Wenger - Pep Barcelona side better than Bayern Munich

+4
BarrileteCosmico
Lex
fatman123
Winter is Coming
8 posters

Go down

Wenger - Pep Barcelona side better than Bayern Munich Empty Wenger - Pep Barcelona side better than Bayern Munich

Post by Winter is Coming 19/2/2014, 03:24

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has suggested the Bayern Munich class of 2014 are no match for Barcelona team Pep Guardiola guided to Champions League success on two occasions.

Wenger's Gunners were beaten by the Barcelona side who reigned as European champions in 2009 and 2011 as well as the Bayern Munich team that won the biggest prize in European club football last season, but he is clear which of the two teams impressed him most.

Ahead of his re-match with a Bayern side now led by ex-Barca coach Guardiola, Wenger has offered up a fascinating comparison of the two teams that have dominated the European game in recent years.

"I was most impressed by the Barcelona team at the peak, through the speed of their passing and the speed of their game," Wenger told reporters.

"The first time we played them at the Emirates (March 2010), the first half an hour was the best I've seen. Hopefully I will not have the same impression on Wednesday night. Until now, in my experience, in my life, that's the best team I've played against."

Arsenal held on to draw 2-2 with the Catalans in the Champions League quarter-final first leg that Wenger refers to, before being eliminated 6-3 on aggregate following a 4-1 loss at the Nou Camp, in which Lionel Messi scored all four goals.

Speaking before Barcelona's impressive display against Manchester City on Tuesday, Wenger suggested it would be wrong to write off Tata Martino's Spanish league leaders in this season's Champions League.

"They are not finished," was Wenger's verdict on Barcelona. "They still won the championship in Spain [last season] The consensus of opinion adapts always to the last result. I don't think they are finished.

"They have Neymar, Messi, they have [Cesc] Fabregas, [Andres] Iniesta. They are not average players. They are top-class players. They can surprise everybody again this season."

Meanwhile, Wenger suggested the Bayern side his team will face on Wednesday are not an improved model of the team that overcame Arsenal at the same stage of the Champions League a year ago.

"Last year they won the German league, the German Cup, the Champions League and the [Club] World Cup," he added. "How can they improve?

"Maybe in the style there is always room for improvement, but if they just do the same achievements this season they can say they have improved, because it's more difficult to do it again."
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Wenger - Pep Barcelona side better than Bayern Munich Empty Re: Wenger - Pep Barcelona side better than Bayern Munich

Post by fatman123 19/2/2014, 03:27

Nothing wrong with what hes said, that Barcelona team was one of the best ever. Although in his next few seasons with Bayern it will probably be the best chance Pep will ever have to better that Barca side
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Wenger - Pep Barcelona side better than Bayern Munich Empty Re: Wenger - Pep Barcelona side better than Bayern Munich

Post by Lex 19/2/2014, 03:28

I read the whole thing, word for word, and at no point during that interview did he say Barcelona are better than Bayern Laughing If anything, he heaped praise on both sides
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico 19/2/2014, 03:57

I think the title refers to "I was most impressed by Barcelona at their peak" but yeah, phrasing it like that is completely disingenuous.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans 19/2/2014, 09:59

I can live with that.
That first half was indeed spectacular.

Also don't forget that by saying that Wenger makes himself and his team look good, since the match ended 2:2 if I remember correctly Wink
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power 19/2/2014, 12:32

Well, the title sounds like a typical goal.com title ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by barca 2011 22/2/2014, 11:35

Well according to the article he's "suggested" that Bayern is "no match" but it's totally not what he said, again, according to the article.

I do like his "consensus of opinion" phrase though, very well said.
barca 2011
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx 22/2/2014, 15:20

Barca's pressing was much better, so was the possession, link up play and they had Messi. On the other hand Bayern are more versatile and not one dimensional. They can cross and mix it up have physicality and are better counter-attacking wiise. Overall I think Bayern can certainly reach Barca's level, but for now Barca under Pep are better.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power 22/2/2014, 15:55

Too bad we can never see Pep's Barca vs Pep's Bayern Sad
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx 22/2/2014, 15:59

Pep's Barca vs Pep's Bayern.  :wub: affraid 

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down