Kaladin
Lex
Carrickature
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who will drop out of the top 4 Empty Who will drop out of the top 4

Post by Carrickature Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:54 pm

In my video blog this week I discuss who will miss out on the Champions League this season. Already it's packing up quite tightly with only 2 points separating United, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and Spurs.

For me United are guaranteed top 4 with Chelsea and City. With the players they've bought in and LVG starting to find some fluidity the points will start to come. Plus they have no European distractions.

That leaves Liverpool or Arsenal missing out.

Many people will say Arsenal but that's happening for the last few years and they've always managed fourth. Does that mean Liverpool will miss out? Personally I think they've been found out a bit and much will depend on how Balotelli fits in and if Sturridge and Sterling can stay fit. If any of those three factors fail then Liverpool should be the ones to miss out.
Carrickature
Carrickature
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Who will drop out of the top 4 Empty Re: Who will drop out of the top 4

Post by Lex Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Personally, I feel United are too top heavy to break in the top 4. Yeah, they have some marquee attackers. but a combination of Evans, Smalling, Blackett(?) and Jones at the back hardly raises a boner among neutrals
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:12 pm

It's tough to call quite early on in the season, but if i'd take a wild guess, it'd be Pool. I agree that much depends on SBS, but i think Pool's bench shouldn't be undervalued. Markovic, while i haven't seen him, will look to prove his worth. Coutinho and Lallana can be enough to to pull them through. Much also depends on how Brendan wants to replace Suarez's individual quality.

Arsenal will have to step up their game, while United will look to avoid last season's shortcomings. City and Chelsea are guaranteed the top 2. So it's going to be a dog-fight between 3 teams for 2 spots.

(btw your vids :bow:)
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrickature Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:14 pm

I definitely think it will be a close run thing.

All five of them have too much quality to fall away as badly as United did under Moyes last year. But ultimately I think it will be between Arsenal and Liverpool. If Liverpool can get some momentum like last year and keep the key players up top fit then they could do it. I think Gerrard is on the wane too though so it depends who can come in and do his job effectively when he's not playing.
Carrickature
Carrickature
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:16 pm

I don't think we're guaranteed top 4. The circumstances we're in (no midweek European commitments, a competent manager, some top class signings) should give us a boost over our top 4 rivals, but it is by no means guaranteed, imo.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Arsenal at this rate
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Chelsea and City are locks for the top 4.  Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal will fight it out for the last 2 spots.  In terms of talent, Man U is by far the most talented of the 3... has several difference makers.  Arsenal has more difference makers than Liverpool with Ozil, Sanchez, Ramsey and Cazorla.  Liverpool will rely on teamwork since they are the least talented of the 5.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:32 pm

I think it might be Arsenal's year. I really thought they'd have a strong team this season but they look really out of sorts. It's too early to tell really because even at the winter transfer window things can change drastically with the introduction of a player or two.

If I had to guess I'd say Arsenal though.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrickature Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:22 pm

If and when Arsenal drop out they will only have Wenger and their transfer policy to blame.

Turning down Fabregas will haunt Wenger for the rest of his days and whilst Welbeck will do ok at Arsenal why they haven't gone out and bought that Benzema type that they've needed since Henry left is baffling.
Carrickature
Carrickature
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Arsenal never drop out. They will play chit until 30th matchday and then win the last 8 games of the season to just about make 4h. They are the rich man's version of that one team that becomes the best team in the world at the end of every season and avoids relegation just about. Martinez' old team. Fss, forgot the name.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by nadinkrah Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:30 pm

tbh, don't count Everton out
nadinkrah
nadinkrah
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Fußball wrote:Arsenal never drop out. They will play chit until 30th matchday and then win the last 8 games of the season to just about make 4h. They are the rich man's version of that one team that becomes the best team in the world at the end of every season and avoids relegation just about. Martinez' old team. Fss, forgot the name.

Some day they will drop out.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:58 pm

Sadly yea. We really rode our luck in the last 5 years, pipping teams just by a point or so at times.

I am hopeful we can sort our shit together and go on a rampage but atm we have like 1 win in last 8 or something.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:36 am

Wigan was the name.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:45 am

Mark, I'm pretty sure Man Utd will not drop out of top 4, since they aren't in it to begin with hmm
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:52 am

Fußball wrote:Wigan was the name.

Yes and eventually their luck ran out. Laughing

Anyways as for OT I don't think anybody will drop out of the top 4. Especially not us. People once again underestimate us Proud

Sturridge and Allen should be back after this West Ham match, thank the football gods, so we'll be back on track. And hopefully Emre and Flanno not too long after the next international break.

These injuries exposed us way too quick for my liking. So If United are sitting here and keep saying that they'll improve when everyone is fit well same goes for Liverpool and Arsenal.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:34 am

Liverpool to me has weakened and should be the one out.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:17 am

BarcaLearning wrote:Liverpool to me has weakened and should be the one out.

Not the best choice of words there. Makes it sound like the other teams have some sort of divine right to the top 4 and we must bow down to them and drop out.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:55 am

If Man Utd were to lose one CB (Jones for example) and one CM (lets say Herrera) for a long period of time then they've got Fletcher at CM and a young CB whose out of his depth starting every game. Irrespective of the great attackers they have, that could be enough to make them trash again.

Honestly too, what have Utd done other then bring in Di Maria and Falcao to make people think they're top four quality? Beating QPR at home is by no means a great acheivment, remember, those balls ups v Burnley and MK Dons were only a few weeks ago.

As has been said earlier, the only certainties for top four this season are Chelsea and City (who im quite certain will finish first and second), imo (assuming Balotelli finds his feet) it will come down to Arsenal and Utd for fourth place.
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:56 am

all of them

aston villa, swansea, southampton & tottenham to take the reign

(i hope so)

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrickature Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:09 am

Saying United have only added Falcao and Di Maria to a side that was awful against Burnley is very naïve.

Anyone who knows their football will see that the key change has been the balance in midfield Blind, Mata, Herrera have brought. That's the key and the reason they could prosper this season. Because with those three and Carrick to come back if one gets injured, they have the players to link the defence and attack quickly and put the opposition on the back foot.

Carrickature
Carrickature
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:18 am

"You can't escape your fate." - somebody on some tv show

Arsenals fate = Top 4

Haven't people learnt this basic fact of life yet?
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:10 am

Lets not forget United also played a formation with too many defenders in those games. Their change in fortune could be due to the formation change just as much as the opposition being crap. But yeah I agree they are an injury to a CM/CB away from becoming mediocre again. If Van Gaal handles his rotations well there is no reason for the players to get injured. Apart from Smalling, Rafael and RVP there isn't a single injury prone player in there I believe.

Liverpool chose quantity over quality which will come back to bite them imo

Top two is between City and Chelsea but the other two is between 3 teams United, Arsenal and Liverpool. Honestly I think Arsenal will limp to fourth this season too so it's between Liverpool and United for the third spot, and honestly it's too early to tell right now. Let's see how United deal with Leicester first which is their first big test of the season with all their new players
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrickature Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:49 pm

I think Liverpool will do ok. They were exceptional last year and you don't lose that DNA overnight.

However, Balotelli is a concern. His goal stats are poor when you take away pens and his assist stats are awful. He's also not a team player.

Yes, Rodgers portrays himself as someone who gets the most out of lost causes but for me this is another big problem Liverpool have - Rodgers ego.

They SHOULD have won the league last year. Instead of taking a very easy point at home to Chelsea he went out gung ho. A fantastic winning streak to put themselves in contention but at the key moment Rodgers messed it up and let his arrogance get ahead of him.

Last week he was at it again. Sturridge and Sterling are crucial to how Liverpool play. He couldn't do anything about the Sturridge injury but resting Sterling was criminal and they lost 3 points for that as well.

Finally the large amount of signings they've made don't strike me as value for money. They spent nearly 150 million and didn't bring in one player that makes you think that's going to improve them.

Like I say, I think they'll do well but they're going to have their work cut out to make top 4 again and it will require another big effort.
Carrickature
Carrickature
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:09 pm

It will depend on the success/failure of the January transfer window. Until then the usual suspects will be somewhat within the close vicinity separated by not many, albeit Chelsea may be who would have run away with the title by then.
All the others I repeat all the others City included will be battling for the next best spot at that time. So if someone add a good player in the winter window its going to have a huge bearing come the business end or even before that.

So Will be only able to give a clear cut answer on February 1 I believe. But now if you insist I will vaguely put it as
1.Chelsea
2.Man C
3.Liver
4.Man U Ars tied on points with the former edging on GD.

So the Gunners yea.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next