McAgger
Red Alert
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Skrtel and/or Agger Empty Skrtel and/or Agger

Post by Red Alert Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:51 pm

One of them has to go.

It's as simple as that. They're both so very average lately and let's be honest, have been for a while. And for a while, I mean YEARS. They're both living on hype since Rafa's days. That was 4 years ago now! They did well under Dalglish but that was because we played DEEP as a team and actually had a defensive coach in Steve Clarke at the club but even then, we never looked forward. It was pretty much a 451 with Suarez uptop and that was it. We play different to that now.

Have to give credit for Skrtel this season, as he's been our best CB but let's be real, the standard/bar to the best isn't high.

They're (Skragger) both on first team wages, but they're at the playing level of the 3rd defender.

We simply need to build the defence around Sakho. Sell one of Agger/Skrtel and bring another top class CB in. Maybe Papadapolous if he's available.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Skrtel and/or Agger Empty Re: Skrtel and/or Agger

Post by McAgger Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Get rid of both of them for all I care.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Skrtel.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Both of them are awful. They've been holding us back all these years.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:47 am

^ Exactly. It's not just one of them, it's BOTH.

Skrtel's better defensively out of the two, Agger is the better "ball player" and the vice captain of the squad.

I'm not sure which one will be sold, but one of them HAS to be gone in the summer.

It's not even knee jerk. We've overrated them to no end, and they're not even that good.

Does anyone know how Papadapolous is going this season after his knee recovery? I think he'd be the best CB to compliment Sakho in today's game right now.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:42 am

McAgger wrote:Get rid of both of them for all I care.

Is this sarcasm?  Suspect 
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:01 am

Getting rid of both in one summer wouldn't be wise, imo. But selling one might be a good move, because we don't really need them both any longer - and they're both 29, we could still get a sizeable fee for either of them if the right club becomes interested. In a year or two their value is likely to drop.

I would keep Skrtel. He has just demonstrated more consistency for me and is more aggressive of the two. He's got a better defensive mind-set while Agger sometimes looks like a midfielder who became a CB because of his height. Both have been great players for the club and I hope one of them will keep on being that. My preferred CB pair for next season would be Skrtel & Sakho.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:24 am

I'd like to see Skrtel and Sakho from now until the end of the season and we get a better CB in.

Skrtel as good as he's been this season, still makes mistakes that can be prevented if we get better quality in.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:45 am

well this is getting sick really...such a shocking defensive performance I hope BR realises this soon because we have already paid price for that in this season few times and we need to do something about it. Yeah and as RA said, in this season we could do with Skrtel and Sakho, next season I do not know because I have started doubting the defensive coaching ability of BR and his staff

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:53 pm

We have been conceding a little too much, but I wouldn't jump to too big conclusions. Like, against Swansea, Shelvey's goal was good, but the other two, we let their striker and good header of the ball go unmarked, that should be easy to prevent in the future. The third goal a penalty that most of the time doesn't get given. Add also Toure's two calamities from recent games and that's two even more "freak" goals we've conceded. And these freak goals just happen, it's not necessarily because of poor defence as such. Just need better concentration and that's something like 15% of our conceded goals wiped off.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Skrtel has played pretty well this season, although he has had some dodgy games.

Better player than Agger for me.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:31 pm

Yeah this season agreed, Abra.

Skrtel Sakho should be given a shot considering BR has tried everything else already.

Even if it goes wrong, We'll probably outscore and win anyways :coffee:
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:17 pm

Red Alert wrote:

Is this sarcasm?  Suspect 

No sarcasm. I always want best for the club first and foremost and I'm under no illusion that these two are nowhere near the level we want our CBs to be. As least the last two seasons.

I love Agger and I even love Skrtel but there is no way in hell I want either of them starting for us next season in CL.

Buy a RCB this summer. It's a must. Would love Papa if his injuries are well behind him. But we MUST MUST MUST get a RCB. Someone who complements Sakho would be even better.

PS. Still though Agger > Skrtel :coffee:
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:27 pm

We didn't try Sakho-Agger yet.
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:56 am

Nishank wrote:Yeah this season agreed, Abra.

Skrtel Sakho should be given a shot considering BR has tried everything else already.

Even if it goes wrong, We'll probably outscore and win anyways :coffee:

Skrtel and Sakho have been tried. They've played in 5 consecutive games together, keeping a clean sheet and conceding 6 but they actually looked solid together.
(West Ham 4-1 win, Spurs 5-0 win , City 2-1 loss, Chelsea 2-1 loss, Cardiff 3-1 win)

Then Sakho pulled his hamstring. Sad

BusterLfc wrote:We didn't try Sakho-Agger yet.

Won't work.

McAgger wrote:
Red Alert wrote:

Is this sarcasm? Suspect

No sarcasm. I always want best for the club first and foremost and I'm under no illusion that these two are nowhere near the level we want our CBs to be. As least the last two seasons.

I love Agger and I even love Skrtel but there is no way in hell I want either of them starting for us next season in CL.

Buy a RCB this summer. It's a must. Would love Papa if his injuries are well behind him. But we MUST MUST MUST get a RCB. Someone who complements Sakho would be even better.

PS. Still though Agger > Skrtel :coffee:

GUYS, DID I BREAK MCAGGER? Suspect

Interesting that you say Agger hasn't been to scratch for the last 2 seasons yet criticized when I said he was on the decline/not good enough. hmm

PS. No. Skrtel > Agger. :coffee:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:05 am

read that Opta has Skrtel down for the most defensive combined stats (interceptions, blocks, tackles) than any other CB this year in the Premier League

If he wasn't at fault for so many goals this season, he would of been good enough to start next season... but I can't see him changing his ways. Sad
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:26 pm

We should put Sakho as a starter always and rotate Skrtel and Agger on the other CB stop.
But if we really ought to get a new CB my vote goes to Papadopoulos or Garay and I say we keep Skrtel and Agger as backups and get rid of Kolo. They are loyal, together they have 14 years in Liverpool, and remember Agger's tatts and when he said that he'll leave only if the club wants him to.

And don't say Sakho-Agger won't work out when you didn't see them play together.
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:20 pm

Skrtel and Agger as backups and get rid of Kolo.

and what do we do with Coates & Ilori!!!
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:46 pm

BusterLfc wrote:We should put Sakho as a starter always and rotate Skrtel and Agger on the other CB stop.
But if we really ought to get a new CB my vote goes to Papadopoulos or Garay and I say we keep Skrtel and Agger as backups and get rid of Kolo. They are loyal, together they have 14 years in Liverpool, and remember Agger's tatts and when he said that he'll leave only if the club wants him to.

And don't say Sakho-Agger won't work out when you didn't see them play together.

There's no getting rid of Kolo until his contract expires, no one would take him, and we knew this when he was given a two-year deal. We committed to that. He'll be here next season. Also, realistically speaking, I'm 90% sure Skrtel will be at the club next season, too, because he appears to be ahead of Agger and Kolo in Rodgers' ranking and I just can't see us getting rid of both of them in the summer. If I had to put money on it right now, I'd wager that we won't be buying a CB.

iftikhar wrote:
Skrtel and Agger as backups and get rid of Kolo.

and what do we do with Coates & Ilori!!!

Coates is probably gone if we find a club willing to take him - if not, then on a loan. If we sell a CB in the summer, Ilori will probably become 4th choice (although Kelly or Wisdom could be that, too, imo).
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:18 am

BusterLfc wrote:We should put Sakho as a starter always and rotate Skrtel and Agger on the other CB stop.

Sakho and Skrtel should be played until the end of the season; they're the strongest duo right now.
Garay's a good shout actually. Heard some good stuff about him.
We can't afford to keep both of Agger and Skrtel as backups. They're on 90k a week! One of them has to be sold. (Not both!)

Sakho and Agger won't work because they're the same type of defender. They both operate on the left, both 'ball playing' CBs but Sakho is better because not only can he intercept / read the game as good as Agger, he's better built physically so doesn't get exploited by stronger forwards upfront. He also doesn't head the ball back into dangerous positions, and actually clears the ball.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:38 am

Garay is a LCB. He's left footed. It'll put Rodgers in the same stupid conundrum that he has now with Sakho and Agger.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:43 am

Oh. Clearly I haven't heard enough/seen enough about him. Laughing
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:38 am

well I know Sakho has some good stats to his name and he has been more/less solid many times. Also some times nervous and misplaced passes or , just imagine Illori or Wisdom doing such mistakes and the amount of stick he will get. In the end I just want to say, I dont think we can expect Sakho to be saviour of our crumbling defense, we need to improve it by coaching or something, I dont know what. Also, sometimes I think why Carra doesnt take some sessions for BR or be with the team in the training for like 2 times in a week or something, that should be really helpful.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:18 pm

I think that Agger will be gone this summer. It sucks because he's been so loyal, and he has been so good in the past but having watched him of late it just doesn't seem like he fits into Rodgers' plans. It's hard sometimes to draw the line between loyalty and success, but I think it is what's best for Liverpool in the short and long term (as long as they can bring in some talent).
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:09 pm

McAgger wrote:Garay is a LCB. He's left footed. It'll put Rodgers in the same stupid conundrum that he has now with Sakho and Agger.

Garay is right footed and a quality CB. I'd love if we manage to get him. I think Sakho-Garay would work perfectly.
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next