McLewis
Art Morte
Lord Spencer
Lord Awesome
BarrileteCosmico
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

U.S. senators urge FIFA not to let Russia host World Cup 2018 Empty U.S. senators urge FIFA not to let Russia host World Cup 2018

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:37 pm

U.S. senators urge FIFA not to let Russia host World Cup 2018

(Reuters) - A group of U.S. senators has written to the international soccer association FIFA, urging it to consider removing Russia as host of the 2018 FIFA World Cup because of its role in the Ukraine crisis and occupation of Crimea.

In a letter dated Tuesday and released on Wednesday, the 13 Democratic and Republican U.S. lawmakers said they "strongly encourage" the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) to move the global competition.

"Allowing Russia to host the FIFA World Cup inappropriately bolsters the prestige of the (Russian President Vladimir) Putin regime at a time when it should be condemned and provides economic relief at a time when much of the international community is imposing economic sanctions," the senators wrote to FIFA President Sepp Blatter.

The lead signers were Senator Robert Menendez, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and Senator Ron Johnson, the Republican chairman of the foreign relations panel's Europe subcommittee.

Republican Senator John McCain, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, also signed the letter, as did Senator Richard Durbin, the number two Democrat in the Senate.

A copy of the letter was also sent to the U.S. Soccer Federation.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/01/us-soccer-fifa-congress-idUSKBN0MS52G20150401
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

U.S. senators urge FIFA not to let Russia host World Cup 2018 Empty Re: U.S. senators urge FIFA not to let Russia host World Cup 2018

Post by Lord Awesome Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:29 pm

It's true, though. It was already kinda tough for Brazil to host the WC, although I'm sure most of us realized it could be done. Russia & Qatar however are definitely very iffy still. Russia still shows signs that it's still not too happy with the west whereas Qatar are allied against forces against the west.

The next 2 WC's will be nothing short of controversial, I feel.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

U.S. senators urge FIFA not to let Russia host World Cup 2018 Empty Re: U.S. senators urge FIFA not to let Russia host World Cup 2018

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:53 pm

If it is okay for the US to hold international tournaments after supporting Dictatorships, then toppling those dictatorships and destabilizing their regions, then contributing further to the destabilization by funding and training some rebels to topple yet another dictator which they would have supported if he had supported their other dictators in the region, at which points those rebels turned out to be after toppling all regimes in the already destabilized region, all the while, it is helping another dictatorship help reinstate another dictatorship from rebels who wanted to topple it.

Point is, the US is as responsible as Russia for the most deaths after WW2, and it always amuses me how they always manage to speak from such a high horse.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:35 pm

It was just a matter of time when the 2018 WC in Russia became a diplomatical and political topic in the West and I expect discussion & issues about it only increase the closer to 2018 we get.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:46 pm

It's what we do, LS....even when we're throwing rocks in our nice glass house.

Bob Menendez probably won't be able to participate much in this anyway since he just got indicted on corruption charges.

I personally don't like Russia having this WC simply because this is an inclusive event that will occur in a country that simply isn't very inclusive.

Well unless your Edward Snowden anyway.

Last edited by McLewis on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thanks Hans)
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:04 pm

It's Edward.

Anyway, who cares what US senators have to say regarding football matters Laughing
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:46 pm

I don't think Russia is in a place where boycotting them helps anyone, they need to be integrated into the international community, not isolated.

Qatar needs to be isolated, because they can't be trusted with the World Cup in their naughty, greedy, hands.
Sure, I'd prefer for the WC to not be in Russia, but boycotting the Olympics didn't solve anything back in the day. It shouldn't have gone to Russia, yes, but now that it has, it'll just hurt the sport and help nobody. It's probably the greater opportunity to internationalize Russian society that has taken on a more and more xenophobic streak ever since Putin, and the Orthodoxy, have gathered power.

If you want to take a WC away from someone, take it away from Qatar, who are unable to host one.
Sure, they're able to host something, which is played in winter, without beer and lesbians, and I say, if there isn't beer and lesbians, it's no World Cup, Sirs!
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by elm_baraja_shaman Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:54 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:I don't think Russia is in a place where boycotting them helps anyone, they need to be integrated into the international community, not isolated.

Qatar needs to be isolated, because they can't be trusted with the World Cup in their naughty, greedy, hands.
Sure, I'd prefer for the WC to not be in Russia, but boycotting the Olympics didn't solve anything back in the day. It shouldn't have gone to Russia, yes, but now that it has, it'll just hurt the sport and help nobody. It's probably the greater opportunity to internationalize Russian society that has taken on a more and more xenophobic streak ever since Putin, and the Orthodoxy, have gathered power.

If you want to take a WC away from someone, take it away from Qatar, who are unable to host one.
Sure, they're able to host something, which is played in winter, without beer and lesbians, and I say, if there isn't beer and lesbians, it's no World Cup, Sirs!

am sure Arkansas and Indiana would like to have a word with you on that....
elm_baraja_shaman
elm_baraja_shaman
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:58 pm

U.S. senators urge FIFA not to let Russia host World Cup 2018 Ce9f95059775d45c8ffc09626e566ce0

US pls
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:36 am

Lord Spencer wrote:If it is okay for the US to hold international tournaments after supporting Dictatorships, then toppling those dictatorships and destabilizing their regions, then contributing further to the destabilization by funding and training some rebels to topple yet another dictator which they would have supported if he had supported their other dictators in the region, at which points those rebels turned out to be after toppling all regimes in the already destabilized region, all the while, it is helping another dictatorship help reinstate another dictatorship from rebels who wanted to topple it.

Point is, the US is as responsible as Russia for the most deaths after WW2, and it always amuses me how they always manage to speak from such a high horse.

Yup. I read an interesting article a while back comparing Putin's response to Ukraine/Crimea with Raegan and the Sandinistas in Nicaragua and the parallels are quite astonishing.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/02/17/what-putin-learned-from-reagan-ukraine-nicaragua/
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:40 am

Jonathan28 wrote:U.S. senators urge FIFA not to let Russia host World Cup 2018 Ce9f95059775d45c8ffc09626e566ce0

US pls

lmfaooooooooooooooo
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Interesting.

Politics getting more and more involved in football by the day.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:08 pm

At first I was against these ridiculous World Cup locations, now I kinda want to see them happen because even boring games will be interesting with some cold war controversial shit happening in the background and lead up to games

Forza Russia Forza Qatar
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:59 pm

Knowing a bomb can go off at a any minute, ffs.
#LivingLifeOnTheEdge
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:05 am

But they have no problem with stadiums being built by slaves. There is no point in bringing politics into football, unless we are willing to protest against every single wc campaign and not just against the enemies of Uncle Sam and his west side homies.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:21 am

US taking the moral high ground rofl

If US were punished for atrocities they've caused over the years they would never be involved in any sport competitions let alone host it

Oh and the Crimea situation is like Falkland. The Crimean people want to be Russian even most of Ukraine want to but Ukraine (and the rest of the world) are trying to convince themselves that Crimea is part of Ukraine

Last election 99% of the Crimea people voted for being part of Russia just like when Falkland had an election. But funnily enough the Crimea vote is not considered legit by the west who continue to live in la la land
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:07 am

Stones in a glass house. USA has no jurisdiction making such comments.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:43 pm

It's John McCain what do you expect - he looked into Putin's eyes and saw three letters K-G-B....

If the guy had become president, we'd probably be living in some post-nuclear war wasteland already lol.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Problem is that the rumor is that the US and its closest allies (France, UK, Germany, Italy, etc) will boycott the Russian one unless Ukraine gets resolved by then.

I think it's dumb...  But it's about putting max economic pressure.  If those countries don't go, neither would their fans.

It would be a sanction.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:26 pm

I highly doubt that this boycott would go through in the football-mad countries. It's easy for the US to threaten not to send their soccer team, but I guess that in Germany the government would be toppled before we don't have the DFB-Team at a World Cup.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:37 pm

sportsczy wrote:Problem is that the rumor is that the US and its closest allies (France, UK, Germany, Italy, etc) will boycott the Russian one unless Ukraine gets resolved by then.

I think it's dumb...  But it's about putting max economic pressure.  If those countries don't go, neither would their fans.

It would be a sanction.

Wars and stuff ain't no problem but boycott a WC? The parties and especially people in charge wouldn't even make it into parliament after that :coffee:
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:41 pm

I don't think football or any other sport, whether the country is passionate about it or not, will have any weight.  It's about economic sanctions and would be all encompassing.  For example, France did not deliver war planes to Russia due to sanctions which cost the country over 3 billion euros.

By then, the western powers will have finished the project where they built infrastructure to receive their natural gas needs from someone other than Russia.  That's the impediment right now or the sanctions would have been far worse...  once the energy reliance is gone, it then becomes very very serious.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:47 pm

The only reason we Americans speak from such a high horse is only because we can afford to, fortunately or unfortunately.

Boycotting Russia won't work. Tensions would only be accelerated if that happened. Though, I don't know what would be the status of Russia & U.S. relations by then.

Qatar, isn't ready now but I'm sure they'll get things done by 2022. The problem I see in Qatar is not economical nor time-wise but political. Qatar's flexibility will certainly be tested by the westerners that go there.

Still wanna go and check out the Middle East, North Africa, and the  South & West Asia regions. With the World Cup so close to the holidays it'll be perfect to take a ride around those regions. Just gotta avoid marriage till then. Laughing
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:03 pm

sportsczy wrote:Problem is that the rumor is that the US and its closest allies (France, UK, Germany, Italy, etc) will boycott the Russian one unless Ukraine gets resolved by then.

It would be a sanction.

A win for Argentina and Brazil, I'm game.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:30 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:

It would be a sanction.

A win for Argentina and Brazil, I'm game.

Would also increase Finland's chances of getting into the World Cup banana

#boycottRussia2018 #NoNatoNationsInRussia #FinlandsTimeToShine
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next