Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

+19
nichabr
Lupi
shamr9pato
Arquitecto
baresi
Il Diavolo
Ganso
Cruijf
forza.milan
Valkyrja
Rossoneri Ninja
Kick
Milan31
dostoevsky
Forza
Milantildeath
Dante
Kaladin
KR10
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by KR10 Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:44 pm

We haven't had a thread dedicated to the positions in which we most require strengthening in the January window.

CB, CM(vice-Montolivo), CF, RW and GK are all possibilities.

I think we can all agree that CB is the biggest priority, but what are positions do you realistically see being strenghtened?

I am in favor of loaning out Pato to Brazil and loaning in Balotelli (with option to buy). I think Robinho should stay put for now, we need him for the 4-3-3.

Other than that, I'd like a backup Regista, but I don't see that happening

KR10
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 293
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Kaladin Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Well it really depends on the formation we are going to deploy, if we are continuing with a 4-3-3 then we need a RW, if its a 4-2-3-1 then we need an able Trequartista

CB: Yanga Mbiwa, Dede, Chiriches and Ogbonna are all possibilities
CM: (leave this position to be strengthened in the Summer)
CF: Balo would be amazing, could see a move for Llorente too
CAM: Sneidjer, Hamsik (my dream Sad )
RW: Nani, Farfan (will be out of contract if i recall)
GK: Perin, Consigli, Rafael

But knowing Galliani we would settle for Matri, promote Amelia and state Berlusconi is the one that made this possible, all with his finger raised upward astutley
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 24536
Join date : 2012-06-28
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Dante Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Galliani for once , was cynical and nailed it . We sell the scrubs first . Sell the scrubs , that's our top priority in the January market.

Top 2 priority : the club has to buy an actual 10 . Don't care who that is and if he fits our youth project. Is it Kaka? Is it Snejder? Is it Pastore? Is it Merkel?
Don't care who that f****r will be , as far as he 's a 10 Laughing

Top 3 priority : our defensive issues won't be solved with January transfers , unless we made a top signing and that's unlikely to happen . I think no CB signing will happen , unless it's someone worthy for the long term , which again won't solve anything right now.



It shall be an interesting winter market nonetheless. And personaly , i would be happy if we don't buy anyone and just sell Mesbah .

My life will change that day Sad
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 5460
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by KR10 Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Dante wrote:Galliani for once , was cynical and nailed it . We sell the scrubs first . Sell the scrubs , that's our top priority in the January market.

Top 2 priority : the club has to buy an actual 10 . Don't care who that is and if he fits our youth project. Is it Kaka? Is it Snejder? Is it Pastore? Is it Merkel?
Don't care who that f****r will be , as far as he 's a 10 Laughing

Top 3 priority : our defensive issues won't be solved with January transfers , unless we made a top signing and that's unlikely to happen . I think no CB signing will happen , unless it's someone worthy for the long term , which again won't solve anything right now.



It shall be an interesting winter market nonetheless. And personaly , i would be happy if we don't buy anyone and just sell Mesbah .

My life will change that day Sad

I don't know if there's room for a 10 in a 4-3-3... maybe in the false 9 position or on the RW, but I don't see Allegri playing a 10 in CM, he's not that brave

KR10
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 293
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Milantildeath Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:59 pm

I'd be 100% ok with the purchase of Siem De Jong, for me he could be the best option for us
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 2275
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Forza Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:00 pm

This won't happen, but we need to buy 2 CBs, not just 1. 2nd priority is probably getting a new CAM.

We also have to sell all of the rest of that shite on out bench. If the Zenit game has shown us anything, it's that our bench is horrific.

For sale:
1 of Acerbi or Zapata
Mesbah
Antonini
Muntari
Boateng
Traore
Flamini
Pazzini
Robinho - if we get lots of $ for him

After this transfer season:
Abbiati

De Sciglio --- Roncaglia --- Ogbonna --- Constant

De Jong --- Montolivo

Emanuelson --- Bojan --- El Shaarawy

Pato

Adding to that, these players should not be offered another contract at season's end:
Yepes
Bonera
Ambrosini
Abbiati

By August 2013, I want to see:

Consigli (Atal)

De Sciglio --- Roncaglia (Fio) --- Ogbonna (Tor) --- Costa (Samp)

De Jong --- Montolivo

Yarmolenko (Kiev) --- Pjanic (Roma) --- El Shaarawy

Pato
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham
Posts : 8871
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Milantildeath Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Forza Rossoneri wrote:This won't happen, but we need to buy 2 CBs, not just 1. 2nd priority is probably getting a new CAM.

We also have to sell all of the rest of that shite on out bench. If the Zenit game has shown us anything, it's that our bench is horrific.

For sale:
1 of Acerbi or Zapata
Mesbah
Antonini
Muntari
Boateng
Traore
Flamini
Pazzini
Robinho - if we get lots of $ for him

After this transfer season:
Abbiati

De Sciglio --- Roncaglia --- Ogbonna --- Constant

De Jong --- Montolivo

Emanuelson --- Bojan --- El Shaarawy

Pato

Adding to that, these players should not be offered another contract at season's end:
Yepes
Bonera
Ambrosini
Abbiati

By August 2013, I want to see:

Consigli (Atal)

De Sciglio --- Roncaglia (Fio) --- Ogbonna (Tor) --- Costa (Samp)

De Jong --- Montolivo

Yarmolenko (Kiev) --- Pjanic (Roma) --- El Shaarawy

Pato

Too much of an overhaul in my opinion. We wont get Pjanic, Costa Roncaglia, or Ogbonna for sure. As for Yarmolenko, I've always liked him. I don't see why we need to change Constant at left back, he has done very well. There is no need to dump Prince or Muntari. We should only FOR SURE dump Mesbah, Traore, Flamini and Amelia. I like Acerbi at center back and feel he can grow a lot more there.
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 2275
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Dante Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:56 pm

our defensive issues won't be solved with January transfers , unless we made a top signing and that's unlikely to happen . I think no CB signing will happen , unless it's someone worthy for the long term , which again won't solve anything right now.

I would certainly like to see a CB like Roncaglia Forza , but it just won't happen in January . Cannot even remember when was the last time Milan moved for a CB in January. Unless an unexpected opportunity arises , then i can certainly say Galliani won't move for a CB until the season ends. Not to mention , one CB would have to depart first .. we are in deep shit regarding that aspect , but this is Galliani's fault.

I would like to throw a name or two here and there , but it will be pointless , because none of them are going to be Milan players come February . Milan must take the initiative and start showing some players the door , just to begin with.

We have 5 CB's , Yepes , Mexes , Zapata , Bonera and Acerbi . One of them would have to leave for us to buy a new CB. So.. which team exactly , perhaps other than Genoa , would be willing to take anyone of these players during January? I see no buyers available really , so Milan going for a CB , forget two , is sadly out of the question .

Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 5460
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Milantildeath Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:00 am

Apparently Lisandro Lopez (CB) will be arriving in Milano in the next couple days
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 2275
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Forza Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:34 am

Milantildeath wrote:
Forza Rossoneri wrote:This won't happen, but we need to buy 2 CBs, not just 1. 2nd priority is probably getting a new CAM.

We also have to sell all of the rest of that shite on out bench. If the Zenit game has shown us anything, it's that our bench is horrific.

For sale:
1 of Acerbi or Zapata
Mesbah
Antonini
Muntari
Boateng
Traore
Flamini
Pazzini
Robinho - if we get lots of $ for him

After this transfer season:
Abbiati

De Sciglio --- Roncaglia --- Ogbonna --- Constant

De Jong --- Montolivo

Emanuelson --- Bojan --- El Shaarawy

Pato

Adding to that, these players should not be offered another contract at season's end:
Yepes
Bonera
Ambrosini
Abbiati

By August 2013, I want to see:

Consigli (Atal)

De Sciglio --- Roncaglia (Fio) --- Ogbonna (Tor) --- Costa (Samp)

De Jong --- Montolivo

Yarmolenko (Kiev) --- Pjanic (Roma) --- El Shaarawy

Pato

Too much of an overhaul in my opinion. We wont get Pjanic, Costa Roncaglia, or Ogbonna for sure. As for Yarmolenko, I've always liked him. I don't see why we need to change Constant at left back, he has done very well. There is no need to dump Prince or Muntari. We should only FOR SURE dump Mesbah, Traore, Flamini and Amelia. I like Acerbi at center back and feel he can grow a lot more there.
Have to disagree. By 2013 season, I expect an overhaul. Of course I'm not saying that these players and only these players should be bought, but I do think that these positions need consideration come season's end.

We will need a proper AM, unless Bojan has a stellar 2nd half of the season. Pjanic is young and out of favour at Roma, so he is a viable target.

Roncaglia will depend on whether Fio make CL or not. Costa is an ideal defensive LB and I can't see Samp charging a fortune for him.

Ogbonna will be pricey, but not as expensive as Torino are making him out to be. In any case, investment in quality players in defence like him is what we need. Ogbonna is a talent who we could turn into a great player. Contrast him with Acerbi, who is a mediocre player that we might be able to turn into a good player.

Prince offers little to the team these days. Yet he is still highly regarded by other teams. The time is right for a sale to cash in on this underperformer. Sure, he scored a goal last game in Serie A... but what was that? 1 goal out of 100 long shots. Then he got himself sent off. He was awful in the game today too.

Muntari can't pass or tackle well enough to earn a starting spot, so he tries to compensate for it with goal-snatching. That's all very well, but what you don't see is Muntari causing the midfield to struggle because he can't perform his role properly.

Constant is a makeshift LB. I don't see him as a long-term option at the moment, but I am hopeful that he will prove me wrong.

I think we agree on the rest of the cuts.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham
Posts : 8871
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Milantildeath Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:54 am

Constant has proved game in and game out that he should be our left back. I have not seen him play bad in any game that he has played left back. I think people have been too harsh on Acerbi as well. He played extremely well against Zenit. He needs to be given repetition to prove himself. If anyone hasn't noticed, on the ball he dribbles just as well as Nesta. He is not as fast for sure, but is a physical beast. Right now we are linked with Argentinian Center Back Lisandro Lopez who would be a very good player to partner Acerbi for the future, he is strong, fast, big and technical (Thiago Silva anyone). For me we have a foundation, it's just implementing it now. This is what I'd have in mind for next season. It would be smart to trust our youth team players as well, they are all developing very fast, and could be huge for us in the future.


28 man roster: right now it's a toss up between Perin and Raffael on who we will buy. I'm not saying it will look exactly like this, but it would be nice.

---------------------------------Perin/Raffael
De Sciglio------------Lopez--------------------Acerbi---------------Constant

----------------------------------N. De Jong
----------------------Montolivo---------------S. De Jong

---------Prince--------------------------------------------------SES
-----------------------------------Pato(if healthy)

Bench:
Abbiati
Third keep
Bonera
Zapata
Albertazzi
Antonini
Abate
Muntari
Urby
Nocerino
Innocenti
Valoti
Cristante
Bojan
Comi
Pazzini
Niang
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 2275
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Forza Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:35 am

Double De Jong :bow:
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham
Posts : 8871
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by dostoevsky Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:11 pm

It can be almost certainly assumed that we will plan to build upon Allegri's 4-3-3, however regardless of whether this is so or not, a capable creative alternative to Montolivo should be our first priority. Ideally we should be searching for a younger midfielder who is capable of being part of the starting eleven from the beginning, giving greater creativity to our engine and providing competition for Nocerino. My personal preference would be for Andrea Poli, whilst other names such as Luca Cigarini have been approached in the past.

In defence, when our fullback injury crisis resolves itself we will have sufficient depth in this position to see out the rest of the season, with significant purchases here unlikely and hardly a priority given the weaknesses elsewhere in the team. In the centre, reinforcements would be welcome, however if a purchase is made it must be a wise one, not a short sighted signing such as Carvalho, but of a defender who will bring quality and stability. As such, whilst a central defender remains a priority on the market, I do not classify this area as a priority for the winter market, where fewer players are made available by their clubs.

More realistically, we might see reinforcement to the right wing made or the arrival of Mario Balotelli, who has been heavily linked to the club of late and seems to be edging closer to an exit from City, despite Mancini denying such a move was in the making. Whilst I do not classify this as a priority, if such an opportunity arises, I would grasp it quite eagerly.

As for our goalkeeping situation, I do not believe that we will see any changes during January to our playing squad, though it is possible that we will attempt to secure someone's contract whilst loaning them out or simply acquiring half of the contract.

Removing the deadwood from our squad would be nice to see, however I imagine that this will mostly be done in the summer, with several contracts running out that will not be renewed.

Finally, concerning Forza's list of possible departures, I would maintain faith in Acerbi, whilst Zapata is not ours to sell. Mesbah should be sent on his way if possible, though I would maintain Antonini as a back-up unless Didac suddenly shows himself to have the trust of the management.

Muntari is not a great player, however he did his job last season, providing balance and grit, though he simply can not average four shots a game again upon his return. I do wish to see him depart Milan, however given our limited depth in midfield, I would rather this not occur during January, as he can once more given us six stable months of service that we are frankly too poor to refuse.

I would sell Boateng given a suitable offer, however given that he is cup-tied and is unlikely to take too far a step down as a player, I can't see him departing in January. No one will offer us a cent for Traore, whilst Flamini will likely just run down his contract then leave for France during the summer.

Pazzini is a unique player in our forward line and his departure would remove a tactical option that remains useful to our team. Given the relative instability of our forward line I would certainly retain him, at least until the arrival of another player who represents a more typical centre forward, such as Balotelli. I'd have preferred all along that we retain Maxi Lopez at the end of last season, however Pazzo has my trust as an option from the bench, a role I believe he can play well.

Only a high offer would lead me to offload Robinho as he remains an important player in our squad in my eyes, whilst it would be difficult to replace his characteristics within the squad during January. If we were to chase a player of quality for the right rather than Balotelli during the winter, then the situation would be different, however I've yet to hear of anything that would suggest this will be the case.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 7557
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Dante Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Milantildeath wrote:Apparently Lisandro Lopez (CB) will be arriving in Milano in the next couple days

We'll see about that. In any case , he's 23 years old , younger than Acerbi and definitely even more uninitiated . And i am quite sure when i am saying , even if he signed for Milan , he would either make 4-5 appearances ,or just arrive in the summer .

Backline issues are rarely solved mid-season . It's the part of the lineup that needs the most time and most work to improve and a 23 y.old defender who has been playing for A.Sarandi has close to zero chances to make a significant impact instantly.

As it seems , i am on the same page with Dostoevsky on this , seeing us both mentioning that despite CB being a priority , it's not the priority for the winter market.

Reducing the squad as much as the club can afford , is . Now if a very good opportunity arises , we should exploit it , but there's hardly anything concrete in it. Something last ,

Ideally we should be searching for a younger midfielder who is capable of being part of the starting eleven from the beginning, giving greater creativity to our engine and providing competition for Nocerino

not only this , but he could at least replace Montolivo when any need arises. Poli is frankly an excellent choice , a player who everyone of us would enjoy . Don't know if it's possible during January , but the fact that Inter blew it up with him , Juventus has barely any need of him , Roma the same ... leaves Milan almost alone to grab him up , eventualy.

Merkel should be considered as well , i don't know if Preziosi would agree with it having just bought him full time, but it would be interesting to see him alongside Montolivo and close to El Sharaawy in the 4-3-3 .

Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 5460
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by KR10 Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:54 pm

dostoevsky wrote:It can be almost certainly assumed that we will plan to build upon Allegri's 4-3-3, however regardless of whether this is so or not, a capable creative alternative to Montolivo should be our first priority. Ideally we should be searching for a younger midfielder who is capable of being part of the starting eleven from the beginning, giving greater creativity to our engine and providing competition for Nocerino. My personal preference would be for Andrea Poli, whilst other names such as Luca Cigarini have been approached in the past.


Exactly my thoughts. We are one injury away from our season quality. The drop off from Montolivo to our next "creative" midfielders (aka no one) is massive. If Montolivo gets injured/fatigued we are gonna see more of the 3DM bs that plagued us the last season and a half.

I hope Galliani sees this. Veratti would be ideal, maybe on loan, but I doubt that would happen. Veratti, Ogbonna, Balotelli.... That would be quite something.

KR10
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 293
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Milan31 Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:37 pm


Exactly my thoughts. We are one injury away from our season quality. The drop off from Montolivo to our next "creative" midfielders (aka no one) is massive. If Montolivo gets injured/fatigued we are gonna see more of the 3DM bs that plagued us the last season and a half.

I hope Galliani sees this. Veratti would be ideal, maybe on loan, but I doubt that would happen. Veratti, Ogbonna, Balotelli.... That would be quite something.

we can only dream Sad
Milan31
Milan31
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 1366
Join date : 2012-02-05

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Kaladin Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Milan31 wrote:

Exactly my thoughts. We are one injury away from our season quality. The drop off from Montolivo to our next "creative" midfielders (aka no one) is massive. If Montolivo gets injured/fatigued we are gonna see more of the 3DM bs that plagued us the last season and a half.

I hope Galliani sees this. Veratti would be ideal, maybe on loan, but I doubt that would happen. Traore 2.0, Granqvist, Matri.... That would be quite something.

we can only dream Sad

Fix'd
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 24536
Join date : 2012-06-28
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Dante Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Milan31 wrote:

Exactly my thoughts. We are one injury away from our season quality. The drop off from Montolivo to our next "creative" midfielders (aka no one) is massive. If Montolivo gets injured/fatigued we are gonna see more of the 3DM bs that plagued us the last season and a half.

I hope Galliani sees this. Veratti would be ideal, maybe on loan, but I doubt that would happen. Veratti, Ogbonna, Balotelli.... That would be quite something.

we can only dream Sad

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities 24197710
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 5460
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Milantildeath Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:57 am

DOS: I agree with you on Pazzini, he is our only true point forward. I was thinking though, couldn't Comi, Paloschi or even Petagna fulfill that need?
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 2275
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Forza Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:08 am

CB is more important than finding a capable creative alternative to Montolivo. The number of goals we ship because of defensive errors is staggering. I have to disagree with dos, even a short-term solution would be welcomed. Someone like Carvalho would be a vast improvement over our other CBs, even if he is only here for 6 months. We cannot make the CL spots with our current CBs.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham
Posts : 8871
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Kick Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:37 am

Forza Rossoneri wrote: We cannot make the CL spots with our current CBs.

Do what we did. Play your RB there, park the bus and win the CL. :coffee:
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea
Posts : 34814
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by dostoevsky Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 am

Forza Rossoneri wrote:CB is more important than finding a capable creative alternative to Montolivo. The number of goals we ship because of defensive errors is staggering. I have to disagree with dos, even a short-term solution would be welcomed. Someone like Carvalho would be a vast improvement over our other CBs, even if he is only here for 6 months. We cannot make the CL spots with our current CBs.

Our central defenders are hardly stand outs, however there is a stark contrast between our ability to tactically improve our defence and our ability to replace our single creative light in midfield. Not simply our back four but the entire team are charged with helping to tighten our defence, something that can not simply be attributed to bringing in superior personnel. Our defence requires continuity above anything else. Endless uncertainty is doing more to weaken us at the back than the quality of our personnel.

On the other hand, our ability to control a midfield is entirely dependent upon Montolivo. He's the player that allows us to build from the back, who directs the rest of the team where to move and when to push up, who gives us the quality needed to retain possession and maintain consistent pressure, as well as offering an ability to provide a final ball when pushing further up the pitch.

Without another player with his characteristics, Montolivo's absence won't simply ruin our team creatively, it will invite so much pressure onto our defence that no back four will allow us to cope. The rest of our midfield is dependent upon their ability to carry the ball rather than release it. The likes of Mexes and Acerbi can do their job if they're given a consistent run better than a player such as Ambrosini or Emanuelson would do if given the burden of Montolivo's position. I understand you have a pessimistic view of our central defence, however I've yet to hear of a realistic name mentioned in this thread of a player who is any better than them.

Milantildeath wrote:DOS: I agree with you on Pazzini, he is our only true point forward. I was thinking though, couldn't Comi, Paloschi or even Petagna fulfill that need?

I'd prefer that Comi stay in Serie B where he can make mistakes and discover what a full season of professional football is like before we appraise his potential for the future. He's currently alternating between the starting eleven and the bench for Reggina, good practice for a young player and it's game time that he desperately needs. I can't see him learning much from a return to Milan until he's ready to participate regularly.

Now that Pazzini is here, I think that we ought to give him the opportunity to contribute rather than shuffling him along to give another play his role from the bench. If he becomes unhappy here, then he should of course be allowed to leave to get game time, however as long as he's content I'd let him stay. I still believe he's capable of chipping in goals regularly if used correctly.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 7557
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Forza Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:06 am

dostoevsky wrote:
Forza Rossoneri wrote:CB is more important than finding a capable creative alternative to Montolivo. The number of goals we ship because of defensive errors is staggering. I have to disagree with dos, even a short-term solution would be welcomed. Someone like Carvalho would be a vast improvement over our other CBs, even if he is only here for 6 months. We cannot make the CL spots with our current CBs.

Our central defenders are hardly stand outs, however there is a stark contrast between our ability to tactically improve our defence and our ability to replace our single creative light in midfield. Not simply our back four but the entire team are charged with helping to tighten our defence, something that can not simply be attributed to bringing in superior personnel. Our defence requires continuity above anything else. Endless uncertainty is doing more to weaken us at the back than the quality of our personnel.

On the other hand, our ability to control a midfield is entirely dependent upon Montolivo. He's the player that allows us to build from the back, who directs the rest of the team where to move and when to push up, who gives us the quality needed to retain possession and maintain consistent pressure, as well as offering an ability to provide a final ball when pushing further up the pitch.

Without another player with his characteristics, Montolivo's absence won't simply ruin our team creatively, it will invite so much pressure onto our defence that no back four will allow us to cope. The rest of our midfield is dependent upon their ability to carry the ball rather than release it. The likes of Mexes and Acerbi can do their job if they're given a consistent run better than a player such as Ambrosini or Emanuelson would do if given the burden of Montolivo's position. I understand you have a pessimistic view of our central defence, however I've yet to hear of a realistic name mentioned in this thread of a player who is any better than them.

First of all, I'll make clear that I'm not arguing against the purchase of a vice-Monty. What I am strongly suggesting is that a new CB is top priority.

You start off by noting that our CBs are not of good quality. This is true. You then point out that our defence is not solely dependant on our CB personnel. Also true. And you wrote that our defence requires continuity. Correct again. BUT then you sought to almost entirely exonerate our CBs for what has been an awful first part of the season defensively. Those earlier statements of fact and this view that our CBs are somehow beyond reproach do not align.

There is no hiding from the fact that our lack of defensive quality is chiefly caused by or CBs, despite the rest of the team's role in assisting these players. This has been emphasised by a series of regrettable and clumsy defensive lapses that can almost be entirely attributed to our CBs.

As for uncertainty, it should be noted that our current situation is about as changeable as it gets, with Max constantly alternating CB pairings and no single player presenting themselves as a higher quality option than the others. Conversely, to introduce one or two proven long-term options at CB should have the effect of quelling this perilous situation.

You are right in saying that Montolivo cannot be replaced by any player currently in our squad. He is pivotal. A long-term injury to Monty would be near fatal to our midfield. But the way I see the situation is not "pessimistic" at all...

In Monty, we have 1 player who deserves to start every game on merit. In our 5 CBs, we have 0 players who deserve to start every game on merit. What we have in our CBs are 4 perfectly capable back-up players. Sure, I would've chanced any one of them next to the great Silva or legendary Nesta, but not with each other. I'm a realist. And the reality is that our defence has conceded one or more goals in 16 out of our 21 games this season. So if you're asking, "are they really so bad that we need a replacement?", the answer is an emphatic YES!.

I'm just making a case about why the CB position needs the most urgent attention, but ultimately, we can only hope that we have the money for both a vice-Monty and at least 1 CB or we are in dire straits.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham
Posts : 8871
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by dostoevsky Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:40 am

There is a difference between attributing blame to our central defenders and excluding them from our plans for the future. Responsible management of any club requires that before a solution is sought from the transfer market, alternatives within the squad have been fully explored. This raises the question of whether the appropriate personnel have been given adequate opportunities and whether they have received the requisite tactical support. That our backline has disappointed upon occasion as a unit does not preclude the possibility that they can form a successful unit. If we simply seek to buy our way out of trouble, we are effectively communicating that we believe that our backline is not underperforming, but that this is the highest level of performance it can achieve. The likes of Mexes and Acerbi, as with other alternatives thus tried, must shoulder the responsibility for their mistakes, however they deserve the time to form a partnership unless a significant name is added to the squad.

Whilst, as I have said, I do not believe that this partnership has been given the time it needs to show whether or not it can succeed, I am certainly not denying the need to bring in greater quality at the back. One of your major complaints is that we have no players who you believe are worthy of starting, yet I question where a player who would "deserve" to start is going to appear from during the January window. Players of a certain quality are unlikely to be released by their clubs when their ability to replace them on the market are similarly as reduced as ours. The only central defenders we will be able to procure are those thrown to the side by other clubs. I'm not against purchasing a central defender in January if someone of quality is available, however this is rarely the right time to do so and this is why we would be better off waiting six months. All we'll get now are rejects and scarred warhorses.

Finally, to use your own term, Montolivo is just one player who deserves to start. This is true in itself, however it is not the complete picture. Montolivo is a player who can justify the inclusion of others in the starting eleven simply because of his ability to raise the level that we play at as a team. No amount of tactical tinkering is going to provide this team with the technical components to play anything other than Total Hoofball. We'll drop more points through surrendering our midfield than in trusting this backline.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 7557
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Forza Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:16 am

1st paragraph: Our CBs have not had time to form a partnership.

Let's not muck around, I really don't think that chemistry is the main issue here. Half a season is not an unsubstantial time. The names Yepes, Mexes, Acerbi, Zapata and Bonera don't exactly scream out "quality", do they? Allegri has trialled every pairing under the sun and is clearly not satisfied because he never sticks with any player for very long. Impressive performances have been few and far between and I'm sure Allegri is frustrated with the options at his disposal. Quite frankly, I'm not sure if we can get any more out of these players unless a better player comes along to partner with one of them.

2nd paragraph: There will be nobody available in the January transfer period, so we would be better off waiting until season's end.

Yes, it's true that it is difficult to find a good CB mid-season, but you're writing as if nobody has ever bought a decent player in January. I put this question to you, if we cannot find a player of quality to fill the CB position in the January transfer window, what chance do we have of finding a vice-Monty? After all, vice-Monty can't just be any old hack with some passing skills. Some reasonable money is going to have to be spent.

Of course, if we can't find anyone for the CB position, we should wait until the end of the season. Making a purchase is not necessarily what this thread is about, it's about prioritising. If a good CB is available in January we should make his acquisition the top priority - that makes sense, no?

3rd paragraph: I do not understand the relevance of this part to your argument. We both agree that Montolivo is very important to our team.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham
Posts : 8871
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Winter Transfer Market: Priorities Empty Re: Winter Transfer Market: Priorities

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum