RealGunner
Sina
urbaNRoots
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Arsenal vs Burnley Empty Arsenal vs Burnley

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Unai Emery is confident Mesut Özil and Sead Kolasinac will be mentally ready to return for Arsenal’s Premier League game against Burnley on Saturday after the pair missed the opening weekend win at Newcastle amid concerns for their safety.

Özil and Kolasinac had been involved in an attempted carjacking by an armed gang near the Germany midfielder’s north-London home last month. Kolasinac confronted their attackers. Two men have been charged with a public order offence after a separate incident outside Özil’s property in the buildup to last weekend’s games, with Arsenal having opted to omit the players for the win at St James’ Park following the second security incident.

While Özil missed training on Wednesday through illness, both players took part in the first-team’s session on Thursday with Emery confirming they were in the right frame of mind and are focused on “training and matches”.

“Am I pleased they’re back? Of course,” said the Arsenal manager. “For us, for me, first they’re a person and second they’re a player. We’re continuing our way with all the players who are ready with us and consistent every day in training. They came back on Tuesday and Mesut was sick yesterday but, today, is better.

“When they are training regularly every day and consistent every day it’s good news for us because we can choose them to help us in matches, and the first match is Saturday. Really, really, my focus is to be positive and focus on making sure the players are 100% here in their minds.

“I want to help them to be with us, back to normality in training, thinking about football. Above all, I want them to be able to focus on each training session and each match.”

While it seems unlikely that either player would start against Burnley at the Emirates Stadium, not least with Arsenal having won at Newcastle and with their summer signings eager for greater involvement.

When asked whether they would be mentally ready to play, Emery said: “Yes, 100%. The mentality is now on focusing on us, for training and matches. Each training [session] gives us good information and good options with them to take the decision if they’re going to be with us on Saturday or be in the first XI. But we are going to wait until our last training session [before making a decision on selection].”

Both players are understood to have taken on extra security since the original carjacking incident in July. “The club is working and helping them with [private security]” Emery said. “At the moment they are calm with us every day.

“That will help, with their minds only focused on that training or those matches.”

Two men, Ferhat Ercan of Highgate, London and Salaman Ekinci of Tottenham, were arrested on 8 August outside Özil’s home and have been charged with a public order offence.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/15/arsenal-ozil-kolasinac-unai-emery-football

Team news

Mesut Özil
Back in training

Sead Kolasinac
Back in training

Granit XHAKA
Bruising to lower back and leg. Being assessed ahead of Saturday.

Rob Holding
Left knee. Continuing with on-field rehabilitation and now participating in full training with the first team.

Hector Bellerin
Left knee. Continuing with on-field rehabilitation. Aiming to participate in full training in October.

Kieran Tierney
Groin. Continues to receive treatment and further assessments. Aiming to participate in full training in October.

Dinos Mavropanos
Groin. Continues to receive treatment and further assessments. Aiming to participate in full training in October.

Press conference:

Predicted lineup:

Leno
Chambers Luiz Sokratis
AMN Torreira Guendouzi Kolasinac
Özil Lacazette Aubameyang
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Arsenal vs Burnley Empty Re: Arsenal vs Burnley

Post by Sina Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Big win please

Arsenal vs Burnley ECBZFgDXUAAqtnl?format=jpg&name=small
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Start Pepe and sub him after 50-60 mins imo.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Mesut already having spells of sickness rofl
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:32 am

Leno; Maitland-Niles, Luiz, Sokratis, Monreal; Ceballos, Guendouzi; Aubameyang, Willock, Nelson; Lacazette

Subs: Martinez, Chambers, Kolasianc, Torreira, Mkhitaryan, Martinelli, Pepe

I like that Emery has stuck with Willock and Nelson instead of dropping them for the more experienced players. Mkhitaryan doesn't deserve to start on form. That said, it's a big job for them against a stubborn Burnley team.

Guendouzi/Ceballos should keep the ball all day, but I'm concerned they'll be too lightweight. Will be interesting to see who plays deeper of the two.

First start for Luiz against a difficult striker in Ashley Barnes.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

Surprised to see that Emery dropped Chambers after his performance, thought he'd play with a 3 man defence instead. Good signs.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:41 am

Depending on how the game is going, I expect Ceballos will play 60/70 minutes, and Pepe and Torreira to come on. Lacazette probably won't play the full 90 either.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Martinelli, Pepe and Torreira should be the subs.

Agreed about Chambers tbh. It's harsh but Luiz was brought in for a reason and needs to start.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:29 pm

Still the same trash defending. :facepalm:

Actually, the problem has been a lack of control. The front three have been poor at holding onto the ball and bringing others into play. Auba's passing has been sloppy and he's run into dead ends, Nelson hasn't protected the ball at all and Lacazette is over-elaborating.

Those turnovers are dangerous because Burnley can just hit a ball into a channel knowing the full-backs have gone forward, and you can see how slow Auba and Nelson are at getting back to help stop the crosses.

The midfield three are doing well, even Sokratis and Luiz are doing well, but need more from the front, and AMN needs to wake up.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:31 pm

Auba isn't good enough footballer to play wide. Nelson has been invisible. Not sure what his role is supposed to be.

Front 3 isn't clicking at all.

Really wish XHAKA was playing instead of Guendouzi. Need to spread the ball around.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:34 pm

Imo Nelson is not ready to take on the role that we’re giving him. He needs another loan where he regularly plays and is allowed to make mistakes.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:49 pm

Well you play a central midfield of Guendouzi and Willock so how do you expect to get control of a game.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:53 pm

AUBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Well you play a central midfield of Guendouzi and Willock so how do you expect to get control of a game.

I actually have no problems with those two. Inexperienced, sure, but I trust them with the ball in most games. It's more a team thing. Emery wants his forwards to stay high when in possession and for the ball to go forward quick in transition, which is half the reason why Arsenal struggle to progress the ball up the pitch. Too much wastage.

Also, sitting back whenever they have a lead doesn't help, either.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:33 pm

poor first half,giving the ball away alot ,improved 2nd half but overall we just take 3 pts ,performance not satisfying

Pepe need sto develop some understanding with his new teammates ,Ceballos did fine but thought he took too many touches
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:35 pm

RealGunner wrote:Auba isn't good enough footballer to play wide. Nelson has been invisible. Not sure what his role is supposed to be.

Front 3 isn't clicking at all.

Really wish XHAKA was playing instead of Guendouzi. Need to spread the ball around.

Thing is I think Laca is a better option up front because he is better at holding the ball up and just slightly better at linking up play with others, even if he might be a touch slow sometimes. Auba can't pass for shit.

Auba up front only works if we have a strong forward playing midfield that can get the ball in behind the opposition's defence.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:40 pm

Pepe touch is still off but i can see how Emery wants to use him to transit quick from midfield to forward, play him instead of Nelson then we will be less disjointed. Disagree with Hans, our midfields today held balls well all three of them and had some smooth interchange.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Just looking at the stats. Gave up 18 shots to Burnley, at home. xG Arsenal 1.20 and Burnley 1.07. Upside is that Burnley's goal makes up most of that and the rest is just sheer shot volume. Downside is that the team shouldn't be conceding 18 shots to Burnley at home.

Control is my big concern, really. It's a decently talented team with key plays still to come back, but it's disorganised. These upcoming Liverpool and Spurs games really come at the worst time.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Getting Özil and XHAKA back into the team should give us more control in possession. XHAKA-Ceballos-Özil is a very good midfield offensively, defensively I don't think it even matters who we play as any combination is crap.

Of course we play Liverpool next week so we'll probably play 5 at the back.#

Knowing Emery he'll field this team:

Leno
AMN Chambers Luiz Sokratis Kolasinac
XHAKA Ceballos Torreira
Aubameyang Lacazette
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Our midfield today was too similar, surprisingly fancy with their ball control and touches, got lots of applause for it but actually lack quick feet and decisive passes, something Torreira and Ozil can bring.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:56 pm

I wouldn't mind that team next week tbh. Playing out from the back is going to land them in trouble against Liverpool, so direct balls up to a front two might be the way to go.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Jay29 wrote:Just looking at the stats. Gave up 18 shots to Burnley, at home. xG Arsenal 1.20 and Burnley 1.07. Upside is that Burnley's goal makes up most of that and the rest is just sheer shot volume. Downside is that the team shouldn't be conceding 18 shots to Burnley at home.

Control is my big concern, really. It's a decently talented team with key plays still to come back, but it's disorganised. These upcoming Liverpool and Spurs games really come at the worst time.

I don't know whether I remember ever seeing an Emery team actually control a game, consistently.
That doesn't seem to be in his tool set somehow. Always waves, spells, rushes, patches with his teams it seems.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Which is funny because he brings it up in his post-match comments all the time. Maybe he just has a weird definition of it.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Jay29 wrote:Just looking at the stats. Gave up 18 shots to Burnley, at home. xG Arsenal 1.20 and Burnley 1.07. Upside is that Burnley's goal makes up most of that and the rest is just sheer shot volume. Downside is that the team shouldn't be conceding 18 shots to Burnley at home.

This is why I am a big fan of XHAKA. He brings control in the team. I think Willock is a B2B while Ceballos is an Iniesta type.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:03 pm

That's my impression at least.

Though me viewing Emery teams play has also been only rushes, spells, patches, dots
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next