she's good at it.

you make a good point, but perhaps she might have higher ambitions in mind sometime down the line, and if she gains more support the people might want her to take on that path towards presidential campaigns

Age limit aside, do you really think she's capable of taking over as head of state in case something happens to the president? Her voice is more useful in the congress right now, she's too raw, give her a decade or even two.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:26 pm

AOC would have single handedly destroyed Bernie's chances.

Republicans hate her, and moderates don't really like her either.

A significant chunk of Democrats don't like her honestly.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:27 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Pedram wrote:Biden's problem is that he keeps going AWOL once every two weeks and when he shows up, he doesn't exactly look reassuring in interviews, he needs to up his presence in times like this, in the absence of leadership Democrats will look for someone else like Cuomo, heck some pollsters are already pitting him against Biden.

The more Biden talks the more opportunities for him to make a gaffe, insult a reporter, etc, so his team won't allow him to make unscripted appearances.

*Unless it's a debate, where he tended to do quite well against other Democratic candidates
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Myesyats wrote:
El Gunner wrote:ah i see, i love her Laughing she's epic

Age limit aside, do you really think she's capable of taking over as head of state in case something happens to the president? Her voice is more useful in the congress right now, she's too raw, give her a decade or even two.

she's honest, fierce and direct - that's what i love about her
why should she then need to conform to a more "presidential sound" just to make her a more capable of being head of state?

But i do agree with Hans' point, that she's best served in mobilising right now and fighting the good fight in congress. And as a result she'll age and tire more, and most probably become less raw and fierce as the year tick by, which aids into your point.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:33 pm

CBarca wrote:

how so? has there been a poll done?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Youth and fierceness are not traits of a good leader. Experience is more important than just raw ideas and a loud voice regardless of what you think about the development of the brain.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:46 pm

We need less people who consider themselves 'leaders' and more who work in collaboration and solidarity

That's what I really liked about AOC's behaviour so far - she presented herself more as a spokesperson for a collective and for a team working on issues than as an individual political leader

But I fear that this slight, but essential difference might evaporate with each month she spends in the realm of the political establishment and the environment it brings

American politics is far too personality-driven and focused on individuals as it is. It's the fatal flaw of that particular version of democracy.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Trump will get Jared or Ivanka infect Biden with coronavirus, calling it now.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:48 pm

El Gunner wrote:
CBarca wrote:

how so? has there been a poll done?

I wrote that based on anecdotal evidence but polling seems to be contrary. She's pretty popular with Democrats.

I was correct in saying she's pretty heavily unfavorable otherwise, though. Her overall favorability numbers are bad. Republicans despise her and moderates don't like her.

Which still makes her a terrible choice, unless Bernie wanted to double down on a relatively small slice of the American electorate

To be clear, I like AOC for the most part. It's just that she would bury any presidential candidate if she were even considered for VP at this moment in time.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:56 pm

God I wish Cuomo was running... he's currently ripping Trump a new one lol. With facts, with passion and very eloquently.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:41 pm

CBarca wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

*Unless it's a debate, where he tended to do quite well against other Democratic candidates
He was competing for airtime with 7+ other people, spoke for less than 20 mins on most. Compare that to sharing a 2 hour debate with just 1 other person.

And in any event, he seems fine on stage, the issue is when he gets a hard question from a reporter/union member/anyone and he gets angry and shoots the messenger. It's happened a few times and it's not a good look.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:59 am

There is a recent interview, Biden is literally reading off his notes. That is wild, i have never seen shit like that.

Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:52 am

sportsczy wrote:God I wish Cuomo was running...  he's currently ripping Trump a new one lol.  With facts, with passion and very eloquently.

New York is currently the center of the COVID pandemic and hit harder anywhere else in the world, weird how much praise Cuomo is getting.

Gavin Newsom(California) and Jay Inslee(Washington) are probably been the best during the crisis.

Newsom has also been praised by Trump, and willing to overcome political BS and fights. Don't know much about Newsom policies or what not, but i have been impressed by his leadership. Comes out like someone not interested in scoring political points, but doing whatever it takes to help his state, even if it means throwing praises at Trump gigantic ego.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:14 pm

You have to look a little further than just the tip of your nose.

We had the virus in NY starting in December according to reports...   no travel restrictions.  Nothing Cuomo could do until a containment policy was in place on a national level... to which he could add regional measures.  The CDC and WHO gave no data to support any action.

Everybody in the world lie about their stats (especially France)... The US doesn't lie. That's another thing.

He inherited a dire situation.  He's done admirably well given what he had to work with.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:37 pm

How can people be so invested in this, especially non Americans like Hans?

Biden and Trump would make a great best buddy pair behind the cameras while golfing or fucking underage prostitutes at an Epstein party. Two nearly 80 year old rich, corrupt white men. One running on anti-establishment "I can say whatever unorthodox shit I wanna say" shtick, the other agreeing with him on all policies but trying to appear like he doesn't so he can get the rest of the votes. Who cares? America is run by rich oligarch families for decades now with 2 parties playing good cop, bad cop. Nancy Pelosi showing off her double 5000 Dollar commercial class refrigerators filled with premium ice cream in the midst of a pandemic. Leading figure of the middle and working class party of the USA. Laughing

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:40 am

There's a big difference in mentality futbol... in the US, we're happy for people who succeed and create a fortune. When we see nice cars, nice clothes, big homes, etc., most people don't feel jealous.. they aspire to achieve the same. The reason is that there's no glass ceiling.

In France for example... completely different. I drove an economy car because people would key a nice one if I parked it outside. In any case, I prefer economy cars now. But even if I wanted something more expensive or sportier, it would be impractical and put a target on your back. Also, the government would look to tax the shit out of me. Etc.

I have no problem with people showing their success. Love it in fact. What I don't stand is when those who live in relative wealth tell less fortunate people how they should act and/or feel... that's insensitive and, frankly, inaccurate.

Trump is about as gawdy an elitist as it gets. He puts the name "Trump" on everything lol. Yet, his base consists of blue collar people in the US. That's the strange part... he says that he's against establishment, elitism, etc. YET, he's the complete embodiment of that. How stupid can people be?!

As a FYI, the relief checks the people are getting from the IRS... it says "courtesy of Donald Trump" on it looooooooooooooooooooool. Nevermind it's the people who paid taxes that are just getting a bit of their money back. What a tool.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:29 pm

I think what my Junior was referring to, was how come people outside of the US are so interested in its elections.  I often wonder the same thing. In a way it’s comic relief but on the other hand Trump and his antics causes all kind of problems for the rest of the world.  I feel your statement Sports sums the America public very well

sportsczy wrote:

How stupid can people be?!

If they end up electing this a**hole again, they get what they deserve, but for the rest of us, it’s bad news.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next