RuthlesGangstaDef:villin
billionmillion
la bestia negra
BarrileteCosmico
baresi
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Something really confuses me... - Page 2 Empty Re: Something really confuses me...

Post by kiranr Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:06

rwo power wrote:
kiranr wrote:Secondly, as the two awards are merged and Sneijder did not win the award, and he does if we only consider the media, then does this mean the World Player of The Year award voters (which include the coaches and the captains) dont consider the WC important?
On the other hand, only one coach and a handful of players ever win the WC, so maybe it is a tactical vote by the non-winners to lessen the importance of the WC?

I did think about that one, but you put the question across well. I was thinking along the lines of envy lol.

But, Fifa World Player of The Year awards in the world cup years are

1994 Brazil WC winners: winner Romario
1998 France WC winners: winner Zidane
2002 Brazil WC winners: winner Ronaldo
2006 Italy WC winners: winner Cannavaro

So that could not be the case...

kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Something really confuses me... - Page 2 Empty Re: Something really confuses me...

Post by rwo power Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:20

It really went downhill from 2010 on Very Happy
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:28

rwo power wrote:It really went downhill from 2010 on Very Happy

Could be some sort of propaganda to bring more midgets into the game.. Razz
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:36

Even more midgets? That's so unfair! Where does it leave the GKs? *snif* Ever since Kahn was robbed in 2001, I couldn't take the Ballon d'Or seriously anyway. ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:51

kiranr wrote:
Aren't more votes supposed to be better as it tends to remove certain biases from the sample?

IMO, merging the FIFA world player of the year and the Balon D'or removed the WC bias from the voting. Which is actually a good thing. Because all things said and done, WC is not a big tournament in terms of the number of matches. It would be akin to voting with a bias towards the CL winner every year (Does this bias exist?)

Secondly, as the two awards are merged and Sneijder did not win the award, and he does if we only consider the media, then does this mean the World Player of The Year award voters (which include the coaches and the captains) dont consider the WC important?

So... your argument is; stack more people into an elite voting process = less bias thus resulting it having more credibility?

so why don't they let anybody vote?
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:02

Rossoneri Ninja wrote:
kiranr wrote:
Aren't more votes supposed to be better as it tends to remove certain biases from the sample?

IMO, merging the FIFA world player of the year and the Balon D'or removed the WC bias from the voting. Which is actually a good thing. Because all things said and done, WC is not a big tournament in terms of the number of matches. It would be akin to voting with a bias towards the CL winner every year (Does this bias exist?)

Secondly, as the two awards are merged and Sneijder did not win the award, and he does if we only consider the media, then does this mean the World Player of The Year award voters (which include the coaches and the captains) dont consider the WC important?

So... your argument is; stack more people into an elite voting process = less bias thus resulting it having more credibility?

so why don't they let anybody vote?

For me, more people could mean more credibility. But in this case, including NT managers and players could introduce more bias potentially.

In any case, why is a bunch of media professionals more credible than NT managers and captains?
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:24

Cuss media professionals have a reputation to consider and owe no allegiances to their national team.. well not as much as Nt captains and Coaches.
But mostly due to the fact that they are involved and immersed into football 24/7 , debate and do research on their opinion. This is just my personal preference i'd rather listen to journalist who try to be objective, than Nt coaches and captains whose opinion's are politically motivated.
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:43

Rossoneri Ninja wrote:Cuss media professionals have a reputation to consider and owe no allegiances to their national team.. well not as much as Nt captains and Coaches.
But mostly due to the fact that they are involved and immersed into football 24/7 , debate and do research on their opinion. This is just my personal preference i'd rather listen to journalist who try to be objective, than Nt coaches and captains whose opinion's are politically motivated.

I dont really trust journalists to be objective or not politically motivated. It might be due to personal experience and bias, but they have greater incentives to become politically motivated and not just in terms of allegiance to the respective NTs.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference and i prefer more people voting the potential winner. In any case, both Balon D'or and FWPOTY would have been wrong in 2010. Xavi should have won it.

kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:56

Rossoneri Ninja wrote: This is just my personal preference i'd rather listen to journalist who try to be objective.

Very Happy Very Happy
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutti Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:57

There was too much attention on Xavi in 2010 due to WC and I wasn't so impressed with his WC performances. Other than that he was still behind Messi in that year.

Dutti
Dutti
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Thu 12 Jan 2012, 14:04

free_cat wrote:
Rossoneri Ninja wrote: This is just my personal preference i'd rather listen to journalist who try to be objective.

Very Happy Very Happy

Ahh Free lol

Key words " try to be"
Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Thu 12 Jan 2012, 14:06

I agree Sneijder should have won it 2009-10, fifa is a joke now
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by S32TABLANCA Thu 12 Jan 2012, 19:11

free_cat wrote:
Saetablanca wrote:
free_cat wrote:
Saetablanca wrote:Its not based about any criteria, not any more. They changed it so Messi could win in 2010. Now, its just a popularity contest.

Popularity contest?

Something really confuses me... - Page 2 Viz?q=Cristiano+Ronaldo,+Messi&date=all&geo=all&graph=weekly_img&sort=0&sa=N

According to Google Trends, Cristiano Ronaldo was more popular than Messi until 2009, as popular as Messi in 2010, and just less popular than Messi in 2011.

By your logic, he should have won Ballon D'Or 2009 and be at least second in 2010.

Isn't it just more likely that in World Football most people think Messi has been the best player by far this last 3 years, and thus, deserving to win the "best player of the season" award?

If we are talking about bad Ballon d'Or prizes, the benchmark is definitely not Messi in 2010, but Cannavaro in 2006.

Are you serious?

We all know the hate Ronaldo gets from pretty much everywhere but Real Madrid fans, and even some of those. Id go as far as to say that at least 70% of those mentions are negative ones. So your little graph doesnt make sense.

At least when Cannavaro won, the Ballon d'Or had specific standards, such as being biased towards the WC. They abandoned that for Messi in 2010, so that is worse.

Google trends has nothing to do with "mentions". It's a count of searches. I don't thihnk people who dislikes Ronaldo will search for his name, I, for instances, have never done that, while I've searched about Messi several times. It's a tremendous indicator on popularity.

Yeah, I'm sure every search you typed into Google was a subconcious vote of that thing as the best of its category. Rolling Eyes Get real mate.

As far as I know, the Ballon d'Or doesn't have any specific criteria on voting. They just ask their journalists and now captains and coaches who they think is the best player in the world for this season and they vote. Everyone considers the facotrs they want.

We all know in 2006 Cannavaro wasn't, by any means, the best player in the world. Perhaps not even the best player in Italy NT. While Messi was by far the best player in the world in 2010. In your opinion, Snejder should have won it by his acomplishments with your team. It's an opinion. The 400+ people who voted had another and prefered to vote the best player in the world by far. Deal with it.

No, do not make up stuff about what I think. I think Xavi should have won it, especially as the Ballon d'Or was meant to favour the WC.
S32TABLANCA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum