The Madrid One
Harmonica
Firenze
Luca
Mr Nick09
37 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Varane is the best CB in the world and there is nothing you can say it about it - Page 3 Empty Re: Varane is the best CB in the world and there is nothing you can say it about it

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:19 am

danyjr wrote:But you can't deny the fact that he relies heavily on his physical god given talent that are pace and strength.
like 99% center backs lol. Like being tall sturdy and strong isn't the bread and butter of centerbacks in Europe lol

Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Varane is the best CB in the world and there is nothing you can say it about it - Page 3 Empty Re: Varane is the best CB in the world and there is nothing you can say it about it

Post by danyjr Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:43 am

I agree, but my preference is intelligent and skilful defenders, as I value those aspects more than the physicality. Maldini didn't have much of a pace but he read the game so well that he was still playing close to top level at 41.

Watching Arsenal at Emirates in my teenage years, I remember Clichy quite well as the epitome of a guy with no sense of positional awareness but with so much pace he could recover and be an acceptable defender. Without that pace he would have been selling fake Chanel bags at the old port of Marseille or at best serving lukewarm croissants at a Parisian patisserie.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:09 am

"Maldini did not have much pace" rofl revisionist historian strike again.

Elite defenders who was pace or physical presence are very few
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:10 am

Mr Nick09 wrote:"Maldini did not have much pace" rofl revisionist historian strike again.

Elite defenders who was pace or physical presence are very few

Who said that lol? He was fast as hell lol, hell he was more of a LB because of this.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:12 am

Just read it lol, the only time Maldini wasn't fast was when he was 35+ as is the case for any footballer who has ever existed.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:13 am

It's your fellow barca fan Danyjr who somehow remembers watching Clichy but does not remember how quick Maldini was lol
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:18 am

Mr Nick09 wrote:It's your fellow barca fan Danyjr who somehow remembers watching Clichy but does not remember how quick Maldini was lol

Is he a Barca fan? I was under the impression he's more of a Boca fan who watches Spanish football.

He's very critical of both Barca and Madrid to give off a feeling of fandom to know, he can correct me if he likes though.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:23 am

I was probably 3 when Maldini had pace. From when I remember he was pretty slow. Not Mertesacker slow, but still slow.

Also Madrid fans thinking I'm a Barcelona fan cause I criticise their fraudster club occasionally. Same reason probably why they think you're a Barça fan @Great Leader Sprucenuce Laughing
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:42 am

I assumed you were a Barca fan as well, to be honest. I don't even know why. Think I've seen you post more in the Barca section than anywhere else.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:44 am

danyjr wrote:I was probably 3 when Maldini had pace. From when I remember he was pretty slow. Not Mertesacker slow, but still slow.

Also Madrid fans thinking I'm a Barcelona fan cause I criticise their fraudster club occasionally. Same reason probably why they think you're a Barça fan @Great Leader Sprucenuce Laughing
danyjr wrote:I was probably 3 when Maldini had pace. From when I remember he was pretty slow. Not Mertesacker slow, but still slow.

i thought you were a spurs fan tbh. hmm
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:48 am

Maldini had a lot of pace in his bursts in fact, just seldom had to really use it given he was on the clock in position before the opposition could blow past him. Thats how good he was.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:54 am

Tbf to them the reason they did that is because i watched them all the time because i enjoyed watching them pre middle of Pep era.

But i haven't really done that for a long time.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:56 am

maldini was the best LB that ever lived.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:58 am

Ashley Cole was a better LB than Maldini. Maldini is still a top 5 CB of all time though

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by nasir6371 Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:59 am

danyjr wrote:
Watching Arsenal at Emirates in my teenage years, I remember Clichy quite well as the epitome of a guy with no sense of positional awareness but with so much pace he could recover and be an acceptable defender. Without that pace he would have been selling fake Chanel bags at the old port of Marseille or at best serving lukewarm croissants at a Parisian patisserie.

Excellent point.

It feels like Varane hasn't improve since that Classico where he had Messi in his pocket in 2012–13(?). People were projecting him to be a WC defender with all the attributes. Should be at Virgil van Dijk level by now, but Varane is a defender unable to read the game Nor properly put a tackle in Proud he will be back in Ligue 1 once Goatmos retires.
nasir6371
nasir6371
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:01 am

RealGunner wrote:Ashley Cole was a better LB than Maldini. Maldini is still a top 5 CB of all time though

lordy lord Shocked Shocked
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:13 am

Prime Evra > Ashley cole
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:14 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Tbf to them the reason they did that is because i watched them all the time because i enjoyed watching them pre middle of Pep era.
Same, and also the fact that I found Barcelona section had some of the most interesting posts by the then-regulars like @The Franchise.

PS: Oh and I watched Madrid as much when they had Higuaín and di María.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:15 am

Mr Nick09 wrote:Prime Evra > Ashley cole
lordy lordy lordy lord Shocked
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:25 am

Mole was a self-admitting Barca fan on the goal.cok forums tbh
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:26 am

Wait Mole isn't a Barça fan? scratch
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:43 am

Arquitescu wrote:Wait Mole isn't a Barça fan? scratch

He's not. But between Barça and Madrid, he surely prefers the former.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:51 am

Best way of describing it lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:52 am

Mole is the most hardcore neutral from GL. Being a Newcastle fan means being neutral nowadays.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:53 am

So much so that i struggle to care about anyone hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:58 am

nasir6371 wrote:

Excellent point.

It feels like Varane hasn't improve since that Classico where he had Messi in his pocket in 2012–13(?). People were projecting him to be a WC defender with all the attributes. Should be at Virgil van Dijk level by now, but Varane is a defender unable to read the game Nor properly put a tackle in Proud he will be back in Ligue 1 once Goatmos retires.

What? Do you actually follow Varane outside of the odd CL tie? Serious question because this post tells me you don't. Varane is an elite CB, no two ways about it.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next