*NEW TEAM* Western Sydney

+2
dostoevsky
BarcaKizz
6 posters

Go down

*NEW TEAM* Western Sydney Empty *NEW TEAM* Western Sydney

Post by BarcaKizz Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:25 am

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1100263/Western-Sydney-A-League-team-unveiled

Western Sydney A-League team unveiled

4 April 2012-SBS, FFA and AAP

Football Federation Australia announced that Western Sydney will be represented by a new club in the A-League 2012-13 season, which will certainly spell the end of Gold Coast United's existence.

The establishment of the Western Sydney franchise was announced Wednesday at the Football NSW headquarters at Valentine Sports Park, Glenwood, where the Prime Minister Julia Gillard unveiled an $8 million funding package for football development in Western Sydney.

“I’m delighted that the funding from the Gillard Government will help create a fertile environment for the new Hyundai A-League club in Western Sydney,” FFA CEO Ben Buckley said.

“From day one of its existence the new club will have a core focus on community engagement.

"The community will have a say in the culture, colours, name and logo of the new entity and we will explore a model that would allow for community ownership.

“In partnership with Football NSW, FFA will ensure the club is truly integrated in community football, schools programs and the elite player pathway.

We intend to build a model that will be driven by the passion of the football people in Sydney’s west.

“This represents a major investment by FFA in the future of the game and aligns with FFA’s Strategic Plan endorsed by the recent Smith Review.”

After failing to find a financial backer, Buckley confirmed FFA would fund the western Sydney club itself, backing its belief that the area is a huge untapped market for the sport.

But he said future plans are to establish a community model of member investors as opposed to one owner.

"Within a two to three year period we would like to see the ownership transition to either a community-owned model or to have private investors come in and support the club," Buckley said.

Buckley confirmed that FFA has already looked into a potential CEO and members of an independent board for the club.

"We've got a shortlist of candidates for the CEO position, we've got a shortlist of candidates for the board," he said.

The $8 million government funding package includes $1 million to be allocated to the development of women’s football and the Westfield W-League and $3 million for the redevelopment of the Football NSW headquarters at Valentine Sports Park, Glenwood.

Buckley said the inclusion of the new Western Sydney club would be a boost for all clubs in the national competition.

I know that the prospect of having a fierce rival in Sydney and all the passion of a derby game will excite everyone associated with Sydney FC,” he said.

With FFA declaring the A-League will be a 10-team competition, confirmation of the new club in Sydney's west will see GCU go the way of North Queensland Fury with Buckley revealing an announcement will be made on Thursday.

The decision has left Tom Tate, the local businessman and mayoral candidate involved in the consortium bidding the save Gold Coast United, shattered.

"We were transparent about our model and we put it together in just two weeks. Do I feel like we’ve been strung along? A bit like that, yes," Tate said.

"I would have thought if they were considering our bid seriously then Western Sydney would have been put on hold.

"Western Sydney can’t just be born overnight, so it’s obvious to me that our bid wasn’t taken seriously.

“I feel that the commitment from FFA for professional football to remain on the Gold Coast was not there.

“It appears to me that this is not solely about the game itself, it’s about egos that exist at the highest levels of FFA and that’s why we couldn’t save Gold Coast United."
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

*NEW TEAM* Western Sydney Empty Re: *NEW TEAM* Western Sydney

Post by BarcaKizz Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:32 am

Thoughts?

I think its great, and a lot better place to have a team than Gold Coast... its ridiculous that there were efforts to have a GC team before a Western Syd team simply because football is very popular here.

Interesting there is no private investment yet which suggests this was a very quick operation by the FFA. Its going to be very difficult to create a stable and solid club in 6 months. They'll have to work on signings straight away.

The 8m package from the Govt is very nice. What I like to see. Has great potential to benefit the community.

I think the Sydney derby will be crazy. I haven't been to Melbourne, but I would think a rivalry between the 'city club', Sydney FC, and a westies club would be a more heated rivalry. Huuuge potential Very Happy
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:48 am

My Sydney friends are quite excited by this, I hope this works out well, the rivalry will probably take a couple of years to really mean anything, but I'd expect it to make the A-League far more interesting to the city in the near future and that can only be a positive for making moves into such an important centre.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:51 am

wheres the team going to be based? maybe theyll share a home ground with GWS?
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:10 pm

if they get the community engagement right, this team will be fantastic... if not this will be another failed project
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Forza Rossoneri wrote:if they get the community engagement right, this team will be fantastic... if not this will be another failed project

Thats quite clear, but I think the community they are engaging with has so much more potential than North Queensland or the Gold Coast. Thats why they were so keen to make this team.

I don't know where the team is based yet, but I'd say there could be some partnership with GWS.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by isignedupjusttoseesigs Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:49 pm

no south coast team Sad
isignedupjusttoseesigs
isignedupjusttoseesigs
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:10 am

Most popular Western Sydney team name in the Goal.com poll at the moment is the West Sydney Unicorns. Laughing
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:28 am

dostoevsky wrote:Most popular Western Sydney team name in the Goal.com poll at the moment is the West Sydney Unicorns. Laughing
If they end up calling it that, I think I'll have to defect :bow:.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down