Great Leader Sprucenuce
The Franchise
Arquitecto
Swanhends
DeletedUser#1
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Liga Sagres ahead of Ligue 1 (and SOON Serie A) in UEFA Coefficients Empty Liga Sagres ahead of Ligue 1 (and SOON Serie A) in UEFA Coefficients

Post by DeletedUser#1 Thu May 02, 2013 10:46 pm

and to think 12 months ago Italian fans were crying how its criminal Germany "STOLE" their 4th spot.

now France, the amazing league everyone on GL it is, is 6th, and Benfica can take Italy soon-ish too.

brb, shedding a tear for France and Italy. I can totally see Napeloen and Mussulini singing co-ed:

I had a dream my league would be
So different from this hell I'm watching
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.

Last edited by Harry Redknapp on Thu May 02, 2013 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Liga Sagres ahead of Ligue 1 (and SOON Serie A) in UEFA Coefficients Empty Re: Liga Sagres ahead of Ligue 1 (and SOON Serie A) in UEFA Coefficients

Post by Swanhends Thu May 02, 2013 10:48 pm

inb4 weak lineups
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Liga Sagres ahead of Ligue 1 (and SOON Serie A) in UEFA Coefficients Empty Re: Liga Sagres ahead of Ligue 1 (and SOON Serie A) in UEFA Coefficients

Post by Arquitecto Thu May 02, 2013 10:54 pm

Doesn't reflect the strength of any teams of leagues.

Benfica and Porto for 5 years have been padding within the Europa League while the top teams of Serie A and Ligue 1 aren't getting knocked out in UCL qualifications and actually facing relevant teams.

Such medieval formulae isn't the best to judge the progress and propensity of a league at all. Ligue 1 itself is far better than Portuguese league

Weak teams or not, no coincidence both Ligue 1 and Serie A treat the EL like an island of dogs.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu May 02, 2013 10:58 pm

Arquitecto wrote:Doesn't reflect the strength of any teams of leagues.

Benfica and Porto for 5 years have been padding within the Europa League while the top teams of Serie A and Ligue 1 aren't getting knocked out in UCL qualifications and actually facing relevant teams.

Such medieval formulae isn't the best to judge the progress and propensity of a league at all. Ligue 1 itself is far better than Portuguese league

Weak teams or not, no coincidence both Ligue 1 and Serie A treat the EL like an island of dogs.

Don't you think Benfica and Porto's image/status have only benefited from their recent EL performances though?

They are rightfully seizing an opportunity to expand their brand to an audience that might not get to see them otherwise, they shouldn't be blamed for that, its a smart move in more ways than one IMO
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu May 02, 2013 11:00 pm

Swanhends wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:Doesn't reflect the strength of any teams of leagues.

Don't you think Benfica and Porto's image/status have only benefited from their recent EL performances though?

They are rightfully seizing an opportunity to expand their brand to a new audience, they shouldn't be blamed for that, its a smart move in more ways than one

Bhends my friend don't put me in the same legion of fans who are outraged by this co-occurrence.

I am the one praising Deutschland and Portugal for their shrewd and diligent ways, & panning Serie A and Ligue 1 for disrespecting EL...you know...the competition I absolutely adore.

Never would I say they don't deserve it, yet it doesn't reflect disparities of League strengths and difference.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu May 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Arq wrote:Never would I say they don't deserve it, yet it doesn't reflect disparities of League strengths and difference.

Fair claim

On a slightly related note, this relates to something talked about in chat:

Could there be a correlation between a less congested schedule in Portugal and their success in EL?

Serie A's season is one week shorter than the Portuguese league's season, yet Portuguese teams only have to play 30 games in that time, while Italian teams have to play 38 hmm

If I had to point to 3 reasons behind Portuguese teams increased success in EL:
1) Excellent Scouting
2) Underrated Coaching
3) Less congested schedule? hmm

Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu May 02, 2013 11:16 pm

Porto and Benfica are strong teams, every once in a while a Braga or a Sporting (been a while) will also find a good level. But it isnt better than Ligue 1.

I guess the problem is mainly, many teams are quite offensive minded, and if you do that vs a better team you are bound to struggle defensively.

It also expands to the bigger 2 though too. They are offensive minded and even when they play vs better teams in the CL, they play offensively..so always struggle defensively. Bit of a cycle and the reason Porto won the CL was because Mou did it in a different way in the CL, they were defensive against the stronger teams.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu May 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Benfica are not that good tbh, If Cisse wasn't so terribly unlucky and know less about the offside rule than Inzaghi's new born child we would have knocked them out.

And everyone sees how bad we are Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Thu May 02, 2013 11:29 pm

Swanhends wrote:
Serie A's season is one week shorter than the Portuguese league's season, yet Portuguese teams only have to play 30 games in that time, while Italian teams have to play 38 hmm

If I had to point to 3 reasons behind Portuguese teams increased success in EL:
1) Excellent Scouting
2) Underrated Coaching
3) Less congested schedule? hmm

Bundesliga 34 match days and 30 day winter break hmm

#justice4laliga
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu May 02, 2013 11:39 pm

I think Benfica are good, they showed good spirit today...trust me, I dont like praising them lol

I didnt see them against you Mole, but I want to think it was more a one off thing. They are a good team.

Flawed no doubt, but good.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu May 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Bundesliga only has 18 teams tbf, would you want to make La Liga an 18 team league so you no longer have excuses why you lost hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Thu May 02, 2013 11:48 pm

tbf mole those are facts not excuses, and what about my other excuse fact? 30 days rest is a long time...
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by BAYERN_MUNICH Fri May 03, 2013 12:54 am

last year the winter break cost us the title, because we were completely out of form
BAYERN_MUNICH
BAYERN_MUNICH
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri May 03, 2013 1:05 am

Didn't they overtake Serie A with that win?
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri May 03, 2013 1:39 am

BAYERN_MUNICH wrote:last year the winter break cost us the title, because we were completely out of form

Because every other Bundesliga team didn't have the same issue...? scratch
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri May 03, 2013 7:29 am

The top teams in Portugal have very little competition. They are practically assured to get CL or Europa bid every year.... for them, both are prestigious. for Ligue 1 and Serie A teams, domestic competition is fierce. You give it your best in CL obviously. But you're not going to sacrifice the league for Europa. Most teams lack the depth to compete well across 4 competitions (there are 2 domestic cup competitions too). Not getting a european bid for the following season is far more damaging than doing well in Europa. The only club that took Europa seriously was Lyon for Ligue 1 and that was because they had the depth to do it. i could tell with the lineups they played.

As long as it doesn't affect CL spots, which it doesn't for Ligue 1, i really don't care about the coefficients. Serie A should be more worried.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Fri May 03, 2013 9:40 am

BAYERN_MUNICH wrote:last year the winter break cost us the title, because we were completely out of form

this. its not good having too long of a break.

imagine Marcelo coming back from this break, he would be fatter than Chris Christie ffs Proud
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri May 03, 2013 12:57 pm

So does this mean Portugal will have three CL slots and France two CL slots in the 2014-15 season!!!
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri May 03, 2013 2:22 pm

No. It doesn't change a thing for either league in terms of CL and Europe. The #5 and #6 slots both get 2 CL automatic bid, 1 CL playoff bid and 3 Europa bids. The only difference is that the seed for the CL playoff bid is better for the #5 league.

It's in 3rd place (Bundi currently) that you get the extra auto CL bid.

Ukraine is waaaaaaaay behind at #7. Honestly, this news is really non-news. It means nothing in a practical sense.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Fri May 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Also, isn't co-efficient calculated over 5 years? One year of getting more points means nothing.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri May 03, 2013 5:37 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure even if you lead another country in co-eff points, the table doesn't swap places until after a certain time. Because as soon as you overtake another league, that league could easily bounce back with a few wins and it would create havoc.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri May 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Forza wrote:Also, isn't co-efficient calculated over 5 years? One year of getting more points means nothing.

It's not just one year of more points getting added, it's also another year of more points for Seria A/Ligue 1 getting dropped. Effectively a gap of 2 years is created.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri May 03, 2013 5:47 pm

AbraKebabra Alacalamb wrote:Yeah I'm pretty sure even if you lead another country in co-eff points, the table doesn't swap places until after a certain time. Because as soon as you overtake another league, that league could easily bounce back with a few wins and it would create havoc.

Next year the 2008/2009 season gets dropped from the 5 year span. That was a year where Italy did well and Portugal didn't. I believe the difference between their scores that year was 5 coefficient points give or take, wanna know the current difference? 5 points.

However like sport said it's unlikely this changes anything from a practical standpoint. Ukraine is a distant 7th place so France/Portugal/Italy are safe as far as CL/Europa places go.

Spain, England and Germany are also not likely to drop out of the top three any time soon. However Germany could overtake England in second.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by abetelle Sat May 04, 2013 2:21 am

It says more about the relevance of the formula than of the quality of Ligue 1. I don't think anyone believes that the Portughese League has more quality than Ligue 1, much less Serie A.

abetelle
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Levante

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat May 04, 2013 2:42 am

Forza wrote:Also, isn't co-efficient calculated over 5 years? One year of getting more points means nothing.
Here lies the problem:

Liga Sagres ahead of Ligue 1 (and SOON Serie A) in UEFA Coefficients Uefacoefficients

Assume that in 2013/14 every league gets the average amount of points they've achieved over the past 5 years. Portugal loses a year when it underperformed and suddenly it is very, very close to Serie A.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum