Should national team coaches be from that nation?

+17
TalkingReckless
fatman123
The Nature Boy
Motogp69
Doc
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Jay29
rwo power
Moqqis
billy_gr
Onyx
futbol
Lex
VivaStPauli
The Franchise
Zealous
hrealmadrid
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should national team coaches be from that nation? Empty Should national team coaches be from that nation?

Post by hrealmadrid Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:23 am

The Benz not singing the French anthem thread got me thinking. There was a lot of debate around the 2006 World Cup regarding whether FIFA should restrict national team coaches, changing the rules so only citizens of that country could coach the team. Hardly materialized of course, for a number of reasons.

I know the US would be in shambles without Klinsmann.
hrealmadrid
hrealmadrid
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Should national team coaches be from that nation? Empty Re: Should national team coaches be from that nation?

Post by Zealous Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:26 am

Has there ever been an example of a team winning an international trophy with a foreign coach? Not suggesting anything just genuinely asking.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Should national team coaches be from that nation? Empty Re: Should national team coaches be from that nation?

Post by The Franchise Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:35 am

I kind of think, yeah they should be from the nation. It kind of makes sense.

But its not a real big thing and its probably a good thing it isnt like this. There would of been many great coaches out of a job not based on merit, but just being unlucky.

And Zeal, only 1 I know of. Otto Rehhagel for Greece.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 am

I kind of feel like they have to. They probably have a bigger influence on the team than any single player.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:38 am

Otto :bow:
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:47 am

Forgot about Rehhagel Smile

I think for the top footballing countries it isn't really necessary since they tend to produce good coaches anyway. Implementing a rule saying only native coaches can be in that position would hurt "smaller" countries still finding their feet I would think.

I personally prefer native coaches because they tend to have a better understanding of how to communicate with the players. If you have that kind of barrier then the coach is unlikely to do well.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:49 am

I agree, it only hurts smaller teams, gives them less of a chance.

Greece are not winning that without Otto, I think we can all agree on that. His tactics were top quality, well defensively.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:50 am

I think the biggest football nations don't hire foreign coaches anyway. Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany, Italy, France. Did they ever have a foreign coach in their history?

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:52 am

Zealous wrote:Forgot about Rehhagel Smile

I think for the top footballing countries it isn't really necessary since they tend to produce good coaches anyway. Implementing a rule saying only native coaches can be in that position would hurt "smaller" countries still finding their feet I would think.

I personally prefer native coaches because they tend to have a better understanding of how to communicate with the players. If you have that kind of barrier then the coach is unlikely to do well.

You're 100% right, well, I would love for us to always have a native coach, but I can understand that bringin in a coach from the big guns can help countries with some talented players, but lacking in infrastructure, like the African and Asian FAs often have that problem.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:56 am

It kinda makes more sense if the NT has a coach who's the same nationality. However there's nothing wrong with a NT having a coach who isn't the same nationality.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:57 am

Well Ștefan Kovocs, former Ajax (Romanian) once coached France.

Dont know about anyone else.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:07 am

The Franchise wrote:Well Ștefan Kovocs, former Ajax (Romanian) once coached France.

Dont know about anyone else.

He didn't win anything though.

If you're just looking for any foreign coaches, there's tons.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:09 am

I was answering the question of foreign coaches coaching the teams named by futbol.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:11 am

Otto :bow:
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Moqqis Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:35 am

Roy Hodgson is the best manager that has coached finland, so that is going to be kind of bad for us pale

Moqqis
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:45 am

futbol wrote:I think the biggest football nations don't hire foreign coaches anyway. Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany, Italy, France. Did they ever have a foreign coach in their history?
I like how you left out England there Razz
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:47 am

England need to be hiring foreign coaches in order to change the style of play imo. Foreign coaches who can play good football.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:48 am

Cant change style of play without players. England need players first.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:50 am

Yohan Modric wrote:England need to be hiring foreign coaches in order to change the style of play imo. Foreign coaches who can play good football.
Well, they tried with Sven-Göran Eriksson and Fabio Capello....
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:53 am

Sven's probably not renown for good football neither is Capello imo.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 am

Not true.

Lazio played good stuff.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:11 pm

We're playing decent stuff under Hodgson now, anyway.

To an extent, I do think coaches should be from the nation of the team he's coaching, if only so the whole set-up becomes a true representation of that nation.

However, some of the smaller nations can become more competitive with a foreign coach. They might not be able to produce decent enough coach themselves, but their players could learn a lot from someone coming in from the outside.

Having a manager from your own nation should always be the goal, but in the interest of competition, teams should be allowed to have foreign coaches.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by hrealmadrid Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:05 pm

I agree with above poster. To be honest I think that's the real beauty in it. The nation competing with their collective footballing mindset. Underdeveloped footballing nations definitely deserve foreign coaches.
hrealmadrid
hrealmadrid
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:10 pm

I'm still to be convinced Hodgson is English tbh.

His nose is gigantic for one and he looks the Penquin from Batman.

And just like the Penquin he spent large parts of his life away from his supposed home country hmm

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Us and Jamaica qualified for the WC under foreign coaches. Not that our own coaches are a bunch of dodo birds, it's simply a matter of respect. We (as in my country) tend to respect a guy who has coached foreign teams (Leo Beinhhacker? coached Ajax, Real Madrid and the Dutch) than someone who, well, did not from our own back yard.

So basically, for us small footballing countries, we need some of that foreign goodness. But for the the big boys, you gents have enough resources to go local.

Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next