Rebaño Sagrado
BarrileteCosmico
dostoevsky
The Franchise
Onyx
Swanhends
14 posters

Go down

New worries Re: Neurological Effects of heading the ball Empty New worries Re: Neurological Effects of heading the ball

Post by Swanhends Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:52 pm

New York Times wrote:Heading a soccer ball can, on the plus side, score goals and impress fans. But it may also adversely affect a player’s ability to think, a new study of high school soccer players suggests.

The neurological effect of concussions and other serious head trauma in sports is, of course, a topic of considerable interest to scientists, as well as to athletes and, for younger players, their parents.

But there has been less attention paid to the potential effects of so-called preconcussive impacts, or more minor hits to the head, like those that might be sustained when someone heads a soccer ball. A 2011 brain-scan study of experienced, adult soccer players found subtle structural changes in certain parts of the brain that might be associated with repeated slight impacts.

But it has been difficult to measure the actual cognitive functioning of soccer players right after they have been heading the ball, in part because the equipment required is complicated or lab-based.

Then came the iPad, with its simple, intuitive touch-screen and portability.

“We had been trying for some time to develop a very simple test” of cognition, said Anne B. Sereno, a professor of neurobiology at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston, who led the new study.

So Dr. Sereno and her colleagues developed an iPad version of a well-accepted cognitive test, in which volunteers are told to focus on an image of four boxes grouped in a roughly square shape on the screen.

In one part of the test, the volunteers are asked to touch a box when it lights up on screen.

In another, more demanding, task they are asked to ignore the box that glows and instead touch the box immediately opposite from the lit box. This second task, known as the anti-point response, tests how well volunteers can control their reactions and impulses and intellectually override a natural response — the impulse to look at and reach for the lit box — and correctly touch its opposing counterpart.

The anti-point response “is a good test of executive function” in the brain, Dr. Sereno said.

Next, she and her colleagues recruited a girls’ high school varsity soccer team in the Houston area.

The team was female, because “female soccer players are second only to football players in the number of concussions” that they develop each year, Dr. Sereno said, suggesting that head trauma is a common problem in the sport. Girls are also more likely than boys to sustain injuries during soccer heading, some statistics show.

But whether normal, everyday soccer heading was, potentially, having an impact on the girls’ ability to think was unknown.

Dr. Sereno and her colleagues brought their iPads to the field and waited for the team to finish a varsity practice, during which each girl repeatedly headed the ball, some as many as 20 times.

The scientists also had recruited a group of 12 non-soccer playing high school girls, some of them athletes, but none of them currently involved in contact sports, to serve as a control group.

These girls completed the pointing and anti-pointing tasks on the iPad after a full day of school.

Then the soccer players took their turns with the iPads.

It turned out, that the soccer players were not as adept at the anti-point test. As a group, their responses were slightly but significantly slower, suggesting some degree of cognitive impairment.

What is more, the more times a girl had headed the ball in the immediately preceding practice, the worse her scores were on the anti-point test.

Wondering whether the effects might, potentially, be cumulative, the researchers then re-ran their analysis, using information about how many years each soccer player had participated in the sport and also how many hours per week she currently practiced.

They found that the more years a girl had played, the slower she tended to be on the anti-point test.

Similarly, the more hours per week a girl played, the worse she performed on the anti-point test.

These results, although troubling, are not cause for panic among the parents of soccer-playing girls, Dr. Sereno said. The study was small, involving just one team, one practice, one age group and one gender. And the differences in test scores were slight, although statistically significant. On a practical level, none of the players were experiencing academic problems at school.

More important, it may be that any effects from heading are transient. “We didn’t re-test the girls,” Dr. Sereno said. Maybe, after a day or even several hours away from the field, the players’ scores would have matched those of the non-soccer players, she said, although the finding that the girls who had played the most years scored the worst “is a bit concerning.”

For now, then, the primary takeaway of her study would seem to be that far more study is needed on the effects of heading and other seemingly minor impacts to the head during sports. “At this point,” she said, “we don’t know the risks” to cognitive function, “or if there are risks.”

She and her colleagues are planning a series of additional iPad-based studies of other age groups and players in other sports, including football. She expects to have results available soon.

Discuss hmm
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

New worries Re: Neurological Effects of heading the ball Empty Re: New worries Re: Neurological Effects of heading the ball

Post by Onyx Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:55 pm

I've never been a fan of heading the ball. I've always avoided heading the ball when playing football. Goals using passing etc are more attractive than a headed goal. I know a good headed goal can kinda look good, but yeh..

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

New worries Re: Neurological Effects of heading the ball Empty Re: New worries Re: Neurological Effects of heading the ball

Post by The Franchise Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Yeah I read this, or something like this a couple weeks ago..its facinating.

But still, even with this information player will still to do it. Its a fundemental part of the game for many players on the pitch.

Besides, as they said, they need to study more because they dont know exactly what damage it does.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Hardly surprising, though at an amateur level the effects, whilst of statistical significance, would arguably not be worrying enough to justify any sort of intervention.

I remember reading an article concerning a study of this nature sometime in the past six months which commented on the effects for athletes, though this dealt with instances in which they would be heading the ball several hundred times a week. I'll see if I can find it again.

The duty of care owed to a player by a club is an interesting topic, however I imagine that any sort of new paradigm would be established by virtue of action by another code, such as rugby where the effects of concussive and pre-concussive impacts would be more greatly exaggerated by the nature of the game.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 pm

12 people as the control group is hardly significant. I would have expected at least 30 to make any meaningful conclusions, even with the limited scope of the test. They also made the girls head the balls after practice but I suspect that the control group had no physical exercise before the test. I don't know about you guys, but I often find myself making sloppy errors after exhausting physical exercise.

While interesting I don't think there's enough information to reach conclusions, although it does call for wider studies.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Hernandez Sad
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:00 pm

Poor Drogba, must be hallucinating stuff right now
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 pm

This isn't really new though.... its been known for years that heading if not done right technically can cause long term brain damage.

Especially if you head with the side of your head.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:18 pm

I was playing indoor on night a couple of weeks ago and there was a 50/50 ball in the air, so when I jumped to head the ball out of bounds I was pushed slightly and it hit me on right side of my head right above my ear.

I started to get dizzy, vision started getting blurred, started feeling as if I was blacking out, my hands started shaking and I got to the point where it would go away then as soon as I started to run it's start over. So I left.

Such a scary feeling I thought I was going to collapse.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Can't be that bad, a lot of strikers with decade-spanning careers are in their 60s to 80s now and seem perfectly fine, it's not like american football players, who regularly have significant brain damage by the time they hit 40.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:35 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:Can't be that bad, a lot of strikers with decade-spanning careers are in their 60s to 80s now and seem perfectly fine, it's not like american football players, who regularly have significant brain damage by the time they hit 40.

I would worry more about the center backs than the strikers, I think?

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:This isn't really new though.... its been known for years that heading if not done right technically can cause long term brain damage.

Especially if you head with the side of your head.

Fair point, but while we don't know the competition level of the study group, the fact that the picked a high-school team should (I think) eliminate that as a possible cause...By that age they should be past problems with proper technique (at least safety-wise)

That said, in actual games even professionals can head the ball with the wrong part of the head, especially when two people are fighting for position or challenging for the ball in the air
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Did they use bowling balls in the test? scratch
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Andy Carroll vagi
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:47 pm

I guess this was more concerning years ago when the ball weighed more than your average family pet Laughing

Yeah I think if you regularly head a ball hit with some pace it can't be good for you, but I also doubt that there's a significant risk of major brain damage. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it probably won't.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:50 pm

The modern balls weigh nothing compared to the yesteryears. Tom has a point.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:11 pm

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:The modern balls weigh nothing compared to the yesteryears. Tom has a point.

Velocity is much greater though, so overall force would be higher even if the weight is lower IIRC
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Its still relevant though, if you consistently head the ball with your temple then at the very least you will suffer headaches.

Which is growing up you are always advised by doctors mainly to head the ball when ever possible with your forehead.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:46 pm

They should try to test this on older professional players.

Like, take a sizeable sample of retired 40-50-year-old center-backs who played professionally and compare their results at different tests to a sample of 40-50-year-old regular people.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum