Roma v Palermo: Match Discussion

5 posters

Go down

Roma v Palermo: Match Discussion Empty Roma v Palermo: Match Discussion

Post by McLewis Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:20 pm

I dunno about you guys, but even though the results aren't coming, the attacking football we play is among the best on peninsula at the moment and we currently are 2nd in Serie A in goals scored, though this must be tempered with the fact that we also lead Serie A in goals conceded. That is what it is to be coached by Zdenek Zeman though. This means we will not have the discipline to win trophies and we may even miss out on Europe again, but from a footballing perspective, that first 30 minutes or so when we come out of the game and are virtually unplayable, for me that's as visually aesthetic as football can be.

Squad News

Mauro Goicoechea will make his first Serie A start today under fortunate circumstances. Considering that both our first and second choice keepers have picked up injuries, the wait to see the Uruguayan in action hasn't been too long. Behind him remains Tomas Svedkauskas on the bench.

In defense, Federico Balzaretti and Rodrigo Taddei have both recovered from injury and should be in the squad with Balzaretti expected to take the LB spot away from one of Dodo or Marquinho. Leandro Castan shook off an injury and will start alongside Marquinhos in the center with Ivan Piris expected to pip Taddei to the RB spot.

It's currently a little unclear as to if Daniele De Rossi will play today as there's been conflicting reports that he picked up an ankle injury in training Friday that kept him out of yesterday's training, which puts him at risk for the game today, but there have been other reports and probable XIs that have him in the squad so it's anyone's guess as to if he'll be fit enough, I sure hope so. In comes Miralem Pjanic, who should start with Panagiotis Tachtsidis and Alessandro Florenzi. Michael Bradley will once again drop to the bench after starting against Parma. Marquinho also remains an option in midfield as well as LB with Perrotta also available.

Up top, The trio of Totti-Osvaldo-Lamela should remain unchanged with Mattia Destro having to be content with a spot on the bench, but I would expect him to get some time today. Nico Lopez once again looks out of the picture completely.

Roma v Palermo: Match Discussion AbDFdjhamS

The Opposition: US Citta di Palermo

Roma v Palermo: Match Discussion 130px-US_Citt%C3%A0_di_Palermo_Logo.svg

Having won once and drawn 4 times in their last 4 games, including a rather debilitating capitulation of a 2-0 lead against Milan last weekend, Palermo seem to be doing so-so for themselves under Gian Piero Gasperini, but the results haven't gone their way largely so because of that, they sit 10 places below us in 17th place, 6 points adrift us as well. Seen as a side similar to us in their ability to apply loads of attacking pressure and apply their intricate, free flowing play going forward, Palermo are quite good on their day. They have a real problem away from the Renzo Barbera though as they have not won away from home in 7 months and have only scored once away this season.

The Coach: Gian Piero Gasperini

Roma v Palermo: Match Discussion Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYiyNPAMJCkLmFhlAjAZPutNbj_ABkKMuYEhpXpzJivhdGLrk7

Once considered a worthy heir to Alex Ferguson's throne at Man United when he was coaching one of the best Genoa sides in the club's history, to say that Gasperini's stock has merely fallen would be a bit of an understatement, his star has plummeted following the fall of Genoa. We thought he may have rebounded when he took the job at Inter after they dismissed Rafa Benitez, but that ill-fated 4 game stint ended completely in ignominy for Grugliasco-born tactician. Under the always chaotic confines of the Zamperini-led Palermo, Gasperini may already be under the caush if he doesn't start getting results and getting the club away from the relegation zone.

The Captain & Dangerman: Fabrizio Miccoli

Roma v Palermo: Match Discussion Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSxjmw31DqwMwHr7Tgy-b3DjooZJJu_2fhfygNuoQNHpJ9CZnS

A traditional diminutive Italian trequartista much in the mold of Alessandro Del Piero, Miccoli is a quick, intelligent and technically brilliant player, possessing an array of skill on the ball as well as an eye for stunning goals. Currently with 3 goals to his name this season, he is La Rosanero's top scorer and he also is 2nd behind only Stevan Jovetic in terms of shots on goal with 35, just 5 ahead of Erik Lamela. He's got a decent record against us so when Palermo score today, look for him to be the one either doing the scoring or facilitating it.

Pre-game Analysis/Prediction

History favors us in this game, but it also favored us against both Udinese and Parma so with games like this one, it's ultimately moot to depend on such things. I expect Palermo to come flying out of the traps so we may either have a very good first 20 minutes or a very bad first 20 minutes, as has been the normal all season. Zeman said in his press conference that he will not change his tactics, citing Barcelona as a reference. While this may seem mismatched at first read, I agree with him. He has never compromised himself like that before so I see no reason to start now and with that in mind, he will look to get this team playing 90 minutes of the football we see normally for only about 20-30 minutes. We do that and Palermo won't have much of a change today.

4-2 Roma.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Roma v Palermo: Match Discussion Empty Re: Roma v Palermo: Match Discussion

Post by Ganso Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:59 pm

did castan get benched? scratch
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:09 pm

Almost spot on with your prediction Neal Thumbs up

Good win tonight, almost a perfect performance, up until Destro happened :facepalm: MOTM for me was Osvaldo, great match from him tonight.

Starting from the back, Goicoechea did well when called upon, he only worried me with his positioning on Miccoli's corners. Good to see Burdisso back in the lineup, his communication helped keep our back line on the same page. He was unlucky on Illicic's goal, I think he was fouled, thankfully the game was already beyond reach for Palermo. Marquinhos played a good game as well, only missing one clearance in the first half, handing the ball straight to the opposition. Piris and Balzaretti were not really threatened on their respective flanks. With Palermo fielding a 5 man midfield and really lacking width, their jobs were quite simple.

Tachtsidis had a relatively good game. He stuck to his position well and made one excellent play in the second half after which he missed his ball to Osvaldo. I didn't notice him all that much, but that's just fine by me. Florenzi had a decent showing, no glaring errors, covered a lot of ground. Bradley was the best in midfield. He stayed slightly ahead of Tachtsidis and Florenzi, always making runs forward and properly supporting our attackers. Marquinho did well after being subbed on, full of running as well and caused Palermo a few problems when making his way forward.

Up front, a great display all round. I mentioned Osvaldo, he did well offensively but also covered a lot of ground when defending which was great to see. Totti played another great game, I don't know what more to say on him. And Lamela built upon his great form, scoring again. Really, when any of these players were on the ball, you just felt that something was going to happen.

ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 pm

Listening to Zeman's press conference, this man is awesome. No one else with that tone of voice could possibly be this funny.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Zeman: 'Roma can work together'
By Football Italia staff

Zdenek Zeman praised Roma’s midfield and forwards for finally helping out in defence, but admits to a concern ahead of the Derby della Capitale.

“When you win, people say there are improvements, but we had done pretty well in other games too,” said the Coach after their 4-1 victory against Palermo.

“Tonight we got a good result, I am happy for the lads and hope they continue to believe in this football.”

Zeman was asked whether leaving out the injured Daniele De Rossi actually made Roma more suited to his ideas.

Michael Bradley and De Rossi have similar characteristics. Mauro Goicoechea did well this evening, we brought him to Roma and are all happy with him.”

Mattia Destro scored his first goal for the club, but also received a second yellow card for taking his shirt off his head during the celebration.

“I still think the rule is wrong. He didn’t take the jersey off completely. I understand Destro scored his first goal for Roma and was very happy, so I hope he will score many more in future. Naturally he will be suspended now and it is damaging.”

Unusually after two consecutive 3-2 defeats, the Giallorossi barely allowed any Palermo shots on target this evening.

“I have always said in football there are two phases. The midfield and also strikers helped out the defence tonight, especially Osvaldo who worked very hard. If all 11 players work then we shouldn’t have any problems,” continued Zeman on Sky Sport Italia.

“Erik Lamela has great talent, pace and technique, which he is using to score goals. Nicolas Burdisso always worked hard and tried his best, but he was not accustomed to playing this way and just took a little longer to change his style after so many years.

“I observed Panagiotis Tachtsidis in Serie B last season and he impressed me with his vision, so he is confirming what I saw. Maybe some see him differently, but I think he’s doing a great job when attacking and defending.

“I would like to eliminate horizontal passes, as they can be easily intercepted and spark counter-attacks.”

Next Sunday afternoon there is the huge Derby della Capitale and Lazio lost 4-0 in Catania today, so are Roma the favourites?

“Usually the team that is the favourite tends to lose the derby. It was better to win, of course, as long as we don’t get complacent or think everything has been sorted out.

“Will I dive in a fountain if we win? No, I only go in the sea in summer.”

Highlighted that line because I think it gives a good indication to how we'll line up against Lazio next week. In his press conference, when a journalist questioned Zeman's previous words, saying that the Czech doesn't in fact see the derby as just a regular match, Zeman responded by saying that he does see it as just another match, but De Rossi doesn't. I would really expect De Rossi to start with Tachtsidis and Florenzi next week.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by narbeZ Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:23 pm

Fun game to watch. Bradley had a real good showing I felt. Caused havoc , and broke up a lot of Palermo's plays. Lamela again, impressed. Probably should have bagged a brace. His awesome "no look" shot was brilliance. Although I still see myself as optimistic about the team this year, Lamela has really came into his own under Zeman. I hope he can become our next Totti.

The lack of celebrations from the players is somewhat disheartening I find though. Goals come so easy this year, but I really feel like there seems to be some sort of tension between Lamela-Totti-Osvaldo. Lets hope they all figure it out, because its evident all three are going to get their fair share of goals this year.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bradley start a few more games.

Not too many have mentioned how well Marquinhos has been playing. It's hard when we do have one of the worst defenses in the league, but I feel like he has good potential, can't say I feel the same way about Castan/Tachtsidis/Piris.
narbeZ
narbeZ
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:44 am

Thought Bradley had a great game, as well as the fantastic 3 up top who all seem to be doing better with every game. Goicochea was reliable, which is more than we can say of Stek recently, and I think he should be given more chances to keep doing that. Great game overall, Palermo barely figured into it.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:00 am

Highly impressed with Goicoechea though in truth, Palermo didn't really test him much which is a bit surprising. Nonetheless, he looked pretty assured in his handling, but as Mike said he did look a bit nervy with Miccoli bearing down on him.

Piris once again had a fine game down the right as he used Palermo's lack of presence to drive forward and provide us width, combining well with Lamela as well as putting in the decisive cross that eventually led to Totti's goal. Wasn't at all expecting to see Burdisso back and I was rather wary that he was considering that he doesn't seem to understand Zeman's system, but he allayed those fears today as he marshaled the defense admirably and snuffed out the threat of Miccoli more than once. Alongside him, the young Marquinhos continues his growth with another good performance. He doesn't seem to mind whichever older CB is beside him, but you get the distinct feeling that he's got more to learn about Serie A defending from Burdisso than he does from Castan, which is quite understandable. Balzaretti had a decent game on the left, but I don't think I can go further than that. Still looks rather off the pace a bit.

Bradley was crucial to us keeping a hold of this game with his constant harrying of the Palermo midfielders and attackers. Not only that, he provided good thrust from deep and made some good late runs into the box, though some were not picked up on when they probably should've been. I'm beginning to see why Zeman prefers Tachtsidis in the central role. He doesn't want a straight AM like Pjanic in there nor does he want a more defensive player like De Rossi there either. Tachtsidis, like Bradley, fills both roles quite well and that showed today as he used his strength to bully Palermo off the ball while providing some good balls forward to the attackers. Florenzi was his energetic self, buzzing around, linking play, tracking back and cutting out passes, then bombing forward again. Real hustle and bustle from the youngster today. Nothing flashy or spectacular, but then again, it wasn't really needed.

Totti currently sits on 219 goals today, inching close to the next legend to surpass. Other than the goal, he was everywhere and I mean that. He was dictating the play from deep, popping up to have a go and finish off chances, and more importantly, tracking back to help his defense, which had to have pleased Zeman immensely. In the middle, Osvaldo did even more work all over the pitch as he gave Pisano and Munoz a torrid time with his combative play and relentless pressuring. Well taken goal from a potentially tough angle to make it 2-0. And then there's Lamela, who was simply unplayable for stretches of this match. He constantly sucked Pisano into his path only to ghost past him time and again. The lad's skill on the ball is among the best in Serie A and I would say even better than El Shaarawy, who has quickly become his rival this season. 7 goals for him now as he continues his best season to date. As for Destro.....7 minutes of pure craziness from him. The red card was bullshit honestly since he didn't completely take off his shirt, but I guess the ref did it for the intent, but Destro was incredibly foolish anyway considering that really bad tackle mere minutes after he came on. He's got to control himself better than that. Not having someone like him to look to in the derby is going to be a huge letdown, but the upside is that this will force Zeman to look at Nico Lopez now.

Overall, I will say the same thing I said after we beat Genoa. This isn't a turning point. We had a great game and it should be left at that so we can focus on the derby.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:47 am

I wouldn't go as far as saying as this is a turning point either. However, these are three really important points, especially since Lazio dropped points this round and we are heading into the derby next week. On top of that, we saw some important signs in terms of our play, even though we were playing against a Palermo well below par.

Firstly, the center back pairing. I would really say that the Castan-Marquinhos partnership is the best one suited to Zeman's style of football. Castan has the size and strength needed at the back, while Marquinhos has the pace and ease on the ball. That being said, Burdisso, though not accustomed to playing the high line, brings that experience factor that both Brazilians need alongside them, especially in big games. He knows how to command the back line which today seemed to move in a much more synchronized manner compared to our other matches. My conclusion, though Castan has been our most consistent CB so far this season, I would go ahead with the Burdisso-Marquinhos partnership because it seems to be the best fit at the moment.

Another point I'd like to bring up for our defense is the importance of the man standing behind them. Now don't get me wrong, I've always said Stekelenburg is a fantastic keeper. However he's been quite shaky at times and there doesn't seem to be that necessary mutual confidence between him and our defenders. In contrast, Goicoechea, being Uruguayan, could easily communicate with the likes of Burdisso and Piris and has an advantage whereas Stek has shown to have difficulty communicating with the men in front of him. Despite Stekelenburg being ahead in terms of ability, the advantage that Goicoechea holds in terms of communication cannot be overlooked and may be a factor that makes Zeman favor the Uruguayan anyway once Stekelenburg is available.

Onto the opposite end of the pitch. Lamela is on a great run and brimming with confidence. He's scoring and tearing defenses to shreds. Rewind to 1997 during Zeman's first spell with us, molding a 21 year old Francesco Totti in the exact same position and helping him break into double-digit scoring figures for the first time in his young career. Lamela, if he continues on this pace, is set to surpass Totti's mark of 13 and 12 goals under the guidance of the Czech tactician. Now, I'm definitely not going to say that Lamela is the next Totti and so on since he does still have a lot of work to do. However the numbers and striking comparisons are there. If I were in Lamela's shoes, I would soak in every little bit of knowledge possible from Zeman, because if there's one coach capable of developing a great attacker, it's him. I just hope he realizes how lucky he is at the moment and continues to work as hard as he is at the moment, because this could be a turning point in his career.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum