Why are professional footballers so uninterested in football?

+13
LeBéninois
BarcaLearning
rwo power
Bellabong
Busby Babe
Suarez99
Highburied
teamanarchy
andiii
Forza
The_Badger
Art Morte
17 posters

Go down

Why are professional footballers so uninterested in football? Empty Why are professional footballers so uninterested in football?

Post by Art Morte Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:31 am

At least that's the picture I've always gotten, that pro footballers care and even know very little about what's going on even in their own league, let alone in world football.

The obvious and also partly true explanation is that when you're involved in football as closely as the players are it becomes just a job for you, but I still find it a bit surprising how little many players know about anything that's going on in the sport. Like, Philippe Coutinho, just for an example, just said in an interview that "I remember Manchester United won the Premier League last season. That is as far back as I know (about the Premier League)."

Sure you get the occasional players who are passionate about football, like Gary Neville or Jamie Carragher, but so many of the professional players don't seem to care about the sport at all that I find it a little disappointing even.

What do you think?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Why are professional footballers so uninterested in football? Empty Re: Why are professional footballers so uninterested in football?

Post by The_Badger Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:18 am

Maybe Coutinho just doesn't have much interest in the Premier League.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Why are professional footballers so uninterested in football? Empty Re: Why are professional footballers so uninterested in football?

Post by Forza Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:19 am

The_Badger wrote:Maybe Coutinho just doesn't have much interest in the Premier League.
That's also the impression I got from the comment.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by andiii Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:45 am

hmm, there's only so many hours in the day and they train and play quite a lot so they do a lot of "football stuff" themselves. after 2,3,4 hours of football a day it's normal that the rest of their day won't be spent on more football. i love football but 4-5 hours of it a day is a lot. honestly after 2 back to back games that's enough for me to feel a bit sick of it myself
andiii
andiii
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by andiii Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:46 am

regarding coutinho i think in brazil a lot of people watch more serie a than epl too. pretty sure i remember him saying that
andiii
andiii
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by teamanarchy Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:58 am

One possible explanation is that players shy away from most media coverage of the game so that they don't engross themselves with the politics of the game...
Take Torres for example...
If, over the past couple seasons he were to read everything said in the media about him, he'd probably have hung himself by now...
teamanarchy
teamanarchy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ks16152913

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:09 pm

A couple seasons ago while we were being embarrassed (dont remember which opposition, there too many anway) . One of our younger players tweeted something about his new car or something and asked fans what do they think... Got eaten alive after that.

If someone remembers this shit pls remind us. Im really curious and it would prove Art's point even further.

Its a shame really but what can you do about it, greed is the weakest point at humans.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Suarez99 Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:12 pm

andiii wrote:hmm, there's only so many hours in the day and they train and play quite a lot so they do a lot of "football stuff" themselves. after 2,3,4 hours of football a day it's normal that the rest of their day won't be spent on more football. i love football but 4-5 hours of it a day is a lot. honestly after 2 back to back games that's enough for me to feel a bit sick of it myself
^^^This

There are exceptions in sports though. Mike Tyson is a passionate boxing fan who knows everything about his sport.

Btw Gary Neville is only 'passionate' about EPL, Carragher could tell you the Torino B team starting XI.
Suarez99
Suarez99
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:18 pm

^^^ Dat Man Utd bitterness. rofl

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:27 pm

Assou-Ekotto says he only sees it as a job. I'm not sure if he follows football.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/may/01/benoit-assou-ekotto-tottenham-hotspur
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:38 pm

Believe it or not a lot of footballers see it that way. Bi-Winning level is only really achieved with passion though.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by 1991 Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:44 pm

messi doesn't watch football much either
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm pretty sure after their experiences with reporters and other media people who interview them, they decide to stay away from all coverage as it is more often than not pretty brainless. ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:25 am

I do downder though how much of other teams football they watch. Im sure they know all about the development and state of other clubs especially their opponents in the algue or cups, they got staff doing just that and reports it.... so the footballers themselves dont have to spend much time themselves doing it.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:08 am

They spend a lot of time Playing football so i understand if they don't follow it as much as us for instance. They might watch the Big games but that's all imo. It's important to take his mind off football otherwise you're gonna get crazy or bored. Also they have a family.

By the way , i like BAE's outspokenness

LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:07 am

Some are involved in football because they have a talent and treat it like a job

But even those passionate about it can't follow it as much as fans do without putting just about every waking hour they have into it.

Imagine how little time a footballer would have to do 'their own thing' if they also followed all the comings & goings of football.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:31 am

It's a time issue, too, but most of us fans work or study and we still have time to sacrifice to football.

What I find perhaps the most weird about footballers being uninterested in the sport is that how come you've been so motivated to play football and train so hard since you were a kid if you at no stage developed any level of fandom towards the sport?

Also, I tend to like such footballers more who care about the sport in general rather than those who treat is only as a job and don't follow what's going on outside their own club & career.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:39 am

Even if your passionate about something, you need a break.

You can have your dream job and be passionate about it, but after your shift from that job is over, how many times do you go home and do your job (or related things) more? You spend time with your family, you have a different hobby... I don't think a lot of people bring work home with them even if they like their job.

I think that's how it is with footballers tbh. Then there are the ones that don't follow football...at all. Like BAE.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:54 am

Art Morte wrote:It's a time issue, too, but most of us fans work or study and we still have time to sacrifice to football.

What I find perhaps the most weird about footballers being uninterested in the sport is that how come you've been so motivated to play football and train so hard since you were a kid if you at no stage developed any level of fandom towards the sport?

Also, I tend to like such footballers more who care about the sport in general rather than those who treat is only as a job and don't follow what's going on outside their own club & career.
My best friend is a great footballer, he loves to train and he's played years of his life now. He likes the physical game on the field, he gets bored watching football on tv.

I loveplaying basketball, i like trainjng, practicing and olaying pickup games, i know next to nothing about NBA.

Also, if i had supermodels, fans, agents, the media and club people chasing me all day andif i were a millionaire and i had to constantly fret about who really likes me and who likes my fame and money, then maybe i too would have my mind on others things instead of watching football.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:07 am

My father used to work about 10-12 hours a day,he'd sleep for about 8 hours and had about 4-6 hours of free time every day.I'm pretty sure he wanted to work less(He couldn't though because he was the Boss)and Im also pretty sure he was pissed every time he was contacted about work in his free time.

I guess that's the case with footballers.All they do every week is play football that most of them they would just not rather be bothered with it in their free time.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down