El Gunner
Lex
Jay29
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brighton & Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal Empty Brighton & Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal

Post by Jay29 Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:23 pm

A game where Arsenal were comfortable and much the better team bar two lapses of concentration that allowed Brighton back into the game twice. Perhaps after last week's defending against City we had to make some errors just to restore balance to the world, or something.

For most of the game, it looked like that we wouldn't become the latest victims of the FA Cup's "magic". In the first half, we were fantastic in how we kept the ball, how the players moved off the ball and how they recovered the ball when they lost it. There was a definite confidence there in how we stroked the ball about and Brighton didn't have an answer for it. They were unable to keep hold of the ball and had great difficulty tracking the runs of Walcott, Ozil, Ramsey and Rosicky.

When Walcott and Ozil scored, it seemed like the ideal half. Both goals were nicely constructed and taken well. Walcott seemed to grow more confident with the goal and was a danger throughout the half on and off the ball, though his decision making and passing let him down at times. Ozil played at his typical nonchalant pace, floating about and knitting together our play.

Else where, Gibbs and Chambers got forward to good effect, while Ramsey played a slightly more disciplined role in midfield where he picked his moments to go forward more carefully. The partnership of Koscielny and Monreal was untroubled.

It may have been a case of Arsenal being too comfortable in the second half. Walcott had a great chance to make it 3-0 but opted to take a touch instead of shooting first time. Brighton were able to clear and took advantage of some slack defending to get a goal back. Rosicky's initial clearance was poor, Chambers failed to mop up afterwards and then Flamini got too tight and allowed O'Grady to turn him and get a shot away. It was a good finish but a sloppy goal to give away.

Briefly, Brighton threatened to equalise but out two goal cushion was restored by an excellent Rosicky volley. Our pressing won us the ball back near the Brighton penalty area, and some intricate play saw Rosicky get a chance on the edge of their box. We were back to being comfortable again.

But then Brighton got another after another period of poor defending. Monreal stepped out of defence and left a gap for Baldock to run into and receive the ball. His finish was also very good. That goal changed the game as Brighton suddenly started to get tighter to us and put more pressure on our defence. For a while we struggled to get out of our own half.

Thankfully, the defence held firm enough, and Akpom and Alexis were able to carry us up the pitch and win us a number of free-kicks in their half. That helped us see the game through and book our place into the next round.

We certainly could have done without the poor defending but I thought the performance was pleasing overall. Our midfield and attack were excellent despite having Santi and Alexis on the bench. Ramsey played the full game and Ozil and Walcott got good minutes and will be a step closer to full fitness. It seems we're well placed for a strong finish to the season, especially in the FA Cup as results went our way big time. We're probably the favourites to win the trophy now.

Still, Man Utd and Liverpool should be in the next round draw tomorrow, and there are some tough teams like West Ham, Crystal Palace and Stoke (should they beat Rochdale tomorrow). It's by no means a formality that we'll get to the final.

We're in a good position to get to the final, our players are playing well, we've got guys back from injury (for now) and a new signing. All going well, we'll finally win our third consecutive league game for the first time this season against Villa next Sunday.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Brighton & Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal Empty Re: Brighton & Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal

Post by Lex Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:28 pm

This result will be blown out of proportion by the anti-Arsenal brigade in the media when, in reality, we never looked uncomfortable at any point, we never relinquished the lead and never really looked like losing, even after they scored.

With such a makeshift back-line, it would have been almost naive to think we wouldn't concede at least one goal
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Brighton & Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal Empty Re: Brighton & Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal

Post by El Gunner Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:34 pm

Yeap. Should smash Villa next weekend. Per will be back then again hopefully, with Bellerin back at RB and Kos back to LCB.

We were never in fear of losing, except whenever Brighton cut our lead to 1 goal.

Rosicky is still so valauble to us. His pace and driving runs gets us into many good attacking positions.

Good to see Walcott and Ozil among the goals. Will do their confidence good as we need them for the season onwards.

Flamini and Monreal at fault for the goals.

Ramsey needs to improve still.

Chuba looked lively and promising. Good positive play from him when he came on. Might have been a tad too eagerr at times, but still did good.

So we're onto the 5th round in the Cup which we're the current holders. The road to back-to-back titles looks slightly more bright with the losses that some of the other big guns suffered y'day. Some people would say we're favourites now along with United. But let's take it one game at a time. And hope we avoid Stoke or United away in the draws.

El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Well summed up Jay! Thumbs up

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Excellent write-up, Jay. Hopefully United and Liverpool draw each other or lose their replays and leave us as clear favorites but we've got a long way until the final anyway.

Good recent form from the team, should extend it against Villa.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:21 pm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:50 pm

srigooner wrote:

I'm convinced he's a glitch in the matrix.

Commentator was saying he was bugging Wenger all match to let him on. Either that or he was begging him to take Flamini off.

Maybe both hmm
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:56 pm

Heard that too.. I can't find words for Alexis anymore.. What a player.. Makes you wonder how far he'd go with us..

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:11 pm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:13 pm

Speaking afterwards, the Arsenal manager was full of praise for the 34 year old, saying, “He was wonderful. A player we all love. If you love football, you love Rosicky.

“On top of that he’s a fantastic character, scored and I’m very pleased for him.”

“With yesterday’s results you would be a bit cautious. The cup is the cup – what you want is to focus on the next round to go through.

“We have a good experience from last season to know that every round is difficult. The most difficult games were not especially the expected ones last season, so let’s wait for the draw.

“Of course we’ll fight and we want to retain our cup but there’s too long to go.”

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/01/wenger-if-you-love-football-you-love-tomas-rosicky/

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:12 pm

Philip Neville: "I'd hate for my son to see that Tomas Rosicky no-look pass and try it. I would two-foot him [Rosicky] if he tried that on me!"

Translation: "I hate that Rosicky did something so utterly skillful that it makes me feel insecure about how technically deficient I am so I advocate breaking the rules to potentially injure him and any similarly ballsy players who dare try and exacerbate my inferiority complex with such displays of talent."

Even weirder when you see this tweet from him during the B&HA game: https://twitter.com/fizzer18/status/559386592859930624
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:37 pm

He's getting slaughtered for that and rightly so. It's the typical ex-player bravado exhibited by many ex-players that played in the 90s and early 2000s where they champion being hard-working, tough and generally being a knob on the pitch and discredit anything inventive or creative.

The only thing stupider than that is TV companies allowing these guys to appear on national television so they can air their opinions freely.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:41 am

Rosicky, What a player wonderful performance. I cant believe he is 34, runs better than most 24 year old. Good win but we should have done better, lets hope for a easy draw next round.

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:42 am

Philip Neville: "I'd hate for my son to see that Tomas Rosicky no-look pass and try it. I would two-foot him [Rosicky] if he tried that on me!"

Brighton & Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal South-Park-Characters-south-park-9501107-208-273Brighton & Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZHvxUBTSYhJX6EuTUn1_9gfV5qsi-5nP77QK901UHPynuc2f7ng
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:42 am

Spot on Jay.. what a stupid thing to say..

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:07 am

Ohh Phil...why can't you be more sensible like your older bro Laughing

Everything's been said that needs to be said of the performance. Me personally, I'm just happy we scored some goals and went through to the other round.

Now watch Cambridge KO United at OT Laughing
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:09 am

Rev wrote:
Now watch Cambridge KO United at OT Laughing

Now you've jinxed it :/

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:10 am

I believe our performance was good and there was room to score more goals with the chances we created.

That's twice in a week, where we have won 2 away games, that AW's lamented not scoring more. Not sure if we should applaud or laugh. hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:27 am

Phil Neville has boyband highlights. His son probably thinks he's a clown as well.

If you guys are interested, I'm starting a Kickstarter campaign to raise money to send me to England to deliver a no-look two-footer to the less relevant Neville.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:14 am

Wait I thought we were talking about some other idea for a Kickstarter campaign hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:31 am

MJ has more Kickstarter campaigns than we can imagine but the nEVILLe one needs to be realised first and foremost imho :coffee:
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:48 am

Another good result.

Going forward we look very threatening at the moment. The likes of Alexis, Giroud, Cazorla and Rosicky are all in good form, whist Ramsey is slowly getting back to a good level.

One disappointment was obviously the two goals that we conceded - I don't think Szczesny or Koscielny covered themselves in glory.

With Ozil & Walcott back, Wilshere & Welbeck not far away and Gabriel coming in, we are looking set for a strong second half of the season.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Welbeck is only a week away right? I guess he should be fit for NLD?

Also, has there been any news on Wilshere Sam? hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:42 pm

srigooner wrote:Wait I thought we were talking about some other idea for a Kickstarter campaign hmm

I'm actually in the midst of forming a Kickstarter campaign to come up with the funds to host an intervention for my Kickstarting habit.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:43 pm

srigooner wrote:Welbeck is only a week away right? I guess he should be fit for NLD?

Also, has there been any news on Wilshere Sam? hmm

Wenger "If Jack has no setback instead of being back the end of February, he could be back in mid-February."

So end of February it is. Very Happy
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next