Best Defensive midfielder in the Universe.

+16
Luca
Kingofeverythingclassy
Tomwin Lannister
Abramovich
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forza
Onyx
Vlad the Impaler
nh01
chinomaster182
McAgger
red&blacklegion
kiranr
Dnmac4
Le Samourai
The Messiah
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best Defensive midfielder in the Universe. - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Defensive midfielder in the Universe.

Post by Onyx Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:41 pm

DM's don't need to offer much going forward imo.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Best Defensive midfielder in the Universe. - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Defensive midfielder in the Universe.

Post by Luca Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:45 pm

TomJuve wrote:I'm pretty sure Vidal won the ball last season more than any other DM in top level football and he also contributes nicely to ball retention and can score. His dribbling skills often go unnoticed due to him being a play breaker and he's dribbled his way forward and grabbed himself a goal on many occasions.

For me after last season, Vidal.

Yes he likes to get forward but his primary job is defending and covering Pirlo to allow him to control the game. I class him as a CDM.
If Vidal isn't recognised as a CDM then my vote would go to DDR.

Vidal isn't really a DM either though, he doesn't exactly sit in front of the back four (or three in this case)

He has immense workrate, but that doesn't make him a defensive midfielder in my mind

My vote also goes to De Rossi

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:DM's don't need to offer much going forward imo.

That's a classical example why king will make a better coach than you.

Also when he said offer much going forward, I don't think he means much as in what Oezil, Kroos etc offers, he means it like Martinez and Vidal way.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingofeverythingclassy Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:DM's don't need to offer much going forward imo.

A very valid way of thinking. You like an absolute destroyer. However that will give you only a very good team who are always playing at their 90%. FACT

If you have a DM who apart from his defensive work can open spaces with his creativity it takes the whole team to a Whole New Level. A full freaking level higher.

Which is why Vidal IMO is a ball playing DM. I dont know why on earth DM's have to De Jong type.

Again nothing against having a Pure Destroyer but a ball playing creative DM adds a whole new dimension to the team.

Kingofeverythingclassy
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:37 am

Having an free flowing team also has its disadvantages, there is no true style that works in every and any situation.

Also please guys do not call Sergio Busquets a defensive midfielder, he does so little defending and when he does its much more positional, forcing the opponent to make mistakes and destroy their shape.

If Sergio Busquets is in the discussion than i'd say he's the best on the planet hands down. I'd take him 10 times out of 10 for my team above Luiz Gustavo or any other player.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:43 am

Best Defensive midfielder in the Universe. - Page 2 Arsenals-Emmanuel-Frimpon-003
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:44 am

chinomaster182 wrote:Having an free flowing team also has its disadvantages, there is no true style that works in every and any situation.

Also please guys do not call Sergio Busquets a defensive midfielder, he does so little defending and when he does its much more positional, forcing the opponent to make mistakes and destroy their shape.

If Sergio Busquets is in the discussion than i'd say he's the best on the planet hands down. I'd take him 10 times out of 10 for my team above Luiz Gustavo or any other player.

Let see what Busquets can do in your team and not Barcelona/Spain...? even I will look like a great player if you put me in Barcelona/Spain set up while playing there for a long time, it's the system and not the players, they have become expect in the system.

That's the reason why I don't rate Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and co, I rate Toni Kroos, Pirlo etc higher than them because all they have done is got used to a system, that don't allow the opposition tackle them hard and then give easy short passes and get favourism from the ref, like Van Gaal once said even prostitutes can become hard to beat when they get used to a system.

But I do rate Messi though.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:05 am

You do have a point, however there is still the fact that besides the system, Barcelona players are extremely gifted with their feet.

Sergio Busquets has a very good technique, his first touch is one of the best in all football, he usually takes less than have a second to make a pass. Of course he can make passes that quick because he knows his teammate is going to be well positioned and he has no need to check, however its not like the passes are made automatically, he plays with the ball at his feet like its nothing.

The harder the opposition tries to press him, the more he chuckles and makes them prey of his game. Its very hard to dispossess him.

Just this alone makes him a very very valuable player, add in the fact he can go back and slot in as CB, the fact that he is so positionally intelligent he can trap opponents into making a mistake, the fact that he is an excellent dribbler or the fact that he is one of the tallest in the team of midgets and its easy to see why he's an undisputed starter.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:30 am

chinomaster182 wrote:You do have a point, however there is still the fact that besides the system, Barcelona players are extremely gifted with their feet.

Sergio Busquets has a very good technique, his first touch is one of the best in all football, he usually takes less than have a second to make a pass. Of course he can make passes that quick because he knows his teammate is going to be well positioned and he has no need to check, however its not like the passes are made automatically, he plays with the ball at his feet like its nothing.

The harder the opposition tries to press him, the more he chuckles and makes them prey of his game. Its very hard to dispossess him.

Just this alone makes him a very very valuable player, add in the fact he can go back and slot in as CB, the fact that he is so positionally intelligent he can trap opponents into making a mistake, the fact that he is an excellent dribbler or the fact that he is one of the tallest in the team of midgets and its easy to see why he's an undisputed starter.

All these can be said about all Barcelona players, I can take Busquet name out and replace with Alves, Xavi, Iniesta and it will still make sense and as for slotting in as CB, I can replace his name with Yaya Toure(although I rate him) Macherano and it will still make sense.

In conclusion it's the system, that's why it applies to all Barca players.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:34 am

So you think you can make a Goal Legacy XI, put them into a time machine, reverse time, put them all into La Masia and out will come a team that is as good as this current Barcelona team?
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:37 am

Raptorgunner wrote:Best Defensive midfielder in the Universe. - Page 2 Arsenals-Emmanuel-Frimpon-003

Agger makes getting fouled look awesome :bow:
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:54 am

chinomaster182 wrote:So you think you can make a Goal Legacy XI, put them into a time machine, reverse time, put them all into La Masia and out will come a team that is as good as this current Barcelona team?

I don't understand what you mean but what I believe is that Barcelona are advantage takers, they really enjoyed their moment didn't they..? They took advantage of a time when great teams like Bayern-1998-2001, Madrid 1999-2002, Juventus 2000-2003, Milan 2004-07, Liverpool-2005-07, Arsenal-2002-04 all fell in numbers. (Great suffering)

They really ate and enjoyed their cake to a large extent without no one to share it with them except for some English teams, United and Chelsea, even with that they needed favouritism to get pass Chelsea and then again Arsenal and many more.

What do you expect when you have Madrid with Drenthe, Bayern with Lell, Breno and co, Arsenal with Old Campbell, Juventus in Seria B, Milan players all getting old, coming up against Barca who were at their peak between these years.

Barcelona was never the best of time, lack of competition between 2006-10 is trully the best of all time and Barcelona players really enjoyed their moment and ate their fat big cakes all by themselves and they are still eating.

Now that Madrid, Bayern Munchen, Juventus are back lets see how far they will go, especially since teams like Chelsea, Man City and Dortmund has also evolved, I am dying to see Liverpool, Milan, Inter and Arsenal come back to their days of glory.

I am dying to see all Barcelona fan boys and glory hunters migrating in bunk and Manchester United also benefited from the great suffering but in a lesser degree compare to Barcelona.

This is the reason why people rate Barcelona player so highly, now that the going is about to get tough, there will be competition, Barcelona will be floor and flood in up coming years, starting from last season.

Now players like Hazard, Kroos, Oezil, Kawaga, Reus, Vidal, Muller are ready to take away their days of free glories.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by DiRocco Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:06 am

De Rossi is the best DM on the planet. No doubts about it.

Gustavo may have more pace and be physically more impressive, but DDR has been gifted in other ways that cant be taught.

His timing is second to none. He seems to appear at just the right moment with outrageous sliding tackles and timely interceptions. Its like he comes out of thin air, because you think its a pure goal scoring chance for the opposition and then as if out of no where DDR comes in and saves the day. His tackling technique is superb, hes aggressive, hard nosed, passionate, and above all else never gives up on the ball. He also has the technique to pick out passes and evade players in a way most "destroyers" could not dream of.

I will admit I have not watched Gustavo as much as De Rossi, but I have seen enough to know that hes not on DDRs level...yet. Perhaps one day he will be able to take the tittle, but for now I dont really even think an arguement can be made on his behalf.

This thread is a great read though! Keep it going!
DiRocco
DiRocco
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:53 am

Well, I didn't see anyone like him to contain both CR7 and Özil together for the large portion of the game last season.

I don't think DDR is better than him defensively, not at all. DDR is the better play overall though through his tactical discipline and playmaking skills. Song, Cabaye or Lucas have nothing on him defensively. I don't know what chinomaster was smoking Laughing

His latest... :coffee:
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:14 am

DDR is very good, as a matter of fact I don't know what in the universe made me forget about him when I was making this thread.

Gustavo is the most destructive DM in the game, he's restricted a lot in Bayern and he's still developing. One good thing about him, is his pace and time tackling, ability to tackle without getting booked by the ref.

If I was the coach I would try using this formation.

-------------Gustavo-----------------
------Martinez------Kroos/Schweini----

I doubt if Bayern will concede up to 15 league goals with Gustavo directly in from of the defence, we'll dominate an team in the world.

The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:19 am

Babun wrote:I don't think DDR is better than him defensively, not at all. DDR is the better play overall though through his tactical discipline and playmaking skills.

No offense, but i think you don't know what you are talking about.De Rossi isn't better than Gustavo defensively?

De Rossi is the best defensively.He is that kind of "complete defensive midfielder".He has won the World Cup with him on the pitch being one of the most important pieces for Italy.He is very experienced...He also has an amazing character and personality.He has more influence in the locker room than any CDM in the world.There are many aspects and arguments PRO De Rossi, but i won't give them because i can't belive that i have to. Surprised
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:45 pm

DDR I respect him a lot but Gustavo is the most destructive player on the surface of the earth, watch the video as explanation is needed..
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:56 pm

vlafy wrote:
Babun wrote:I don't think DDR is better than him defensively, not at all. DDR is the better play overall though through his tactical discipline and playmaking skills.

No offense, but i think you don't know what you are talking about.De Rossi isn't better than Gustavo defensively?

De Rossi is the best defensively.He is that kind of "complete defensive midfielder".He has won the World Cup with him on the pitch being one of the most important pieces for Italy.He is very experienced...He also has an amazing character and personality.He has more influence in the locker room than any CDM in the world.There are many aspects and arguments PRO De Rossi, but i won't give them because i can't belive that i have to. Surprised
I watched both. Gustavo closes down faster than him, covers more ground and tackles more ruthlessly. DDR is tactically more sound and possesses superior passing ability. Overall, DDR is better than him by a margin but defensively Gustavo is superior to him. I mean the physical part of the game of course. Positioning wise, DDR is superior.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by DiRocco Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:42 am

Breaks the play up at the back, runs forward and releases a goal scoring chance. Say what you want, but overall DDR IS the best DM...And thats all that really matters. This is not an isiolated play, he does this almost every game for Roma and Italy.
DiRocco
DiRocco
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:55 am

Babun wrote:
vlafy wrote:

I watched both. Gustavo closes down faster than him, covers more ground and tackles more ruthlessly. DDR is tactically more sound and possesses superior passing ability. Overall, DDR is better than him by a margin but defensively Gustavo is superior to him. I mean the physical part of the game of course. Positioning wise, DDR is superior.

Ok, i understand perfectly what you're saying but let me point my idea in other words:

Gustavo can compete with De Rossi only when he will achieve almost the same level of performance with the national team.Why?Because the pressure is very much higher and he must prove that he has a solid mind and he is capable of making decisive decisions in crucial moments, like De Rossi did in the WC 2006 final when he scored for Italy at the penalties.

Untill now, he is experienced when it comes about the club performances and knows a bit of what means 'HIGH PRESSURE ON THE SHOULDERS'.I agree that he has maybe the highest potential in the world but let the time decide if he reaches the overall level of Daniele De Rossi.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by mea95 Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:43 am

Rangnick, former Schalke 04 coach, who won vs Inter 7-3 or 7-4 on aggregate, said that Luiz Gustavo is the best defensive midfielder in the world when he was with Hoffenheim. And when Bayern bought Gustavo Rangnick has resigned as Hoffenheim coach because he wanted him in his team
mea95
mea95
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingofeverythingclassy Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:01 pm

vlafy wrote:
Babun wrote:
vlafy wrote:

Ok, i understand perfectly what you're saying but let me point my idea in other words:

Gustavo can compete with De Rossi only when he will achieve almost the same level of performance with the national team.Why?Because the pressure is very much higher and he must prove that he has a solid mind and he is capable of making decisive decisions in crucial moments, like De Rossi did in the WC 2006 final when he scored for Italy at the penalties.

Untill now, he is experienced when it comes about the club performances and knows a bit of what means 'HIGH PRESSURE ON THE SHOULDERS'.I agree that he has maybe the highest potential in the world but let the time decide if he reaches the overall level of Daniele De Rossi.

What have Giggs,Scholes or Vidic achieved with the NT?? OR George Best?? Are these NT legends??

Kingofeverythingclassy
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Giggs, Scholes and Vidic won much more achievements with the club.It's enough.Seriously...the comparison between players is different, there are different filters from case to case Smile.

De Rossi has on his part the NT performances; players like Giggs, Scholes, Vidic have very much achievements with the club, they don't even need NT performances to prove more.De Rossi needed.

Gustavo has more to win with the club if he wants to come close to those players.

Anyway, i don't judge you, you can believe anything.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:54 am

Best Defensive midfielder in the Universe. - Page 2 Untitled-99nsib

Bastain and Toni are the best holding midfielder on the surface of the planets
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Gustavo can't stop scoring, haha!
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum