Tony Popovic to Coach West Sydney Team

4 posters

Go down

Tony Popovic to Coach West Sydney Team Empty Tony Popovic to Coach West Sydney Team

Post by BarcaKizz Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 am

So West Sydney named rookie coach Tony Popovic as their maiden manager today for the A-League.

Popovic retired from playing with Sydney FC in 2008 after a career abroad including one of the GOAT own goals for Crystal Palace. His management history is minimal:
2008–2011 Sydney FC (Assistant Manager)
2009 Sydney FC (Caretaker)
2011–2012 Crystal Palace (1st team coach)
2012– West Sydney FC

Is this a wise decision by West Sydney? Is he experienced enough? My concern is, not only is this team already going to struggle because they've never played together before, but their manager has never even managed before. Big call from them. I hope he doesn't fail.

In other news Sydney FC have cut another 3 players from their roster leaving just 14 of last year's squad on contracts... This means they will have to sign/promote between 6 and 9 players.... Shocked
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Tony Popovic to Coach West Sydney Team Empty Re: Tony Popovic to Coach West Sydney Team

Post by fatman123 Thu May 17, 2012 9:36 am

how did palace go with him as coach?
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Tony Popovic to Coach West Sydney Team Empty Re: Tony Popovic to Coach West Sydney Team

Post by BarcaKizz Thu May 17, 2012 9:51 am

17th in the Championship, but 1st team coach isn't manager. It means he was a coach, which is just involved in training players. Its almost like 3rd in charge after Manager and Assistant manager.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu May 17, 2012 10:11 am

oh ok, i thought i ment manager

then given that it is a massive gamble to establish a new club with a group of players whove enver played before with a manager whose never managed before

imo the manager needed to be someone old and experienced, even if it cost them an arm and a leg they really did need experience there, they needed to get someone in who knew what to do and wont panic when things dont go well because the first few seasons arent going to be good for the club, they never are for new clubs in any sport because the new club is simply a few paces behind the rest of the competition

not the brightest move from them imo, but i guess only time will tell, personally im quite disapointed, i think theyve just gone "hes been close to managing a big* english team, the a-league should be a breze for him" and hired him based off that

*comparitive to a-league sides
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Thu May 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Completely agree with you. We never know, it could be a masterstroke and free up money for star-signings whom he manages to deal with well. However, gotta look at the facts and a manager was their most important signing for me. Much, much more important than star players in a first season. They need a solid basis and continuity.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Fri May 18, 2012 6:10 am

Good choice. Clubs should experiment more with young coaches in the A-league.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:10 am

ATM, Popo isn't failing with WSW in fact quite the opposite. The defense line is organised week in, week out but we expected that coming from a coach who used to be a great defender in his days. Got Mooy and Ono to keep possession better and create better clear cut chances for Bridge, Haliti and Hersi to leak onto...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:59 am

He's done a magical job. Incredibly organised and really good foltball. IMO he's already earned coach of the year.

The squad also has its holes and yet they are still charging.

Imagine if they had a top striker...
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:46 am

Same here. Dinho is very average... Joel (who will be playing soon with Sydney) would be a great addition to that squad but its not to be. With a decent striker, I would put a decent bet on them winning the GF...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down