Should national team coaches be from that nation?

+17
TalkingReckless
fatman123
The Nature Boy
Motogp69
Doc
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Jay29
rwo power
Moqqis
billy_gr
Onyx
futbol
Lex
VivaStPauli
The Franchise
Zealous
hrealmadrid
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Should national team coaches be from that nation? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should national team coaches be from that nation?

Post by Doc Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Us and Jamaica qualified for the WC under foreign coaches. Not that our own coaches are a bunch of dodo birds, it's simply a matter of respect. We (as in my country) tend to respect a guy who has coached foreign teams (Leo Beinhhacker? coached Ajax, Real Madrid and the Dutch) than someone who, well, did not from our own back yard.

So basically, for us small footballing countries, we need some of that foreign goodness. But for the the big boys, you gents have enough resources to go local.

Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Should national team coaches be from that nation? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should national team coaches be from that nation?

Post by Motogp69 Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 am

hrealmadrid wrote:The Benz not singing the French anthem thread got me thinking. There was a lot of debate around the 2006 World Cup regarding whether FIFA should restrict national team coaches, changing the rules so only citizens of that country could coach the team. Hardly materialized of course, for a number of reasons.

I know the US would be in shambles without Klinsmann.

Is the last part a joke?

Personally, at least in terms of the United States I think the coach should be American just because I think nationalism is important to the success. The key trait of all US National Teams was our ability to out work everyone, and that is something I haven't seen in a good while since Klinsmann took over.

Personally, I would of hired Peter Vermes or Dominic Kinnear, and then hired someone (possibly Klinsmann) to head up development of our youth system that way we slowly changed our style of play through each succeeding generation. However, I've always been one that believe you should fit your system to the players you have, not the other way around.

In reality Klinsmann is in the wrong position for US Soccer, if anything he should be replacing the man who brought him in Sunil Galati.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nature Boy Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:55 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I'm still to be convinced Hodgson is English tbh.

His nose is gigantic for one and he looks the Penquin from Batman.

And just like the Penquin he spent large parts of his life away from his supposed home country hmm

He also kind of looks like frodo baggins after 20 pints, some coke, and a 3 day bender with prostitutes.

but on topic, Capello has coached good footballing sides. Some more negative than others but hes a top drawer shelf. Could have been a different tenure for England if he understood the style of football English players play, and to Danis point, they need different kind of player to play different football.

I think NT coahces definitly should be from that Nation. But in essence, its impossible to have more than 60% of all National teams with native coaches.

Moto: completely agree with you. I also agree that the US would be worse off though had they not signed Klinsmann as coach. I dont know if the coaches you mentioned have enough top level experience to hang with the big guns at tournament time.
The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:27 am

Australian coach for the NT? 'Straya says no
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:36 am

Should national team coaches be from that nation? - Page 2 Dmfyxi

reminds of question that comes up in FM
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:30 am

I know Brasil needs a foreign coach unless its Muricy Ramalho or Dunga again

the cbf can be quite facepalmish
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:54 am

I think having the coach need to be of that country could lead to a slippery slope. So what about the assistant coaches? Because then maybe some countries would start getting beard managers, and just have their head coach be a figurehead of the assistant. You never know...Or how about the teams medical staff Laughing ? If were gonna be picky about the team representing the nation outside of just the players not sure why it would just stop at the head coach.

Just leave it like it is, its fine. At the end of the day its all about the players.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zlatan Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:23 am

It depends on the country we are talking about.

If we are talking about countries like Spain, Italy and Germany in which most of the players representing the country are from the leagues of their own countries, they play a similar style of play and are accustomed to it, So, somebody who is well known to the tactics and also the mentality of the players would be the perfect choice. As in the case of smaller countries, such as Belgium, where the internationals play in different leagues, it isn't necessary.

Zlatan
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:42 pm

I'd only take Pep Proud

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2