Lex
Nishankly
McLewis
RealGunner
Kick
19 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: Women's General Football Discussion

Post by McLewis Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:41 pm

Summer update:

So July kicked off some major international tournaments:

CONCACAF's W Championship
Womens' AFCON
Womens' EUROS
CONMEBOL's Copa America Feminina
OFC Women's Nations Cup

I haven't been able to keep up with that last one, but if you follow me on twitter, you know I've been keeping up with all of the others.

Starting with CONCACAF, it's already at the final stage where USA will face Canada in a rematch of the 2020 Olympics semi-final match. Canada are favorites for this one. They've looked absolutely imperious throughout this comp whereas USA have struggled at times against teams they really should be beating easily. Both have already qualified automatically for the 2023 WC by reaching this stage. They'll be joined Down Under by Jamaica and Costa Rica. Haiti and Panama still have a path to the WC, but will have to win a inter-confederation playoff.

In Africa, the WAFCON semis are set as Nigeria will take on Zambia as well as South Africa taking on hosts Morocco. All 4 of these sides have qualified automatically for the WC. This has highkey been a really entertaining tournament to watch. Lots of ballers all over, particular from Botswana, Zambia and South Africa. Burundi also acquitted themselves well. My team in this comp, Senegal, have actually been pretty disappointing. At this point, I think the favorite is probably South Africa, however I'll be rooting for Nigeria. South Africa actually won the first meeting in this comp between them, as they were in the same group, but it wouldn't surprise me if they meet again in the final. I won't sleep on Zambia though. Their captain, the dynamic and ultra-talented Barbra Banda, may be banned from this comp (for a very stupid reason), but they weren't expected to get out of their group so there's no pressure on them and they're playing like it. Fun team to watch.

In Europe, we're on Matchday 3 of the EUROs group stage and 2 favorites have already emerged in France and hosts England, who have both already qualified for the knockouts. France smashed Italy 5-1 in their opener while England absolutely obliterated 11th ranked Norway in theirs, with a 8-0 shutout. Defending champs the Netherlands look steady enough while Spain were supposed to make some noise, but have instead lost both Alexia Putellas (torn ACL) and Jenni Hermoso (knee) so their prospects of a deep run look bleek. The remaining dark horse, Sweden, look their normal selves: Steady, but unspectacular. They'll go deep. The 2 sides I've liked the most outside of the favorites have been Iceland and Portugal. Both are really fun teams to watch.

In South America, Copa America Feminina is also in Matchday 3 with favorites Brazil, hosts Colombia, Paraguay and Venezuela have all qualified for the knockout stage. Argentina and Chile will advance to a 5th place game. Neither side can finish any better than 3rd in this tournament as a result, which  may yet yield a WC berth as the winner of the 3rd place match joins the finalists as the region's 3rd representative in Australia/New Zealand. The winner of the tournament will also face the winner of the Euros in a new fixture called UEFA-CONMEBOL Women's Finalissima, mirroring the one that took place on the men's side.

In Oceania, this is a strange one as usually the winner of this tournament goes on to be the region's sole representative at the WC, however given New Zealand, a member of this federation, is a host, that sole berth was given to them. So none of these teams will be there, meaning they're playing solely to win this competition and not much else. To that end, it's still in the group stages with Samoa, Cook Islands, Papua New Guinea, Tahiti, Fiji and Solomon Islands all qualifying for the knockouts.

McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Women's General Football Discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: Women's General Football Discussion

Post by McLewis Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:27 am

So England have just won Euro 2022, beating Germany 2-1 in extra time with goals from Ella Toone of Manchester United and Chloe Kelly of Manchester City. Germany scored their goal through Lina Magull of Bayern Munich.

This is England's first Euro win and the 2nd for their Dutch coach, Sarina Wiegman, who coached her home country to the 2018 Euros title.

England's Beth Mead took home the Golden Boot while Germany's Lina Oberdorf took home the Best Young Player award.

The game itself was an a real advert for the women's match and it really should bring added interest to the upcoming WSL and Frauen Bundesliga seasons. The WSL in particular stands to benefit a lot from this. Chelsea and Arsenal are already powerhouses, but Man United, Liverpool, Man City and Spurs all continue to lag behind in truly investing in top quality talent. Only City can really say its made some strides in that, but they need a better coach. Man United do have 2 of England's best talents in Ella Toone and Alessia Russo, but the club have failed utterly in providing a good environment for women's players. It has to do better. Germany will feel they took their foot off the pedal in the 2nd half of ET as they looked in control for most of this game, especially the 2nd 45. They were missing their top scorer in Alex Popp who was forced out just before kickoff with an injury as well as Klara Buehl, their top playmaker from midfield. Without them, they struggled to create chances and their stalwart defense just couldn't go the distance against England's dynamic passing from midfield through Keira Walsh and Fran Kirby.

Elsewhere, USA beat Canada 1-0 to win the CONCACAF W Championship Final, South Africa beat Morocco 2-1 in the Women's AFCON Final, and Brazil beat Colombia 1-0 in the Copa America Feminina Final.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:14 am

And one day it did come home Proud

Its nice to see this get the attention it deserves
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:40 pm

I saw this matchc last night.

Congrats to the Lionesses! They were excellent throughout the entire tournament and deserved to win. Smile
Ben
Ben
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:43 pm

Epic post game interview from the England captain, what a character
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:21 pm

Yeah that was Leah Williamson of Arsenal. This was her first major tournament as England captain. She was virtually unused in their last major tournament. Turns out she's a stalwart defender and will surely make the Tournament's Best XI. Such was the incompetence of Phil Neville.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:24 pm

Just about all of that England squad play their football in the WSL, which kicks off in September.

I expect bigger attendance numbers, particularly of the bigger clubs, due to this win by England.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:52 pm

And it sold out in less than 24 hours.

90K packed Wembley to see the World Champs take on the European Champs is the definition of a prestige friendly. USA fans have been begging for a fixture like this for quite a while. This team has only really faced Canada when it comes to the elite teams at international level since the Olympics. This would present the sternest test of Vlatko Andonovski's tenure and that of this very young USA squad since then.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:20 pm

That'll be an epic match between the two champions.
Ben
Ben
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:21 pm

Oh yeah, it's going to be very epic. I don't expect to see the same squads we saw in both finals as well so that adds to the interest in this fixture.

Sarina Wiegman really got away with playing a forward (Rachel Daly) as her starting LB. USA have some real weapons outwide that will absolutely exploit that. So Wiegman needs to find an actual LB who is ready to make the step up. I would also look for Ellen White to make way for Alessia Russo up top and for Ella Toone to also stake a claim for a starting position. Both have proven they're more than ready.

As for USA, we're largely OK. We just need to sunset some of these older players who just can't hang anymore. I'm looking at the likes of Kelley O'Hara, captain Becky Sauerbrunn, and Megan Rapinoe largely, but that group expand to Alex Morgan, who is only truly in contention right now due to a hot run of form as well as Tobin Heath and Christen Press, the latter of which is out with an ACL injury. All are world class players when at the top of their game, yet a new generation has emerged that are good (if not better) than each of these players in their positions, with the exception of maybe Press. Then there's the return of stalwarts like Crystal Dunn, Sam Mewis, Tierna Davidson and Lynn Williams when all are fully fit.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6