RealGunner
aford92
Eman
35 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

MMA/UFC Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: MMA/UFC Thread

Post by RealGunner Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:51 am

Just watched it. Conor controlled the entire fight lol. That boxing finish though.

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:55 pm

Khabib really does deserve a title shot. The guy is the best overall fighter in the weightclass sitting with the best perfect record and yet can't get a title shot Laughing

I'm sure he's pissed.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:25 pm

Firenze wrote:female fighters MMA/UFC Thread - Page 19 Hubie

bathroom break

inb4 moal

Laughing You don't like Jedrzejczyk?
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:50 pm

Has there ever been a better fighter than Conor? Will legit go down as GOAT
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:04 pm

John Cena
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:08 pm

ES wrote:Has there ever been a better fighter than Conor? Will legit go down as GOAT

and here we go :facepalm:

like the lad didn't just get finished  this year to someone outside the top 5 at LW/WW

anyway I have a feeling he will fight Nate for the trilogy and hope Ferguson can take out Khabib rather than defend against him
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:19 pm

lmao Conor isn't even the best fighter in his own weight class.

He's got his ass beat 3 times and he'll probably pussy out on giving a title shot to legit contenders like Khabib.

Holding two belts is historic but down't make him the best fighter.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:37 pm

Don't call me James wrote:Khabib really does deserve a title shot. The guy is the best overall fighter in the weightclass sitting with the best perfect record and yet can't get a title shot Laughing

I'm sure he's pissed.

Agreed, but I think Tony will get the next title shot. Tough one tbh, can see UFC shafting them both and making them fight each other, whilst Conor rematches Nate or takes an easier fight.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:41 pm

Connor has a better chance against Khabib than he does against Ferguson lol.

Ferguson is basically a bigger Diaz with a better chin and actually can leg kick, he'd be a nightmare for Connor.

Khabib he actually has a chance against because of how easy it is to hit him, I mean Johnson had success at doing that ffs.

He was taking consecutive shots to the face and you gonna allow Connor to do that?  Come off it lol.

Edit: Forget this I thought you were talking about Stephen Thompson lol and got confused between the two.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:52 pm

Next fight is definitely Connor vs Diaz 3 for the lightweight title.

Connor destroyed Alvarez last night Laughing Almost as bad as how he destroyed Aldo Laughing Can't believe there are people that still doubt him. He definitely is one of the GOATs.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:08 pm

how is he one of the GOAT? has 0 title defenses. Alvarez wasn't even regarded as the best in the division despite being the champ. Besides the RDA win he has 0 impressive performances in the UFC. It was always a very winnable fight. Mcgregor is a top fighter but he isn't in any GOAT debate atm even with the gifted title shot.

funny thing is I think he could possibly win a fight against Woodley at WW if for some crazy reason they gifted him a WW shot next Laughing

the size difference would be unreal but I think he could do it

Woodley walks around about 25 lbs heavier than Conor though, i'd probably back Woodley but I think Conor could beat him

anyway the Woodley Thompson fight last night was great, can't wait for the rematch
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:13 pm

He is a GOAT lol
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:18 pm

maybe to casuals
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:26 pm

also I think Conor will parade around as the two weight champ for 3-6 months and then vacate the FW belt. No way he will cut under the new rules and defend there again IMO.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:30 pm

Firenze wrote:how is he one of the GOAT? has 0 title defenses. Alvarez wasn't even regarded as the best in the division despite being the champ. Besides the RDA win he has 0 impressive performances in the UFC. It was always a very winnable fight. Mcgregor is a top fighter but he isn't in any GOAT debate atm even with the gifted title shot.

funny thing is I think he could possibly win a fight against Woodley at WW if for some crazy reason they gifted him a WW shot next Laughing

the size difference would be unreal but I think he could do it

Woodley walks around about 25 lbs heavier than Conor though, i'd probably back Woodley but I think Conor could beat him

anyway the Woodley Thompson fight last night was great, can't wait for the rematch

More like 40 pounds, Tyron walks around @ 205.

Either way he's too big for Conor, sure they similar height but that extra mass is going to be too much imo.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:31 pm

also don't think there's much interest on GL but FOTY will be on Dec 10th IMO

Badr Hari vs Rico Verhoeven in kickboxing :bow:

biggest kickboxing fight in years, Rico is training MMA and has been for years and will probably transition to it full time in the future, one of the better prospects at HW IMO. Best HW kickboxer on the planet atm vs Badr Hari who is batshit insane but also one of the best HW kickboxers ever. Hype as f.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:42 pm

As someone who trains, has boxed for a decade and has been following the UFC since pre-ultimate fighter days I find this whole McGregor thing to be really fun to watch. The casual fans are all over him and the 'hardcore fans' seem to be railing against his popularity purely on principle.

The truth is obviously as a showman there has never been a fighter like McGregor. At least not on the same level. From guys like Shamrock and Ortiz to Bisping and Sonnen nobody has ever captivated the MMA world like Conor has.

In terms of his performance and ability well, you have to respect what he brings to the table. He comes to fight. You can say he picks his spots but it's not like he's been fighting easy opponents regardless of whether or not they're a stylistic nightmare for him. Every single one of the best fighters up to this point have always had the same criticisms leveled at them about not fighting this that or the other guy because of the style and so on. At this point it's kind of hard not to say that he's earned the right to pick his opponent as long as he's not slumming it. As long as he keeps winning, and in dominant fashion as he has been against top level fighters (Diaz aside) it's hard to really criticize what he's doing. He's impressive also in the fact that he does keep evolving. He had a similar issue to Rousey in the first fight against Diaz in that he really believed too much in his own hype and while he didn't just stalk forward he definitely blew his load early and got himself in trouble, but he rebounded and really learned from that.

Anyway, where was I going with this? Oh yeah, McGregor is a great fighter. Alvarez was a legitimate opponent and I don't remember anyone ever making him look so pedestrian. Even the biggest Conor haters really should take a step back and appreciate what he's done here. It was a more impressive win on many levels than his flash KO of Aldo (even though Aldo is better than Alvarez).

There are a lot of interesting fights for him moving forward. I'd personally like to see him fight Ferguson only because Khabib has not had a lot of fights over the last few years and I think those are the two top lightweights. I don't know why you would say Ferguson is basically a bigger Diaz though because they're not really similar in style and Diaz is bigger. I think the Woodley/McGregor fight is another one that could be interesting though a massive risk for McGregor while Ferguson and Khabib square off for the opportunity to fight McGregor (maybe give Wonderboy/Maia a shot). Of course Cerrone is in the mix for both of those weights where he should be getting close to another shot as well so there's a lot going on.

Anyway great card, great fights, and full props to McGregor. I mean I kind of had him as a near lock to win this fight anyway but still to come out and absolutely dominate Alvarez like that was really impressive...also Firenze that's the most insane feat of toughness you've seen in MMA? Come on mate. Go watch Edgar vs. Maynard 2 and 3. Probably two of my favourite fights ever (along with the first Griffin/Rua fight just for the emotional and nostalgic side). Silva vs. Sonnen, maybe Sell vs. Smith which was hilarious. The Wonderboy one was ok but really he just got rocked and then Woodley made a bad decision trying so hard for a guillotine he was never going to get. That happens a lot look at Mir vs. Nogueira 2 too.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:54 pm

+1 Curtinho, its funny that some people still try to play him down because of opponents
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:01 pm

nobody is playing him down, that alvarez win was legit, he smashed him, I had it at 50/50 before the fight so wasn't expecting him to make short work of Alvarez like that, figured Alvarez could take a couple shots but he couldn't so I knew he was never gonna win with his sloppy takedown setups

it's the people calling him GOAT that are funny, he shouldn't even be in the debate at this point, though those are mostly the people that couldn't name 10 fighters not named McGregor for the most part.

I prefer Sonnen's showmanship tbh, he was Conor before Conor, the only difference is Conor can actually back up what he says. Although Sonnen was a great fighter too. I guess that's why Conor is more popular with the fans/casuals. It's not just bravado and selling the fight.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Also yeah at the time I thought Woodley had that Guillotine locked in tight. Rewatched the fight yesterday and he clearly didn't. Still pretty great from Wonderboy to recover and defend himself after being borderline finished on the feet. Tbh I expected Wonderboy to almost walk through Woodley, mostly with how he completely dominated Hendricks and then Rory (one of my fav fighters Sad ) basically had nothing for him. That was an impressive run.

Really hope there's an instant rematch. Woodley won in terms of doing more damage IMO but under UFC round/point based rules I had Thompson nudging it.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:28 pm

Yeah it's too early to call him the GoaT for sure but he's definitely building up to that point. He has already made history in a few ways in the sport and is just entering his prime. If he keeps showing a willingness to learn and train properly and doesn't let it go to his head he could definitely throw his hat in the ring for that title. Though as you said, it's still much too early for that.

I actually went in thinking Wonderboy all the way also, especially if you watch the Rory/Woodley fight. I'm the same I didn't quite give Woodley a 10-8 round in the 4th which made me think that Thompson had edged the fight but I could see where they saw it as a draw also (though I don't get the one judge scoring it in favour of Woodley).

I think that maybe Thompson had a little bit of stage fright and was playing it a bit too safe. Like obviously he had reason to because Woodley can be really explosive, but Wonderboy has more to offer and I think in a rematch if he can get over the psychological hurdles he should be able to win. Assuming they give him that rematch.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:15 am

"John Kavanagh on #themmahour says he thinks Diaz and Holloway are the two best contenders at 155/145. Thinks Diaz would beat Khabib/Ferg."
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:40 am

Diaz rofl he's a good fighter but not top 5 in the division

of course he would say that considering Conor has wins over both..although Holloway is much improved since..already ducking Khabib and Ferguson smh.

I still think he will fight Diaz again next
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:14 pm

Great performance by Conor, but he will avoid Khabib like the plague. He will never fight him.
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:09 pm

Khabib would stand small-to-no chance against Conor. His boxing is meh and Conor's takedown defence has gotten extremely good.

Khabib would have his face refurnished before they even got to the ground game where he could stand a chance.

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:33 pm

Laughing

How is his takedown D extremely good? Because he didn't get taken down by Diaz or a panicked Alvarez? Khabib would take him down at will and make Conor his bitch.
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next