Is Luis Suarez the worst finisher amongst the top level strikers?

+29
TheRedStag
BeautifulGame
free_cat
vivabarca38
spanky
AnJl
RED
stevieg8
EL Patron
Raptorgunner
Freeza
Dnmac4
donttreadonred
Emaharg
Forza
Nishankly
Rev
Babun
Le Samourai
Great Leader Sprucenuce
The Messiah
lszanto
McAgger
Art Morte
Vibe
Red Alert
Onyx
Kick
julias
33 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is Luis Suarez the worst finisher amongst the top level strikers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Luis Suarez the worst finisher amongst the top level strikers?

Post by Dnmac4 Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:38 pm

julias wrote:How are Liverpool going to get back into CL spots with this guy missing 7 good chances all the time lol. Some of his misses are laughable, I mean some of them are poor at any level of football.

I am shocked because I see this so often from him and he scored bucket loads in Holland (Iknow Dutch football but still).

WTF lol

It's funny you wrote this thread as I was going to write a similar one last year. IT seems that when people judge his play alone and not his attitude or sendings off or whatever else he is thought of as world class.

In fact out of all the transfers Pool made people leave him out of every conversation about the transfers not living up to there price tag.

The fact is, he too has been very dissapointing and then add the bad behavior on top of it and he's really been something of an enigma.

I mean Andy Carroll gets ten times the abuse that Suarez does and don't get me wrong Suarez has been the beter player but a lot of his stats came in the domestic Cup competitions and not in the games.

I think the OP is right, he has been dissapointing up until now and for some reason people just refuse to say so.

Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Is Luis Suarez the worst finisher amongst the top level strikers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Luis Suarez the worst finisher amongst the top level strikers?

Post by julias Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:59 pm

It seems people are struggling with what I put in my title, at no point did I call him top 10 or one of best strikers or whatever.

By top level I'm referring to one of the better strikers/attackers around, maybe I should have explained that before as his all round game points to that.

I just think his finishing is so damn poor lol.
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Rev wrote:I think what the OP meant to say is that for all his attacking talent, his finishing is not up to standards and could be improved.

Actually, isn't his role to create ? You've got players like Borini and Carrol to finish those chances created by him.

It's all up to the coach to judge his players strengths and weaknesses and tweak the team according to it.
Still mutually exclusive... He didn't write top striker with bad or questionable finishing, he wrote the worst eco smile
Do you speak English? There's nothing after worst.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Babun wrote:
Rev wrote:I think what the OP meant to say is that for all his attacking talent, his finishing is not up to standards and could be improved.

Actually, isn't his role to create ? You've got players like Borini and Carrol to finish those chances created by him.

It's all up to the coach to judge his players strengths and weaknesses and tweak the team according to it.
Still mutually exclusive... He didn't write top striker with bad or questionable finishing, he wrote the worst eco smile

The title of my thread has a question mark at the end and you have taken it as a statement. I am asking for opinions not making a statement.

Which leads me to my other question, can you read English properly? Very Happy
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Babun wrote:

The worst of the top level striking at finishing doesn't have to mean that he is a bad finisher, it means that he is the least good of them.

But on topic, i find his finishing to be awful ever since he joined Liverpool, in Ajax he would score on anything and everything
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Freeza wrote:
Babun wrote:

The worst of the top level striking at finishing doesn't have to mean that he is a bad finisher, it means that he is the least good of them.

But on topic, i find his finishing to be awful ever since he joined Liverpool, in Ajax he would score on anything and everything

Someone who understands English :bow:
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Is Luis Suarez the worst finisher amongst the top level strikers? - Page 2 Luis-Suarez-lookalike
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Nishank wrote:He isnt exactly an ST. He plays just behind the striker, He does his job well there. Sadly we dont have a good enough ST, So we rely on Suarez a bit too much. Actually he is "Liverpool's attack".

Even if he is one of the worst finishers, still managed 17 goals last season. He'll get more this season..

Scores or not, I just love watching him play.

He's to you what Ben Arfa is to us, all the attacks go through him, fantastic dribbler who can take 4 or 5 players out with one move.

Difference is Suarez is expected to score goals and with his goalscoring record at Ajax rightly so.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:25 pm

Suarez needs to learn how to place his shots, most of the times he just shoots and hopes it goes in
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Nishank wrote:He isnt exactly an ST. He plays just behind the striker, He does his job well there. Sadly we dont have a good enough ST, So we rely on Suarez a bit too much. Actually he is "Liverpool's attack".

Even if he is one of the worst finishers, still managed 17 goals last season. He'll get more this season..

Scores or not, I just love watching him play.

He's to you what Ben Arfa is to us, all the attacks go through him, fantastic dribbler who can take 4 or 5 players out with one move.

Difference is Suarez is expected to score goals and with his goalscoring record at Ajax rightly so.

I never said i don't want him to score goals. I just love watching the guy play. Hopefully he starts scoring soon.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:05 pm

He scored 17 last season, despite missing 9 games to suspension. Maybe it's not that he's such a poor finisher, but he just creates so many chances it feels like he's worse than he is.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Wastes too many chances. Still a very talented player though, and most of the time, he creates chances for himself tbf to him.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Let me rephrase my statement from earlier in this thread now that I'm more calm and composed. Suarez could be a very good finisher if he chooses to. The biggest problem with him is that he goes for the highlight goal time and again, instead of just simply going for the finish. Take his Nowich hattrick for example. Which other top striker gets through on goal and takes a shot from the halfway line when the better choice is to get close to the goal and simply take a placed shot?? Suarez goes for the extraordinary over of the ordinary and that's why he misses so many.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by AnJl Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Vibe wrote:Suarez always puts in a great shot,he misses by an inch every time lol.He is just cursed...Misses that small are more about luck than his ability.

It's the curse of Liverpool...

The power of black magic :bow:

:evra:
AnJl
AnJl
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:31 pm

dunno, but he seems to be good with his hands

if u know what i mean Twisted Evil
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:38 pm

spanky489 wrote:dunno, but he seems to be good with his hands

He's only good at defending with his hand!!! Sadly he can't use his hand the way Messi can in the oppositions box.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 am

stevieg8 wrote:He scored 17 last season, despite missing 9 games to suspension. Maybe it's not that he's such a poor finisher, but he just creates so many chances it feels like he's worse than he is.

Quoted for truth.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:28 am

His goal tally means nothing in this discussion really and only 11 of them happened in the league

Cisse managed to get more in 10 games rofl

But seriously he could score every game and miss 10 chances because he scored that 1 goal it wouldn't make him a good finisher.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:30 pm

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:
spanky489 wrote:dunno, but he seems to be good with his hands

He's only good at defending with his hand!!! Sadly he can't use his hand the way Messi can in the oppositions box.
haha great response.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:26 pm

He used to score 40 goals a season in holland with good effectivity. He can't have unlearned his finishing. He probably is in a bad patch of form or is lacking a bit of adaptation to PL rythm.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:30 pm

free_cat wrote:He used to score 40 goals a season in holland with good effectivity. He can't have unlearned his finishing. He probably is in a bad patch of form or is lacking a bit of adaptation to PL rythm.

He's been here for more than 18 months, i'm sorry but that's nothing more than an excuse now.

Alfonso Alves had a great record in Holland it means little quite frankly.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
free_cat wrote:He used to score 40 goals a season in holland with good effectivity. He can't have unlearned his finishing. He probably is in a bad patch of form or is lacking a bit of adaptation to PL rythm.

He's been here for more than 18 months, i'm sorry but that's nothing more than an excuse now.

Alfonso Alves had a great record in Holland it means little quite frankly.

Alfonso Alves was a one season wonder even in holland, no?
Difficult to compare to a player like Suarez who has proved he is good in Holland, with his national team and with liverpool too (his only problem being his finishing with Liverpool).
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:13 pm

As i said before a goal record doesn't mean anything when talking about finishing.

He could play a game for Uruguay miss 10 chances and score once and he gets a goal to add to his record.

Doesn't mean he's a good finisher though, i have watched him for Uruguay on many occasions and he misses lorry loads of chances there too.

He's just simply not a very good finisher, very good player though.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:As i said before a goal record doesn't mean anything when talking about finishing.

He could play a game for Uruguay miss 10 chances and score once and he gets a goal to add to his record.

Doesn't mean he's a good finisher though, i have watched him for Uruguay on many occasions and he misses lorry loads of chances there too.

He's just simply not a very good finisher, very good player though.

Fine, then he's a poor finisher. But I'd rather take someone who creates 4-5 chances every game, but scores every couple of games as a result than someone who creates 1 chance every few games but finishes it. At least Suarez is consistently contributing to every game, even when he's not scoring. And if that's the way we define finishing ability, I'd say it's a pretty useless distinction.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Maybe but the thread is about poor finishers no one is putting Suarez's ability as a player down.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Suarez is a poor finisher for Liverpool.End of story.

But what baffles me is he suddenly turns to be Inzagi every time he plays for Uruguay.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next