blitz 9S route so you can then play the actual second act of the game
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

General Games Discussion - Page 19 Empty Re: General Games Discussion

Post by Thimmy Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:04 am

Firenze wrote:blitz 9S route so you can then play the actual second act of the game

This. Just get through it as soon as possible. If I remember correctly, there are sidequests that you can only do in the 1st and 2nd playthroughs. The majority of the sidequests are boring anyway, but there are missable rewards in them. I generally dislike when games are designed with missable content that you likely won’t even know about unless you read about them on the internet.

Metro Exodus, as well as the «redux» versions of the first two games were added to Playstation Now. I might give the series another chance since there’s little else that interests me, these days. Dishonored 1 and 2 are on there as well. I never played Dishonored, so I suppose I should start on that before Deathloop comes out.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:17 am

Yea i am not a huge fan of the hacking element or the air battles so will do it as soon as possible. However it's impossible for me to ignore side quests so i will probably do them anyways despite how shit they are.

Dishonoured is a great game. Definitely try it.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:07 pm

#98 (S)

Game: Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
Year: 1999.
Genre: 3D Platformer.
Publisher: Eidos Interactive.
Developer: Crystal Dynamics.

General Games Discussion - Page 19 File:Gex_3_box

First things first, I am changing my rating system to a simpler 10 point system. Games that get above a 7 I fully recommend, and those that get below that are mostly a waste of time. That leaves the score of 7 to depend on your taste

Right on the tail (HA) of the last Gex game, Crystal Dynamics were busy crafting a sequel that would push the boundaries of the PlayStation console while opening new ground with their reptilian mascot.

It's arguable if they succeeded with their first objective, but it is clear that they failed with their second and more important objective. Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko was the last game featuring the obnoxious lizard, selling less than its predecessor and perhaps convincing its developers to drop the character.

Ironically, I think that caused Gex to end in a high note, because Gex 3 is the best game in the admittedly average series.

"Let's get it on!"

Not being content with his obnoxiousness simply being expressed in ludicrous number one-liners, the developers actually wanted to craft an actual storyline that reinforces that trait. Enter the abduction of Agent Xtra, a Baywatch actress with a prodigious cleavage. This very human agent was kidnapped by the evil and genric Rez, which is why Gex must go back into the Media Dimension to save the girl.

Being a kid at the time, I didn't actually understand the not-so-subtle hormonal angle being pushed by the game. However, hearing the way Gex fawns over the girl coupled with her suggestive tunes is horrific in a uniquely 90s way.

Of course, this extra "plot" has little bearing in the gameplay but is interesting in a historical sense.

What actually builds on the world of Gex is a much-improved level and world design. Starting with a hub area that looks like Gex's secret layer, levels are accessed through TVs as usual. This time though, each level has its own unique theme, reinforced by a different costume for Gex every time (Which thankfully hides his naked lizard body).

Like the past game, each theme is a pop-culture parody of sorts, but the improved level design allows that parody to hit home in a more entertaining way. Also, it allows the world to speak for the game without relying on Gex's one-liners as an ultimate crutch.

"I want to lick it, but my tongue will get stuck"

With an improved world comes a slightly improved gameplay. In reality, the mechanics are virtually unchanged from the first 3D Gex game, but a much-improved camera is a clear advancement. True, the camera still throws things off more than occasionally, but it a greater degree of control and a more forgiving layout means that it isn't as frustrating.

Each level has three remotes to collect, with one extra remote requiring that you find all 100 "Fly" tokens in the level. Half the time, the three remotes justify the repeated visits to each level. However, in the other half, all three remotes demand you redo the same actions and basically replay the level three times in the same manner, since you can only get one main remote at a time. The worst offender is the "Mythical Station" level which was just a terrible waste of time, which is not something the game shies away from.

This obvious in the way you get the secret fourth remote for each level. Since there are only 100 tokens in a level, getting the fourth remote means you must do all the activities to get the three remotes, which gets you all the tokens. Then, you must choose only one of the remotes before you go back into the level and get the other two remotes. This could have been avoided if the game saves the tokens you get every tie you attempt the level.

Thankfully, the game can be completed with only 30 remotes, which means you can skip the more obnoxious levels and not get the fourth remote in each level. Yet, it is always a bad sign when you are thankful for playing "less" of the game.

"There is my big, strong, Transformer"

To its credit, Gex 3 does try and shake things up quite a bit. Every level is truly different from the others. Some have quirky minigames to shake things up, snowboarding, and tank battles for example.

Others rely on a unique level structure. For example, one level parodying the famous "Jack and the Beanstalk" fable is very vertically focused. Another has three remotes each in a different linear path (Which makes getting the fourth remote a nightmare).

Outside of the main levels, there are bonus stages you can unlock by finding bonus coins, which are fun but not in any major way. Most recycle the basic mini-games from the main levels, while others introduce a small level with a time-collection challenge.

What's disappointing is that none of the bosses come close to match the great Gexzilla boss fight from Gex 2, as all of them were as boring to fight as they are to look at.

"The Pentagon spent 25 million dollars on this one level??!!"

As I said earlier, I am not sure if Gex 3 actually stretches the PlayStation to its limits. Visually, the game pales in comparison to the best looking 3D platformers on the N64, and its N64 port suffers accordingly.

Still, the game is a marked improvement on Gex 2, but that's mostly attributed to better and more consistent art design. This, for me, indicates how art is often more important than raw power in preserving the visual flourish of a game.

One element manifesting that improved direction is the costumes in each stage, which were included in the last game but have much better design and personality here.

Another area of great improvement is in the game's soundtrack, which is actually solid and suitable. Of course, that's not a big achievement considering the very poor soundtrack of Gex 2, and I won't include any tunes in my videogames playlist. Thankfully, the soundtrack is not as frequently interrupted by Gex's one-liners or the game's obnoxious sound effects.

In Conclusion:

When compared to the first 3D Gex game, this game is highly laudable. However, those two games do not exist in a vacuum. In hindsight, I was too generous on Gex 2, because even after much improvements, the game doesn't compare to the best 3D platformers of the day.

Simply, even when it is fun at times, it doesn't maintain that state for longe, eventually becoming as tired and repetitive as Gex's signature zingers.

Final: 7/10

Pros:

• A good 3D Platformer
  • Varied levels with different styles

Cons:

• There are still some camera issues
  • The game gets repetitive if you want to get all the remotes

"Tips"
1-Collect 100 Fly tokens in each level for one extra remote.
2-You will need to learn how to use the karate kick jump to cross long-distance pits.
3-Use the triangle button to activate the first-person view, which you will rarely need at some levels.
4-for example, you can use it to stare into a vampire picture and turn into a vampire.
5-Collect Gecko Paws to increase your life meter.
6-Costumes with capes (or jets) allow you to hover when you jump by using the crouch button.

"Next Game"

Obviously, the Retro Sanctuary list is mistaken by putting Gex 2 instead of Gex 3 on its list, even if its at only #98. This is a much better game and a marked improvement in every way.

Next in my reviews will be Vanark at #97, which is slightly worrying as I have heard nothing about before and it doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. Here is hoping for some fun.

Stay Tuned
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:06 pm

I resonate those thoughts with RG.

The completionist gamers like me it has the fun sucked out of video games into a very mechanical structure in which you will go for the side-quest, completion percentage or trophy but for the sake of it despite the "achievement" being completely virtual and frivolous.

It is why I have come to prefer linear games that do not give you much choice beyond its path.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:32 pm

I’m a completionist, also. I discovered every nook and cranny of the Witcher 3, for example. I also did all of the optional content in the fetch quest and collectibles party that is Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Naturally, I did Nier: Automata’s optional tasks, as well. The exceptionally atmospheric soundtrack made it easier to travel around and do them, but most of the side content are fetch quests, and the majority of the rewards are worthless.

That said, there are high grade chips that you can obtain from the missable quests, and although it’s also possible to get those from random drops, they’re so rare that you’re highly unlikely to get them that way. I wouldn’t recommend doing such chore- like tasks for people who aren’t bound by our OCD Razz
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:45 pm

There was this disgusting side quest where you have to search for items in the desert. had to quit the game after i spent an hour in the desert finding them. Awful stuff.

I think i have done most of the side quests but i wasn't able to finish emil's memories or wandering couple because i didn't realise killing the machines in the flooded city triggered the main mission which voided all side quests.

Game is really ambiguous at times. there are stuff no one can ever find without a guide or spending days finding secrets.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:58 pm

RealGunner wrote:

Game is really ambiguous at times. there are stuff no one can ever find without a guide or spending days finding secrets.

Yeah. I’m not a fan of that part of the game.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:07 pm

I for some reason did the sidequest in FFXV where you have to scour the whole map to fetch frogs...
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:14 pm

I thought this game was an interesting trailer at the conference, grabbed my attention, figured it would be animal life is strange but sheesh

General Games Discussion - Page 19 Unknown

trans rights sure, but any time I see the term non-binary and it isn't at the end of a punchline, you're on my shit list

so I guess it's Goodbye Volcano High from me
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:26 pm

lol funny how they didn't mention any of that while revealing it Laughing

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:42 pm

That’s some ultra weeb shit lol
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:49 pm

Fully with Trans rights and nothing against them at all but a trans person is a normal gamer like any other gamer. Would they really play that game lol?

I mean if bella was still here we'd ask her but i find it hard to believe trans people wants representation via an animal game of all.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:22 pm

I have nothing against any of it but they should at least let people know what it is.

Hiding what your game is does nothing for anyone.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:35 am

So after Dragon Age II and III, EA now allows purchase of ME3 and ME4 too, so they've kept their promise. Although I hate, that in addition of required Origin software you need to register in Origin too. And also the pricing is still too high for old games.

Mass Effect 3 Deluxe 14,99
Mass Effect Andromeda Deluxe 14,99
Dragon Age II 9,99 + 12,49 DLC
Dragon Age Inquisition 19,99
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:39 am

Harmonica wrote:So after Dragon Age II and III, EA now allows purchase of ME3 and ME4 too, so they've kept their promise. Although I hate, that in addition of required Origin software you need to register in Origin too. And also the pricing is still too high for old games.

They want the double dippers to buy them at the max price they can charge them for. The price will almost certainly go down in the coming months.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:42 am

danyjr wrote:
Harmonica wrote:So after Dragon Age II and III, EA now allows purchase of ME3 and ME4 too, so they've kept their promise. Although I hate, that in addition of required Origin software you need to register in Origin too. And also the pricing is still too high for old games.

They want the double dippers to buy them at the max price they can charge them for. The price will almost certainly go down in the coming months.
Yeah the Dragon Age special offer was supposed to end in 9.6, yet you can still buy them at that price. So they were bating people to buy them quickly. Definitely going to wait some time before buying all four.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:58 am

Some leaked slides (or fakes) of the Big Navi. On average 32% faster than 2080ti, but more importantly offering Raytracing almost without performance penalty. Now AMD's raytracing is implemented differently, every CU has a raytracing part in it, instead of having whole different unit to handle them, which why they could perform differently. 46% performance increase in games like BFV would mean 131fps at 4k, 123fps RT on, which would be sweet. Of course these might just be fakes, but there's supposed to be big official news on Big Navi this week.

General Games Discussion - Page 19 D2QfKTO
General Games Discussion - Page 19 ZlVM7lY
General Games Discussion - Page 19 StFbl4p
General Games Discussion - Page 19 Battlefield-5-3840-2160
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:57 pm

Saw a Playstation Access vid on top 10 single player story exclusives on PS4.

In no order:

TLOU remastered
Uncharted 4
FF7R
Horizon
Bloodborne
Spiderman
The Last Guardian
Everyone's gone to rapture
Detroit: become human
God of War

Solid list to check out, I've only played 4 of these. Will play Horizon soon.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:20 pm

Thats a nice list. Never heard about Everyone’s gone to Rapture.
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:22 pm

LeVersacci wrote:Thats a nice list. Never heard about Everyone’s gone to Rapture.

It's a walking sim, good if you like that sort of thing but probably not if you don't hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:25 pm

There's some games i can think of that their missing.

Unless their not counting PS4 games that are on PC but not on Xbox.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Hated Everybody's Gone To Rapture. There are a lot of other games in the genre which are miles better like What Remains Of Edith Finch, The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter, Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons.

Would have Persona 5, Shadow Of The Colossus remake, Gravity Rush 2, Death Standing, inFamous SS and Ratchet & Clank over Rapture in the list. Although Death Stranding is coming out on PC soon so is Horizon and Detroit. FF7 Remake is a timed exclusive too.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:11 pm

LeVersacci wrote:Thats a nice list. Never heard about Everyone’s gone to Rapture.

It's awful lol. Made me hate gaming once i finished it. One of the worst experiences of my gaming career.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:57 pm

Some of the side quests in nier are awful.

Escorting this level 10 robot while being ganged by level 40 enemy constantly. Wtf is this shit
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next