How bad will Alonso be missed in the CL final?

+10
zigra
McAgger
Onyx
Lupi
VanDeezNuts
izzy
DeletedUser#1
EarlyPrototype
The_Badger
Guiltybystander
14 posters

Go down

How bad will Alonso be missed in the CL final? Empty How bad will Alonso be missed in the CL final?

Post by Guiltybystander Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:06 pm

I am so bummed. Admittedly, I have always been a big fanboy (as many know), but he is clearly a very important beacon for the team.

Madrid also doesn't have a clear direct replacement (Khedira or Illara come to mind, or a whole new strategy altogether).

So unnecessary.
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

How bad will Alonso be missed in the CL final? Empty Re: How bad will Alonso be missed in the CL final?

Post by The_Badger Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:08 pm

It's sad, because he and Ancelotti are the only likeable things about Real Madrid, and if they do go on to win, it would have been great for him to play a part in the final.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

How bad will Alonso be missed in the CL final? Empty Re: How bad will Alonso be missed in the CL final?

Post by Guiltybystander Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:09 pm

Yeah, I am so sad- this was most likely his last CL final.
Maybe if they make it again next year. But still.

Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:11 pm

Guiltybystander wrote:I am so bummed. Admittedly, I have always been a big fanboy (as many know), but he is clearly a very important beacon for the team.

Madrid also doesn't have a clear direct replacement (Khedira or Illara come to mind, or a whole new strategy altogether).

So unnecessary.

Depends on who we play. Could be a blessing in disguise if we play Atletico. He can't handle the pressure they put on him.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:11 pm

The_Badger wrote:It's sad, because he and Ancelotti are the only likeable things about Real Madrid, and if they do go on to win, it would have been great for him to play a part in the final.

erm, mate.

How bad will Alonso be missed in the CL final? Iker-Casillas

How bad will Alonso be missed in the CL final? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHD1JvtkciuOBVpYNyphvr463g5AYc8E_OQdn1vofljxFDh_DI

How bad will Alonso be missed in the CL final? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuE9a_d_nEMrAYBoNaxjRyKj2jhHpyDftaU1oq93VjPqIY2d1f

just a few examples....

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:14 pm

Depends who we play tbh.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:24 pm

I think regardless of who they play he will be sorely missed.

In a final as big as La Decima, you need a player with the leadership and discipline that Xabi brings to the midfield.

His possible replacements (Illarra, Khedira, Isco, Varane even) are all great players in their own way but none have dealt with the pressure of a final this big. Not having Xabi is a massive liability not matter how you look at it.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupi Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Very Happy pairing of illarramendi-isco will do just fine, not to take anything away from Alonso but that might prove to be beneficial for Madrid specially if they face chelsea  hmm 
Lupi
Lupi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:28 pm

vanDEEZ wrote:I think regardless of who they play he will be sorely missed.

In a final as big as La Decima, you need a player with the leadership and discipline that Xabi brings to the midfield.

His possible replacements (Illarra, Khedira, Isco, Varane even) are all great players in their own way but none have dealt with the pressure of a final this big.  Not having Xabi is a massive liability not matter how you look at it.  

I agree with you completely- he is really missed in any match. Only good thing is that Madrid won't have to face the strongest team ever (no hate against Chelsea or Atleti- and I know Madrid don't always win against them!!!), not having him against a team like Bayern would have been worse, imo. For example, I think he was the best player in last week's match again Bayern, and that we would have seen a very different outcome without him.

We'll see.
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:35 pm

Alonso may not do well against certain teams, but he's certainly a better option compared to who we have on the bench to replace him. This season Alonso's been a crucial and integral part of the team. He holds the midfield well and he has a big game presence about him. Modric covers his weaknesses in terms of attack, which is why I've started to appreciate Alonso this season. Under Mourinho he and Khedira just couldn't control any midfield, which is why I don't think he was as effective. However we've found the perfect combination with Modric and Alonso.

In terms of who would replace him, it has to be between Khedira and Illarra. Khedira lacks match fitness however, so it might be a bit overwhelming.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:52 pm

He'll be replaced by Illaramendi or Khedira. So I'm gonna say he's going to be missed a lot since the other two are terrible scrubs.

Alonso my favorite Madridista Sad It was a very idiotic challenge tbh
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:55 pm

I don't know about Real Madird but I will miss him a lot  Crying or Very sad 
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:08 am

Illarra can fill his role perfectly tbh, it's not that big of a loss though, they're both great players. Hope Khedira doesn't play though, is he even ready? Laughing
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:18 am

Well if we make it to the final, we won't have Matic. So there's that.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:41 am

EarlyPrototype wrote:
Guiltybystander wrote:I am so bummed. Admittedly, I have always been a big fanboy (as many know), but he is clearly a very important beacon for the team.

So unnecessary.

Depends on who we play. Could be a blessing in disguise if we play Atletico. He can't handle the pressure they put on him.

This. The only thing Atleti know is to press Alonso and they somehow always get the worst out of him so playing without him against thrm will be a blessing in disguise. Imagine Simeone clueless on how to stop us because his only target is suspended Laughing

Chelsea on the other hand sit deep so we could have used his long range passing ability to switch wings quickly during the game but knowing Mou he probably would've deployed the same tactics as Atleti seeing how thats how teams stopped us last season

I don't understand people worrying about Illarra, he is not a kid and was bought to replace Alonso. Granted he had a game to forget against Dortmund but last time he was thrown into the deep end (against Barca) he did an excellent job. I have no doubts at all he will be able adequately replace Alonso. We are sorely going to miss Alonso's leadership though because without him there is noone to tell Ramos to stop bring reckless for ex or reminding Pepe/Ramos to mark their players during set pieces and corners but knowing the occasions the players must be really motivated regardless
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:40 pm

yeah people are taking the bvb game too far imo, illarra had a bad game but so did the team, he is a pretty good player and the team is more settled now, so he can play a bit more relaxed and knowing what his role will be, as far as defensive contributions goes illarra>xabi imo, he tackles better and recovers faster, its what he does in possession that raises question mark but that more with him not being settled kinda like how modric was.
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down