+3
Mr Nick09
dostoevsky
Forza
7 posters

Go down

Kevin Strootman Empty Kevin Strootman

Post by Forza Mon May 21, 2012 10:27 am

There's been some confusion about what position he plays and his main qualities. The following article should make things clearer (from 442). It is fairly long but still a great read. FYI, we are now meant to be in talks for him according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

~~~

As Kevin Strootman prepares to turn out for the Dutch national team on Friday night, it's a far cry from De Adelaarshorst. That 6,700-capacity stadium in Deventer is where Strootman started last season, lining up for Sparta Rotterdam at Go Ahead Eagles in Dutch football's second tier.

Strootman scored Sparta’s equaliser that day, and his stock has continued to rise sharply ever since. As Dutch national team coach Bert van Marwijk, who has gradually become one of Strootman's biggest fans, puts it: "I think the boy can go a long way."

In fact one of the things that impressed Van Marwijk was that the young man didn't go very far over summer. Strootman's storming season for Sparta had caught the eye of suitors abroad, from Premier League sides Tottenham and Fulham to Serie A giants AS Roma, but the midfielder opted to stay in his homeland with PSV – much to the national boss's pleasure.

Strootman cuts a languid figure and on first appearance alone it’s hard to imagine he was a creative attacking midfielder in the trequartista mould in his earlier days. But watch him spray the ball over long and short range, with intuition, vision and a gifted left foot, and you'll stop judging this book by its cover.

Born in southern Holland in February 1990 and starting with local side Rijsoord, he joined Sparta’s youth academy in 2007. By January 2008 he was promoted to the senior team and started to create a buzz. He was linked with leading Dutch clubs in summer 2009 after his first full season, but no move transpired and he stayed on.

The following season was the lowest point of his short career. After a disastrous campaign, Sparta were relegated for only the second time in their history. His own individual potential tempted champions FC Twente but again the move didn't happen and he played a further sixteen times for Sparta last season in the second division.

Last winter brought an unsurprising return to the top flight, with FC Utrecht, but perhaps more importantly a switch of position. Adjusting from the advance role he was afforded at Sparta, he became a more reassured, deeper-lying regista, excelling at ball retention and recycling.

That said, Strootman hasn't allowing his attacking instinct to wane; he often joined in with Utrecht attacks and remains confident in goalscoring positions.

His impressive performances at his new club – not to mention the successful procession through the Netherlands U18, U19 and U21 levels – earned him a full cap in the February friendly against Austria, becoming the 21st player to be handed a début under Van Marwijk’s tenure.

After the game he was praised by Wesley Sneijder for his quick adaptation – adjusting to the rhythm of the team without putting a foot wrong– and showing nerves of steel given the situation.

Strootman came into the Dutch consciousness with his usual impeccable timing. After the 2010 World Cup campaign's consistent selection of two destructive defensive midfielders, Van Marwijk has altered the Oranje's central shape.

In truth necessity was the mother of invention, due to Nigel de Jong’s suspension. But using Rafael van der Vaart as a deep-lying playmaker successfully invoked memories of long-ago Holland sides.

The question is whether Van Marwijk will retain it in the long run, especially when Mark van Bommel and Nigel de Jong are both in the squad, but with Finland and Moldova the next opponents after facing San Marino tonight, it's a fair bet that the coach will stick with the creative players.

Strootman was one of the few that stood out in Holland’s mini-tour of South America early in the summer, most notably his performance against Brazil. Van der Vaart's absence allowed him to play in the deep-lying playmaker role – impressively – alongside the more defensively rounded De Jong.

After the tour, amid much speculation, Strootman and his FC Utrecht teammate Dries Mertens moved to PSV for a combined €13M. Before making the move, Strootman spoke with his former Sparta coach Foeke Booy – who had made him the side's captain – and both agreed it was the right step at this stage of his career.
"I could have continued my development at Utrecht," said Strootman, "but PSV is one of the top clubs in Holland, where I can quickly become a better player.

"This was the most logical step. There have been a number of steps in quick succession, but I do not think about it. I wish every day to get the best out of myself and see where it leads.”

While his vision catches the eye, Strootman's leadership is often undervalued. Booy believes that even without the armband, he will be the leader PSV have needed for some time. For guidance, he need only look to the club's assistant manager, the former PSV and Holland legend Phillip Cocu.

Still only 21, Strootman proved his wisdom by not moving from Sparta to a major foreign league: it could have been a step too far. Although many close to him – including former coaches – believe it’s a move he’s destined to one day make, he may have struggled for regular first-team football at say Spurs or Roma.

By contrast, he has been given PSV's No.6 shirt, formerly owned by illustrious names like Mark van Bommel and Jan Poortvliet. Settling in immediately, he scored his first goal for the club in late August against SV Ried, arriving in the penalty area to calmly convert a cross.

With Euro 2012 on the horizon Van Marwijk would love nothing more to have a Dutch squad with strength in depth and Strootman gaining regular football at PSV would allow him to move comfortably to the next step.

When the young midfielder was asked about representing the Oranje in one of his first interviews after joining PSV, he diplomatically stated that only by showing and proving his worth at the Philips Stadion could he then dream of wearing the orange shirt.

If you were to ask Strootman, he probably wouldn’t describe himself as a bona fide defensive midfielder: strong tackling isn’t in his repertoire. However, he excels at spatial awareness and keeping the ball circulating.
Aside from Van Bommel and De Jong, not many defensive midfielders leap to mind. Stijn Schaars – who recently joined Sporting CP – Strootman and possibly Theo Janssen will compete to be Van der Vaart’s understudy as the side's regista.

There’s a school of thought that all three could go to the Euros, but although Van Marwijk has never been afraid of putting his trust in youth, he’s unlikely to overegg the pudding and most likely take two from three.
Perhaps the clearest indication of the coach's thinking could be seen in his squad selection for the postponed friendly against England, where he omitted Janssen and Schaars but included Strootman. In his explanation, Van Marwijk argued that Strootman needs to have a presence now in the squad as the months count down to the summer championships with Holland already having won all six group games so far.

Nothing is certain in football, and a lot can happen over the course of a season. But if Strootman continues his progress, then he could prove his national team manager right in going a long way – on the plane to Poland and Ukraine.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Kevin Strootman Empty Re: Kevin Strootman

Post by dostoevsky Mon May 21, 2012 12:07 pm

The description does make me question his compatibility with Montolivo, though I'd have to watch him play more often to discuss the matter in much depth. Sadly the only time I've been able to watch Strootman was the friendly with Germany in which the Netherlands were torn apart and their lack of competitiveness in midfield was a notable feature, this with Strootman partnered with Van Bommel, however it would be unfair to judge him from one game. It certainly raises questions about the overall composition of the midfield, however dependent upon other midfield transfers it might still be a worthwhile purchase, as long as we have a clear idea about his use and the balance of our midfield.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon May 21, 2012 12:31 pm

If you are wondering if Strootman is ready to spearhead your midfield through Serie A and Europe, then my honest answer from someone who has watched him a little is no. I dont think he is ready for that kind of jump yet, specially when he wont be understudy, but on the frontline himself.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Mon May 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Nicks repeated criticism of Strootman is obviously because he wants us to give up on Strootman so Madrid can sign with no competition
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon May 21, 2012 12:46 pm

BiasedMilanFan3 wrote:Nicks repeated criticism of Strootman is obviously because he wants us to give up on Strootman so Madrid can sign with no competition

I am not criticizing him, i just think he is not ready, and i said he is not a destroyer, which is factual.

He wouldnt fit Madrid atm regardless, so how can that bother me?
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Mon May 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Because I was being serious wasn't I?
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon May 21, 2012 12:55 pm

oh didnt notice Very Happy
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Mon May 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:If you are wondering if Strootman is ready to spearhead your midfield through Serie A and Europe, then my honest answer from someone who has watched him a little is no. I dont think he is ready for that kind of jump yet, specially when he wont be understudy, but on the frontline himself.

Do you pay enough attention to the Eredivisie to gauge whether the speculated interest in Strootman from other clubs such as United is sincere or whether this talk has come a year too early to be realistic? Also if he does move, do you think he's the type of player who can be pushed towards another level with competition by beginning as an understudy or would be better off stabilising his position at PSV rather than risking a national team place by leaving before he's ready and being found out?

If you feel unqualified to answer then sorry for the question spam. Razz
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Mon May 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Where's leemhuis when you need him?! He's probably the only Dutch AC Milan supporter here.

Anyway, Strootman can compete with Monty for a spot, can't he? This is a long-term purchase people, great players don't just rock up at the age of 29 (unless you're Diegoat Milito Mad ).
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon May 21, 2012 3:28 pm

dostoevsky wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:If you are wondering if Strootman is ready to spearhead your midfield through Serie A and Europe, then my honest answer from someone who has watched him a little is no. I dont think he is ready for that kind of jump yet, specially when he wont be understudy, but on the frontline himself.

Do you pay enough attention to the Eredivisie to gauge whether the speculated interest in Strootman from other clubs such as United is sincere or whether this talk has come a year too early to be realistic? Also if he does move, do you think he's the type of player who can be pushed towards another level with competition by beginning as an understudy or would be better off stabilising his position at PSV rather than risking a national team place by leaving before he's ready and being found out?

If you feel unqualified to answer then sorry for the question spam. Razz

I am not an eredivise follower, but he is just a player i took interest in.

Man Utd? i think the talks have come a year too early. You can see the talent, and people will pay attention during the Euros, but it's a bit too early.

i would say that he is better off spending another season playing in Eredivise, but that has to do with the fact that i dont trust the level of the league right now. They have a lot of talents, but he is still a bit young to make the jump to a club like Milan, specially without a veteran player in his position that will guide him.

His true position is CM, maybe with VB returning to PSV he will move in a role that suits him better, n.8.

Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue May 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Thank you for the information Nick, +1.

I'm not a fan of moving a player along and whilst these are not sideways steps he's advanced through squads rapidly recently and from a personal perspective it seems that another season would do him a world of good, however if he does arrive then competition with Montolivo might help him to improve. Personally though, if we were to purchase a player based upon their potential and allow them to be slowly introduced and fight for time, potentially in multiple positions to round him out and help fill gaps I'd be interested in chasing Verratti. Any promising midfielder who isn't a free transfer's exciting enough though.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Mon May 28, 2012 11:25 pm

If we are indeed interested for Strootman , i would preffer if he stayed one more season with PSV , even if we signed him this summer.

Main reason is , he could learn a lot from Van Bommel . It would count a lot.

Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue May 29, 2012 12:43 am

Dante wrote:If we are indeed interested for Strootman , i would preffer if he stayed one more season with PSV , even if we signed him this summer.

...and then some other club with more money would buy him. the only way this would work is if we bought him this summer and loaned him back. and even then... he can learn more in Milan, we have great mentors and coaches here. why does our club have to be so afraid of using young players? why can't he learn and play at the top level at the same time? also, we need more players atm. we don't have much quality in our midfield and we've gone from having heaps of depth to virtually none. i'd rather he stay in Milan if we buy him.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DRK Tue May 29, 2012 2:43 am

I'd rather see him with us than another year in PSV
DRK
DRK
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Tue May 29, 2012 6:39 am

Well we could use him in our midfield...
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Tue May 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Forza Rossoneri wrote:
Dante wrote:If we are indeed interested for Strootman , i would preffer if he stayed one more season with PSV , even if we signed him this summer.

...and then some other club with more money would buy him. the only way this would work is if we bought him this summer and loaned him back. and even then... he can learn more in Milan, we have great mentors and coaches here. why does our club have to be so afraid of using young players? why can't he learn and play at the top level at the same time? also, we need more players atm. we don't have much quality in our midfield and we've gone from having heaps of depth to virtually none. i'd rather he stay in Milan if we buy him.

It would be nice to have him at Milan next season , i won't deny that. 100x times him rather Muntari/Traore.

However , i believe he's not ready to deal with a starting position at Milan , yet. Thus , he will have much time on the bench , even more than he should have if i know Allegri .

Also , Nocerino & Montolivo will be 100% regulars next season , try and put him in the midfield. Where ?

I am serious , Flamini has more chances to start a game than him. But again , i understand what you are thinking and i can honestly say i feel the same about it..

Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2012 8:00 am

dostoevsky wrote:The description does make me question his compatibility with Montolivo, though I'd have to watch him play more often to discuss the matter in much depth. Sadly the only time I've been able to watch Strootman was the friendly with Germany in which the Netherlands were torn apart and their lack of competitiveness in midfield was a notable feature, this with Strootman partnered with Van Bommel, however it would be unfair to judge him from one game. It certainly raises questions about the overall composition of the midfield, however dependent upon other midfield transfers it might still be a worthwhile purchase, as long as we have a clear idea about his use and the balance of our midfield.

Talking about the composition of our midfield, I don't think that a Destroyer is a real necessity as long as all the players in our midfield work as ball winners.In a midfield three of Nocerino--Strootman--Montolivo we'd have the adequate creativity,work rate and the ball winning qualities.For example,we can look to the success of Juve's midfield three.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingofeverythingclassy Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:21 pm

There is an option of buying the player & loaning him to PSV for a year. Strootman is a CM by the way who is decent offensively and defensively.

I rate him highly. His primary strength is amazing vision which very few CM's at his age have

Kingofeverythingclassy
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Kingofeverythingclassy wrote:There is an option of buying the player & loaning him to PSV for a year. Strootman is a CM by the way who is decent offensively and defensively.

I rate him highly. His primary strength is amazing vision which very few CM's at his age have

says who.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down