sk3ptical
Killer
Winter is Coming
Freeza
Kaladin
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Simeone's Atleti tenure holds much more water than Pep's Barca years - Page 2 Empty Re: Simeone's Atleti tenure holds much more water than Pep's Barca years

Post by Lord Awesome Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:05 pm

He's proven to be an actual good coach not just with Atletico but also with Estudiantes LP. Only Klopp or Mourinho have been able to do something similar with teams of similar build. Miles above Pep or Luis Enrique, definitely.

Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Simeone's Atleti tenure holds much more water than Pep's Barca years - Page 2 Empty Re: Simeone's Atleti tenure holds much more water than Pep's Barca years

Post by CM Pep Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:22 pm

Well the comparison is flawed imo. Both have achieved great things, true. But the context is different.

Simeone took a team which, for their infrastructure, had been underperforming drastically. He has moulded them into a formidable side. I think you can compare that to what Mourinho did with Porto, and also maybe to what Ranieri is doing right now.

Pep however changed a lot about the game itself. The influence of that could be seen in the WC & Euro(s) winning team of Spain.

What Simeone is doing is awesome, to regularly compete with Barca & Real even after giving away so many stars. But Pep evolved football, so the comparison is off imo.
CM Pep
CM Pep
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:44 am

Mourinho doesn't compare. This is Simeone's 5th season and he still got Atletico competing on all fronts and he does it with Torres as his lead striker (remember when Mourinho was bitching and whining in his first season when Higuain had that back injury that he only had Benzema to work with and then they got Adebayor for him because he wanted another striker badly? Laughing). When did a Mourinho team ever perform beyond 2 seasons? If it was Mourinho in the first leg against Barca with his striker getting sent off he would have lost the plot in the press conference afterwards, gotten himself suspended and instead of concentrating on the second leg his team would have mentally checked out due to the manager's shenanigans. Competing for La Liga and the CL with Torres upfront is unheard of.

Pep also doesn't compare. Pep hasn't done any credible coaching for about 5 years now. His closest domestic competitor just shipped in 5 goals against a midtable Premier League side and after that there is a 20 point gap to the next best Bundesliga team. Just let that sink in. Laughing Who cares if Pep makes Alaba play box-to-box defensive striker against Ingolstadt?

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:56 am

CM Pep wrote:Well the comparison is flawed imo. Both have achieved great things, true. But the context is different.

Simeone took a team which, for their infrastructure, had been underperforming drastically. He has moulded them into a formidable side. I think you can compare that to what Mourinho did with Porto, and also maybe to what Ranieri is doing right now.

Pep however changed a lot about the game itself. The influence of that could be seen in the WC & Euro(s) winning team of Spain.

What Simeone is doing is awesome, to regularly compete with Barca & Real even after giving away so many stars. But Pep evolved football, so the comparison is off imo.

Pep evolved shit. Aragones already had the system in place. That hipster stuff of playing footballers out of their position as he regularly does with the likes of lahm and alaba or his astronomic formations only impress fanboys.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:53 am

I think people are also underestimating Simeone's impact. Last few weeks in Serie A Carpi's coach said they played the game like Atletico (they won 4-1). Same thing in Genoa a while back.

Teams take notice of Simeone's success.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:57 am

Pep gets more credit for reinventing the wheel with possession-styled football, but I agree that Simeone seems to have a bigger impact. He's not a great tactician and prefers to stick to the basics, nor is he great at transfers (where is Jackson now?). But he is a fantastic motivator, he improves his players drastically (especially noteworthy with strikers and CBs), and he gets them to be 100% committed to the cause.  And that's enough to consistently mount a challenge against teams with 3 or 4 times his budget.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:29 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Pep gets more credit for reinventing the wheel with possession-styled football, but I agree that Simeone seems to have a bigger impact. He's not a great tactician and prefers to stick to the basics, nor is he great at transfers (where is Jackson now?). But he is a fantastic motivator, he improves his players drastically (especially noteworthy with strikers and CBs), and he gets them to be 100% committed to the cause.  And that's enough to consistently mount a challenge against teams with 3 or 4 times his budget.

Everything is fine there, except that he is not a great tactician. Whenever I have seen Atletico in CL in La Liga big games, I have seen many times that he gets his team tactically right. I think against Bayern also, it will be interesting how he sets up his team and seeing his record in CL, I think he will get it right.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:42 am

His impact on teams was great also like player . I remind him very well as player , one of my favourite midfielders,it was logic that he'd have became a great coach . For me the best , and I already said befoe of his knock-out match against Barcelona

breva wrote:Simeone was fired as Catania manager at one point. Catania is in Serie B now. LOL

no, he was never fired from Catania.
Catania sacked his manager around December ( Giampaolo) and they contacted Simeone.And Simeone saved the Catania.
tbh he looked like average, also because everyone could save the Catania basically ... even Zenga
Catania collapsed after the director LoMonaco went out
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:13 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Pep gets more credit for reinventing the wheel with possession-styled football, but I agree that Simeone seems to have a bigger impact. He's not a great tactician and prefers to stick to the basics, nor is he great at transfers (where is Jackson now?). But he is a fantastic motivator, he improves his players drastically (especially noteworthy with strikers and CBs), and he gets them to be 100% committed to the cause.  And that's enough to consistently mount a challenge against teams with 3 or 4 times his budget.

If it wasnt for the budget part i would have thought we're talking about the mourinho of old days.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:14 am

breva wrote:Simeone was fired as Catania manager at one point. Catania is in Serie B now. LOL

Says more about Catania than it does Simeone tbf.

Dat all Argentina XI tho Proud
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by El Blanco Madridista Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:25 am

Simeone is a top class coach. What he has done for Atletico is nothkng short of incredible. He took them from mid-table and made them domestic and european contenders.

El Blanco Madridista
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:27 am

how about we don't compare the two.
time and time again we've seen managers who do great in smaller underdog teams and suck terribly in big teams that are expected to win.
and vice versa.
both are great managers with different circumstances.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:35 am

zizzle wrote:If it wasnt for the budget part i would have thought we're talking about the mourinho of old days.
Mou is great at transfers though. See Inter: Lucio, Sneijder, Thiago Motta, Milito.
McLewis wrote:

Says more about Catania than it does Simeone tbf.

Dat all Argentina XI tho Proud

I don't think he was fired so much as he wanted to leave because the club lacked any sort of ambition
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:02 am

Simeone and Catania parted company by mutual consent. My bad.
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2