Twoism
EL Patron
RealGunner
Jay29
11 posters

Go down

Arsenal 1 - 0 Southampton Empty Arsenal 1 - 0 Southampton

Post by Jay29 Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:02 pm

That was hardly the most exciting of games. Southampton came with the ideal away-day tactics of staying solid and trying to hit the home team on the counter and for a long time it worked well for them. Arsenal struggled to get it going and only showed occasional flashes of what they can do going forward, and on those occasions they found Fraser Forster to be in very good form.

This was not so much a tactical thing. With only one change from the weekend, it was inevitable that the team might not look as sharp as they could be. The same could be said about Southampton. It was a game that lacked any real tempo; even Alexis looked tired a yard slower than usual. Perhaps the only thing Arsenal could have done different tactically would be to get Monreal and Chambers more involved going forward, but again, they played more conservatively, and that was probably for the best, knowing that Southampton can be a potent counter attacking team.

The game wasn't totally without chances. Pelle had a good chance after some clever interplay with Davis, but fortunately he blasted over; I shudder to think how the game would have gone had Southampton taken the lead. Welbeck was played in by Cazorla, but he made a mess of his finish - I think he should have rounded the keeper - and, in the second half, Forster denied Welbeck again and got in the way of two Giroud efforts.

It looked like it would end 0-0, with both sides defending very well - I thought Koscielny was outstanding - and both keepers completely unflustered by anything that came their way; Emi Martinez, in particular, was very good when catching crosses. Towards the end, though, Arsenal exerted more pressure on Southampton and, eventually, that pressure told. Giroud did well to get a shot away in the box which clearly hit the Soton defender's hand. The penalty wasn't given, but fortunately the ball found its way to Ramsey, who cut it back to Alexis for a tap-in.

So not the most exciting of performances. I thought Ramsey had a poor game despite his assist, and Alexis is beginning to look tired. I must admit I was confused as to why Wenger subbed Welbeck off when Alexis hadn't been in the game. With the hectic Christmas schedule coming up, Alexis will need to have a break somewhere before he picks up an injury.

Nonetheless, it's a vital win. Three in a row in all comps now, with three clean sheets to go with them. We're playing a more cautious style that's taking away from our attacking play a bit, but that's fine since we're getting the points and with a tough run coming up we need any sort of momentum we can get. Stoke on Saturday will be another tough game, but a win there could well be the start of a good period of form.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 1 - 0 Southampton Empty Re: Arsenal 1 - 0 Southampton

Post by RealGunner Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Three wins in a row. This is great for the confidence.

Nothing more to add to what Jay said really. Hard fought win. Should have scored more but Forster turned into prime Seaman as GK usually do against us.

Giroud was the game changer. His presence is great upfront.

Sanchez ended up with another winner. But Jay is right that he is getting tired now. With his work rate, he won't last long unless he is given a good rest.

Martinez impressed a little more in his 3rd game in a row. 3rd clean sheet too. Loved that commanding catch from the freekick.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Is Martinez actually legit or he is just another Vito hmm
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm feeling confident with Martinez in goal right now, whereas I never felt confident with Mannone. Mannone could make great saves, but was always jittery and error prone, while Martinez looks composed and in control. The loan at Sheffield Wednesday has clearly done him a lot of good.

Whether he's good enough in the long term we won't know until he gets a long run of games, but he's deputised very well these last three games. It does help, of course, that the defence has been a lot better in that time as well.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:18 pm

Szczesny shouldn't go straight back in imo.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:24 pm

Nothing to add to great sumary by Jay, some of the things for up coming games

- Sanchez needs rest immediately, there was a moment he chased down Mane and completely stopped, kneel down and brealth, not a good sign.

- As long as Flamini plays, our build up will be disjointed and started up from our wing backs. I thought Wynmana ha great game, he handled our mid well, possible name to look at.

- Selection headache once Debuchy back. Chambers really established himself after thay disaster against Swansea.

- Giroud as impact sub worked well this season, a bit of rest did a man wonder. Hope Sanchez get some rest too

- Podolski needs to start next game to rest Sanchez.

Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:25 pm

We will find out how good he is against Stoke, so far he has been barely tested because the defense has been very good. As for the game itself we looked a bit tired especially OX and Sanchez. In these sort of games, 3 points over performance to be honest. We looked Toothless until Giroud came on, he bought us his presence in the box and link up play. The defense is getting stronger and stronger, will be interesting to see whether Chez gets his place back when he recovers from injuries.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Some spine in the team, with Arteta in this game we'd have won more comfortably imo, as Twoism said, Flamini doesn't build the game up the same way.

Emi Martinez, simple and solid, he's done a job.

Twoism wrote:
- Selection headache once Debuchy back. Chambers really established himself after that disaster against Swansea.

Should be happy the selection headache isn't between Hayden and Steve Bould.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:47 pm

RealGunner wrote:Szczesny shouldn't go straight back in imo.

+1
Till Martinez starts fumbling stuff and making errors he can be replaced, but for now he should stay in the team. He looks good and confident and can only get better imo.

Obviously things didn't go ideally today, but we pushed on right thru until the end and got the goal. 3 on the trot now, this could be the run we were talking about.

Come on Arsenal!
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:57 pm

but what happens when all the 3 goalies are fit hmm
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Back from the emirates, possibly the most flat performance I've ever watched live from an Arsenal team.

Ramsey had a poor game as did Welbeck, Kos was a beast as usual, Chambers solid.

And Alexis did look tired, Carzola with another solid performance.

I thought the game changed when Giroud came on and swung in our favour with the introduction of Podolski.

Hard fought win and another clean sheet and on a plus note Alexis has scored every time I have been at the emirates this season cheers

Electric Sanchez, I love that guy
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:14 pm

Knowing Wenger, it will be in order.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Yeah I think Alexis should get rested from the outset of the next game. Can, and should, only partake if we find it hard to score/beat Stoke.

Hopefully starting with Podolski and Giroud will bring some renewed energy into our play. But, still even with that I can't see us breaking down Stoke without some energy coming from the midfield. Ramsey needs to step up or maybe then Rosicky should start. Far cry though, since he has been non-existent so far this season.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:18 pm

I am not even a lady but I want to have Alexis' children. What a player. What a signing he's been. He does deserve a little rest though.

Santi has another solid match. Happy he is rediscovering form and purpose.

Last edited by Chumlum on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:33 pm

encouraging our defensive performance is improving

Ramsey with Sign of a Quality player again
not so good by his standards but still made major impact with that Assist

Happy with Martinez so far
next game could be different though

Yaya should start vs Stoke :coffee:

actually watched Stoke games vs Utd &Saints and hopefully we finally get a result in there!

7 - Arsenal have scored seven goals in the final five minutes of Premier League games in 2014-15; more than any other side. Drama. banana
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Huge win, what along game glad we got the 3 points, not sure how Welbeck didn't score today. Got to love Sanchez even though look tired was at the right place and right time to score the winner.
Martinez looks a better keeper than Szczęsny right now, we should not drop him.

I know the results matter but we really should be doing a lot better at home. Ramsey had a terrible game but that was a nice assist.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:20 am

good result. gives us a chance to jump utd this weekend against stoke.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum