Matthew Syed: It is Roman Abramovich who shames Chelsea

2 posters

Go down

Matthew Syed: It is Roman Abramovich who shames Chelsea Empty Matthew Syed: It is Roman Abramovich who shames Chelsea

Post by Pip Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:46 am

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/chelsea/article4597865.ece

An excellent piece from Syed who continues his campaign against Chelsea, as José Mourinho would put it. Here are a couple of snippets from the article, if you want to read the rest then I recommend that you purchase an annual subscription to The Times.

It has been said that the antics of José Mourinho this season have brought shame upon Chelsea and their owner, Roman Abramovich. But let’s be frank: Mourinho couldn’t bring shame upon the Russian oligarch if he turned up to Stamford Bridge dressed in drag, proceeded to insult every football referee in history and then sacked 20 of the medical staff before breakfast.

I don’t wish to diminish the actions of the Portuguese manager — they have been shameful — but let us not compare them with one of the great, unfolding scandals in English football. The money that has bankrolled Chelsea these past 12 years, which has brought multiple trophies while sanitising the image of one of the most dubious individuals ever associated with British sport, was corruptly amassed. Don’t take my word for it: listen to the man himself.

later in the article:

Perhaps the most extraordinary thing of all is that merely discussing the activities of Abramovich is considered “controversial”. Could there be anything more symbolic of how narrow the debate within football has become?
Many Chelsea fans bitterly regret the identity of their club’s owner; others tolerate his presence. But there are some who see it as a badge of honour to defend his past. “What about the owners of other clubs?” they say. “Are not all rich people at least a little dubious?” This is cognitive dissonance of a kind that even Leon Festinger, the sociologist, would have found comical. It is whataboutery on turbocharge, and it is pitiful to behold.

Your thoughts?

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Matthew Syed: It is Roman Abramovich who shames Chelsea Empty Re: Matthew Syed: It is Roman Abramovich who shames Chelsea

Post by Cruijf Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:14 pm

Well its true.

But my club owes much of its success to Berlusconi, who isn't exactly a saint, so I can't really criticize.

Tbh I don't understand why it matters, if people really cared where their entertainment came from Apple, Sony,, Nike, etc. would all be out of business.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down