Casciavit
Luca
VivaStPauli
rwo power
Cruijf
34 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Congratulations to Italy on Winning Euro 2016 - Page 3 Empty Re: Congratulations to Italy on Winning Euro 2016

Post by farfan Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:59 pm

Easily the best peformance by a " big team " so far . Laughing

farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Congratulations to Italy on Winning Euro 2016 - Page 3 Empty Re: Congratulations to Italy on Winning Euro 2016

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:49 am

farfan wrote:Easily the best peformance by a " big team " so far . Laughing

Scraping past Belgium with a back-to-the-wall game?

No.

It's either the best performance OR by a big team, it can't be both.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:37 am

Scraping Laughing

Lol,they had the better chances,played the better football.Should've crushed Belgium if not for poor finishing.

Its all black or white on this forum sadly.

When people see teams like Italy for example shut up shop late in the 2nd half it means they parked the bus the entire game on here Laughing So ridiculous.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:52 am

I didn't say they parked the bus. But the game went down like Italy were the underdogs and Belgium the favourite.
That's also the reason why people are celebrating Italy so much Laughing
Gil has been somewhat successful apparently Laughing

Guys.

It's Belgium.

BELGIUM.

You don't win against Belgium, go home, stop competing.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:06 am

People are not celebrating because Italy won(atleast not me). Its more to do with the fact that all the hype around them and their #1 ranking came crashing down in a big way.

Its like Italy taught them a footballing lesson.

Its not just Gil.The EPL circle,English and other foreign pundits all were overrating them.
I read an article where the journalist was perplexed how Belgium with a team full of EPL stars lost to this Italian side.That's the kind of hype they generate.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:44 am

S wrote:
Its not just Gil.The EPL circle,English and other foreign pundits all were overrating them.

That is true tbf.
You for example even made a bet they would top the group :coffee:
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:39 am

You know why i did?

Because i expect Italy to botch their games against Ireland and Sweden while Belgium will most likely win against both.It would be classic Italy to scrub it up against weaker teams.

This Belgium-Italy group so eerily reminds me of Man City-Juventus' champions league group of last season.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:47 am

S wrote:I read an article where the journalist was perplexed how Belgium with a team full of EPL stars lost to this Italian side.That's the kind of hype they generate.
I think the kicker had the perfect headlines in today's print issue when they reviewed both Italy and Belgium:

Italy - A Team without Stars
Belgium - Stars without a Team
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:07 pm

The power of James :bow:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:24 pm

:coffee:
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:29 pm

Valkyrja wrote:If they get to the QF against Germany than a SF place is in the pocket. That would be the easiest bet to place ever

Molenation
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:23 am

I said they'd make it to the quarters if they were lucky. Seems like they're lucky.

Tour is over.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:38 am

Tour over like I said.

Squad just lacked quality. Without Buffon and the Juve CB's can't imagine how embarrassing it would have gotten.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:59 am

Don't call me James wrote:Tour over like I said.

Squad just lacked quality. Without Buffon and the Juve CB's can't imagine how embarrassing it would have gotten.

That's like me saying imagine how amazing they would've been with Verratti, Marchisio and a fit De Rossi.

There certainly was nothing embarrassing about Italy's run in this tournament and it's embarrassing if you think so.

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:16 am

I didn't say their run is embarrassing. Read my post again.

Anyways, I called them getting knocked out in the quarters and they did. This thread was dumb as shite because everybody and their cats can tell looking at that Italian squad that it would never win the Euros.

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Agreed, this thread was completely serious and uniquely so. There exists no such tradition on GL of making such threads, with diverse motives, nor shall there ever be.

Can only hope the OP is forgiven. We can't all be as immune to hype as you.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Proud
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:00 pm

For the very least, McAgger finally got a prediction spot on. Hopefully he sends Pelle and Zaza a fruit basket as compensation for this momentous occasion.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by elfmeter Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:34 am

juvealbanian wrote:P.S i really liked Conte not bothered to even play Insigne and SES or even Zaza.
He is saving the mass destruction weapons for more serious opponents.

Can't wait to see Zaza destroying some overrated team like he did with Napoli....Zazaaaa remember this name folks Wink

Dont worry, people will remember Zaza.
elfmeter
elfmeter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:57 am

rofl
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:15 pm

I thought it was weird that Insigne wasn't a starter. Looked their best player whenever he was on the pitch tbh. Shaarawy probably would have been nice for some pace up front as well.

Still hard to be down on Italy after their run. They did well for themselves and really outside of some comically horrible PKs they'd have beaten Germany.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Curtinho wrote:I thought it was weird that Insigne wasn't a starter. Looked their best player whenever he was on the pitch tbh. Shaarawy probably would have been nice for some pace up front as well.

Everyone in the world other than Conte agrees with you (:
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:47 pm

Cruijf wrote:
Curtinho wrote:I thought it was weird that Insigne wasn't a starter. Looked their best player whenever he was on the pitch tbh. Shaarawy probably would have been nice for some pace up front as well.

Everyone in the world other than Conte agrees with you (:

Do they?

Eder and Pelle combined for 3 goals in the tournament and put in great performances. They shared a real chemistry and it's quite clear to everyone why they were a preferred combination up top.

On talent alone, neither are starters and obviously that goes to Insigne but relax on your armchair with your hindsight 20/20 statements.

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:33 pm

Before and during the tournament multiple people were criticizing Conte for not playing Insigne. This is by no means hindsight, we've been saying this from the start.

And you're the first person I've seen disagree. What exactly makes Eder and Pelle so good? They certainly performed over their talent level so I guess you can give credit to Conte for getting the best out of them, but Insigne was far better than both whenever he came on. That SES only got 10 minutes all tournament is criminal.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:56 pm

Maybe he wanted more hardworking and strong forward. Whatever I have seen of Insigne the guy cannot be described as blue collar worker bee that Conte system demands. He is very good when team has more possession.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:54 pm

Cruijf wrote:Before and during the tournament multiple people were criticizing Conte for not playing Insigne. This is by no means hindsight, we've been saying this from the start.

And you're the first person I've seen disagree. What exactly makes Eder and Pelle so good? They certainly performed over their talent level so I guess you can give credit to Conte for getting the best out of them, but Insigne was far better than both whenever he came on. That SES only got 10 minutes all tournament is criminal.

To be clear, I wanted Insigne to start as well. He's our best forward by quite some distance.

What I'm saying is, I'm understanding why Conte went with Eder-Pelle and I don't think the decision cost the team anything in the end. In the end, Italy took Germany to penalties and lost. Eder and Pelle played well in each and every single game and had decisive moments in the tournament.

As for SES, his position was deemed as a WB in Conte's system and in Conte's system, as a WB I don't think he ever really had a chance because he does not do enough defensively. MDS won the position from Darmian on the left and kept it during the tournament and was excellent.

With this group, it clearly wasn't about starting the most talented player in a player for player type way. It was about a system that would work for how Conte wanted to play and he executed it as well as he could have for his own perspective of playing. Is he perfect? Far from it. Did he do well? Absolutely. At the end of the day, Conte chose a team and accepted the criticism with his selections long before the tournament began. He was then applauded for his efforts. I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt, even after the defeat, because he proved us wrong at every turn and was not far off from defeating Germany either (who were very much the better team).

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next